Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

atomicdream posted:

A friend of mine is half black and I'm still not convinced he's not pulling some long con prank on me because he is the scrawniest whitest boy ever.

If youre American, a lot of black Americans also have European ancestry. I remember on that show where they trace famous peoples families they had a black jazz musician from Louisiana and it turned out he had close to 60% European ancestry, but he was also pretty dark. I dont know how skin color is determined but im sure it could go either way in mixed race people

titty_baby_ fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Oct 1, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

The Lone Badger posted:

Is she really a princess though? The xenomorphs are the daughters of the Queen so they definitely count, but Ripley is just a space-trucker.

Ripley spawned a queen, she's royalty

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Hellblazer187 posted:

I look exactly like my dad and there were always jokes growing up the opposite way "at least you know it's not the milkman's kid!" I don't know why people feel the need to comment on that kind of thing either way. I'm glad your dad punched someone.

As a milkman, I really dislike people assuming I don't look like your dad.

Evil Willow
Apr 26, 2007
Bored now...
AITA for thinking my mom should pay my rent?

quote:

I 22f and my bf 22m are looking at apartments together. I'm currently pregnant and not working. My bf works full time making $17/hr but has a $800 car payment and $200 in insurance each month. My car is paid off and my mom and stepdad pay my insurance. We've been renting a 4 bedroom house with 3 other couples so rent for us is pretty low right now. Bf and I want to get a 2/3 bedroom place of our own. A room for us, one for the baby, and hopefully a gaming room. The cheapest remotely decent place we can find is $1500 a month. We're currently paying $600 a month. I told my mom that we're looking at other places and her response was bf and I better sit down and rebudget everything because we'll be paying more and babies are expensive too. I told my mom that I kind of expected her to help us out and take care of rent. After all, I'm her oldest daughter and my baby will be her first grandchild. Plus, I'm not currently working nor do I plan to for at least 2 years after the baby is born.

My mom again said I needed to rebudget with my bf and see what's actually in our price range, she's willing to help out occasionally in a tight pinch but she's not putting out $1500 every month. She did offer to babysit at no charge so I can get back to work sooner than 2 years, but I really want that formative time with my child. Her and my stepdad make good money, their house and all 3 vehicles are completely paid off and I know it wouldn't hurt them. I can't ask my dad because he makes less than half of what they do and has more bills. My bf's parents aren't well of by any means either. I told my mom she's being selfish to want her daughter and grandbaby to struggle. I have 3 younger siblings that are still at home with my mom and stepdad which I get they need time and resources too, but I feel like they're turning they're backs on me and their grandchild. It really hurts feeling like I'm being kicked to the curb and my baby won't have everything I want to give them. AITA?

Edit: mom did offer to pay 1/2 rent and for my schooling if after the baby is born I go back to school and get at least a 2 year degree. That would help so much but I absolutely hated school and honestly, I don't want to do college of any kind, I'm not cut out for it.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

It turns out some of my aunts are like...half aunts? I don't know what you call it. My one aunt got like an unexpectedly high amount of Lithuanian in her 23 and Me, and since my Grandma got with a Lithuanian guy shortly after the divorce from my Grampa (and stayed with that guy for life), she figured OK I guess that guy was probably my bio dad.

Another one of my aunts got an unexpectedly high amount of English on her results, and has no idea who her bio dad is. My dad also got 23 and Me just to confirm that yes, these two people who he thought were his sisters were in fact his half sisters. All this happened a decade+ after all of the grandparent level people are dead, so there weren't any tearful confrontations or anything. Also lol that my grandma cheated on both my Grampa and Lithuanian guy at the same time.

My dad and his two oldest sisters look extremely alike and the two youngest ones look different from that, and different from each other. So there was always kind of jokes that they might not be my grandfather's. Somehow, I think he knew and treated them like family anyways. Both aunts have reiterated they feel like no matter what the DNA test says, my grandad was their dad. Family is more than DNA.

