Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I know plenty of people with degrees who are stuck in unskilled ‘working class’ jobs because they got a degree in something that turned out to be absolutely useless for getting any kind of fancy job, fwiw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DreddyMatt
Nov 25, 2002
MY LACK OF KNOWLEDGE OF CURRENT EVENTS IS EXCEEDED ONLY BY MY UNQUENCHABLE THIRST FOR PISS. FUK U AMERIKKKA!!
Daily mail esque "degrees in David Beckham" stories for the 2000s

E: so then you go back to posts like this

Rugz posted:

The media really have done a sterling job of turning the middle class into the great enemy haven't they?

And wonder who are the media actually arguing against? It becomes like a catch all term, similar to 'woke' for just "someone I disagree with'

DreddyMatt fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Oct 1, 2023

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I think there are different definitions. In the strict Marxist sense there are two classes and you either own the means of production or you don't, and even that is getting blurred as technology and capitalism conspire to find new and inventive ways of wringing productivity and profit out of the system.

The other meaning of class as most people seem to understand it is tied up in aspects of regionalism, education, accent and affect, which is how you can have the middle class daughter of a teacher and senior administrator Jess Phillips talk about being working class because she occasionally remembers to say bab at the end of sentences.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

History Comes Inside! posted:

I know plenty of people with degrees who are stuck in unskilled ‘working class’ jobs because they got a degree in something that turned out to be absolutely useless for getting any kind of fancy job, fwiw

no such thing as unskilled labour

hth

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think the spectrum between being dependent on selling your labour and being dependent on rich people stuff like investments and property is a useful one. One group benefits from things which prop up house prices and "the market", the other group gets fired in order that the people with investments can make money off it.

People can have one foot in each, which is where the utiltiy of "middle class" comes from. I think that's the modern form of rigid marxist prole/booj. And also the problem because the country's full of landlords and pensioners and just general dickheads who seem to do well enough out of capitalism that they don't want to rock the boat.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

You're working class if you have a non-RP accent. Alan Sugar is a working class billionaire. His words are those of the working class. He speaks for the working classes from his private plane.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
Likewise the homeless guy who talks like prince charles I used to know is a member of the bourgeoisie and must be put to the guillotine forthwith

DreddyMatt
Nov 25, 2002
MY LACK OF KNOWLEDGE OF CURRENT EVENTS IS EXCEEDED ONLY BY MY UNQUENCHABLE THIRST FOR PISS. FUK U AMERIKKKA!!
Perhaps an interesting question would be: where do you, goon, see yourself in this nebulous hierarchy, and why?

Me and my partner have a mortgage, and above average salaried jobs. We're both left leaning guardian readers, so I guess that makes us middle class? Although we'd be hosed if either of us lost our job, so maybe we're just working class?

Rate yourselves, goons

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
I always thought of it in purely financial terms. If you cant go more than 3 months with zero income from your labour you're working class. If you can you're Capital.

However when you actually get into the cultural terminology it gets very messy. I know people who think of themselves as working class, earn 100k+ a year as tradeys etc and they are by cultural definitions absolutely correct. I also know people who would call themselves middle class because of their parents/schooling and they're barely surviving on 26k a year. They are also culturally correct.

Basically its a minefield and you'll always be wrong.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

DesperateDan posted:

hth

Lol. I can show you the results of some

Rugz
Apr 15, 2014

PLS SEE AVATAR. P.S. IM A BELL END LOL
Ideas have value. Since that isn't selling labour at all I guess that is an upper-middle class perspective.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
I don’t really think about it to be honest. I’m Sigma class.

In reality I’ve always worked for my money. When I lost my dad I got a bit of a windfall and plowed that into stocks and getting myself off the ground and as a freelancer (and spaffed a lot of it on fun stuff and holidays), but nowhere near enough to no longer need to work.

Culturally I’m much more working class but can code switch to be comfortable wherever really, outside of like the hyper posh types or, god forbid, countryside posh. So yeah I don’t know; it’s not something I think about but whenever it comes up in conversation it’s generally about something political or someone being a snooty oval office about the pub or whatever so I tend to say working class I suppose.

DreddyMatt
Nov 25, 2002

serious gaylord posted:

Basically its a minefield and you'll always be wrong.

New thread title

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Lol. I can show you the results of some

sounds more like poor supervision imo

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

DesperateDan posted:

sounds more like poor supervision imo

It's the bits I've done

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Rugz posted:

Ideas have value. Since that isn't selling labour at all I guess that is an upper-middle class perspective.

Value can be negative. It's entirely possible to belong to one class before posting in the thread, and to belong to an altogether different class after sharing a series of bad takes.

Surprise T Rex
Apr 9, 2008

Dinosaur Gum
I’m university educated, homeowner (via mortgage, not outright), no kids, and I’m paid a solid wage on account of being a computer toucher.

I think most people would describe me as middle class based on that information. We can afford to be a single income household while my wife works to set up her own business, and often don’t have to panic financially even despite the single income.

I personally feel like I’m working class, since we’re a single income household we have a lot less savings than I would find comfortable and we can hardly spend with reckless abandon. If I lost my job and couldn’t get another in a month or two things would certainly get scary.

I think this is because I sort of ignore the cultural aspects of the UK class designation and as my initial explanation implied I sort of see it through the lens of worker/capital instead, when maybe that’s really just a separate categorisation entirely.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

I’m university educated, homeowner (via mortgage, not outright), no kids, and I’m paid a solid wage on account of being a computer toucher.

I think most people would describe me as middle class based on how my mother forced me to learn the cello (N.B. I gave it up as soon as I was allowed), go to the opera, and speak with RP.

