Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized

Halo14 posted:

Drives me bonkers that Cantlay doesn’t wear a hat. Think it’s because the sun tries to kill us down in Australia.

https://twitter.com/jamiecweir/status/1708040617190670588?t=aN-sEnlQTonLe3MsPnQTtg&s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

Since moving to the Myrtle Beach area a year ago I’ve debated getting a membership at one of the clubs but didn’t want a monthly fee or a huge buy in, so I bought the MB Golf Passport which just gets me discounted rates at almost every club around.

Grand Dunes (where the MB Invitational will be next year) is $224 for an 8am this Tuesday. Passport discount is $133. I don’t plan on playing there lol, plenty of just as nice courses I can play for $40-50.

So yeah, not joining a club, no point in this area.

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

STRONG as an OX and TWICE as SMART
Man, if Zach Johnson just wants 8 guys to go to Rome and play like absolute dog poo poo, my friends and I are free. Koepka and Scheffler losing 9 & 7 is wild.

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

What the gently caress Jordan. What the gently caress Zach.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

What a 3 wood from Rory Jesus

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

mattfl posted:

What a 3 wood from Rory Jesus

LOL the previous holes he went driver/SW to cover 507 yards onto the green. He’s an alien.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

https://twitter.com/stu_fraser/status/1708151846378901867?s=46&t=IW0MSOWK0Lh4VsB3wVLoOA

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.
Guy who made 13 million dollars this year whining about not getting paid.

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

Hats are overrated.

Cantlay carrying the team.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Then he went and won 17 and 18.

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/ForePlayPod/status/1708171158879601032

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Can we tell who he is yelling at?

Rogue Elephant
May 1, 2007

BonoMan posted:

Can we tell who he is yelling at?

It's Cantlay's caddie. He got a little animated at that same caddie on the 18th green for celebrating Cantlay's putt while Europe still had to go, Lowry was barking too

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Dangit can't all those nice boys just get along?

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Supposedly his caddy was waving his hat the same way the fans in the “hats off to your bank account” tweet were doing to dis the fans back. Good clean fun!

Anno
May 10, 2017

https://twitter.com/kyleportercbs/status/1708183864160538879?s=46&t=IW0MSOWK0Lh4VsB3wVLoOA

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

I Mean I'm all for LaCava giving some back to the fans, but (on the back half of that clip) I do think he was a little too close to Rory. He probably should have done it back towards the fringe.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I know it's been said a million times but 2025 is just going to be a dumpster fire. This has been getting a little chippy already, now imagine adding in a ton of New York/Jersey/Boston etc. sports fans.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Anno posted:

I know it's been said a million times but 2025 is just going to be a dumpster fire. This has been getting a little chippy already, now imagine adding in a ton of New York/Jersey/Boston etc. sports fans.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uat_jBT-zLk

Rogue Elephant
May 1, 2007

BonoMan posted:

I Mean I'm all for LaCava giving some back to the fans, but (on the back half of that clip) I do think he was a little too close to Rory. He probably should have done it back towards the fringe.

I don't have a huge issue with when he was waving his cap, yeah he was a bit close but poo poo happens. It was La Cava continuing to talk while Rory was crouched and concentrating that has me a little uh. miffed, and I'm an American. Gonna hear a lot of poo poo from my Irish friends about that one I suspect

Anno
May 10, 2017

It’s weird but maybe only because golfers are huge babies? Idk. Every night of my league the team finishing last has way more to deal with than this.

That it took Joe LaCava of all people to actually go out there and spark some amount of fire under the American team is an indictment.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)
Strokes gained from morning session. Koepka/Scheffler a combined -8.5 over just 11 holes.
https://x.com/DataGolf/status/1708068660579868805?s=20

Total strokes gained here--nice to see Homa playing well:
https://x.com/DataGolf/status/1708172745190625530?s=20

Omerta posted:

Post-covid demand really increased initiation fees. My club in ATL has a 5-year waitlist even after raising initiation to $125k.

Where are you thinking about joining? I love Olympia Fields. That’s probably my favorite Chicago course (better than Chicago Golf Club imo), though I haven’t played Shoreacres yet.
One of the many interchangeable north shore clubs. Not one of the better ones.

Olympia Fields is fantastic and I think still pretty cheap (relatively). I was getting a little worried about its continued viability pre-covid (I heard initiation fees were getting down to very low five figures), but it seems pretty solid for the time being. But that's over an hour away from me.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

Rogue Elephant posted:

It's Cantlay's caddie. He got a little animated at that same caddie on the 18th green for celebrating Cantlay's putt while Europe still had to go, Lowry was barking too

That's Bones in the video.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
So I bought some ONOFF Kuros from golfpartnerusa when they were running their bigger clearance sale at the start of september, 4-pw, with AMT whites in s200 (jdm shaft not available in the states, we get s300). These are the low spin low loft shafts out of the lineup.

I've got my skytrak set up now, but not my impact screens, so I'm limited to sci-core or almost golf balls which do have some known limitations, however, these AMT Whites are deffo living up to their billing as low spin and low launch. I've noticed my previous irons (Sub 70 799 super game improvement irons) are also launching lower and traveling shorter than expected based on my course numbers from shotscope. Their spin isn't always lower than expected, but it is inconsistent.

I'm a noob, I'm trying to work on my swing. Is this a ghost I'm chasing? What should I be doing to increase spin and height? I've never had a problem with height on a course or range provided I make decent contact (a thing I'm working on obv).

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Considering you just started playing, you probably shouldn’t be anywhere near a set of ONOFF Kuros since they appear to be forged blades which are hard for everyone to hit.

