Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dalmuti
Apr 8, 2007

Morrow posted:

The real killer is the hastert rule, named for the former speaker, which says that a speaker won't schedule a vote that doesn't have the support of a majority of their party. You can absolutely pass a lot of legislation with a minority of Republicans siding with Dems but those votes won't happen.

Gotta love the literal pedophile rule

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koos Group
Mar 6, 2013

Please provide your own commentary or summary when linking something.

Seph
Jul 12, 2004

Please look at this photo every time you support or defend war crimes. Thank you.

Morrow posted:

The real killer is the hastert rule, named for the former speaker, which says that a speaker won't schedule a vote that doesn't have the support of a majority of their party. You can absolutely pass a lot of legislation with a minority of Republicans siding with Dems but those votes won't happen.

A majority of republicans voted in favor of the funding bill. I don’t think the hastert rule is an issue here.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/ashlee_leeee/status/1708473791226036627

This is probably just a handful of McCarthyites working the refs through the media but it would be real funny if Gaetz became the first congressman to get expelled for being too obnoxious.

I can’t believe that quote is true. Nobody on Earth could ever think Gaetz is smart.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

He has a low cunning.

Dull Fork
Mar 22, 2009

World Famous W posted:

people can just admit they don't mind using underhanded tactics for political purposes, this time delaying a vote to get longer to read a bill by causing an evacuation

Any hand-wringing from the left about this incident just makes me roll my eyes. Doing some mild mischief so that you can read a bill is good, voting on a bill you haven't read is bad under all circumstances. Did they not see what republicans thought they could get away with on Jan 6th? gently caress's sake.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Dull Fork posted:

Any hand-wringing from the left about this incident just makes me roll my eyes. Doing some mild mischief so that you can read a bill is good, voting on a bill you haven't read is bad under all circumstances. Did they not see what republicans thought they could get away with on Jan 6th? gently caress's sake.

Dems are mad that Bowman seems not bright, and Republicans are mad they funded the government. Nobody is really talking about Bowman except this forum and The Hill comment sections.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

I AM GRANDO posted:

I can’t believe that quote is true. Nobody on Earth could ever think Gaetz is smart.

It's more of the fact that you can get away with a lot more if you don't have any morals or convictions to hold you back.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

Dull Fork posted:

Wouldn't a fire alarm in a congressional building at the very least activate local police or the fire department?

gently caress it, let's hope Schumer calls in a bomb threat next time, or someone brings a airsoft gun, why the gently caress not. What the gently caress man, mild mischief, jesus loving christ.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

Dull Fork posted:

im cool with underhanded tactics. it makes me roll my eyes when i see people try to sell me that it was just a mistake

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Nonsense posted:

Dems are mad that Bowman seems not bright, and Republicans are mad they funded the government. Nobody is really talking about Bowman except this forum and The Hill comment sections.

don't worry Fox News is on the case

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

World Famous W posted:

im cool with underhanded tactics. it makes me roll my eyes when i see people try to sell me that it was just a mistake

AOC was on Meet the Press this morning doing just that. It's loving infuriating.

E: I've never seen a Rachel Campos Duffy quote that wasn't dumb as gently caress

small butter
Oct 8, 2011

So what's so special about this particular possible shutdown that the Republican Speaker decided to go ahead and fund the government, at least for now? As far as I remember, Republicans never had an qualms about shutting down, and I think we've had at least 3-4 under them in the past decade or so.

Was it personal? Was McCarthy just annoyed at the right wingers?

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

small butter posted:

So what's so special about this particular possible shutdown that the Republican Speaker decided to go ahead and fund the government, at least for now? As far as I remember, Republicans never had an qualms about shutting down, and I think we've had at least 3-4 under them in the past decade or so.