I think in the whole thing, I feel worst for the Lithuanian guy, who I imagine also had a suspicion that one of my aunts was his, but never had a chance to have a father/daughter relationship.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Evil Willow posted:

Lol even if she were an only child, what a wildly presumptuous thing to think. Getting pregnant and having no job isn't quite the bill paying scheme she hoped it would be lol.

Edit: double lol at the 800 Mercedes payment higher than their rent

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Oct 1, 2023

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

But my future gaming room! :negative:

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

snergle posted:

i look like my dad but im super pale. all of my siblings look like my mom and are also super pale. when ever my dad was pissed he would scream about how how my mom and her kids are haunting the house. its super hosed up but its a memory that always makes me laugh.

He was angry you looked like milk men

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

McSpanky posted:

Ripley spawned a queen is loving Ripley, she's royalty

Shwoo
Jul 21, 2011

the holy poopacy posted:

I'm sorry you had to learn it here but this is biologically impossible. Your husband definitely cheated on you, at least one of the kids isn't yours.
It's rare, but it can happen. Both my parents have blue or green eyes, and I have brown eyes, and I don't have any particular reason to think they're not my bio parents.

I can't remember the exact details, or find the article I read that went into them, but there's more than one gene that can reduce the amount of melanin in the irises. Like maybe one gene controls how much melanin is produced for the irises, and another controls how much of that melanin is used. Some with low production and high usage would have blue eyes, as would someone with high production and low usage, but if they had a child, it's possible they'll pass down the high usage gene from one parent and the high production gene from the other, resulting in brown eyes. That's just an example, but I think it was something like that.

ABO Blood type is way better than eye colour for explaining basic genetics. It really is controlled by a single gene, and it's even got co-dominance.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Bruceski posted:

Eye color genetics is extremely complicated and, as you point out, even the most simplified "straightforward" part of it that gets used in grade school isn't always accurate.

No no, I think Cowslip should get that maternity test.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Foo Diddley posted:

is this guy marrying his fiance, or his parents? well, he's not marrying anyone now i guess

What a little baby.

My fiance is kinda going through this right now, we want a pretty typical secular American wedding, ceremony outdoors reception indoors. My fiance has become really close with my brother SiL, I've pretty much always been tight with my brother, so we decided it'd be really nice if he'd officiate, he was super touched and excited by the idea and everyone's happy and poo poo.

Her parents threw a loving shitfit when she told them, they really want a church wedding with a pastor, and were shaming her for "just wanting an excuse to party". She came home from the trip to see them crying because they were laying into her so much.

Thankfully, we had anticipated their bullshit, since they pulled it with her sister too, they financed that wedding and made it a nightmare, micromanaging every aspect of it, so we've refused all offers of financial assistance so they have absolutely zero pull besides trying to guilt trip her. I'm pretty limited in the support I can provide, besides financing the wedding, since they're cowards and won't dare bring any of this up around me or my FSiL, only when they can pressure my fiance alone.

Anyways, we're getting married on OUR terms even if it meant renting chairs from party city and having the groomsmen man the grill all day long, and I can't imagine what sort of loving noodle spine it takes to just knuckle under to your parents like that. I'm sure your 'ol pal Jesus will let you straight into heaven 'cause he was hanging out behind the alter while you said your vows.

Evil Willow
Apr 26, 2007
Bored now...
I'm amazed this one hasn't been removed for breaking the "no violence" rule!

AITA for demanding compensation from my son because my grandson had injured me?

quote:

I am seventy-eight years old, and live in the western part of the United States. My grandson Aaron had celebrated his eighth birthday a while back. I was, of course, invited but I had to arrive after the scheduled time.

The party had not properly started, but I did arrive late. When Aaron noticed me, he rushed forward to engulf me in a hug by saying "Grandpa Bill! I love you." My body is fragile, and the hug was enough to disjoint my ribs. He had done it forcefully.

