Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Technical Analysis
Nov 21, 2007

I got 99 problems but the British ain't one.
Do priests have to have a specific skill? If so, could be that none of the worshippers of that religion have the required skills to be a priest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

I am playing on a metal rich embark and have an abundance of copper. My bar/block stockpile is full and is causing my smelters to be deeply cluttered. I made 100 copper bins and have the stockpile set to maximum bins, but it is only accepting wooden bins. The copper bins are just sitting idle in another stockpile. The stockpile settings are to accept all bars/blocks and both "additional options" are enabld. Why are my dwarfs only using wood bins and ignoring the copper bins?

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

unlike most veterans and SA members $10 is not a meaningful expenditure for me

I'm gonna have me a swag Bar-B-Q

Skunkduster posted:

I am playing on a metal rich embark and have an abundance of copper. My bar/block stockpile is full and is causing my smelters to be deeply cluttered. I made 100 copper bins and have the stockpile set to maximum bins, but it is only accepting wooden bins. The copper bins are just sitting idle in another stockpile. The stockpile settings are to accept all bars/blocks and both "additional options" are enabld. Why are my dwarfs only using wood bins and ignoring the copper bins?

I dunno, but I made the leap to quantum stockpiles to save myself this kind of trouble.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Trade all the copper bins to the mountainhome for more wood to make bins out of :pseudo:

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Skunkduster posted:

I think dwarves will only put a bin on an empty tile in the stockpile, so if you've got a bunch of tiles with say, a single bar of coke or copper or silver on it, until those get used for something and the tile gets cleared the dwarves won't see they can fit another bin in the stockpile.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

reignofevil posted:

I think dwarves will only put a bin on an empty tile in the stockpile, so if you've got a bunch of tiles with say, a single bar of coke or copper or silver on it, until those get used for something and the tile gets cleared the dwarves won't see they can fit another bin in the stockpile.

I know I've seen situations where a bin gets added to a stockpile, and then dwarves will swarm the pile and fill the bin with loose items from that pile. I kinda wish that that'd happen before the bin gets placed in the pile.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

Gnoman posted:

Something odd is going on in my current fort. One of the religions requested a dedicated temple, which I promptly dug out and started furnishing. Got the popup that it had reached Temple status and a priest could be appointed, but when I went to do that the list was blank. I can appoint performers, but not the priest.

On the screen where you add dancers etc, but up a bit, there should be a button for something that'll add priest to the list of jobs below it - you're basically sanctioning the church existing once it's fancy enough. THEN you can pick who's going to be priest.

I forget exactly what the button's called, below the information about how many chests and instruments you have, but above the + signs for the performers etc.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

reignofevil posted:

I think that may have been it - or maybe the wood bins were closer. Eventually, they started using the copper bins and all is well in the fort again.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Wolfechu posted:

On the screen where you add dancers etc, but up a bit, there should be a button for something that'll add priest to the list of jobs below it - you're basically sanctioning the church existing once it's fancy enough. THEN you can pick who's going to be priest.

I forget exactly what the button's called, below the information about how many chests and instruments you have, but above the + signs for the performers etc.

Yeah, I know that. My issue is once the Priest position is available there's nobody in the list, which I've not seen before and is preventing me from fulfilling the mandate.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Gnoman posted:

Yeah, I know that. My issue is once the Priest position is available there's nobody in the list, which I've not seen before and is preventing me from fulfilling the mandate.
Did something happen to depopulate your fort beforehand? If you lost 20 dwarfs to, you know, the usual, it's not impossible (if a little statistically weird) that you went from having 10-12 members of a faith to having 0 members.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Nope, I'm thriving.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Hello thread I'm gonna be dipping my toes in again after not playing since around release.

These are the only mods I have right now, plus DFHack. Are there any other major mods that are cool and good? Any big changes to gameplay from the patches previous to 50.10? I skimmed through all the notes and didn't see a whole lot of gameplay changes besides bug fixes, though I'll also count multi-threading as a gameplay change.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
i haven't played in a minute myself, did they ever restore the ability to manually specify up and down stairs and if not is there a mod for that

Turpitude
Oct 13, 2004

Love love love

be an organ donor
Soiled Meat

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Hello thread I'm gonna be dipping my toes in again after not playing since around release.

These are the only mods I have right now, plus DFHack. Are there any other major mods that are cool and good? Any big changes to gameplay from the patches previous to 50.10? I skimmed through all the notes and didn't see a whole lot of gameplay changes besides bug fixes, though I'll also count multi-threading as a gameplay change.

there is a mod that removes all aquifers that I cannot personally play without.

here's hoping the ammo fix in the patch notes makes marksdwarves functional

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

Admiral Joeslop posted:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2922749253&searchtext=

I like this one a lot, minor but makes leather from butchery more reasonably scale to animal size.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

My first migrant wave, three of the six Dwarves are Doctors.

Edit: Also a Legendary Stone Crafter, hell yeah.

Admiral Joeslop fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Sep 26, 2023

Grevlek
Jan 11, 2004

Admiral Joeslop posted:

My first migrant wave, three of the six Dwarves are Doctors.

Edit: Also a Legendary Stone Crafter, hell yeah.

The elites of your society are fleeing something terrible

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I should've bought it just to see what would happen.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I should've bought it just to see what would happen.

I believe it would have sat in your stockpile until you happened to have a dwarf that was really into worms. Then they would adopt it and carry it around on their shoulder.

