Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Yeah for our pregnancy we both thought knowing was going to be more trouble than it was worth and being annoyance from family members and friends like projecting a whole person onto the baby so we just told them we wanted it to be a surprise.
:hmmyes: For my parents, it was a double surprise. Once in the 80s, and again in the 2020s. :justtrans:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Yeah for our pregnancy we both thought knowing was going to be more trouble than it was worth and being annoyance from family members and friends like projecting a whole person onto the baby so we just told them we wanted it to be a surprise.

It's nice knowing, so you can start planning on a name. You don't have to tell anyone else. I wouldn't pay for a special gender scan, that seems like a waste of time

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Evil Willow posted:

I'm amazed this one hasn't been removed for breaking the "no violence" rule!

AITA for demanding compensation from my son because my grandson had injured me?

loving lol. Imagine being 78 and absolutely torching your relationship with your son and grandson for $1000. I hope those two ps5s make your deathbed more comfortable.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

DrManiac posted:

loving lol. Imagine being 78 and absolutely torching your relationship with your son and grandson for $1000. I hope those two ps5s make your deathbed more comfortable.

"Fine, dad, here's your $1000. Take good care of it, I'll inherit it back soon"

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

QuarkJets posted:

It's nice knowing, so you can start planning on a name. You don't have to tell anyone else. I wouldn't pay for a special gender scan, that seems like a waste of time

We just chose a name for each. Xyborgbaron if a boy and Techno Mechanicus is it was a girl

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

snergle posted:

i look like my dad but im super pale. all of my siblings look like my mom and are also super pale. when ever my dad was pissed he would scream about how how my mom and her kids are haunting the house. its super hosed up but its a memory that always makes me laugh.

From a few payes back but I got a good laugh imagining this.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

haveblue posted:

"Fine, dad, here's your $1000. Take good care of it, I'll inherit it back soon"

i wouldn't say that out loud, someone petty enough to demand emotional distress compensation for a hug gone wrong might well cut them out of the will (if he hasn't already)

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Cowslips Warren posted:

AITA for telling my son he either has to sell his car or move out.

I can't imagine the insurance price just from the speeding.

quote:

He says that he was just a little over the limit and that it is a first offense and that I'm being unreasonable.

"i was just a little bit impaired, while i was driving a car that i can't even handle sober" omg i'd pay money to watch him tell that to a judge

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Baron Zephyrus posted:

Naturally, being told that the church would refuse to ever marry us was taken as a blessing in disguise.

By your BIL’s family? Why did it even come up?

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos

Cowslips Warren posted:

Man, I wish I could find large pieces of canvas just thrown out, I can't imagine the dirty pour I would make with that.

You can sometimes find huge canvases in the art section of secondhand stores and just gesso over them. You probably already knew that, but I like secondhand shopping.

boofhead posted:

behind every tyrant is a bureaucracy of enablers

This is a great line.

Here's another good line, bolded below:

quote:

The question My husband has been unemployed for two years and I feel like he’s fading away. He’s proved himself to be good at what he does in most aspects of his chosen field. He’s worked at a senior level (CEO, partner, etc) but he struggles with relating to people and, because of that, he’s eventually been let go from every job he’s had. He’s never had a leaving card. He’s an intelligent, experienced and educated man (PhD level). He can make a great first impression, yet he doesn’t know how to navigate the complexities of relationships and that keeps being his downfall.

At home I take the lead in parenting, managing wider family relationships and friendships, and running a home and a social life. He will help if I ask, but he leaves all thinking and decisions to me. Our life is like a ship with him on the deck and me occasionally able to come out of the engine room into the sun. It’s lonely and exhausting.

He has signed up with job agencies and now he’s just waiting for the phone to ring.

I fear when our son flies the nest, I’ll really feel how alone I am. I have my own career, which is going well, but I worry I’ll leave him dormant and feeling unloved if I focus on myself too much.

We’re OK financially, but without the structure of his career I’m left with a man who’s directionless and depressed, and I don’t know how to stop that from happening. We are best friends – I think the children within us connect over a shared experience of surviving trauma and growing up too fast. I’m trying to accept him as he is, but I also want to drag him down to the engine room and tell him to steer the ship, so I can come up on the deck and soak up some sun.

Philippa’s answer Behind every great man is a great woman, as the saying goes, but behind every woman who isn’t reaching her full potential is a man who needs too much work and attention.