McCarthy, the majority of the Republican caucus, and the entirety of the Democratic caucus did not want to shut down the government; only the House Suicide Caucus did. I'd like to think he eventually realized that he could literally never give the HFC everything they wanted because what they wanted was impossible, so this could only ever end with them trying to oust him. He had nothing to lose by calling their bluff, and everything to gain by dodging most of the political fallout from a shutdown. The reality is probably a mixture of that and he got cornered and yelled at by enough people with a basic grasp of strategy.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

don't worry Fox News is on the case

stealing this for the RWM thread

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

small butter posted:

Government shutdowns pretty much always go badly for the GOP. The general public hates government shutdowns, and they mostly know who's to blame for the shutdowns. Every time, the GOP tries to spin them as good politics or blame them on the Dems or whatever, and it's never actually worked. They take the blame for the shutdown, and it does real political damage to them. By this point, the actual career politicians in the GOP have tried every idea they could come up with to avoid having shutdown gambits blow up in their own faces, and it's never worked. They certainly don't want to risk it again.

On the other hand, there's the MAGA crew from ultra-red districts who have no need to be likeable among the general public. The only voters they need to please are the Trump cultists, and they desperately need every piece of leverage they can to pass their ridiculously deep spending cuts and their absurdly unpopular radical social agenda, so they dig in their heels harder and harder every time a crucial must-pass bill comes up for a vote. Their seats are safe, and they don't really care if this blows up in the moderates' faces.

The power balance between those two groups largely dictates whether a shutdown happens.

Nonsense posted:

Nah, right-wing media is going to be talking about Bowman for weeks. The McCarthy wing is desperate for a distraction from the fact that the GOP can't even keep the government running, as well as the fact that the CR they went with ultimately got more Dem votes than GOP votes. The far-right, which has seen lots of Jan 6th rioters prosecuted for interfering with the official business of Congress, wants to try to cast it as equivalent to Jan 6th, and they're not being particularly subtle about this false equivalence. Andy Biggs straight-up called Bowman an "insurrectionist". Both factions of the right-wing badly want to distract from their own problems and failings, and therefore have an incentive to make a huge deal about this (even though no one outside of the far right is going to buy it).

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010
I'm betting the reason they caved is that they realized how completely they'd failed to shift the narrative to blame Dems. The shitshow where they couldn't even pass their own messaging bill basically ensured that the shutdown would go far worse for them than the Dems. Now they can revisit in in 45 days and try to blame the Dems again.

Kale
May 14, 2010

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

AOC was on Meet the Press this morning doing just that. It's loving infuriating.

E: I've never seen a Rachel Campos Duffy quote that wasn't dumb as gently caress

I think it's more inner state politics stuff of why do you go after one colleague from my state this hard when this other guy from my state George Santos from your party, who is outed as a grifter at this point, is fine to just keep serving after having told countless outright lies to get elected. She's also right about him being a piss weak speaker that can't unite his caucus like Jeffries is at least capable of on the other side of the aisle.

Yeah though it's pretty obvious the guy hosed up but if Bowman (D-NY) loses his seat or something over it while Santos (R-NY) gets to keep his seat after all of his bullshit and literal indictment, including his office breaking fundraising rules by impersonating McCarthy's office then that's just partisan hackery at it's finest. I know for a fact that pissed McCarthy off big time, but he's not going to do anything about Santos on all the same.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

I AM GRANDO posted:

It's worth remembering that intelligence is both relative and an absolute. It could be that whoever is quoted is even dumber, and just doesn't realize it.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Madkal posted:

It's more of the fact that you can get away with a lot more if you don't have any morals or convictions to hold you back.

I’m amazed there isn’t more dirt on this guy. There’s a reason he and Katie Hill became such good friends so quickly (groomers on the prowl making GBS threads where they eat).

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

I AM GRANDO posted:

I’m amazed there isn’t more dirt on this guy. There’s a reason he and Katie Hill became such good friends so quickly (groomers on the prowl making GBS threads where they eat).

