Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Rolo posted:

Finally got more AmFilm glass protectors for my 15 pro but this time I did it in the bathroom after running a hot shower. Zero issues this time, perfect application and looks good.

I still have AC+ but this is gonna be nice to have. I never break a phone but I always get those little scratches that aren't enough to justify getting it fixed, now I can just replace the protector once a year or so.

Good poo poo.

If you have AC+ and the scratches bother you, just go outside every so often and yeet it at concrete

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

slave to my cravings posted:

My iPhone 12 mini camera can’t focus in 1x mode. Works fine in 0.5x mode. I was taking pictures outside, twenty minutes later and it can’t focus anymore. Didn’t drop it or anything. No lens protectors on. Tried restarting, updating to iOS 17. Anyone else experience something like this?

I think 12 minis might just be cursed. The earpiece on mine just died one month after the warranty expired. Since it’s part of the screen they said it would be $250 to fix, so instead I traded it in and got a 13 mini for $400

DeusIgnis
Jan 17, 2010

Rolo posted:

Finally got more AmFilm glass protectors for my 15 pro but this time I did it in the bathroom after running a hot shower. Zero issues this time, perfect application and looks good.

I still have AC+ but this is gonna be nice to have. I never break a phone but I always get those little scratches that aren't enough to justify getting it fixed, now I can just replace the protector once a year or so.

Good poo poo.

I used to always hate putting on screen protectors until I used Spigen’s. Their application process works for me every time.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
What’s up with Live Activities? My Watch tells me that workouts should now mirror on my phone. It worked twice but not since then.

It’s not an issue with Live Activities per se as they work with third party apps…

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Holy hell why does iOS keep undoing the changes I make to StandBy? All I want is the clock and the calendar but it keeps bringing all the other widgets back.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Just stop trying to use it until a release or two down the road probably

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Has anyone run into issues with power banks not charging their IPhone 15 Pro? I have an Anker 523 which has 20W PD but though it detects my iPhone 15 Pro (the power bank LEDs light up), it doesn’t charge. Using the same cables with an Anker 20W AC adapter works so it’s not the cables. I wonder if this has to do with the iPhone 15 Pro being able to charge other devices and somehow the USB negotiation is failing.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Josh Lyman posted:

Has anyone run into issues with power banks not charging their IPhone 15 Pro? I have an Anker 523 which has 20W PD but though it detects my iPhone 15 Pro (the power bank LEDs light up), it doesn’t charge. Using the same cables with an Anker 20W AC adapter works so it’s not the cables. I wonder if this has to do with the iPhone 15 Pro being able to charge other devices and somehow the USB negotiation is failing.

I had issues with my 10-port USB-A bank refusing to charge my wife and I’s 15 Pros even with various A to C cables, but after a couple days it magically worked ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Did 17.1 kill the new ringtones?

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
AC+ on my 13 Pro expires TODAY. Do I need to do anything to continue month to month? Are they going to send me an email or something tomorrow when it's actually expired to get me to go month to month?

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

OldSenileGuy posted:

AC+ on my 13 Pro expires TODAY. Do I need to do anything to continue month to month? Are they going to send me an email or something tomorrow when it's actually expired to get me to go month to month?

I'd go onto fruit's site and sign up now.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
Work issued me an iPhone 11, which was broken by changes to our security settings. The remote device management team sent me a replacement 13, which works flawlessly, and then never said anything about the old 11. I emailed the remote team recently and asked them what they wanted me to do with the old 11, and the response was "dispose of it as you see fit. if you keep it we will not remove remote device management".

Can I trade the old 11 in for credit towards a new iPhone 15, or will remote management cause problems? My cell provider is AT&T for both my work phone and my personal phone.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

You have to wipe it before you trade it in and the MDM will cause issues.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Sucks they won’t remove the MDM if they’re willing to toss it anyways. I used to help with a managed iPad program at work and we could send commands to remote wipe the thing and confirm it before removing our backend stuff.

We didn’t use them for anything that could be considered sensitive so we were more lax, also management was tech stupid to say the least. They didn’t want to pay professionals what it was worth to manage 85 iPads so they gave the whole thing to me and it completely hosed them when I quit. Hope they learned from that (lmao just kidding gently caress em.)

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
I think there's just one poor lady in the mobile device management team now, there were at least 4-5 before covid and of course the company is in austerity mode and who needs to backfill support positions! I'm not sure how many people she supports but in my division alone there's at least 200 people that have work issued cell phones, and that's just the western US. We're a multinational with over a hundred thousand employees, so no idea how many people she supports by herself. Anyway, corporations are stupid and I'm gonna pay for an iPhone now I guess!

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.

Tiny Timbs posted:

Holy hell why does iOS keep undoing the changes I make to StandBy? All I want is the clock and the calendar but it keeps bringing all the other widgets back.

For me it has happened after updating to both 17.0.1 and then 17.0.2. I know small quick point releases are less likely as we get further away from the release window, but when I upgraded to 17.0.2 and saw the Cupertino clock after setting everything up again after 17.0.1, I just went to settings and turned it off for good. It's a so-so feature with a bad implementation, why torture myself?

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003

Rolo posted:

Did 17.1 kill the new ringtones?
Yep https://bgr.com/tech/ios-17-1-beta-everything-new-for-iphone-users/

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

wtf

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Just charged my phone for the first time in 2 days. Granted one of those was a sick day but still impressed it wasn't even hitting the low battery warning yet.

Surprise T Rex
Apr 9, 2008

Dinosaur Gum
Looking at the pro max I was surprised to find that it was nearly the same size as my XR (1cm taller but otherwise basically identical). I’m tempted now to cancel my 15 Pro order and get the Max instead for the much better battery life and 5x zoom.