He sounds as if he has never put himself in anyone else’s shoes. What I mean is, he can understand life, and probably maths, from his point of view only. He never imagines what it is like to be you, or his colleagues, and so, because he never looks at any situation from anyone else’s viewpoint, he appears selfish to others. He probably can’t help it. It could be that he is on the autistic spectrum. He may be extremely talented, but people skills aren’t his strong point. It is usual for executives of his calibre and position to be headhunted or find work through their existing network of contacts, built up over decades of being in the workplace, rather than to rely solely on recruitment agencies.

He sounds as if he has never put himself in anyone else’s shoes, it could be that he is on the autistic spectrum
It appears that you are doing all the emotional and the practical maintenance work of the family, which means you have less time for concentrating on yourself. Because he can’t think of how you see and experience the world and your lives together, from your point of view, it will mean a lot of the time you are likely to be lonely. You are his best friend, but is he really yours? I suppose his job situation is feeling a bit like the last straw. You may have been able to tolerate a lot more when he was out at work.

I wonder if he could be persuaded to be tested for autism and then he would know what type of help he needs to get him back to work and to have a better marriage. Even if he isn’t autistic, seeing a clinical psychologist would be a good idea.

You hinted that you both come from chaotic childhoods. It could be by his avoiding doing any of the emotional work in any relationship he is circumventing retriggering himself from aspects of relationships he found traumatising when he was growing up. If he were to face his childhood demons in therapy, it may help him see how he is sabotaging himself. Defensive behaviours we develop to survive childhood often become self-defeating behaviour in adult life.

It is never too late to use therapy to unpack everything we’ve been told, or told to ourselves, and only put back what we need. It is hard work, but as he is not working now and you don’t have financial worries, it would be a good opportunity for him to do the work he really needs to do. But this, of course, would mean you extending yourself once more to look after him by suggesting this, rather than concentrating on yourself.

trickybiscuits fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Oct 1, 2023

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

trickybiscuits posted:

Here's another good line:

Isn’t part of the point of making partner/CEO that you’ve more or less “won” and don’t need to play that game anymore? She says money isn’t a problem, let him keep a few board seats warm and find some hobbies that hopefully aren’t too harmful to society.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

AITA for beating my GF in a tennis match

quote:

Hello everyone! Been a couple of days since this happened and I need a new perspective (sorry in advance if I make any grammar mistakes since English is not my first language).

So my GF (F26) and I (M29) decided that we are going to play tennis one day.

Little background is that I played tennis few times back when I was at collage and she never did, so it would be her first time playing this sports.

I would say both of us are athletic, she often runs or does cycling and I play basketball and football regularly.

In the past we did play basketball together, but I guess that was not a fair matchup in her eyes so one day she decided that tennis will be perfect sport for her to beat me. Bear in mind that she didn't know the rules or ever watched the sport.

So we made a bet that looser is paying for a dinner afterwards.

Everything was explained to her and we booked one hour on a tennis court.

At first when we started playing we were just passing the ball to each other without following the rules and then she wanted to play for the points.

And we are at the point where the fuckup begins. She struggled very much, to be fair, nothing was going for her. She couldn't return any balls, serve was non existent etc, you get the point.

As we were in the middle of the game 5-10 min in she asked for a break and to stop playing in points and go back to just passing the ball which I refused because I thought that is going to be a perfect lesson to not be so smug. After 10ish more min the game was over and I beat her 6:0.

And then we went back to just passing the ball but you could see that she was upset about it and didn't make an effort anymore.

When we were done, we went to have a dinner at this place where we haven't been before, so I was looking around the place and being tired of playing I guess didn't really contributed to the conversation at the beginning so that made her not to talk to me.

She was upset at me for beating her and then that I haven't talked enough afterwards.

So I wonder AITA for beating my GF in tennis?

Redditor posted:

INFO. Who suggested the bet?

OP posted:

I think I suggested it when she was bragging that she is going to beat me to one of our friends.

