Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Cars FTW

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

i like driving games :) I used to think it was weird that I did but then I realized I also play games where I shoot guns

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

checkmate EV skeptics (some NYT comment on inflation reduction act)

quote:

Actually EVs are more affordable than you think. The average sedan in the US costs $31k, the all electric Chevy Bolt starts at $26,500; VW ID4 at $39,000; Tesla Model 3 at $40,500; Hyundai Ioniq 5 and 6 at $41.6k.

With the $7500 tax credit, that's $19-34k, well within the average sedan starting price. That's a huge benefit of the IRA.

EV energy and maintenance costs are also 30-70% lower than combustion vehicles, depending on where you live (electricity price varies a lot). And that cost is much more stable, as gasoline prices go up and down by 30-50% every couple of years, but electricity is locally-produced and heavily regulated so it might vary by 10% every few years.

Furthermore, EV prices have come down 20-30% in the last year. With all of the new factories under construction thanks to the IRA, there will be more efficiency and cost reduction, and also more competition. By 2026 EVs will be cheaper than combustion vehicles even without subsidies, particularly with US manufactured batteries.

Maed
Aug 23, 2006

actionjackson posted:

I don't think any skeptic's issues with EVs have to do with their price

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

actionjackson posted:

Saving the environment by throwing out my already built, amortized fuel efficient car and buying a completely new EV full of plastics and lithium

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

boy I sure feel silly about spending $1k on an e-bike now

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I don't think I've ever had a car that was less than ten years old, so I guess I can look forward to joining in on the fun in the 2030s.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I don't think I've ever had a car that was less than ten years old, so I guess I can look forward to joining in on the fun in the 2030s.
Just look at how fast the electric car prices are falling, though. At this rate in 10 years you'll be able to pick up a new electric car for $1000

Apr 7, 2003

mystes posted:

Just look at how fast the electric car prices are falling, though. At this rate in 10 years you'll be able to pick up a new electric car for $1000

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

how are all the people who don't have indoor garage parking going to charge these EVs at home again

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

mystes posted:

its called a golf cart

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001
gonna be fun times in a few years when high school students start getting used electric cars that do 0 to 60 in two seconds

Maed
Aug 23, 2006

actionjackson posted:

how are all the people who don't have indoor garage parking going to charge these EVs at home again

same way we're gonna construct a gigantic network of EV chargers on all of our interstates and highways, magical thinking

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Yeah golf carts are basically perfect.

It is funny though how despite the whole adoption scheme being pitched as super far along, you can stop any advocates dead in their tracks by asking what renters and people in townhomes/condos are supposed to do. The only answers are either patently ridiculous or a sweeping overhaul of planning and spending priorities to the detriment of property owners, which is one of the only things that cannot be considered under any circumstance.

Like there's hard "no ICE cars anymore, period" deadlines already on the books now and nobody has even started to consider this.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Epic High Five posted:

Yeah golf carts are basically perfect.

It is funny though how despite the whole adoption scheme being pitched as super far along, you can stop any advocates dead in their tracks by asking what renters and people in townhomes/condos are supposed to do. The only answers are either patently ridiculous or a sweeping overhaul of planning and spending priorities to the detriment of property owners, which is one of the only things that cannot be considered under any circumstance.

where I live townhomes are fine as they have their own garage. but in my condo all the garage spots are owned, so there's no space to charge anything. we might just install one outside (one station that can charge two vehicles), except it's 25k or some poo poo

mystes
May 31, 2006

actionjackson posted:

Building chargers to block sidewalks or just running power cords across them to trip people

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

actionjackson posted:

they’re going to grow up and buy a SFH like a real adult, obviously

Apr 7, 2003

Maybe we could build a comprehensive public transit network with bicycles, small electric vehicles, and e-bikes for last mile capability.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

US policy is all oriented toward SFHs. No one cares what happens to apartment dwellers.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

lobster shirt posted:

beta male detected

The seat doesn't go forward enough for his feet to reach the pedals

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Blackhawk posted:

Re-passed a few cars that passed me on the way to/from work last week. Cars insist on trying to pass me on downhill sections of road with speed bumps or roundabouts, so I've started passing them back when they inevitably have to slow down for a road feature that I can cruise over at full speed, seems like they generally don't try to pass me again after that.

I remember one time a few years ago I was riding along a suburban street on my road bike with about 4 speed bumps along its length. I know that I can always ride the length of this street faster than any car because of the bumps, but one time a dude in a car was insistent that he had to pass me and so spent the entire length of the street driving on the wrong side of the road trying, always getting about level with me at the speed bumps (still on the wrong side of the road) before having to back off to avoid wrecking his suspension. The whole road was only about 200m long and ends in a T-intersection anyway.

some teenage girls tried this on me once and just made their (dad's probably) mercedes scrape like hell on the speed bump and then they gave up trying to pass me

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

not a fan of this thing tbh

looks flammable :thunk:

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

mawarannahr posted:

i like driving games :) I used to think it was weird that I did but then I realized I also play games where I shoot guns

games? that's my dash cam for my commute

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

lobster shirt posted:

its called a golf cart

i do think golf carts are the only way to wean america off car brain.

golf carts can get up to 60 miles of range, more than enough for the vast majority of commutes. you can still customize them, you can still feel "independent" or use it as an excuse to hide from the family you hate. still can use existing overbuilt car infrastructure while real public transit gets built out.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Trabisnikof posted:

i do think golf carts are the only way to wean america off car brain.

golf carts can get up to 60 miles of range, more than enough for the vast majority of commutes. you can still customize them, you can still feel "independent" or use it as an excuse to hide from the family you hate. still can use existing overbuilt car infrastructure while real public transit gets built out.

