Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

HappyHippo posted:

Because Bed Bath and Beyond sold their name to Overstock.com, they legally had to change their name by Sept 30. They went with "20230930-DK-Butterfly-1, Inc." Naturally the apes think this is bullish for some reason (never mind that if the apes had been right this whole time the name probably would have been Teddy).

With that in mind, may I present: Wife Changing Money, the thread:
https://www.reddit.com/r/ThePPShow/comments/16watgu/the_spouses_are_the_real_winners/

none of these dudes had wives

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Kibayasu posted:

I had no idea this poo poo involved literal plans to hold the United States government/economy hostage over stock sales. At least cryptocurrency and NFTs in general have a goal you can kind of comprehend.

Seems to me like you comprehend this perfectly.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
it's crazy to me to imagine getting a bunch of money and then buying a lambo

like hmm this seems like a great opportunity to add a bunch of extra hassle and headaches into my life

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Mozi posted:

like hmm this seems like a great opportunity to add a bunch of extra hassle and headaches into my life

they are, by and large, ugly as sin as well. just loud and ostentatious monuments to greed and poor taste.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

zetamind2000 posted:

none of these dudes had wives

Being married is no guarantee against idiocy

AutismVaccine
Feb 26, 2017

SPECIAL NEEDS
SQUAD

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

they are, by and large, ugly as sin as well. just loud and ostentatious monuments to greed and poor taste.

The original Lamborghini Countach is pretty dope

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

And don't even get me started on the car:dadjoke:

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Elden Lord Godfrey posted:

btw the meme stock cult thing is just a jazzier version of the iraqi dinar scam:

https://www.thedailybeast.com/trump-fans-sink-savings-into-iraqi-dinar-scam

there's nothing new under the sun and fin crimes history rhymes and echos.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004

Elden Lord Godfrey posted:

btw the meme stock cult thing is just a jazzier version of the iraqi dinar scam:

https://www.thedailybeast.com/trump-fans-sink-savings-into-iraqi-dinar-scam

Every single conservative in America is literally this loving stupid lmao

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

UZR IS BULLSHIT posted:

Every single conservative in America is literally this loving stupid lmao

:dumbbravo:

The very definition of a sweeping generalization.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

cruft posted:

Hell yeah it is

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
^^ bingo.

cruft posted:

I'd not say it's a sweeping generalization if it fits 90-99% of modern American conservatives, crypto people, and about 800 easily defined social groups in America that could easily total a double digit percentage of the population. That's just a reasonable statement.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Mozi posted:

It's just because it's the fanciest car they can imagine owning. Just the most ostentatious, obscene display of wealth they can imagine.

Which fits into how ,despite the way that they rail against wallstreet and hedge brokers etc., none of this is about economic justice or any kind of correction of the obvious injustices and disparities in our economic system. They just want to get catapulted to the top of the pyramid.

It's the exact same mentality as fairy tales about lost princesses who have to live as peasants. The point of Cinderella isn't that the plight of the peasantry loving sucks and something should be done about it, it's that if you're lucky enough and hot enough some prince will swoop down out of the sky to make you his queen and elevate you above all the other people in your position.

Lambos are just their way of physically representing "gently caress you, got mine."

edit: gently caress, look at how in all their apocalyptic prophesying about taking over the economy it's never ". . . and then we restructure it to be a more just and equitable society" it's ". . . and then we're the people on top and drive lambos and eat caviar and gently caress supermodels because now we're the ones at the pinnacle of an exploitative, unstable, unsustainable system where millions toil so that an elect few can live lives of unparalleled luxury."

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Now that I think of it, these people are probably closely akin to the type of people whose lives end up ruined after winning the lottery. They get more money than they know what to do with, make a series of terrible decisions, and end up just imploding one way or another.

Luckily for the crypto/memestock people that's one eventuality they will never have to face.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
(No longer) mai waif!

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

notwithoutmyanus posted:

^^ bingo.

I'd not say it's a sweeping generalization if it fits 90-99% of modern American conservatives, crypto people, and about 800 easily defined social groups in America that could easily total a double digit percentage of the population. That's just a reasonable statement.

I like to believe that while it probably fits the loud people we read about on Internet fora, there are massive numbers of folks who consider themselves conservative and don't have time to even look into this bananas stuff. They just vote R and move on with life.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

cruft posted:

Seems to me like you comprehend this perfectly.

I don’t think I was confused by anything I just didn’t know all the details. I never looked too closely and just thought it was a bunch of people buying the exact wrong stocks and trying to do stock market magic so number go higher and they can make money. And then I assumed it had morphed into the Bitcoin or NFT thing where having actual money is secondary to having something that is theoretically worth a lot of money so you can brag about it and pretend you’re a super smart money person.

I never knew about “we will own literal infinite money.”