It was unbearable and my son had to immediately get me to the hospital. Aaron looked really upset at what had happened as well. I remained in pain while it was fixed; it took a long time for it to vanish completely.

My son paid for all the expenses, but after I recovered I told him it was not enough. It was not sufficient that he helped me recover as it was his son's fault. Of course, I couldn't ask Aaron for money. I therefore asked my son to pay me $1000 as compensation for the injury, with a warning that I would sue him for criminal damages if he doesn't comply.

He was aghast and stated that I cannot take money from my own son, but I was not ready to hear any of it. I have given him a week's time before I file a case against him. He has not paid the money, and I have decided to not contact him until then. The next time we talk, it would be through an attorney.

Am I the rear end in a top hat?

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Hug him harder next time.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
The one time someone could honestly say their only crime was loving too much

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

titty_baby_ posted:

If youre American, a lot of black Americans also have European ancestry. I remember on that show where they trace famous peoples families they had a black jazz musician from Louisiana and it turned out he had close to 60% European ancestry, but he was also pretty dark. I dont know how skin color is determined but im sure it could go either way in mixed race people

My wife is from the American South and like 6% Scottish. So yeah there is the other way that can happen historically.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Can summoning a spirit break a lease?

quote:

It sounds silly, but I want to do some ghost summoning and trying to talk to ghost and make a video about it. The video would be publicly viewable and I know that supposed haunted houses can lose value so I was wondering if there is any precedent of this happening or anyones opinion on this, Thanks you.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

If you are going to have an outdoor wedding make sure you are in a desert or something, because you are going to be immensely stressed the last month about whether or not it will rain, the whole thing can be ruined by something you have absolutely no control over

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
Alternatively you can claim for an entire year that there is absolutely no chance it will rain on your wedding day, then when it becomes obvious that there is a decent chance of rain still insist that tents would ruin the aesthetics and finally agree the day before to put up some tents, only to not need them because your wedding day was the only day in three weeks with sunshine, like my sister did. We spent the evening before and the morning of the wedding comparing all weather forecasts and debating them.

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

Evil Willow posted:

Reality is rubbing it’s hands together as it approaches that doorbell.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Cloacamazing! posted:

Alternatively you can claim for an entire year that there is absolutely no chance it will rain on your wedding day, then when it becomes obvious that there is a decent chance of rain still insist that tents would ruin the aesthetics and finally agree the day before to put up some tents, only to not need them because your wedding day was the only day in three weeks with sunshine, like my sister did. We spent the evening before and the morning of the wedding comparing all weather forecasts and debating them.

Isn't it ironic?

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Evil Willow posted:

I get the feeling once baby is added to the mix, they might be out of that place anyway. And I KNOW history is filled with reasons why but it would be so much nicer if we could just make it so no one was able to have kids until they hit like 30, so at least had time to have fun and experience life, in theory.

AITA for incessantly talking about my special interest?

quote:

I (teenager and male, don’t want to give out my age) am autistic and obsessed with Evil Dead. My family uses Reddit so I hope they don’t find this post because that instantly gives me away. I had watched the movies last year, but it wasn’t until Evil Dead Rise came out this year that it turned into my special interest. I never stop talking about it because I love it so much. This means that I’m constantly comparing things to it or telling fun facts about the production. I even found a way to watch it before class each morning. I’m already halfway through Evil Dead 2 and it would be my 5th rewatch. However, my friends and family find this incredibly annoying and that I’m being an rear end in a top hat. My friends don’t talk to me or sit with me at lunch as often anymore, and my family just changes the topic. Nobody has ever told me just outright to stop. They will just throw food at my face or groan and roll their eyes. I’m not terrible at picking up social cues, and I’ve been trying to talk about it less and less. It’s just really hard when this one thing is all you think about. It’s in your dreams, you work it into school projects, it’s all your art. I could make a more conscious effort to shut up about it. My online friends, boyfriend, and step-dad think I’m NTA. Everyone else in my life thinks I am the rear end in a top hat though. It’s confusing.