Sorry honey, I'm just kinda too tired to feel like talking after all that work putting you in your place

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

Captain Hygiene posted:

I initially interpreted "played tennis in college" as "was a D1 college tennis player" and was lolling hard at the idea of this dude crushing 90mph serves at his rank amateur girlfriend to win a bet

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
I wish I had the kind of confidence that allows you to preemptively boast about beating an experienced tennis player despite having never held a racket in your life.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Captain Hygiene posted:

Sorry honey, I'm just kinda too tired to feel like talking after all that work putting you in your place

Well, he called her loose, so of course she's upset.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

Human Tornada posted:

I wish I had the kind of confidence that allows you to preemptively boast about beating an experienced tennis player despite having never held a racket in your life.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Husband wants me to get an abortion because he thinks I'll not love my stepkids anymore

quote:

My husband Alex was previously married with his late wife, Lana for 16 years. They had three kid Jeremy(14M), Nora(12F) and Luke(3M). Lana died when Luke was 5 months old. I met Alex a few months after Lana's death, we got married January of this year. From the start I loved his children like mine. I always wanted children and I was so overjoyed when I suddenly got to be a stepmom. I love each of these children so so much. None of them calls me mom but I wish they did. Alex doesn't want me to "erase Lana" or "take her place". I always respected Lana and her memories. Sometimes Luke calls me mom and I love it but if he does that infront of Alex, he corrects Luke and shows Lana's photo that that's his mom,not me . I told him it's way too confusing for a 3 year old. He basically doesn't remember his "actual mom" and only knew me since he was 10 months old. I understand Lana was/is his love of life and I can't ever replace her but it seems little too much.

Alex and I talked about kids and he told me he doesn't want one with me now. So I was fine with it, I'm still young and we can wait. But last week I found out I am pregnant. I was on birth control so I was really confused I took one more test and it was also positive. I thought Alex would be ultimately fine with it even if he gets disappointed at first. He got angry at me and counted if I actually took pills as I'm supposed to, made me take one more test. He asked me if I'll get an abortion and I said no. He didn't say anything more. He's been so distant from me . I'm having to sleep in the guest room because I can't sleep in the same room with someone who acts annoyed at my presence. We haven't talked much since last week. He told me either I'll get an abortion now or he will get a vasectomy soon . I think he's already booking a vasectomy date. I'm feeling like an outsider in "our" family.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

trickybiscuits posted:

You can sometimes find huge canvases in the art section of secondhand stores and just gesso over them. You probably already knew that, but I like secondhand shopping.

You can also ask around at art supply stores to see if they have any rejects laying around. When I worked at Blick we'd reduce prices on canvases (or just outright chuck them) for minor frame issues and tiny imperfections in the weave. Still perfectly fine if you're doing big pours or heavy impasto or whatever.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Isn’t part of the point of making partner/CEO that you’ve more or less “won” and don’t need to play that game anymore?

according to every CEO ever, no.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Cowslips Warren posted:

Husband wants me to get an abortion because he thinks I'll not love my stepkids anymore

This guy sucks.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Human Tornada posted:

She would obviously be saying it as a joke, but I guess you and the OP couldn't pick up on that

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Isn’t part of the point of making partner/CEO that you’ve more or less “won” and don’t need to play that game anymore? She says money isn’t a problem, let him keep a few board seats warm and find some hobbies that hopefully aren’t too harmful to society.

Seems like the problem isn't that he is incompetent, it's that he's deeply unlikable. It's not like he didn't fit in in one company/organization, he's gotten let go from everywhere. I'm thinking that if he are competent enough to get to partner/CEO level while being that unpleasant to have around, he must be genuinely skillful and since he can't hang on to any of the gigs, he must be extraordinarily obnoxious.
I've never been anywhere near that level, but I am at the "call around former colleagues to look for openings" level, and I know I have plenty of those to have openings all over the place, not because I'm some super-genius at what I do, but because I was always on harmonious/friendly terms with most of the people I worked with. It helps very much that I've never had to work with assholes/bigots/racists. (or if they were, they kept it very secret)
In my experience, it's at least as important to get on with your colleagues as it is to be very good at your job.

Solenna
Jun 5, 2003

I'd say it was your manifest destiny not to.

Cowslips Warren posted:

My husband Alex was previously married with his late wife, Lana for 16 years. They had three kid Jeremy(14M), Nora(12F) and Luke(3M). Lana died when Luke was 5 months old.

Alex and I talked about kids and he told me he doesn't want one with me now. So I was fine with it, I'm still young and we can wait

I was concerned about math so I looked for the post.

quote:

Edit: I'm 23, he's 38. I was away and I saw some notifications with this question. Initially I didn't say the ages because it doesn't matter to me,we're adults.