Because he's a scion :barf: of a Florida politician and therefore the state apparatus is very good at keeping his sleaze covered up or at least enough that nothing will make it to trial. It's why his drunk driving and kiddy prostituting has failed to result in him being drummed out of office or thrown in prison.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

World Famous W posted:

people can just admit they don't mind using underhanded tactics for political purposes, this time delaying a vote to get longer to read a bill by causing an evacuation

I'm actually legit surprised by some of the criticisms when I thought in general Democrats haven't been showing enough spine and now that someone has some backbone to do what needs to be done for their principles suddenly this is a big issue? I'm very confused.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Raenir Salazar posted:

I'm actually legit surprised by some of the criticisms when I thought in general Democrats haven't been showing enough spine and now that someone has some backbone to do what needs to be done for their principles suddenly this is a big issue? I'm very confused.

Because Dems are supposed to be the good cops, and now that they've done something naughty, what's to stop a Republican from pulling the fire alarm as a tactic?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
If that’s what he’s going to do then he should loving own it. Just say “yeah I pulled the alarm to delay the vote. What of it?”

Instead I’m having my intelligence insulted by people doing mental gymnastics about how this is all a misunderstanding about the wording on “EMERGENCY EXIT - ALARM WILL SOUND” being ambiguous and oh gosh anyone would have made that mistake.

I mean it’s not a big deal for me either way but it’s a really loving dumb excuse on the same level of “my dog ate my homework no really my dog did and also my grandma died”. Plus the other end of this is that if this was some republican fuckwit who did it im pretty sure every single one of you “who cares” people itt would be raging incessantly about how they need to resign. Just because this time the idiot in question is on our preferred side doesn’t really make it better.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Oct 1, 2023

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Boris Galerkin posted:

If that’s what he’s going to do then he should loving own it. Just say “yeah I pulled the alarm to delay the vote. What of it?”

How about he just sits down with the cops and explains everything

hes picked a story he needs to stick with it and move on

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Right, and him sticking with that story and the other dems doing mental gymnastics to stick with it is really loving insulting to mine and anyone’s intelligence.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop
Guys, I didn't poo poo my pants on purpose, I thought I was making GBS threads down my pants leg onto the floor avoiding poo poo pooling in my pants.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

Raenir Salazar posted:

maybe my second post will help clear that confusion up

World Famous W posted:

Normy
Jul 1, 2004

Do I Krushchev?

I need to see the whole video of him going up to the door, trying it, seeing the sign, looking around confused, seeing the alarm, hesitating, then pulling it to believe him.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Normy posted:

I need to see the whole video of him going up to the door, trying it, seeing the sign, looking around confused, seeing the alarm, hesitating, then pulling it to believe him.

It being a delay tactic but done with this level of kayfabe would cross back over and rule lol

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

iirc he's already sat down with the capital cops and the sergeant at arms, and I wouldn't mind being a fly on the wall for that

there's a bunch of wandering speculation and I'm not even confident which building it was or how much disruption it actually caused to either congress, or the capitol cops, or the building if it wasn't the capitol

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Seems like he did a good thing in the spur of the moment and lost his spine the moment consequences were involved which is disappointing, still overall a step forward from being spineless 100% of the time.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

I AM GRANDO posted:

Isn't Gaetz the guy who suddenly announced he had a 19-year old "son" living with him that nobody had ever heard of before and the whole thing was super duper dodgy?

I'm surprised that never became a bigger thing, iirc the kid literally never existed before then.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Nephthys posted:

Isn't Gaetz the guy who suddenly announced he had a 19-year old "son" living with him that nobody had ever heard of before and the whole thing was super duper dodgy?

I'm surprised that never became a bigger thing, iirc the kid literally never existed before then.

That, among several other things. Dude is super creepy and weird.

I do not like him.

At all.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
Gaetz went on CNN today and said he'd move to oust McCarthy this week.

McCarthy went on CBS today, and is publicly projecting an air of confidence and fearlessness, telling Gaetz to "bring it on".

It's pretty clear that the fate of McCarthy lies in the hands of Dems, who haven't been too open about how they're going to respond. Gaetz reportedly started approaching Dems privately several days ago and asking them how they'd vote onof a motion to vacate.

