Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Augus posted:

the cyberspace stages give you things that are required to unlock sonic's trials but like the keys in the base game you can also get these from cylooping random spots because sonic frontiers

Are there still Big fishing spots in the DLC area?

flavor.flv posted:

Please never reveal what this was supposed to say

Seems accurate to me at least

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Yeah no that's accurate

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Oh my god, Amy's max boost ability is the best thing.

So far, Amy is definitely my favorite part of this.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

flavor.flv posted:

Please never reveal what this was supposed to say

I don't even remember making the post

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

The final confrontation is so badass lol

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Sonic Megathread: They use the existing toilets but the layouts are all new

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Man I really don't like these tower climbs. I hosed up on the second one where you homing attack some wall things and now I have no idea how im supposed to get back up cause the walls just aren't there anymore and I have no way to progress unless I can land on a tiny rear end wall?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Oxyclean posted:

Man I really don't like these tower climbs. I hosed up on the second one where you homing attack some wall things and now I have no idea how im supposed to get back up cause the walls just aren't there anymore and I have no way to progress unless I can land on a tiny rear end wall?

Yeah that one is messed up. You have to get far enough away that you reload the tower to make them respawn, or die.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Oxyclean posted:

It's not hard to land on that wall and walk along them. I fell off after that like 10 times

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Evil Eagle posted:

It's not hard to land on that wall and walk along them. I fell off after that like 10 times
I started doing that but I keep loving up further up the tower, it's so frustrating.

I refuse to believe people without dev console playtested this.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

The tower climbing was probably my least favorite part of the main game (aside from maybe the third island minus the awesome boss fight) so I’m not looking forward to doing that again here. That said, I have heard in this thread that lowering the difficulty setting makes things a bit more bearable

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Oxyclean posted:

I was too stubborn to quit and reload so I had to land on the loving walls and walk. :lol:

Second and fourth tower are absolutely nuts, yeah.

And Tails, I don't wanna spoil too much, but when he gets his abilities fully spun up, oh my god. :stare:

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

the new cyberspace levels are really good

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Finally doing my second play through now that all the DLC is here. I couldn't find where new game+ is, so I started a new file. And man 1-2 is way harder than I remembered it being. It's been so long that I can't even get closer than 9 seconds away from the S rank time tonight.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Hrist posted:

Finally doing my second play through now that all the DLC is here. I couldn't find where new game+ is, so I started a new file. And man 1-2 is way harder than I remembered it being. It's been so long that I can't even get closer than 9 seconds away from the S rank time tonight.

It’s moot now but New Game+ should be right on the main menu (if not, load up your clear game save and it’ll unlock automatically assuming you have the DLC installed)

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Larryb posted:

It’s moot now but New Game+ should be right on the main menu (if not, load up your clear game save and it’ll unlock automatically assuming you have the DLC installed)

I'm playing on Steam, and uninstalled it after I beat it a year ago. So maybe that's why it's not showing up. I probably have to beat the final boss again to trigger the option or something.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Took me four repetitions of the final boss's first phase to figure out how to actually progress the fight, but if you remember how the fight with Knight ended, it's a nice clue (which I suppose is what the boss rush trial was there for)

Why else would the boss have a second point you could target, I guess?

Also, the name of the new forms are:

Vinylshadow fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Oct 1, 2023

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
I kind of hate how Knuckles feels. Which is a shame because I was having a blast as Amy.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Hrist posted:

The top path at the beginning is a trap, a honeypot that preys on your Sonic instincts in a bid to slow you down. Go low right away and never stop boosting, that saves a ton of time.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

So can Knuckles not climb walls in this game or something given how I heard earlier about needing to abuse the infinite flight glitch to get an emerald easily at one point?

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Hrist posted:

1-2 is basically a proto-expert mode stage when it comes to S-Rank timing. On expert mode they pretty much didn’t change the ranking timings since it was already pretty strict.

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

The top path at the beginning is a trap, a honeypot that preys on your Sonic instincts in a bid to slow you down. Go low right away and never stop boosting, that saves a ton of time.

I was skipping rail loops, air boosting over sections of level, and it still wasn't close. That beginning bit explains it. I'll have to try that next time. :negative:

Ventana posted:

1-2 is basically a proto-expert mode stage when it comes to S-Rank timing. On expert mode they pretty much didn’t change the ranking timings since it was already pretty strict.