:gonk:

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Is that general population or competitive Tennis players?

I don't believe 12% of men have ever played a game of Tennis
Latter is bit more believable.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

And that’s after two-ish years of dating, going by Luke’s given age at present and when his mom died :whitewater:

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Solenna posted:

I was concerned about math so I looked for the post.

:gonk:

also they knew each other only a few months before they got married.

dude just wanted a bangnanny.

AITA for taking food my coworker was eating and throwing it in the bin?

quote:

I F(27) recently started working with James (20). It is very obvious that James has a crush on me - and he has told me that himself numerous times.

I have to work with James because of our respective jobs (his department needs my department). So, each time he confessed his feelings for me, I simply brushed it off saying things like “you know I don’t like younger men,” “perhaps you should look at women closer to your age range,” and “James, can you please stop? I just want to do my work.” Each time he has ignored me.

If I don’t respond to him instantly, he gets very annoyed and will send a passive-aggressive email copying all of our supervisors. Something along the lines of “Hi OP, any update on this? I know you’re busy servicing others, but please don’t forget me. It’s urgent.”

This has been going on since May.

Three of my coworkers came to see me 2 weeks ago and told me that I need to speak to him about his behavior because it is getting worse - to the point where he sits in my cubicle and waits for me to come back if I’m not there.

I didn’t want to talk to him about it at first because he’s young, this is his first corporate job, and I didn’t want to hurt his feelings, but they convinced me to.

So, I decided to have a serious talk with him last week but he avoided me. Every time I saw him in my office space, I’d ask him to sit with me so we can have a serious talk, but he shrug it off and said he’s busy.

I left it alone.

Yesterday, we both worked and the office is usually clear on a Saturday. He came up to my cubicle while I was eating and sat next to me. He had his lunch and juice in his hand. I politely asked him to come back another time as I don’t like people watching me when I’m eating. He said “it’s just me though, don’t worry” and sat down anyway. He opened his food and he started eating.

I got annoyed and just started to take a big gulp of water. Half way through my drinking, he takes the water bottle from my mouth, covers it and throws it in the bin. He then said “that’s enough water. Are you ready to talk?”

I got so angry I just picked up his food and slammed it in the bin face down. I then told him to get the hell away from me.

He told me that I’m overreacting but left anyway.

This morning I got a call from my supervisor telling me that I have a meeting with HR tomorrow to discuss what happened.

I told my other coworkers about it and they all think that I should have just went to HR and not stoop to his level - and that throwing his food away was different from him throwing my water away - making me an AH.

Only since May? Oh well that's fine.

Jesus gently caress HR should have been her first visit.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Challenge her to a charity marathon match and line up rich backers. If I play conservatively I can stay awake long enough for her to get tired enough to double fault

It just says I have to take a point, a score of 80,000 to 1 should still count

atomicdream
Oct 4, 2017

shaking my money maker to fund my crippling glamour addiction.

Cloacamazing! posted:

Also people get obsessed with things. People will talk about their obsessions with people who don't care. That's a part of life unless you browbeat your autistic kid into never talking about anything they're interested ever again. My husband is the first person in my life to just let me ramble about stuff without judging me, and it means so much to me. With my family it's always "Stop talking about your stuff, we don't care, this is weird and nobody could possibly like it, now let's talk about the stuff we care about for hours."

My husband has done the same for me, and I agree - it's such a huge feeling of gratitude. I've def got complex and complicated feelings about my own family and the way they interact with me, but I really hadn't realized how much I would appreciate someone letting me infodump on them. (Meanwhile, my sister doesn't understand why she should ask about my interests of she doesn't care about them. Why, yes! She has been a frequent topic with my therapist, how did you know?)

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think I could, but only in very specific circumstances where there's some sort of freak incident like she gets struck by lightning, gets shot by a sniper, spontaneously combusts, etc.

This reminds me of my students from a couple of years ago, who asked me if I think I could beat a woman who's been trained in martial arts in a fight. I asked if they meant like someone who competes professionally, like Holly Holm or Amanda Nunez, to which they said "sure."

