Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fatherboxx)

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 4 days!)

Kchama posted:

This implies that talking about the erased Jewish deaths automatically erased the non-Jewish deaths, since Blinken was specifically talking about how the Soviet Union officials were hiding that the dead were Jews...

It's more like the Soviets preferred to group all "victims of fascism" together for ideological reasons. The Nazis certainly went after 'Bolsheviks' as hard as they could. I've never concerned myself too much with why the USSR preferred to consider the dead as Soviet citizens first and foremost. Likewise some Poles prefer to consider the dead of Birkenau, for instance, as Polish, ahead of considering them Jews.
I just sort of consider it a mix of nationalism, victim-ism, and some degree of anti-Semitism. But that's not based on anything I've read up on.

The Holocaust wasn't about killing Poles or Soviets. It was about the elimination of the Jews and the Roma/Sinti. The fact they were Polish or Soviet (or French, Dutch, Hungarian, etc.) citizens was immaterial.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

The soviets mourned the Jews as fellow countrymen while the Polish government helped build the ovens even though Hitler's lebensraum explicitly targeted Polish and Soviet citizens for slavery and extermination.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Cpt_Obvious posted:

The soviets mourned the Jews as fellow countrymen while the Polish government helped build the ovens even though Hitler's lebensraum explicitly targeted Polish and Soviet citizens for slavery and extermination.

mourned doing some heavy lifting here

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
"polish government"

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Alan Smithee posted:

mourned doing some heavy lifting here

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Babi_Yar_memorials

quote:

During the years 1942-1945, Soviet media frequently reported about the events at Babi Yar, its victims being officially defined as Jewish, Ukrainian, Russian, whereby the considerable number of Roma victims was excluded.[1] Soviet leadership did not place any emphasis on the Jewish aspect of the Babi Yar tragedy; instead, it presented these atrocities as 'murder of peaceful Soviet people' in general, including the Jewish population into the wider Soviet people.[2] The first draft report of the Extraordinary State Commission (Чрезвычайная Государственная Комиссия), dated December 25, 1943 was officially censored in February 1944 as follows:[3]
Draft version
"The Hitlerist bandits committed mass murder of the Jewish population. They announced that on September 29, 1941, all the Jews were required to arrive to the corner of Melnykova and Dorohozhytska streets and bring their documents, money and valuables. The butchers marched them to Babi Yar, took away their belongings, then shot them."
Published version
"The Hitlerist bandits brought thousands of civilians to the corner of Melnykova and Dorohozhytska streets. The butchers marched them to Babi Yar, took away their belongings, then shot them."

The publishing of the ethnical makeup of the Babi Yar victims was not forbidden, only the size of victims among the civil population was not to be mentioned in mass media.[4] After 1945, following a push for recognition by Jewish intelligentsia, the Soviet government allowed for monuments emphasizing the Jewish character of Nazi victims.[5]

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Which one of those countries was wholly occupied again?

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Well to be fair the Soviets only agreed to let the Nazis occupy half of Poland.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend

Cpt_Obvious posted:

what in the gently caress are you smoking

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Revelation 2-13
May 13, 2010

Pillbug

Irony Be My Shield posted:

The current neofash support crew has revised that part of history to something along the lines of ‘Stalin didnt want mtrt-pact, it was a necessary measure to buy time’.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Cpt_Obvious posted:

What on Earth are you talking about???

There was *no* "Polish Government" on the territory of Poland left after the Germans and Soviets partitioned the Second Polish Republic.

Poland was split in three - the Germans annexed western Poland, the Soviets annexed the east, and a Nazi-run puppet state, the "General Government" under the Nazi Hans Frank ("Generalgouvernement für die besetzten polnischen Gebiete") had the area in the middle, centered on Krakow.

Did you think the General Government was run by *Poles*? Jesus Christ on a pogo-stick.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_Government

Rust Martialis fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Oct 1, 2023

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Right, and when Stalin mass-murdered the politically inconvenient Poles in his own half he filled the mass graves with entirely different people on entirely different days! He'd never target people for being Jewish after all - he was always very careful to call them "Zionists" outside of his private rants!

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

as somebody who lost an entire branch of the family in poland can i say this convo is incredibly depressing and cpt obvious is a moron

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

ethanol posted:

as somebody who lost an entire branch of the family in poland can i say this convo is incredibly depressing and cpt obvious is a moron

:same:

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

Oof. I, raised Jewish, don't even know that much about the details of the Soviet side but got lucky that my families from Poland and Russia somehow avoided the tragedies of WW22 (apparently they hosed off to Argentina and America, some after WW1). However, I don't know poo poo about anything outside of basic mainstream Holocaust knowledge.