I've honestly been dreading seeing the times for those. I had a feeling they'd be tight like this, instead of being lenient by a casual 30+ seconds like the rest.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I'm confused why Amy/Knuckles/Tails have the digital effect as playable characters? Prior to the "storyline split" the crew became physical again, but then went back to being digital so Sonic wouldn't be corrupted anymore, and Sage's new plan is to undo that, and have them help. Wouldn't that imply they should be physical?

Larryb posted:

So can Knuckles not climb walls in this game or something given how I heard earlier about needing to abuse the infinite flight glitch to get an emerald easily at one point?
He can only climb designated surfaces - ones that Sonic could wall walk, and new red variants.

Also, speaking of - it's really awkward how characters lack certain skills - Amy not having wall walk was weird cause I feel like I cheesed my way through a section that I wasn't sure how it expected me to do. (Getting to the Koco Hermit on the remote island)

Tails not having homing attack made even doing a section designed for him feel a bit awkward since you sort of had to just hover precisely overtop a spring.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Speaking of, can the other 3 characters get upgrades at all or are they pretty much just locked into a specific set of skills/speed/rings?

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Larryb posted:

Speaking of, can the other 3 characters get upgrades at all or are they pretty much just locked into a specific set of skills/speed/rings?
they have skill trees you need to fill out to get their full kits - there's Koco around the map that give you a big bundle of skill points for specific characters - it's basically a new form of collectable.

and everyone can upgrade attack/def/rings/speed, but it looks like they all do so separately? The various little platforming challenges now give the upgrade thingys rather then the character tokens, and Starfall now causes koco and the atk/def powerups to spawn everywhere.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Oxyclean posted:

they have skill trees you need to fill out to get their full kits - there's Koco around the map that give you a big bundle of skill points for specific characters - it's basically a new form of collectable.

and everyone can upgrade attack/def/rings/speed, but it looks like they all do so separately? The various little platforming challenges now give the upgrade thingys rather then the character tokens, and Starfall now causes koco and the atk/def powerups to spawn everywhere.

Are there still Fishing Spots around the new map as well? Or from the sound of it is there enough you can find just by exploring/doing challenges not to need them?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Oct 1, 2023

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
In my opinion, Sonic Frontiers, asking me to time my parries is toxic behavior and it is cancel culture.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
got to the dlc last boss and i'm struggling to beat it because you need to lock onto a specific part of it that the game won't let me manually lock onto so i just have to wiggle around hoping the autolock will lock onto it during a time sensitive segment where you only have a few seconds to do that. cool

acetcx
Jul 21, 2011

The Colonel posted:

got to the dlc last boss and i'm struggling to beat it because you need to lock onto a specific part of it that the game won't let me manually lock onto so i just have to wiggle around hoping the autolock will lock onto it during a time sensitive segment where you only have a few seconds to do that. cool

I haven't gotten there myself yet but I saw someone complaining about it on reddit and it was suggested that locking on to the first part then using R to dodge helps you lock on to the second part.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

The Colonel posted:

You can definitely deal with that part with 1 cyloop but I only ever did that on accident. The way I finally took it down was to quick cyloop the head, then regular cyloop, then get as close as possible and quick cyloop again. seemed to work fairly consistently

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

acetcx posted:

I haven't gotten there myself yet but I saw someone complaining about it on reddit and it was suggested that locking on to the first part then using R to dodge helps you lock on to the second part.

i tried that a few times and it never helped me in any way. i did eventually beat the boss but it was by pure luck

i enjoyed the ending and the new playable characters, but otherwise i found actually playing most of this dlc pretty miserable. the titan fights aren't really fun to engage with as real difficult stressful challenges because of how long they are and how many unskippable cinematics you have to sit through every time you fight them, the towers didnt play to what i enjoy about sonic platforming, and the final boss just didnt feel good to fight in any way to me even once i figured out what you have to do to beat it. the lack of actual new locations to use the new characters in also kind of dampens the fun of using them, i hope they give knuckles, amy and tails more interesting environments to play in in the next game, instead of just tossing in these fun movesets that you only really have a limited area to play in with.