Bolding mine.

AITA for refusing my sisters offer to pay for the gender reveal scan?

quote:

So my girlfriend [F26] and I [M29] found out in August that we were going to be parents to our first child. Generally, everyone was very happy about the news. However because of the shock I felt at the time (it wasn't planned), I called my mother for reassurance and it helped. She wasn't happy I told her over a phone call which I understand and am likely an AH for. I apologised and we put it behind us.

My sister has been supportive, she helped us move to a new house, wanted to take my partner out baby shopping in a few weeks. However, my mother was less helpful. We had a facetime mid August about housing options, then my mother randomly asked me about if my partner was on the pill. I said yes and I've seen her take it, and she asked if I was sure. Almost like she was insinuating that I was baby trapped.

I have had worries about my sister. I'm happy she's excited but I feel sometimes she's too much. She was talking about having the baby every weekend so we could do stuff as a couple, and I said we have to consider both families. She was also concerned about us moving a bit closer to my girlfriend's family than mine. She said I wouldn't get as much support and questioned the support from my partner's as her mother lives 2 hours away. I said she comes down every weekend to look after her mother with dementia, we'll be fine.

My sister offered to pay for our gender reveal scan. We both thought this was a lovely gesture and said yes. My sister understandably wanted to come because she's paying for it. My sister told me that the one she was booking allowed up to five people to come and suggested we bring my mum along. I then said if she's coming, then my girlfriend's mum should come too. She disagreed because it's the only involvement they'll have during the pregnancy and my girlfriend's family will be at other events. We said it's not about who we're including, it's about having support during a personal appointment, and my girlfriend doesn't want only all my family there. My mum previously said either it's just my family or no scan. I said fine, we'll pay for it ourselves. My sister then messaged my girlfriend to explain her reasoning which left her in tears. She also said my family like to do things separate and they're a bit antisocial. They think meeting my girlfriend's mum at the scan will be awkward. We think this kind of reasoning is selfish and not putting our wishes first.

My mum and sister are getting me to understand their reasoning. I do understand it, I just don't agree with it. My girlfriend's mum isn't bothered by them not wanting her there, just more by how it's affected us. She told me not to worry about them and hugged me. She said she's happy to pay for it and for me to invite whoever I want.

This is a post here because despite many agreements about our side of things, I have doubt because my sister was going to pay for it. And I was considering my dad but my girlfriend's mum believes that would anger my family. AITA?

mycelia
Apr 28, 2013

POWERFUL FUNGAL LORD

Cowslips Warren posted:

My wife describes holding back the urge to infodump about her special interest as physically painful. Fortunately she has online friends who are interested in it, because there's only so many times I can hear about the goddamn Magnus Archives.

If it gets to the point where people are throwing food at your face you should probably look for a coping strategy. I'm hesitant to call this rear end in a top hat behaviour, but it's not exactly pro-social behaviour either (which, you know...autism.)

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Cowslips Warren posted:

This person clearly recognizes that their enthusiasm for this particular IP is causing distress for themselves and others. They would likely benefit tremendously from occupational therapy focused on managing fixations (and the part you bolded leads me to believe that this is not a topic that has been discussed within the family).

Also Evil Dead Rise was so aggressively mid-tier that I remember almost nothing of the film despite having seen it like a month ago.

Baron Zephyrus
Apr 17, 2018

Elviscat posted:

What a little baby.

My fiance is kinda going through this right now, we want a pretty typical secular American wedding, ceremony outdoors reception indoors. My fiance has become really close with my brother SiL, I've pretty much always been tight with my brother, so we decided it'd be really nice if he'd officiate, he was super touched and excited by the idea and everyone's happy and poo poo.

Her parents threw a loving shitfit when she told them, they really want a church wedding with a pastor, and were shaming her for "just wanting an excuse to party". She came home from the trip to see them crying because they were laying into her so much.