They aren’t expensive enough to impress people tho

Apr 7, 2003

HashtagGirlboss posted:

Bingo

The guy on TV talking about how it costs $150 to fill his truck isn’t complaining, he’s bragging

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

HashtagGirlboss posted:

impressed me when garry schandling used one

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

HashtagGirlboss posted:

im sure the market will provide, you can already spend $52k on a golf cart

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

and dont worry, someone makes an up-armored golf cart for the cops too:

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

HashtagGirlboss posted:

Idk, people seem to get pretty excited about those off-road utility vehicles that are basically just tactical golf carts, e.g. https://www.homedepot.com/p/Cub-Cad...wE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Apr 7, 2003

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Idk, people seem to get pretty excited about those off-road utility vehicles that are basically just tactical golf carts, e.g. https://www.homedepot.com/p/Cub-Cad...wE&gclsrc=aw.ds

My grandpa bought one of these for around $4K in the mid-nineties. They're over $18K now

https://www.kawasaki.com/en-us/side-x-side/mule

eeenmachine
Feb 2, 2004

BUY MORE CRABS
Hit 17k mi (since keeping track in 2014) moving myself outside a car 🥳

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

eeenmachine posted:

Hit 17k mi (since keeping track in 2014) moving myself outside a car 🥳

that’s cool congrats!

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
China has a large burgeoning industry of upscaled golfcarts for urban and suburban uses. best selling car there in this segment is the wuling mini ev. would be ideal for most americans. ive posted about it before.

https://www.wired.com/story/review-wuling-hongguang-mini-ev/

there are full-featured evs that are smaller and much more suitable for personal conveyance. look at the byd seagull: https://cleantechnica.com/2023/04/30/the-byd-seagull-and-the-promise-of-the-ev-revolution/

190 mile range and a sodium-ion battery.

but thats more tesla-ific.

the miniev segment is very appealing to me. charge them in a few hours over the 120.

if america is to realize its "dream" of electfication we're going to be bringing a lot of freedom overseas for cobalt and such.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
one thing i noted while writing on these little cars is they have a bifurcated heritage with the car. while the car as we know it here in the states evolved for rural use - farm tools really, the miniev and its ilk evolved from the rickshaw. rickshaw -> auto-rickshaw -> miniev. roots from urban spaces, rather than rural. i thought that was interesting.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Smythe posted:

one thing i noted while writing on these little cars is they have a bifurcated heritage with the car. while the car as we know it here in the states evolved for rural use - farm tools really, the miniev and its ilk evolved from the rickshaw. rickshaw -> auto-rickshaw -> miniev. roots from urban spaces, rather than rural. i thought that was interesting.

Oh that's cool.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

mystes posted:

Building chargers to block sidewalks or just running power cords across them to trip people
When I visited Kingston they had charger hookups added onto existing street lamps. I assume they were not fast charging, but it addressed the cord across the sidewalk problem.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
so it appears that someone has either stolen or had a copy made of a gravestone to place in his next door neighbor's backyard because it's going to become a metro route and they will both lose part of their backyards. there are two routes being looked at, one which will be fully open within 10 years, they have half the funding for already, and uses a freight right of way, the other would have to get federal approval for the route, would cost twice as much, and take at least 15 years to construct once federal approval is granted.

there's no records of there ever being any cemeteries in the area, the individual whose name is on the gravestone has contemporary newspaper articles of him being buried 7 miles away and his family says that they have been visiting his gravestone at that cemetery 7 miles away since he was buried 2 days after he died

https://www.latimes.com/california/...extension-plans

quote:

Jay Gould said for years there were graves in the backyards of his neighborhood in Lawndale, part of what his father told him was an old burial ground.

But people doubted it. These supposed graves just happened to be in the right-of-way of a proposed 4.5-mile Metro C Line extension route that Gould was a fierce critic of, and would take away a chunk of his yard. The discovery of human remains would certainly delay the agency’s plans, if not force Metro to reexamine the route.

This week, Gould, 70, asked his neighbors if he could look for tombstones.

“I grabbed a shovel and I started digging,” he said.

One of the first drops of the shovel, at his next-door neighbor’s house to the south, hit stone less than three inches deep. He swept the dirt off and there it was: a flat marker etched with a star of David, above “Earle Hoffman, California, S1 USNR World War II, Oct 25, 1926 to Dec. 14, 1951.”

“I felt relieved. I knew it was there,” he said. “I had to prove it to myself and everyone.”