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

I've always interpreted 'menaces with spikes of silk' as having tassels, pennants, ribbons or similar elements but the dwarves are very insistent to the human traders that it isn't a scepter with tassels but a scepter menacing with spikes of silk

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Captainicus posted:

I've always interpreted 'menaces with spikes of silk' as having tassels, pennants, ribbons or similar elements but the dwarves are very insistent to the human traders that it isn't a scepter with tassels but a scepter menacing with spikes of silk

I'm just tickled that they put a drawing of the scepter itself, on the scepter, in case someone didn't understand what it was.

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I'm just tickled that they put a drawing of the scepter itself, on the scepter, in case someone didn't understand what it was.

Oh right I didn't put two and two together that this was Oceanic Valinto

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Is there a mod or a way with DF Hack to save my entire work detail set up and load it on a fresh save? I hate redoing the whole thing every time I start anew.

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs
I decided to get back into DF after taking some months off, started off with a cute volcano fort and everything was going nicely. I settled far away from my civilization so I played with a low population fort for a couple of years, then got 30+ migrants in one wave. There I was, happily carving up more bedrooms, trying to rush out as many doors and beds as I can to get my new dwarfs settled in, when the wereelephant attacked.
It didn't even make it inside, only managed to slaughter my grazing animals, a child and a huntsdwarf before getting bested by a member of my militia, no big deal, right? Prepare some coffins, carve up some tombs and make sure my hospital is stocked up?
Yeah, now the wereelephant outbreaks started. This fort is hosed.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Werelephants is the most amazing curse. You are absolutely blessed.

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs
After one more wave of migrants into the meatgrinder I decided to pull the plug - lift the drawbridge and flood the fort with magma. Only two survivors remained, an uninfected miller stuck in my trade depot who I managed to send away before she perished, and my infected expedition leader, still doing tasks at the surviving upper level of the fort, haunted by his dead comrade, occasionally turning full elephant and rushing outside to gore wild animals or passerbys. A short but sweet run, never letting anyone who touched a werebeast back into the fort ever again.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Started a third fortress and realized I had been leaving Plant gatherers/Stonecutters/Engravers/Haulers/Orderlies work details on, despite having custom orders that are supposed to handle that. Explains why my labor was so bad..

Tambaloneus
Feb 5, 2007

I miss my cat someone buy me a kitten.

Does a dwarf need to be able to access a thing to attach a lever to it if the thing is locked in a room & the lever is outside the room? (trying to release something into the caverns for recon without opening the door it took way too long to fkn lock because if kids are going to play anywhere it'll be in the godsforsaken doorways).

Jawnycat
Jul 9, 2015

Tambaloneus posted:

Does a dwarf need to be able to access a thing to attach a lever to it if the thing is locked in a room & the lever is outside the room? (trying to release something into the caverns for recon without opening the door it took way too long to fkn lock because if kids are going to play anywhere it'll be in the godsforsaken doorways).

They need to be able to physically reach the thing to install the mechanisms into it.

Tambaloneus
Feb 5, 2007

I miss my cat someone buy me a kitten.

Jawnycat posted:

They need to be able to physically reach the thing to install the mechanisms into it.

I figured, cheers for the reply. ahh well time to install an air-lock or 'dumbass lock' wall & second doorway.

All You Can Eat
Aug 27, 2004

Abundance is the dullest desire.
Haven't played for a while. Is adventure mode out?

FurtherReading
Sep 4, 2007

All You Can Eat posted:

Haven't played for a while. Is adventure mode out?

Nope.

All You Can Eat
Aug 27, 2004

Abundance is the dullest desire.
nuts

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

DF keeps winning. Anyone else agree?

frytechnician
Jan 8, 2004

Happy to see me?

Lpzie posted:

DF keeps winning. Anyone else agree?

I'm nearing the end of the novice stage of understanding this game and let me tell you, the whole 'losing is fun' mantra, whilst I imagine is true, needs to be a bit clearer about how that actually works.

Personally sepaking, I find there's a hump in the game where it decides to ramp up the insanity and it's at that point you have to think of it as a comedic simulator that you have only semi control over. You spend a lot of effort getting the early planning part right and are encouraged to get your bedrooms and booze sorted asap, then you have a bit of breathing room for a few migrant waves before some if the wilder stuff starts happening. And that's the bit where the magic of the game starts to reveal itself, at least in my opinion.

You still need to manage and mine and plan etc. but you start to let go a lot more as you're now juggling SO much stuff that you actually stop sweating it as much as there's only so much you actually can do.

I'm looking forward to improving at this game but it does ask a lot in the beginning. Having said that, I can completely see that once you have your industry, military, accommodation and all the rest sorted as second nature, DF offers a pretty incredible and very funny experience that's worth the effort.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

losing is fun because DF is actually very easy once you actually know how to play, so it's not terribly competitive, and the enjoyment is in getting as far ahead of yourself as possible before you reach your limit and get your rear end beat

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs
The fun really ramps up once you have the basics down, then you can focus on silly projects, try and solve whatever problems the RNG throws your way, attempt embarks in more terrifying biomes and figure out more and more unique and fun ways to lose.

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs
Same world, new fort, AGAIN a wereelephant shows up two years in. This time everyone even slightly injured in the battle got exiled, tough luck but I'm not taking any chances.

Turpitude
Oct 13, 2004

Love love love

be an organ donor
Soiled Meat
Werebeasts are broken, if you dont turn them down to 0 in world gen then every fort goes into a death spiral when they show up. Just poo poo design

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Tanks still suck but you don't gotta hand it to the Axis either.

junan_paalla posted:

Same world, new fort, AGAIN a wereelephant shows up two years in. This time everyone even slightly injured in the battle got exiled, tough luck but I'm not taking any chances.

You do realize you are feeding werefants to the world by exiling them? I highly advice naming every exile ”SUS WERE” So you notice If they immigrate to your future fortress.