The House Dems don't seem to have fully settled on a strategy, yet. It's a difficult choice - side with Gaetz to screw over McCarthy, or side with McCarthy to screw over Gaetz? Progressive leaders like Jayapal and AOC appear to be firmly on the "oust McCarthy" side even if it means helping Gaetz, while a few moderates have suggested that saving McCarthy would almost (but not quite) be worth it just to see the look on Gaetz's face. Publicly, the Dem leadership has yet to commit to anything, but barely anyone in the Dem caucus likes or trusts McCarthy at all, so the general consensus is that he'd have to offer a substantial bribe with ironclad guarantees to get unified Dem backing.

Boris Galerkin posted:

Right, and him sticking with that story and the other dems doing mental gymnastics to stick with it is really loving insulting to mine and anyone’s intelligence.

I doubt he gives a poo poo how credible people find the story to be, because it's completely loving inconsequential, and everyone except the worst politics addicts and the most dedicated anti-Dem partisans will have already forgotten about it by now. The Speaker of the House is getting ousted for refusing to shut the government down, this fire alarm stuff is absolutely not going to go down in history.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Main Paineframe posted:

Gaetz went on CNN today and said he'd move to oust McCarthy this week.

McCarthy went on CBS today, and is publicly projecting an air of confidence and fearlessness, telling Gaetz to "bring it on".

It's pretty clear that the fate of McCarthy lies in the hands of Dems, who haven't been too open about how they're going to respond. Gaetz reportedly started approaching Dems privately several days ago and asking them how they'd vote onof a motion to vacate.

The House Dems don't seem to have fully settled on a strategy, yet. It's a difficult choice - side with Gaetz to screw over McCarthy, or side with McCarthy to screw over Gaetz? Progressive leaders like Jayapal and AOC appear to be firmly on the "oust McCarthy" side even if it means helping Gaetz, while a few moderates have suggested that saving McCarthy would almost (but not quite) be worth it just to see the look on Gaetz's face. Publicly, the Dem leadership has yet to commit to anything, but barely anyone in the Dem caucus likes or trusts McCarthy at all, so the general consensus is that he'd have to offer a substantial bribe with ironclad guarantees to get unified Dem backing.

I doubt he gives a poo poo how credible people find the story to be, because it's completely loving inconsequential, and everyone except the worst politics addicts and the most dedicated anti-Dem partisans will have already forgotten about it by now. The Speaker of the House is getting ousted for refusing to shut the government down, this fire alarm stuff is absolutely not going to go down in history.

It's not entirely clear who would be Speaker if McCarthy is forced out. Might be McCarthy again. So what you do is let Gaetz oust him for maximum embarrassment and then extract concessions from McCarthy or his chosen successor, I suppose.

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

Name Change posted:

It's not entirely clear who would be Speaker if McCarthy is forced out. Might be McCarthy again. So what you do is let Gaetz oust him for maximum embarrassment and then extract concessions from McCarthy or his chosen successor, I suppose.

exactly my thought. Without a clear speaker in waiting, the question isn’t “out McCarthy” so much as “and the what?”

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Name Change posted:

Yeah I feel like letting Gaetz oust him, and then being willing to vote for McCarthy for speaker regardless afterwards For The Right Price is like, the maximum way to make McCarthy go "gently caress it I've got to rely on the dems for poo poo ANYWAY."

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

It feels like the best option is for Dems to save McCarthy in exchange for some real nice guarantees and not give the Fascist Caucus a win, but who knows if McCarthy will agree to said guarantees or make good on them later

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Queering Wheel posted:

It feels like the best option is for Dems to save McCarthy in exchange for some real nice guarantees and not give the Fascist Caucus a win, but who knows if McCarthy will agree to said guarantees or make good on them later

In theory yes, but it feels like you gotta let him actually go over the cliff first rather than saving him from going over the cliff in the first place to really make clear that he NEEDS the dems at that point.