Thankfully, we had anticipated their bullshit, since they pulled it with her sister too, they financed that wedding and made it a nightmare, micromanaging every aspect of it, so we've refused all offers of financial assistance so they have absolutely zero pull besides trying to guilt trip her. I'm pretty limited in the support I can provide, besides financing the wedding, since they're cowards and won't dare bring any of this up around me or my FSiL, only when they can pressure my fiance alone.

Anyways, we're getting married on OUR terms even if it meant renting chairs from party city and having the groomsmen man the grill all day long, and I can't imagine what sort of loving noodle spine it takes to just knuckle under to your parents like that. I'm sure your 'ol pal Jesus will let you straight into heaven 'cause he was hanging out behind the alter while you said your vows.

Jesus. It's not their wedding, its yours.

My FBIL just got married a few months ago, and his parents (mother, mostly, they recently divorced and FBIL is not thrilled with his dad to say the least) definitely put way too much pressure and control on things. It was, to my understanding, a typical Greek-American wedding, minus a few details and the reception actually ending at a reasonable hour. FSIL is not Greek, nor Orthodox as far as I can tell (she had to "convert" but naturally I don't think she really believes one way or the other. FBIL also doesn't seem to have a lot of weight on religion, but we don't talk a ton so who knows). She did fight with our MIL a ton though, over nearly every detail from the invites (she wanted them to be designed after TCG cards--they met playing cards at a local shop--MIL insisted they be traditional) to the cake (I didn't hear much about this one, but considering it ended with cupcakes, I think SIL won here).

I was also my partner's plus one, of course (FBIL and FSIL would have pitched a fit if she couldn't bring me, they both like me and wanted me there, too) but I had to pretend I was "just a friend" and wasn't allowed to dance with my partner. At a Greek Wedding. She was in the wedding party, too, so I wasn't allowed to sit with her at either the ceremony or the reception dinner. And she had to dance with a groomsman.

Naturally, being told that the church would refuse to ever marry us was taken as a blessing in disguise.

I've said it before and will again: Weddings are meant to be fun.

Cowslips Warren posted:

This one makes me sad. Special interests aren't just an "autism thing" and lots of neurotypical people get really into things that would be considered "special interests" that no one thinks is weird. If this kid was constantly talking about his favorite football team and their current streak or whatever, he'd be at most considered a bit of an annoying fan. But, because he's into something "unusual" and more specific, he's considered an rear end in a top hat for wanting it to be his favorite thing to talk about.

Your dad's man cave filled with Steeler's merch and almost nothing else? Normal. This kid's room filled with Evil Dead stuff, some of it possibly hand-made? Weird, billy, please stop talking about it.

Special interests like this are harmless, and it takes zero effort to not be an rear end in a top hat and not exclude him, especially from the parents. Kid is a kid.

EDIT: Yes, getting him some therapy that would help him with at least having better social skills would be better too. So would having better friends that don't outright ditch you and family that doesn't throw food at you. They're the assholes here, kid needs some help with social stuff, but he claims to be trying and I believe him here.

Baron Zephyrus fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Oct 1, 2023

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
If it was just a bedroom thing, sure. But when they're working it into every conversation and constantly comparing anything to it? Yeah, that's gonna get old real fast whether it's baseball or a video game or makeup.

Everyone needs to learn to either moderate their interests in situations where people don't want to hear it in excruciating detail, every time you see them.

Baron Zephyrus
Apr 17, 2018
That's reasonable, but that was just part of my comparison.

Baron Zephyrus posted:

If this kid was constantly talking about his favorite football team and their current streak or whatever, he'd be at most considered a bit of an annoying fan.

I do understand people not wanting to hear about the same topic over and over, but I literally grew up in an area where a large chunk of people wanted to talk about the local football team or the Browns/Steelers and nothing else. I was considered an rear end in a top hat for not wanting to talk about it, and I didn't even leave or ask people to change the subject, I just didn't engage. No one ever threw food at people for not shutting up about football there. I was talking about the unfair comparison that tends to harm the neurodivergent more than the neurotypical.