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Oct 1, 2023

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Hrist posted:

I was skipping rail loops, air boosting over sections of level, and it still wasn't close. That beginning bit explains it. I'll have to try that next time. :negative:

I've honestly been dreading seeing the times for those. I had a feeling they'd be tight like this, instead of being lenient by a casual 30+ seconds like the rest.

I don't know if it helps, but imo even on expert mode 1-2 is easily among the top 5 hardest stages for S-ranking, because it's very unclear what the fastest path is and even if you know the margin of error is very very small. There were a couple of other expert mode stages that I had more retries on, but those were mostly trial and error on finding the right paths. But even for those, and for all the rest of them, none of them felt like they had the small margin of error that 1-2 has.

I'd say if you don't completely hate trying to get the S-Rank for 1-2, then you'll probably be fine with expert mode times. It'll be similar process, if not a bit easier, it's just that they will all be like that. I love that kind of stuff so I had a blast.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
lol beating Giganto and Knight, having 200 rings left, and then getting hit three times by Knight in the pre-fight stage because he can just make spikes appear underneath you whenever he wants!

gently caress me.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Beat the DLC. Overall it's a massive improvement over the base game's ending, but I'm of two minds about the difficulty. On the one hand, I appreciate that they tried to make something that's a genuine significant step up in difficulty from the base game, something that the hardcore fans of this game can really sink their teeth into and there was some really ambitious attempts to squeeze every bit of challenge they could out of the base game and the new mechanics they added with Amy, Knuckles and Tails, but on the other hand, there's a couple moments where the game has an idea that it either never explained to you in the base game or the DLC. The final boss is the biggest culprit of this, demanding an obscure mechanic that you never had to use at any point in the game before that. Once you know what the game wants you to do, the fight is great, possibly the best fight in the game, but until then, it's just very confusing. And more concerning, there's more than a few moments where the DLC has an idea that the game and the controls just can't support the way they want to. Knuckles' gliding and climbing are a lot of fun when they work and super clumsy and frustrating when they don't and I feel like it's way more of the latter. The trial towers take some big swings, some of them land, a lot of them just....don't, and it makes for a very mixed experience doing all of them. Giving you the super forgiving parry for the entire game, then demanding you hit a pretty strict timing (on hard and normal mode at least) at the very end of the DLC is....a little cringe, I gotta be honest. I think the parry timing on easy, or a little bit stricter than that would've been just fine for all three difficulties.

Also all the new open world enemies hit this weird point of "kinda frustrating and annoying to fight, especially with the unupgraded characters" and "don't actually give you anything meaningful to completing the DLC". They just give you gears, and I touched Cyber Space all of one time, the Lookout Kokos were plentiful just from exploring the open world. If it's just a thing for 100%ing, which I do intend to do at some point, that's fine, though. I only got pulled into fights when I didn't want them a handful of times.

But all of that is mostly minor quibbles. The additional characters mostly feel really good (Amy and Tails do at least), the twists to the final act of the story make the climax feel significantly more satisfying and the final boss once you get the hang of it is a great time and a much more fitting ending than The End was in the base game. Overall, two big thumbs up, I'm really optimistic on what Sonic Team can do with the Open Zone formula with the additional experience of Final Horizon. The more I think about it, this is probably the last bit of 3D Sonic content we're getting for a good few years, so it really trying to push the difficulty and giving us something to try and take some time to master is a concept I'm warming up to.

MJeff fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Oct 1, 2023

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Swapped to easy (from hard) and tower 2 became incredibly easy. It's wild because in the sections I was bitching about being very hard on retries cause of the lack of respawning things to home attack...there's now balloons. No idea why they weren't just balloons for hard mode - getting harder because you didn't get it right the first try really doesn't make sense. Overall easy just felt like "oh hey, sonic gameplay" rather then someone trying to force precision platforming onto a game where it feels absolute trash.

The challenge at the top of that tower was total rear end though. I had 2 minutes to kill a bunch of dudes with only cyloop (and parry, but they tell you that you only have cyloop) and cylooping them removes their defense for like, one second. I have no idea how you're supposed to do that poo poo in time without doing the cheese I looked up where you bait out a projectile attack, get in, and parry the projectile when it returns, allowing you to get in one or two attacks before parrying again to keep the projectile in the air.