I told them I was 100% confident that I'd get my head punched in, and that I'd probably do well to last about 5 seconds, and that I'd be wondering about the decisions I'd made in my life that led me to that point, and where I'd gone wrong.

Haschel Cedricson
Jan 4, 2006

Brinkmanship

haveblue posted:

Challenge her to a charity marathon match and line up rich backers. If I play conservatively I can stay awake long enough for her to get tired enough to double fault

It just says I have to take a point, a score of 80,000 to 1 should still count

The problem is she knows that she's so much better that she doesn't have to be aggressive with her second serve, so her double fault rate is going to be much, much lower than when she plays against other professional players.

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

Cowslips Warren posted:

This lady is doesn’t deserve to have been harassed but holy gently caress she could not have handled this any worse if she tried.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Haschel Cedricson posted:

The problem is she knows that she's so much better that she doesn't have to be aggressive with her second serve, so her double fault rate is going to be much, much lower than when she plays against other professional players.

Yeah I’m imagining this happens after, say, 72 hours of continuous play

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

There's a chance I look so pathetic out there that she sandbags for the laughs. That counts right?

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

haveblue posted:

Yeah I’m imagining this happens after, say, 72 hours of continuous play

That's not how tennis matches work, you would lose every point and be walking off the court after an hour, tops. Probably more like half an hour

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Cowslips Warren posted:

Yeah, hopefully her supervisors and HR are aware enough to make sure that HR meeting has the correct outcome (creeper getting fired for cause), but if they aren't, OP has an uphill battle since he can control the narrative.

Always be reporting creepers to HR and/or your manager, even if they're not crossing the line to termination when it first happens, a mountain of paperwork makes it easy to get legal to buy off on throwing someone out on their rear end. If it appears to be an isolated incident, HR and legal might insist on giving the perpetrator a second chance.

I'm not endorsing any of that bullshit btw.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
She threw some creep who shouldn't even work there's sandwich away. It'll be fine.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Yeah I don’t think the guy reporting to HR “she threw my food in the garbage after I yanked her water bottle out of her mouth because she refuses to talk about our obviously mutual attraction” is going to go like he seems to expect

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

It's weird how often people who are 100% the victim of something, specially at work, will just handle it in the worst way possible to the point where THEY end up being the one who gets canned or in trouble with HR.

I knew someone who worked a standard office job and she had this extremely right wing religious coworker who was outright trying to convert her away from the gay and into god's embrace. Everyone told her to go to HR, go to HR, go to HR. The company takes this stuff actually seriously. She kept just brushing this lady's harassment off because she didn't want to make waves or "cause drama". This went on for a solid year with her just constantly trying to brush it off and turn the other cheek while her coworkers continued to beg her to go to HR. She forbid them from even going to HR on her behalf. Again "I don't want to make drama".

One day she snapped and pushed the bigot lady onto the floor and tried to just go back to work like nothing happened. Guess who got fired. She even tried to use the fact that she didn't go to HR for over a year as part of her defense, like she was earning HR-points or something for trying to tank the abuse. HR was double pissed at her for assaulting a coworker and not reporting it right away, specially since the obvious harassment was making the entire team extremely uncomfortable. Of course she made it out that "my company fired me for being gay"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Evil Willow posted:

I 28M told my fiance 25F that our wedding won’t be like her coworker’s. Now she won’t speak to me.

This was literally my wedding scenario.

Well, minus the accusations of being in love with someone else.

My wife and I got married at 25 which, in hindsight, we both say “what the gently caress were we thinking?” But it’s been 27 years now and life is good.

But the wedding: holy poo poo.

My wife wanted a small,outdoor wedding with close friends, and my parents wanted a traditional wedding in our family cathedral and 200 (!!) guests and I was too much of a chickenshit to stand up to my parents. The compromise was the cathedral, 200 guests but we had the reception outdoors nearby.

What was insane about it was how many people we had at our wedding that we didn’t know. Months later I’d introduce myself to someone and they’d say, “yeah, I was at your wedding”. It was so weird that my wife got on the mic and made an announcement that we weren’t going table to table to say hello but if you wanted to say hello she’d be the one in the wedding dress and would be easy to find.

I’ve since found my backbone and poo poo like that hadn’t happened since, but that wedding was so much nonsense.

A friend of mine was married later and they ended up having two weddings: a backyard barbecue and a big-rear end Indian wedding complete with white mustang and sword.