ApplesandOranges posted:

Everyone needs to learn to either moderate their interests in situations where people don't want to hear it in excruciating detail, every time you see them.

I agree with this in general, though, and would add "and find both good therapy and a community that shares their interest so they can be encouraged to engage with it in a healthy way"

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
OP needs to understand that not everybody wants to hear about his special interest 24/7, and people around him need to just say "OP, you've talked about this for an hour now, let's talk about anything else." instead of giving him signals he clearly doesn't understand and throwing food at him. Either outright tell him to stop or agree on a signal that means "It's getting too much, please stop." Not just assume he'll figure it out on his own and throw food at him when he doesn't.

Also people get obsessed with things. People will talk about their obsessions with people who don't care. That's a part of life unless you browbeat your autistic kid into never talking about anything they're interested ever again. My husband is the first person in my life to just let me ramble about stuff without judging me, and it means so much to me. With my family it's always "Stop talking about your stuff, we don't care, this is weird and nobody could possibly like it, now let's talk about the stuff we care about for hours."

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
I'd say that everyone has an obsession but you need to spread out your talk about it, even football and sports poo poo. An old friend of mine would go onto tangents on some new anime and that is all she would talk about for months (she even bragged she was learning Japanese from it), and even when I wasn't interested, she wouldn't let up. So to shut her up, I started watching it, which made it all worse because then she wanted to gab nonstop again about every episode. And got mad when I just read the drat wiki article on it instead.

loving hell that Disney princess wedding got voted YTA because the white OP did not want to "get tan" and dress as Tiana.

AITA for telling my son he either has to sell his car or move out.

quote:

My son is 24 and he has a Charger that my dad left him when he passed away. It is a beautiful car and I wish my dad had left it to me but that isn't the point. My son and him loved working on it together. That's why my son got it.

In the last year he has also gotten four speeding tickets and just capped it off with an impaired charge.

It is too much car for him and he is irresponsible. I told him that he either had to move out of my house, where he pays for basically nothing, or sell the car.

He says that it's all he has from his grandfather, not true his grandparents laid for his education. He says that he was just a little over the limit and that it is a first offense and that I'm being unreasonable.

I want him to grow up and realize he could hurt himself or others.

My ex called me up to say I was being a bitch and that I have no right to make our son sell his car. I made sure to tell him that our kid was looking to move out and that he was welcome to take him in.

I can't imagine the insurance price just from the speeding.

Kit Kintsugi
Oct 1, 2023

All of us broken not a single one whole, shattered to pieces and mended with gold.

Kit Kintsugi fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Oct 20, 2023

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

Evil Willow posted:

Oof. Expects to manage a family of three in a three bedroom apartment and a luxury car on an income of ~$34k. Also he got the car right before she found out she's pregnant so it's not even close to being payed off.

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope
Pretty consistent theme of people expecting family members to pay for poo poo cause they make "good money." And I gotta wonder what "good money" means.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

AKA Pseudonym posted:

Pretty consistent theme of people expecting family members to pay for poo poo cause they make "good money." And I gotta wonder what "good money" means.

More money than me.

AITA for telling my brother to rehome his parrot or I'll call animal control?

quote:

I moved in with my brother for a lot of reasons. He also has a 10 year old parrot named Coco. His bird is a nightmare. It's loud and I feel threatened by it. It curses at me and I'm afraid to sleep because I worry it might attack while I'm sleeping

I asked my brother to rehome Coco until I move out. Not to rid of her but to rehome temporarily. My brother will have a bigger problem of Coco attacks me. My brother said he's not rehoming his bird. I said I will call animal control if that bird goes near me then.

I like them short and sweet and stupid.

Like this fucker.
AITA for refusing to help my brother with my severely disabled niece.

quote:

My (F24) brother (32) and his wife were told early in their second pregnancy that the baby wasn't developing properly and would be severely disabled.