Is there a thread or any other recommended reading in addition to the book cited to learn a bit more and understand just wtf happened in WW2 from the Holocaust perspective? So that I, the ignorant American, can gain perspective? PM is fine. All I ever heard growing up was the 6 million jews and saw yad vashem, but I clearly never learned about 90% of the rest.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

notwithoutmyanus posted:

Oof. I, raised Jewish, don't even know that much about the details of the Soviet side but got lucky that my families from Poland and Russia somehow avoided the tragedies of WW22 (apparently they hosed off to Argentina and America, some after WW1). However, I don't know poo poo about anything outside of basic mainstream Holocaust knowledge.

Is there a thread or any other recommended reading in addition to the book cited to learn a bit more and understand just wtf happened in WW2 from the Holocaust perspective? So that I, the ignorant American, can gain perspective? PM is fine. All I ever heard growing up was the 6 million jews and saw yad vashem, but I clearly never learned about 90% of the rest.

Actually I'll give a reading list a shot. There may be good ones out there - the US Holocaust Museum probably has some suggestions. Or Yad Vashem.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

you can start with this

https://www.refworld.org/docid/3ae6a865c.html

i encourage you to read about the history of jews in russia outside of the holocaust. it's about antisemitism in russia for centuries and the government turning around and using them when it was convenient and in their self interest, for a very limited number of years. and that is not to say anti semitism was suddenly gone in russia. my family was in poland because russia was worse for them. hitler made a point of saying russians were subhuman and jews were worse. and jews who escaped Russia were, well, a combination fo the worst things imaginable to him.

using the gray area to make a blanket statement like soviets loved and protected jews is hosed up. millions of jews were in poland because they were being murdered in russia. it was convenient for USSR to turn around at several points and blame the tsarists for this as a form of propaganda and try to recruit jews into cannon fodder. they would love to pretend they weren't the same people. and then im not even getting into USSR programs of jews

my source and many other jewish sources are the conversations, unpublished letters, family trees, pictures with captions of people murdered handed down in our families for the last 100 years. I encourage you to find published direct sources from survivors like this instead of trying to form blanket black vs white crap in your head about something incredibly complex

ethanol fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Oct 1, 2023

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Rust Martialis posted:

Actually I'll give a reading list a shot. There may be good ones out there - the US Holocaust Museum probably has some suggestions. Or Yad Vashem.

Great suggestion. The US Holocaust Museum is excellent and sobering, and they have several lists of book recommendations available for all types of readers.

https://www.ushmm.org/research/publications/books

https://www.ushmm.org/teach/teaching-materials/books-literature

Kaal fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Oct 1, 2023

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holocaust_victims

If you occasionally want to get kind of sad and depressed, pretty much any article here will do it: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:The_Holocaust

E:the Shoah by gas in the camps is what people usually think of and what most people learn about, but the Shoah by bullets in the occupied Soviet Union is in many ways more horrific to read about. It was largely because of the psychological stress on the killing squads from taking part in mass executions that the Nazis moved to the camp/gas system.

Kaiser Schnitzel fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Oct 1, 2023

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

ethanol posted:

you can start with this

https://www.refworld.org/docid/3ae6a865c.html

i encourage you to read about the history of jews in russia outside of the holocaust. it's about antisemitism in russia for centuries and the government turning around and using them when it was convenient and in their self interest, for a very limited number of years.
"Jews in Russia" is something of a bad formulation given the Pale of Settlement meant that Jews in Russian empire were largely restricted to places other than Russia proper, like Ukraine, Belarus, and Poland [1]. While Soviet Union did not have that restriction, by WW2 demographics still largely reflected that, and of course all those places were fully occupied... (Some people were evacuated, like my Grandmother).

[1] And of course it's important to point out that a crazy amount of anti-Semitism towards Jews in Ukrainian land was from Ukrainians...

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

OddObserver posted:

"Jews in Russia" is something of a bad formulation given the Pale of Settlement meant that Jews in Russian empire were largely restricted to places other than Russia proper, like Ukraine, Belarus, and Poland [1]. While Soviet Union did not have that restriction, by WW2 demographics still largely reflected that, and of course all those places were fully occupied... (Some people were evacuated, like my Grandmother).

[1] And of course it's important to point out that a crazy amount of anti-Semitism towards Jews in Ukrainian land was from Ukrainians...

and how did the demographic of people who were let back in Russia do post 1945 when all of those countries were USSR

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

ethanol posted:

and how did the demographic of people who were let back in Russia do post 1945 when all of those countries were USSR

Sorry, I didn't mean to discount Russian anti-Semitism or state anti-Semitism of USSR (my family is quite familiar with that first hand), just to state that Russian Empire was so anti-Semitic it tried to keep Jews out of actual Russia, which also concentrated victims in easier reach of the nazis.