Then I get to tower 3 (switched to normal) and the challenge at the top is.... that wolfpack enemy that you just spam parry for, and you get 4 minutes to do it, and it's basically trivial. (you are once again told you only have cyloop, but I have no idea how you'd do it without parry.)

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Oxyclean posted:

Swapped to easy (from hard) and tower 2 became incredibly easy. It's wild because in the sections I was bitching about being very hard on retries cause of the lack of respawning things to home attack...there's now balloons. No idea why they weren't just balloons for hard mode - getting harder because you didn't get it right the first try really doesn't make sense. Overall easy just felt like "oh hey, sonic gameplay" rather then someone trying to force precision platforming onto a game where it feels absolute trash.

I haven't tried that tower on Easy mode yet, but it sounds similar to what they did on the 2nd dlc update, where the Rhea Island towers on easy mode actually have new ballons set up around the tower that are not there on the other difficulties. So they probably just did the same thing.

I actually do know what section you're talking about, though I just immediately save/loaded when I saw that issue. Frontiers respawns basically everything normally so it's weird, but the saving system is fast and very generous so I didn't think much about it tbh.

Oxyclean posted:

The challenge at the top of that tower was total rear end though. I had 2 minutes to kill a bunch of dudes with only cyloop (and parry, but they tell you that you only have cyloop) and cylooping them removes their defense for like, one second. I have no idea how you're supposed to do that poo poo in time without doing the cheese I looked up where you bait out a projectile attack, get in, and parry the projectile when it returns, allowing you to get in one or two attacks before parrying again to keep the projectile in the air.

I liked that trial, and did it the "normal" way? You have to optimize your hits on the enemies a bit but you can get in a couple of hits into a stomp and it's enough damage to cyloop -> damage -> repeat all 4 within the time limit with time to spare. I had no idea about the parry method though which sounds a lot more fun.

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Ventana posted:

I don't know if it helps, but imo even on expert mode 1-2 is easily among the top 5 hardest stages for S-ranking, because it's very unclear what the fastest path is and even if you know the margin of error is very very small. There were a couple of other expert mode stages that I had more retries on, but those were mostly trial and error on finding the right paths. But even for those, and for all the rest of them, none of them felt like they had the small margin of error that 1-2 has.

I'd say if you don't completely hate trying to get the S-Rank for 1-2, then you'll probably be fine with expert mode times. It'll be similar process, if not a bit easier, it's just that they will all be like that. I love that kind of stuff so I had a blast.

When I went back to the game this morning, I tried the bottom path at the start and got the S-rank after a few tries. It really was just top path mentality tricking me. Beat it by a full 2.5 seconds this time too. The rest of the stages aren't nearly as hard, from what I sort of remember. So yeah, once I finish the story again and remember how the cyber space stages are laid out I'll try the expert stuff. I still don't even know how to do any of the stuff that triggers the 4 asterisks on the results screen. So I'm good to go if they don't let you use that.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

aside from the mandatory boss rush I enjoyed the increase in difficulty, it felt great to have some more free form platforming which imo play into frontiers’s strengths much better than the usual homing attack chains

some of the cyberspace levels are really open-ended with tons of alternate routes and hidden shortcuts. I really enjoyed them, enough to even go for all S-ranks and complete all the objectives.

The thing you need to do at the beginning of the final boss is very obtuse but after that the fight kicks rear end

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I think they got just a little too greedy on the boss rush. Any two of the three conditions would've been fine.

Stats locked at 1 + no rings is fair. You gotta do the fights perfectly and not waste time.
Stats locked at 1 + perfect parry is fair. The fights are more demanding but you can at least recover rings in between.
No rings + perfect parry is fair. The fights are demanding and you're limited on time, but, you can use your stats to get an edge.

Like, the best way to deal with the nasty little surprise the final boss' attacks have for you is to max out your stats. Letting you do that for the final boss but not for the titan trial is a bit of the goofery, in my opinion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
I say this as someone who really loved the Rhea Island towers because they were fun platforming skill checks that felt tense but weren't too terribly punishing:

I'm at the first tower in the DLC and this is hosed. I don't know who asked for whatever the gently caress this is doing but someone should have said no. This is reminding me of those masochist Unleashed DLC levels, they just got more creative with how mean they were able to be and didn't have to rely on flooding the screen with spikes.