My sister-in-law was heartbroken but she wanted to terminate. My brother spent a long time convincing her that the baby was God's will. I told him that he needed to consider how much work was involved in taking care of a baby with so many special needs. My boyfriend is a pediatric nurse. He tells me horror stories. I said his wife was right. He said I was a terrible sister and aunt for saying those things. He got our parents involved and they told me to mind my own business. So the baby went to term. And she was born with deformations and disabilities.

Sorry if I do not go further than that.

My brother was home for two weeks then he went back to work. My sister-in-law was basically responsible for that poor baby girl for the next six months. Plus my five year old nephew. She couldn't take it and she took their son and moved to her parents' house.

My brother has been trying to get her to come home but she won't. My parents both work so they cannot help as much as they would like.

He asked me for help and it took everything I had not to say that it was God's will that he take care of his daughter since he wanted her to be born so badly.

Instead I just said that I couldn't because I couldn't watch her and go to school. He said that the help he was getting from the government and family was not enough and that he was going to lose his job. I apologized but I said I could not sacrifice my future for his decisions.

He tried getting my parents to convince me but I told them that I had been informed by them that I should "stay out of it". And I was choosing to do so as I had done so previously.

My mom is having to take time off to help him and it is draining her.

I had lunch with my sister-in-law yesterday and I asked her when she was going home. She said she wasn't sure she could handle that yet. I did not push.

My family thinks I am being an rear end in a top hat by putting my studies, which I pay for myself, are more important than my brother's job and marriage.

I don't think I should sacrifice for someone who chose the life he got.

Cowslips Warren fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Oct 1, 2023

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Cowslips Warren posted:

AITA for refusing my sisters offer to pay for the gender reveal scan?

What the hell is a gender reveal scan? I've literally never heard of it, and been through two pregnancies. Each time we had a standard ultrasound at check up and the nurse or doctor asks if we want to know the gender (we said nah care either way we did not want a bunch of gendered baby presents), which they can easily tell from the ultrasound in most cases. There was no additional scanning service, they just knew what it was and wrote it on the medical chart for later.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Evil Willow posted:

I'm amazed this one hasn't been removed for breaking the "no violence" rule!

AITA for demanding compensation from my son because my grandson had injured me?

Lol this loser's body snaps when the wind blows and they want their kids to pay for it. The kids should sue this California raisin for passing along a body that apparently fails so quickly, not even able to last a single century.

duck trucker
Oct 14, 2017

YOSPOS

John Wick of Dogs posted:

What the hell is a gender reveal scan? I've literally never heard of it, and been through two pregnancies. Each time we had a standard ultrasound at check up and the nurse or doctor asks if we want to know the gender (we said nah care either way we did not want a bunch of gendered baby presents), which they can easily tell from the ultrasound in most cases. There was no additional scanning service, they just knew what it was and wrote it on the medical chart for later.

If I remember right, it's a way to tell the sex of the baby before an ultrasound would show. I believe they test some hormone levels of the mother and depending on how much of some particular ones are present (probably testosterone and estrogen but I could be wrong I'm not a doctor) they can determine the sex.

My wife and I did it for our pregnancy and it was accurate.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

John Wick of Dogs posted:

It is literally just that, with hype and an extra upcharge for bringing extra guests. American baby culture is weird.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Yeah for our pregnancy we both thought knowing was going to be more trouble than it was worth and being annoyance from family members and friends like projecting a whole person onto the baby so we just told them we wanted it to be a surprise.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Cowslips Warren posted:

AITA for telling my son he either has to sell his car or move out.

I can't imagine the insurance price just from the speeding.

Was gonna say, the insurance company, if anyone, is basically going to tell him "no more driving" by way of enormous premiums. That, or he's inevitably going to wreck the car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solenna
Jun 5, 2003

I'd say it was your manifest destiny not to.

We wanted to know for both kids because it meant we only had to decide on one name per child instead of two.