Jazzy Jones
May 25, 2008

notwithoutmyanus posted:

If you ever come to Poland/Warsaw check Polin - Museum of the History of Polish Jews.

https://www.polin.pl/en

If I could suggest a book, I would try to find "Righteous How Poles rescued Jews from the Holocaust by Grzegorz Gorny , Janusz Rosikon".

Jazzy Jones fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Oct 1, 2023

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

notwithoutmyanus posted:

We have a history book thread, and Cyrano is a bona fide historian of WW2/post-WW2 Germany.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3458502

It really depends on how you want to approach this, but nothing has quite as visceral an impact as a survivor account. Primo Levi's If This is a Man was really memorable for me. Levi was a chemist, and he combines analytical observation with philosophical musings on human nature, as he recounts the horror of the camps, and how different people tried to cope and survive.

If you'd rather have a more detached overview about what the lastest scholarship on the why and how of the Holocaust says, ask in the book thread, people there can give you some good recommendations.

Dopilsya
Apr 3, 2010

Cpt_Obvious posted:

gently caress you.

Seriously mods? This kind of poo poo is considered okay here?

This is more than that bullshit post deserves, but for anyone lurking who hasn't put this sack of poo poo on ignore, to be clear- After the Nazi invasion of Poland, the western portion of Poland was annexed and ruled over by Nazi Germany, the eastern portion annexed and ruled over by the USSR and a central rump state was created which the Nazis considered making into a puppet state similar to what they would do in Norway, but not finding sufficient support for it, the Nazis left it as an administrative rump state ruled which they appointed German Nazi party officials to rule over. In Poland there were collaborators, there was societal anti-semitism (Jan Gross's book Neighbors is a good one on that), but there was not a Polish government building the ovens to throw the Jews and Poles into for the Nazis and it's loving disgusting to try to lay a sick burn saying there was in order to leap to the defense of Soviet Union over some twitter slapfight with Anthony loving Blinken.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

^^Welp, can't disagree there

Hannibal Rex posted:

We have a history book thread, and Cyrano is a bona fide historian of WW2/post-WW2 Germany.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3458502

It really depends on how you want to approach this, but nothing has quite as visceral an impact as a survivor account. Primo Levi's If This is a Man was really memorable for me. Levi was a chemist, and he combines analytical observation with philosophical musings on human nature, as he recounts the horror of the camps, and how different people tried to cope and survive.

If you'd rather have a more detached overview about what the lastest scholarship on the why and how of the Holocaust says, ask in the book thread, people there can give you some good recommendations.

Jean Amery has a funny (if this discussion can ever be funny, both of them killed themselves) discourse with Primo.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Rust Martialis posted:

It's more like the Soviets preferred to group all "victims of fascism" together for ideological reasons. The Nazis certainly went after 'Bolsheviks' as hard as they could. I've never concerned myself too much with why the USSR preferred to consider the dead as Soviet citizens first and foremost. Likewise some Poles prefer to consider the dead of Birkenau, for instance, as Polish, ahead of considering them Jews.
I just sort of consider it a mix of nationalism, victim-ism, and some degree of anti-Semitism. But that's not based on anything I've read up on.

The Holocaust wasn't about killing Poles or Soviets. It was about the elimination of the Jews and the Roma/Sinti. The fact they were Polish or Soviet (or French, Dutch, Hungarian, etc.) citizens was immaterial.

I was just saying that 'a flaming stink' was saying that talking about the erased Jews was automatically erasing the non-Jews slain, since as you said, Blinken was specifically talking about a massacre of Jews.

Anyways, saying that talking about massacred Jews during the Holocaust and how their Jewishness was erased is 'Holocaust Denial' is somehow one of the dumbest things I've ever heard.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
If anyone's interested in how attitudes towards Jews and Jewishness changed during the Soviet era, and especially Stalin's role in those changes, but maybe intimidated by the more in-depth academic works on the subject, as a good broad-strokes primer, I can recommend Leonid Parfenov's three-part documentary Russian Jews. It's in Russian, but someone uploaded a subtitled version that on my cursory examination looks translated fairly well.

Part I (Before the Revolution) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FfN3yQJxe8E
Part II (1918-1948) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2dgWV63GMc
Part III (After 1948) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlyQjKnbE5Y

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Paladinus posted:

If anyone's interested in how attitudes towards Jews and Jewishness changed during the Soviet era, and especially Stalin's role in those changes, but maybe intimidated by the more in-depth academic works on the subject, as a good broad-strokes primer, I can recommend Leonid Parfenov's three-part documentary Russian Jews. It's in Russian, but someone uploaded a subtitled version that on my cursory examination looks translated fairly well.