I thought I’d hate a bigger phone so I played it safe with the smaller Pro, because I didn’t like my old Samsung S21 Ultra, but it seems that’s actually even bigger than the Pro Max, and I was coming to it from an even smaller Pixel 3 at the time.

Anyone upgraded from the XR -> 15 PM? Does it actually feel around the same size in-hand?

Fireside Nut
Feb 10, 2010

turp

Surprise T Rex posted:

Looking at the pro max I was surprised to find that it was nearly the same size as my XR (1cm taller but otherwise basically identical). I’m tempted now to cancel my 15 Pro order and get the Max instead for the much better battery life and 5x zoom.

I thought I’d hate a bigger phone so I played it safe with the smaller Pro, because I didn’t like my old Samsung S21 Ultra, but it seems that’s actually even bigger than the Pro Max, and I was coming to it from an even smaller Pixel 3 at the time.

Anyone upgraded from the XR -> 15 PM? Does it actually feel around the same size in-hand?

I was going to go with the Pro until I saw the Max was pretty much the same size as my XR. They really are pretty much the same size in person, too. The only difference I really notice is that the PM is a little heavier than the XR. I've adjusted to it, but it was noticeable. Not a big deal though.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I would pay $1 extra a month for Apple Music if all of the songs were the same drat volume.

It gets really bad on your radio station

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Does the sound check setting not help?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Yeah I was gonna say, that's what Sound Check is supposed to do.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Dogen posted:

Does the sound check setting not help?

Is that in the music settings because I’m totally not seeing it?

Edit: NM found it!

I guess that was off. I’ll give it a shot with it on.

It’s not so much that some songs were too loud it was that others were weirdly quiet

Thanks!

It’s irritating that it doesn’t even say what sound check does in the settings menu lol

MarcusSA fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Oct 2, 2023

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

They really want me to learn this

Every time I use them.

Also I’m liking Apple Music after trying it out for a few months, but drat they force it in front of other audio. Do I want to continue the podcast I was listening to a few minutes ago? No, go back to a song I heard five days ago whenever possible

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

Snowy posted:

Every time I use them.

Yeah, that poo poo's getting really old.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

MarcusSA posted:

It’s irritating that it doesn’t even say what sound check does in the settings menu lol

I think it’s never occurred to them, mostly because it’s an old feature from the iPod days.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Surprise T Rex posted:

Did the exact same jump. It feels bigger, mostly taller because it is. But it doesn’t fundamentally change how I use my phone. I couldn’t use the XR for single hand texting for things longer than a terse reply, and this one isn’t exactly different.

Regardless, I’m completely “blind” to the size jump now and I get the benefits of a bigger battery and a shockingly decent 5x zoom function for my normie eyes

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
One thing I miss from my Pixel 7 Pro, was the form factor. It was much more comfortable to hold in the hand - It was a little slimmer width wise and it makes a big difference. Was reminded this yesterday when I was at a party with my friend who has one.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Snowy posted:

Every time I use them.

Also I’m liking Apple Music after trying it out for a few months, but drat they force it in front of other audio. Do I want to continue the podcast I was listening to a few minutes ago? No, go back to a song I heard five days ago whenever possible

Sometimes it happens if your podcast app gets kicked out of memory if you go do something else.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Sometimes it happens if your podcast app gets kicked out of memory if you go do something else.

I really wish they’d work on that. No I don’t want to go back and hear audio from an ad, can they really not tell the difference between an ad and a podcast app? And if I haven’t listened to Apple Music lately it doesn’t mean I want it jumping ahead of whatever else I’m in the middle of.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
It's weird having a phone that i don't have to charge for two to three days.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Mister Facetious posted:

It's weird having a phone that i don't have to charge for two to three days.

Nothing about the jump to XR->15PM was all that exciting to me, especially given that we’ve pretty much settled on slight variations of the iPhone X body, but all the little nice-to-haves added up to be a far larger jump than I had anticipated. A much better battery is one of those big appreciated changes.

Still definitely hurts that I spent a midrange 1440p gaming computer’s worth of money for it though, good lord.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I wonder how much of “my battery now lasts forever” is just people moving from an ancient phone with 80% battery capacity to, you know, a new battery

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Vegetable posted:

I wonder how much of “my battery now lasts forever” is just people moving from an ancient phone with 80% battery capacity to, you know, a new battery

85% the other % hardly used their phones anyway

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
So I have hearing aids that I use to stream music to.

Only downside is that whenever something involving the microphone happens they switch off (like Shazam or filming something with camera app, feels like they’re turning „on“ but there’s obviously no sound playing, not even passthrough from the camera) and then there’s randomly streaming sound for App Store and some websites/ads. Is there a way to restrict that so I don’t lose my hearing whenever I browse a website or want to see the lyrics to a song I’m listening to on a different speaker?

Only solution I have so far is turning Bluetooth off and that’s kind of convoluted plus sometimes it’ll make me blast music from my phone speakers when I forget to enable it again. :v:

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

How much longer can I expect to get updates on an 11 pro max? Battery is starting to go and I’m wondering if I should swap the battery or just upgrade?

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

Vegetable posted:

I think a lot of it also has to do with the processor, maybe? I replaced my XR battery last year and didn't notice that big of a battery jump at all. I figure 5 years of apps ballooning in size and resources meant that the A12 chip was running at full tilt at all times, and maybe a fully loaded processor was bad for battery life?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

MarcusSA posted:

I would pay $1 extra a month for Apple Music if all of the songs were the same drat volume.

It gets really bad on your radio station

This isn’t really an Apple Music thing, albums were continuously getting produced louder and louder up through the 2010’s. See: “Loudness Wars”. It’s finally starting to die down a little, but this is why some albums, especially from before the mid 90’s seem quiet.