Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KORNOLOGY
Aug 9, 2006
Janice plz just stay under the boardwalk you loving troll

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Matt Zerella posted:

Aida Turturro loving rules. Easily there with Imperioli, Gandalfini, and Falco for best actors on the show.

The most correct opinion.

e: also the Curb episode where she plays the inventors wife is incredible.

Another Bill fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Oct 1, 2023

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

They hated Futanari because His posts were shit.
Janice is one of my favorites just for how well Aida Turturro plays such an unlikeable character. Mad acting skills

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

Worst acting on the show- Tracee, Gabriella Dante, Danielle Agent Ciccerone, Vito is probably up there honestly

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

“Mother of God, Janice!
Are all of you Sopranos the same?

I ask you nicely to stay out of it, you pretend not to hear.

Well maybe you’re gonna hear this:

Mind your loving business! Keep your mouth shut when it comes to my kids!”

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

What's the general opinion on Many Saints? I thought it was mostly just a whole lot of fun from an "impersonations as acting" standpoint, but the story was meh

Repeating what I posted somewhere else: Gandolfini's son is does one hell of a job playing his dad (and looking exactly like him/how he would have looked), and the rest of the rogue's gallery I just kept bursting out laughing at every little physical trait, like Silvio stalking around with his arms stuck out like a scarecrow and combing his toupee, or Paulie being more Paulie than Paulie or Junior being more Junior than Junior. Even Janice and Carmela and Livia were picture-perfect studies in mannerisms and gestures and vocal tics (like Livia's little dismissive hand-wave thing). It was nuts and I about lost it at "he doesn't have the makings of a varsity athlete"

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Data Graham posted:

What's the general opinion on Many Saints? I thought it was mostly just a whole lot of fun from an "impersonations as acting" standpoint, but the story was meh

Repeating what I posted somewhere else: Gandolfini's son is does one hell of a job playing his dad (and looking exactly like him/how he would have looked), and the rest of the rogue's gallery I just kept bursting out laughing at every little physical trait, like Silvio stalking around with his arms stuck out like a scarecrow and combing his toupee, or Paulie being more Paulie than Paulie or Junior being more Junior than Junior. Even Janice and Carmela and Livia were picture-perfect studies in mannerisms and gestures and vocal tics (like Livia's little dismissive hand-wave thing). It was nuts and I about lost it at "he doesn't have the makings of a varsity athlete"

That it's objectively terrible and totally unnecessary. I gave it two chances and never finished it.

It's poo poo.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
It’s fine as fan service but not a good movie overall. I don’t hate it but I’m not going out of my way to watch it.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Dokapon Findom posted:

Janice is one of my favorites just for how well Aida Turturro plays such an unlikeable character. Mad acting skills

For real yeah. Janice is an awful person, but an electric character

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

Sacre Bleu, where is me mama

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Aida Turturro is fantastic on the show and also good in the other things I've seen her in. Man is she ever great at getting me to hate Janice Soprano.

The actors on the show, overall, are all pretty much terrific and a huge part of what makes it work. Not just the leads either. There are very few weak links here and even performers who might not necessarily stand out aren't dragging things down. For instance, Steve Schirripa isn't really turning heads or stealing scenes on the show and isn't someone one thinks of as a great actor but he's still really good here and he still has his moments.

I have a hard-on for bad acting and, when I see it, it can ruin and otherwise take me right out of a film or TV show, but I don't recall ever really feeling that on the Sopranos. Or The Wire. For as much poo poo as Robert Iler gets, who I guess is considered the weakest link here, even he always came off as believable on screen for me.

It helps a lot, I imagine, that the writing and direction are so consistently good throughout the series that the actors almost always have a lot to work with and they're all given their fair share of the spotlight.

KORNOLOGY
Aug 9, 2006
Saints of Newark sits next together with Glitter in Movies I Can't Even Remember because it caused me psychic pain.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Data Graham posted:

What's the general opinion on Many Saints?

kalel posted:

loling at pages 179+ itt

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

:barf::sweep::zoid:

The Rolling Stones tongue logo tattoo on her boob is the perfect detail for Janice the annoying hippie. Right before the Russians bust in and beat her up for stealing Svetlana’s leg, she’s in her kitchen ineptly strumming the opening riff of Satisfaction on guitar.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I didn't have any issues with Iler's performance, that seemed like the way that AJ soprano would act and talk to me.

I dunno if I'd call Steven Van Zandt a thespian, but I think he was used just right for the show; onscreen just enough for you to like him but not to get sick of him, never pushed to punch above his weight class (appropriately, the one silvio-centric arc I can recall is the part where he has to step up as acting boss and starts falling apart because he can't handle the weight of being a main character)

I did not see many saints but i have heard consistently that silvio is not good in it

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

It's really too bad that we only get one season of Tony's mom, because she basically haunts the entire series with Tony and Janice slowly turning into her in different ways

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

FlamingLiberal posted:

It's really too bad that we only get one season of Tony's mom, because she basically haunts the entire series with Tony and Janice slowly turning into her in different ways

Agreed. Nancy Marchand was THE driving force of S1 and, apparently was going to be central to the ongoing story moving forward before her untimely death.

KORNOLOGY
Aug 9, 2006
Livia is extremely relatable in ways we don't like

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

KORNOLOGY posted:

Janice plz just stay under the boardwalk you loving troll

ROADIES!?!?!!?!?!?

Ainsley McTree posted:

I did not see many saints but i have heard consistently that silvio is not good in it

He's easily the most cartoonish and ridiculous of the crew we're used to. I thought Paulie was actually pretty hilariously on point ("Dickie, I just bought this jacket") though.