The finding could throw off planning for the C Line Extension to Torrance. The Los Angeles Metropolitan Transportation Authority hoped to finalize a route by next month and complete it by 2033, but the discovery could force officials to reexamine the routes. The vote to determine the route is now scheduled for next year.

“If it is confirmed the potential burial site is on Metro property, Metro would use on-call archeological and paleontological experts to determine if there are human remains,” Metro spokesperson Patrick Chandler said in an emailed statement. “If human remains are discovered, Metro will follow the California Health and Safety Code provisions and provide updated information on any further investigations that are necessary.”

There are two primary routes the transit agency is looking at. The Metro said the route along Gould’s property is favored by residents, based on comments collected during an environmental analysis. It would cost from $2 billion to $2.8 billion, depending whether a trench was constructed and would run along existing railroad tracks from the now terminus of the Redondo Beach station to Redondo’s Transit Center and ending at the Torrance Transit Center.

The second route runs along the 405 Freeway turning onto Hawthorne Boulevard with a stop at the South Bay Galleria and also ending at the transit center. The train would be elevated and run down the middle of the boulevard.

The discovery comes as Metro is continuing a massive rail extension across the region and, in many cases, meeting with officials and community members angry over proposed routes across the Westside and South Bay.

Metro’s own environmental analysis of the land released found no anticipated finding of human remains associated with cemeteries. Gould said Metro brushed him off when he warned about the graves.

An obituary in the Venice Evening Standard on Dec. 17, 1951, said Hoffman was born in Santa Monica, grew up in Venice and was a “well known youth leader” who was active in the Jewish service organization B’nai B’rith. He had a wife named Shirlee and a 9-month-old son named Ronald. He died at Veterans Hospital and his services were held at Hillside Memorial Park, the Jewish cemetery in Culver City. An application to the government, filed by Shirlee for a flat granite marker, also lists Hillside as his cemetery.

How the marker ended up seven miles away in Lawndale is unclear.

“This is bizarre,” said Cory Cohen, 65, Hoffman’s nephew. “I thought this was an AI scam. In our mind, he has been buried at Hillside since two days after he passed away.”

“I have been visiting his gravesite since I was a little kid,” he said. Hoffman is buried next to his 5-year-old son, who died after a drunk driver hit the car in which he was a passenger. “This is going to be an interesting story that unfolds.”

But it would not be the first time that the Metro failed to anticipate burial grounds. Workers digging an eastern extension of what is now the E Line in 2005 in downtown Los Angeles found the skeletal remains of 108 people. The mass grave of mostly Chinese immigrants was believed to be one of the first cemeteries for the poor.

“I had asked Metro about this last week and they said they didn’t have any records about cemeteries along the route over the last 100 years,” said Lawndale City Manager Sean Moore. “A potential burial ground could be a significant finding.”

Gould, whose family has owned several properties in the area over the decades including the one where the tombstone was found, said it was another reason to choose a different route.

“My dad told me there were 17 graves out there and I always said, ‘yeah, right.’” he said. But he said about 15 years ago, after his brother sold the property on the south side of Gould’s home, a tombstone with the name Hoffman was unearthed when a neighbor was planting his garden.

At the time, they called then Mayor Harold Hofmann to show him.

“He looked over the fence. And he says, ‘Cover it up. We don’t want to deal with this. This is going to be terrible. They’re gonna want to tear up your property,’” Gould said. “I said OK and we covered it up and let it go.”

He later said his wife heard the neighbor breaking up headstones and believed that at least six have been trashed. Hofmann has since died, as has that neighbor.

“We never said a word,” he said. “We didn’t say a word for all this time.”

Then came the proposed route.

It would run along a right-of-way that Metro has along the railroad tracks. Those tracks run along Gould’s backyard and his neighbors’. For years the right-of-way had been leased out by the railroad companies. But that stopped when it was sold to Metro, Gould said.

Lawndale long opposed the project, but recently backed a second alternative route that would run along Hawthorne.

“This is an unsafe option,” said Josh Standifer, who currently owns the property where the marker was found. “People have been fighting against this in silence. ... This is giving people awareness.”

Standifer said he hopes a rail line is eventually built, but along Hawthorne Boulevard.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

My wife drives when I have to be in a car

Passenger princess ftw

Troutful
May 31, 2011

fermun posted:

so it appears that someone has either stolen or had a copy made of a gravestone to place in his next door neighbor's backyard because it's going to become a metro route and they will both lose part of their backyards. there are two routes being looked at, one which will be fully open within 10 years, they have half the funding for already, and uses a freight right of way, the other would have to get federal approval for the route, would cost twice as much, and take at least 15 years to construct once federal approval is granted.

there's no records of there ever being any cemeteries in the area, the individual whose name is on the gravestone has contemporary newspaper articles of him being buried 7 miles away and his family says that they have been visiting his gravestone at that cemetery 7 miles away since he was buried 2 days after he died

https://www.latimes.com/california/...extension-plans

Please post this in the Haunted Clubhouse subforum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

gradenko_2000 posted:

Passenger princess ftw