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

But enough about libertarians...

e: beaten

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

cruft posted:

I like to believe that while it probably fits the loud people we read about on Internet fora, there are massive numbers of folks who consider themselves conservative and don't have time to even look into this bananas stuff. They just vote R and move on with life.

You can just say that you didn't fall for it since that's clearly what you mean.

SilverObul
Apr 19, 2008

Cockragon

Cyrano4747 posted:

edit: gently caress, look at how in all their apocalyptic prophesying about taking over the economy it's never ". . . and then we restructure it to be a more just and equitable society" it's ". . . and then we're the people on top and drive lambos and eat caviar and gently caress supermodels because now we're the ones at the pinnacle of an exploitative, unstable, unsustainable system where millions toil so that an elect few can live lives of unparalleled luxury."

They do play lip service to helping people or fixing things, though to your point it is never really thought out or specific actionable plans beyond simple solutions like sharing their ungodly wealth somehow.

The only way to stop a bad guy billionaire is with a good guy billionaire.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

SilverObul posted:

They do play lip service to helping people or fixing things, though to your point it is never really thought out or specific actionable plans beyond simple solutions like sharing their ungodly wealth somehow.

But also because of the horrendous abuse they tolerated by getting mocked on web forums they'll get to have a little rain of terror where they crush those who ever spoke out against them, as a treat. But right after the revenge wars they'll get right on that whole helping humanity thing, promise.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I had to go read the reactions to Dan's video and it was pretty fun reading them. The best reaction was from the people who misunderstood and thought it was a real hollywood production:

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Salt Fish posted:

I had to go read the reactions to Dan's video and it was pretty fun reading them. The best reaction was from the people who misunderstood and thought it was a real hollywood production:

Amazing.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Curse you, drat Oldson and your so-called country of Canada, for ignoring the SAG-AFTRA strike that is already over!

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

The Writers strike is over. SAG-AFTRA are still on strike

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Strong Sauce posted:

The Writers strike is over. SAG-AFTRA are still on strike

Double curses then!

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

As a libertarian who lusts for the day I am rich enough to crush those who oppose me I care a lot about unions.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

That Reddit image sounds like they’re talking about the Dumb Money movie because like the only face Dan Olsen uses for him is … that DFV guys real face. Not sure what they’re talking about with the round face.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
and tonight in crypto insanity land...

they're hypothesizing on someone getting assassinated before vs after jail from money crimes involving crypto and think Zhu of 3ac is going to end up a billionaire via jail. :tinfoil:

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD

Strong Sauce posted:

That Reddit image sounds like they’re talking about the Dumb Money movie because like the only face Dan Olsen uses for him is … that DFV guys real face. Not sure what they’re talking about with the round face.

I guess Paul Dano kinda has a round face, and he played DFV in the film (I haven't seen it).

What I'm getting from that post is that they think Dan's video is actually some kind of viral promotion for Dumb Money, because they can't do actual promos because of the strike.

If that's true then congrats to Dan, for the Hollywood elite money, I guess.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Shanghaied posted:

I guess Paul Dano kinda has a round face, and he played DFV in the film (I haven't seen it).

What I'm getting from that post is that they think Dan's video is actually some kind of viral promotion for Dumb Money, because they can't do actual promos because of the strike.

If that's true then congrats to Dan, for the Hollywood elite money, I guess.

"Round face" is a reference to Dan, and he's specifically complaining about the intro bits he does with the fake interviews like he's a stonk bro. About a third of the way through in the video he (in character) says he wears the headband in homage to DFV and how everything he does is to try and be like him. Which, obviously, they didn't watch that far in.

Which means that they thought Dan's parody of an ape's cringey DFV obsession was an a serious depiction of DFV himself which is, in its own beautiful way, and entire new layer of LMAO on this poo poo.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
I begin to suspect that those redditors are not very bright.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Man this thread really got overrun by anti-dinar shills in the last few weeks.

Who benefits from spreading FUD about the imminent dinar RV I wonder

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

I started reading "Number Go Up" last night, as soon as it came out. Readers of this thread will probably enjoy it.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

VitalSigns posted:

Man this thread really got overrun by anti-dinar shills in the last few weeks.

Who benefits from spreading FUD about the imminent dinar RV I wonder

Who knows? I'll see you with my wife changing dinars.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Somehow of all of the dumb rear end coin bro and ape meme bullshit, this is the one that always sticks out as jus the most crassly, disgustingly, offensive. It just really sums up the entire world view in a nut shell.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

cruft posted:

I started reading "Number Go Up" last night, as soon as it came out. Readers of this thread will probably enjoy it.

Can confirm it's a decent read.

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

is one of you Zeke Faux? it is a divabot joke

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate your patience, this is a tricky maneuver

cruft posted:

They just vote R and move on with life.

So their HODLing even if it’s self-destructive because they can’t take the L? Yeah that’s totally different.