Part I (Before the Revolution) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FfN3yQJxe8E
Part II (1918-1948) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2dgWV63GMc
Part III (After 1948) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlyQjKnbE5Y

I can attest, it is an excellent series, and the "Russian Georgians" one that he made later is great too.
One story that I learnt about from it is especially emblematic of Stalin's paranoia towards jews - the Jewish Antifascist Comittee https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jewish_Anti-Fascist_Committee, led by theater director Solomon Mikhoels, that did agitational tours to US to raise support for Soviet war effort, but after the war, Mikhoels was murdered by security agents.

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

Cpt_Obvious has the dubious honor of being the og toxic derailment guy for the entire history of the Ukraine war thread, starting literally on page one of the first one, and we've had multiple go arounds of those super awesome moments of him dropping toxic historical or topical revisionism and/or total barrage employment of weapons grade JAQ'ing that is guaranteed to create these situations

This time it is a really beyond the pale moment so it's probably a great time to ask if another clearinghouse probe of everyone who did not take their fellow poster in good faith and instead fell to Acrimony and Personal Insult is warranted

In case the answer is yes sign me up to join whatever punishments these posts get

quote:

Dopilsya posted:

gently caress you.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC
DeepState, a pro-Ukr mapping and OSINT group has essentially called the '23 Summer Offensive a bust. It's tough to say otherwise. This tweet has the best translated english text I could find from the telegram post.

https://twitter.com/JulianRoepcke/status/1708389571157803077

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

MikeC posted:

DeepState, a pro-Ukr mapping and OSINT group has essentially called the '23 Summer Offensive a bust. It's tough to say otherwise. This tweet has the best translated english text I could find from the telegram post.

https://twitter.com/JulianRoepcke/status/1708389571157803077

That seems like an overly-pessimistic way to read that, assuming the translation is correct. Considering the TLDR of it was "Ukraine's proven itself able to defeat Russia with its superior infantry, but its freedom will not be won before 2024", which is a 'duh'. The offensive isn't over, and it is still making ground, and importantly has MADE ground.

Kchama fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Oct 2, 2023

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
Have the Ukrainians gotten any closer to the Donetsk airport?

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
https://twitter.com/thedailybeast/status/1708333433754173721

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

MikeC posted:

DeepState, a pro-Ukr mapping and OSINT group has essentially called the '23 Summer Offensive a bust. It's tough to say otherwise.

Let me try:

They took back a lot of land, never got pushed back anywhere for long, and have radically stepped up attacks in Russia itself. There is nothing on the horizon that seems likely to improve Russia's situation, and there's nothing in the immediate future that is going to make Ukraine stop attacking.

gently caress were you expecting, them to be marching into Moscow by now?

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Mulva posted:

Let me try:

They took back a lot of land, never got pushed back anywhere for long, and have radically stepped up attacks in Russia itself. There is nothing on the horizon that seems likely to improve Russia's situation, and there's nothing in the immediate future that is going to make Ukraine stop attacking.

Probably they were hoping they'd reach Tokmak or otherwise breach the Russian lines, op

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Fuligin posted:

Probably they were hoping they'd reach Tokmak or otherwise breach the Russian lines, op

It’s not like they’ve been stopped entirely or anything. The battles are still ongoing. Anyone who though it was going to be quick and easy weren’t thinking.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
https://www.businessinsider.com/russia-using-ka-52-helicopter-less-ukraine-got-good-at-destroying-isw-2023-9

quote:

Russia is scaling back its use of the feared Ka-52 attack helicopter after Ukraine got good at taking them out: ISW

Lol
https://twitter.com/Gerashchenko_en/status/1708034039184011298
https://twitter.com/HerrDr8/status/1707873115366105426
https://www.forbes.com/sites/davida...k&ICID=ref_fark

quote:

When a Ukrainian tanker with the callsign 'Kochevnik' ran into problems with his captured Russian T-72B3, he called Uralvagonzavod tech support in Russia. And incredibly, the help line actually helped.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Mulva posted:

Let me try:

From what I recall, Ukraine, US, Europe, etc. wanted one strong push towards the Black Sea that they thought this would have been possible by the Fall. Obviously, it's not happening now.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

From what I recall, Ukraine, US, Europe, etc. wanted one strong push towards the Black Sea that they thought this would have been possible by the Fall. Obviously, it's not happening now.

Ukraine’s backers’ opinion on what might be possible seemed to be shaped by various wars where air superiority was attained and when the ground assaults took place they were opposed by already attrited forces.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koos Group
Mar 6, 2013

Cpt_Obvious posted:

I'd like to make a note. While this was a foolish and possibly dishonest post, the reason I didn't probate it is because it led to good debate in response, featuring material many people would not know and could used to respond to another person bringing up a similar argument.