If you want height out of the box look for some game improvement irons. Mizuno’s JPX series is great, but so are most brands GI clubs to be fair.

The other option is always, always spend that new club money on lessons instead

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

"low spin" heads and shafts are also extremely player/swing dependent. I play zx7s with modus tour 120 stiffs, which are supposed to be low spin heads and low spin shafts. Because of my delivery I spin my 7 iron around 7100 rpm.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Those are hollow body forged irons, not true blades, so they should have a bit more forgiveness and speed.

Typically you get more spin and more height by increasing speed. I wouldn't try to manipulate your swing and change your mechanics too much, just focus on consistency and the speed will come.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

Shrapnig posted:

Considering you just started playing, you probably shouldn’t be anywhere near a set of ONOFF Kuros since they appear to be forged blades which are hard for everyone to hit.

If you want height out of the box look for some game improvement irons. Mizuno’s JPX series is great, but so are most brands GI clubs to be fair.

The other option is always, always spend that new club money on lessons instead

Kuros are hollow body player's distance irons, starting in 2019 which is the year model I purchased. I know these are above my ability, one reason I bought them is I wanted something to use on the simulator that would really tell me when/where I hosed up, whereas my 799's mask everything that isn't an egregious error.

Lessons are on my list but work travel just started back up for me and it's making my schedule unpredictable, noted though.

Suprfli6 posted:

Those are hollow body forged irons, not true blades, so they should have a bit more forgiveness and speed.

Typically you get more spin and more height by increasing speed. I wouldn't try to manipulate your swing and change your mechanics too much, just focus on consistency and the speed will come.

Thanks for this, it has been a battle in my own head to try to get "don't try to swing hard" to stick. The simulator being "unlimited use" unlike a range, and always available, will hopefully let me relax more and focus on consistency and technique.

I've noticed if I fall back into "casting" my spin will go up but distance down (only a bit) as opposed to maintaining shaft lean for compression. My 6i club speed tends to max at 80mph and is more frequently in the low 70's, so it may be that I just don't have the speed yet to compress the ball properly?

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Homa for President of the USA

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

Homa for President of the USA

gently caress yeah!

Homa has Ryder cup invites forever.

Anno
May 10, 2017

So did Rickie just a) not know conceding that putt conceded the tournament or b) not want to miss his own 8 footer after rinsing the drive to lose it

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

GEMorris posted:

I've noticed if I fall back into "casting" my spin will go up but distance down (only a bit) as opposed to maintaining shaft lean for compression. My 6i club speed tends to max at 80mph and is more frequently in the low 70's, so it may be that I just don't have the speed yet to compress the ball properly?

80mph 6 iron is on the slower side. What kind of yardage are you getting/expecting from that?

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

mattfl posted:

gently caress yeah!

Homa has Ryder cup invites forever.

Harman too - he definitely was still playing with that chip on his shoulder from his treatment at the Open.

Anno posted:

So did Rickie just a) not know conceding that putt conceded the tournament or b) not want to miss his own 8 footer after rinsing the drive to lose it

Yeah, that was a strange one. I don't think it was either really, more of a case of golf decorum poisoning taking over in a moment of extreme disappointment? He had to know it was for the cup. I don't think he's the kinda guy to concede just to avoid the bogey he earned on his own.

Whatever it was, you gotta make Milfhunter putt that.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

xsf421 posted:

80mph 6 iron is on the slower side. What kind of yardage are you getting/expecting from that?

Ideally I'd like to be getting 160 carry and decent dispersion from a 6i +/- a club. I've been getting 165 total according to shotscope, and 145 carry / 160 total on the skytrak with sci-core foam balls.

My goal is to be a decent social golfer who can tee from the 6000-6500 tees and not spend a ton of time hunting for balls. Its going to take me time to get there I know. Im 43 and while I'm not visibly out of shape I'm not someone who normally works out (although I may start). My driver swing speed is around 95.

GEMorris fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Oct 1, 2023

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

GEMorris posted:

I'm a noob, I'm trying to work on my swing. Is this a ghost I'm chasing? What should I be doing to increase spin and height? I've never had a problem with height on a course or range provided I make decent contact (a thing I'm working on obv).

I'm not a good golfer by any stretch but rather than spin and height I think you want to focus on impact location on the face, and face angle at impact. Once I started doing drills to improve those specifically I got noticeably better

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

Urethane posted:

I'm not a good golfer by any stretch but rather than spin and height I think you want to focus on impact location on the face, and face angle at impact. Once I started doing drills to improve those specifically I got noticeably better

What drills did you do? I’m on the lookout for stuff to work on face angle.

Edit: also, what effect does different lies have on the ball flight? I.e above / below feet etc?

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

Urethane posted:

This is totally fair and good advice. My focus on backspin is more that it is a metric I have access to, as opposed to say strike location and face to path angle. I bought a used Skytrak, as the Skytrak+ was too much $ and the doppler units (which cost comparable money once you have that kind of data) don't fit my space.

Oodles posted:

Edit: also, what effect does different lies have on the ball flight? I.e above / below feet etc?

Assuming a right handed player, a ball above feet will draw and a ball below feet will push. If it helps think of the effect being perpendicular to the ground, if it's flat then there is no effect, if it is sloped the ball will naturally go the direction of a perpendicular line to the slope.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
I have literally no one else in my life who would give a poo poo. All the people I golf with barely keep score. But after 3 long years of grinding, I'm finally at single digit. :buddy:

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan
Congrats dude!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

ElGroucho posted:

I have literally no one else in my life who would give a poo poo. All the people I golf with barely keep score. But after 3 long years of grinding, I'm finally at single digit. :buddy:

:cheers:

That's awesome, congrats!