The one thing that struck me weird was that Johnny Boy is way more of a psycho than the warmer, more genial-seeming dude in the show's flashbacks. But since they're Tony's flashbacks, I guess it makes sense

Rev. Bleech_ fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Oct 1, 2023

KORNOLOGY
Aug 9, 2006
Tony always played the good son (and he was) but it was clear she wouldn't live in his house (for good reason) and she viewed her retirement as a grave

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

The one thing that struck me weird was that Johnny Boy is way more of a psycho than the warmer, more genial-seeming dude in the show's flashbacks. But since they're Tony's flashbacks, I guess it makes sense

I was thinking about that today for some reason yeah. Everyone blames Livia for loving Tony and Janice up (not undeservedly) but hey, Johnny Boy was there too, he just isn't around to get mad at now. He must've been a piece of poo poo

KORNOLOGY
Aug 9, 2006
The show has key junctures to remind us the mob lifestyle isn't healthy for wives in the slightest. But those moments are quickly forgotten, because they really don't matter. (The wives)

KORNOLOGY fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Oct 1, 2023

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

Completely forgot about how Chris died until I watched last night. Then Tony trying to justify it, even asking Carm if she was a bit relieved. Kind of sad how much I've forgotten about this show. To be fair I was battling my own demons like Chris. Sad he couldn't get the support to beat his problems like I've been lucky enough to.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Somebody called here AFTER dark. :colbert:

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
The phone is auditory. Dark is an eye thing.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Pope Corky the IX posted:

The phone is auditory. Dark is an eye thing.

I did legit think once "I do want to go for a drive but they're predicting rain."

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

BiggerBoat posted:

Agreed. Nancy Marchand was THE driving force of S1 and, apparently was going to be central to the ongoing story moving forward before her untimely death.

As phenomenal as the show already is, man, imagine if we got a full six seasons of her. And if she got several more years of life

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Wiltsghost posted:

Completely forgot about how Chris died until I watched last night. Then Tony trying to justify it, even asking Carm if she was a bit relieved. Kind of sad how much I've forgotten about this show. To be fair I was battling my own demons like Chris. Sad he couldn't get the support to beat his problems like I've been lucky enough to.

I think that, in Tony's mind, he gave Chris every chance in the world. More than any random mook in a crew might get by far. But Chris is gonna Christophah. In a warped way, Tony was right, at least in the context of how the mafia handles poo poo, and the decision to kill him was built on the foundation opportunism, convenience and, in some ways, mercy. Him trying to justify it speaks to his guilt and (again) attempting to rationalize what he does every day as a matter of course. The cost of doing business in his mind. He did Chris as much harm as he did to help him (knocking him off the wagon, mocking his sobriety).

I had/have addiction issues of my own and so do several members of my immediate family and dealing with that poo poo - both from my end and everyone else around me, including my ex wife and my mother - is a colossal pain in the rear end and a total drain on anyone involved with it.

What I'm sayin' is that the Mob is gonna Mob and, to a certain extent and definitely in Tony's mind, he thought of it not only as a clean opportunity and a way out but also as a mercy killing. I don't think he saw another really clean (or, more to the point, easy and simple) way out with Chris had he spared him and he was ill equipped to handle the ramifications of Chris failing a drug test. Legally or within the family. The mafia isn't really set up to deal with things like feelings, empathy, kindness, forgiveness, mental health or even raising a functional family, as we're repeatedly shown.

It's greed, selfishness and violence all the way down that they self justify and rationalize.

KORNOLOGY
Aug 9, 2006

Boat man I know you can do better

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

KORNOLOGY posted:

Boat man I know you can do better

What do you mean?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Ainsley McTree posted:

I was thinking about that today for some reason yeah. Everyone blames Livia for loving Tony and Janice up (not undeservedly) but hey, Johnny Boy was there too, he just isn't around to get mad at now. He must've been a piece of poo poo
He was a saint!

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

Huh? What does he even do in the movie? He's around for a bit then goes off to prison for half the movie, gets released has a couple scenes then disappears again.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fpE4Cg08b58

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Many Saints never happened, dont talk about it.

What do people think are Chris' survival odds if Tony doesn't suffocate him? Its not as if he walked in to his house and gunned him down in cold blood.

I suppose I ought to be more sympathetic towards characters with addictions. Gambling is a big thing on my moms side, and I have one cousin/childhood friend who has been completely consumed by drugs. I haven't even smoked weed in 16 years, largely due to that cousin and what he's become, but I also stopped enjoying it. I'm sort of fortunate in a way because I see Chris shooting up or snorting blow, and I guess on some extremely low level there is a small curiosity of what it must feel like, but its never been close to overpowering the rational side that knows what goes along with hard drugs. I've struggled with depression and other difficult moments but it was all my own fault, my life has been easy compared to many in regards to family life and the advantages that not everyone has.

Still, as a viewer, in the context of Tony's life and his work, I dont think he had much other choice at that moment than to put it to bed and be done with it.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

codo27 posted:

What do people think are Chris' survival odds if Tony doesn't suffocate him? Its not as if he walked in to his house and gunned him down in cold blood.

Probably pretty low. Phil comes for him first, most like.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

i’m not even sure he could survive the car accident, to be honest.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

the trolley problem but the outcomes are either "chris dies" or "chris probably dies (at the very least he's permanently incapacitated)" and tony is at the lever

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

His death was likely inevitable from the injuries, making Tony's act that much more unnecessary and petty

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

I don't think Tony was thinking about Chris' health prognosis when he killed him. He was worried Chris would get arrested in hospital and turn state's witness, it was purely selfish imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

A great gimmick would be someone creating a Facebook account under the guise of Janice and posting as her. I think it would be pretty easy to figure out what kind of poster she would be.