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

DreddyMatt posted:

Perhaps an interesting question would be: where do you, goon, see yourself in this nebulous hierarchy, and why?

Rate yourselves, goons

Economically - definitely working class in the Marxist sense. I have approx. three months savings in hand that a number of unplanned expenses in quick succession (car trouble, broken boiler, sudden surge in interest rates) would deplete far quicker than I could hope to replenish. I absolutely have to sell my time and labour to Capital in order to survive. I have zero passive income or economically-working assets to my name. My wages are not keeping pace with inflation and cost of living rises and in relative terms have not moved for a decade.

Financially - I make less than the average wage (low-£20ks/yr). I am a 'homeowner' in the sense that I have a home with a mortgage, which I was only remotely able to afford due to inheritance and that I am only able to keep paying due to my partner now being on that mortgage with me.

Employment - Despite my 'working class' economic status and finances, my actual job is a relatively arty-farty vaguely creative one based around turning knowledge and experience into words and videos. So hardly like putting in a shift in the Fulfilment Centre, roofing houses or waiting tables all day. Post-covid we are now 100% work from home (so that makes me a 'woke middle class millenial' to some) and I'm not working for a glamorous publishing house in London, but churning out 'content' in a small city in the East Midlands.

Culturally - insufferably middle class. Came from a family where both parents were uni-educated white-collar professionals, grew up in a large house with a nice garden in rural Hampshire, skiing holidays in the spring, holidays in Cornwall in the autumn. My childhood passion was sailing, my sister's was horses. Private prep school, private secondary school, Russell-Group university to do an economically useless humanities degree. I talk like a Pathe newsreel announcer from the 1950s. Next weekend I'm going into London to see a Gilbert & Sullivan opera. If I hadn't always found that 'scene' and the people in it absolutely insufferable I could easily have fallen into the Henley Regatta/Glyndebourne/Klosters/Papa's Place In Tuscany/Off To Sandhurst To Join The Family Regiment crowd. Except that as an adult I wouldn't have had the money to keep 'in' with them even if I wanted to.

So I'm definitely one of the "people who would call themselves middle class because of their parents/schooling and they're barely surviving on 26k[sic] a year" that serious gaylord mentioned.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

To claim to be university educated do you have to have finished it?

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

What's the level below working class? Because I'm literally that.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Twitterati

Rugz
Apr 15, 2014

PLS SEE AVATAR. P.S. IM A BELL END LOL

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

Value can be negative. It's entirely possible to belong to one class before posting in the thread, and to belong to an altogether different class after sharing a series of bad takes.

Accepting that ideas can have positive value is an argument for the existence of executives.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

We can also go into the British establishment definition of working class too, where you can be genetically working class because you had a parent or grandparent who worked a traditionally working class job. You yourself might have been born into riches, sent off to private school and graduated from Oxbridge with PPE, but your blood inherently understands the struggles of your working class granddad who toiled away at a factory to set up his now household name business.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Rugz posted:

Accepting that ideas can have positive value is an argument for the existence of executives.

ah yes, the creative class

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

Gorn Myson posted:

We can also go into the British establishment definition of working class too, where you can be genetically working class because you had a parent or grandparent who worked a traditionally working class job. You yourself might have been born into riches, sent off to private school and graduated from Oxbridge with PPE, but your blood inherently understands the struggles of your working class granddad who toiled away at a factory to set up his now household name business.

my father was a toolmaker

DreddyMatt
Nov 25, 2002

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

I think most people would describe me as middle class based on how my mother forced me to learn the cello (N.B. I gave it up as soon as I was allowed), go to the opera, and speak with RP.

You're basically Jacob Rees mogg

E: a classic of the genre

kecske posted:

poo poo is certainly difficult

DreddyMatt fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Oct 1, 2023

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

NotJustANumber99 posted:

It's the bits I've done

You cant argue it hasnt had value to the professional who had to come and fix it.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/keepnhspublic/status/1708443582204461369

NHS workers are terrorists now

DreddyMatt
Nov 25, 2002

3 vans Jeremy? You're insane

DreddyMatt
Nov 25, 2002

Jakabite posted:

Likewise the homeless guy who talks like prince charles I used to know is a member of the bourgeoisie and must be put to the guillotine forthwith

By definition this guy isn't working class

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

kecske posted:

Kieth account spotted.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

I watch things like this and I still can't believe it's not some kind of satire

https://twitter.com/GBNEWS/status/1708507880888963105

I mean, WTF?!?...

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Oct 1, 2023

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

NotJustANumber99 posted:

It's the bits I've done

my point stands like a boutique employee rest area

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

DesperateDan posted:

Guardian columnist? Nobody said the labour had to be especially taxing

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib

Gene Ricman posted:

Lurker here, just trying to unpack this "tax burden is the highest its been in 70 years" meme that tories seem to be bleating on about at the minute. It sounds & smells like bullshit, last time I checked corporation tax is still lower than it was in the early 2000s, basic rate is the lowest its ever been, etc.

But I want to check whether I've got this right - when they say "tax burden" they mean total tax receipts divided by GDP, and the actual reason why this would be at its "highest in 70 years" is because of anaemic GDP (low levels of consumer/government spending & business investment), rather than the tax rates being "too high"?

So are they just saying this as exuse to cut (higher rates of) taxes, in the same way they used "debt/gdp too high" as an excuse to cut spending - i.e. another case of focusing on the numerator rather than the denominator?

This post is from the fossil record of 10 pages back, but as a matrilineal upper-middle middle class person I feel secure in my family's ability to support me sufficiently that I can indulge in archaeology rather than things of immediate practical use.

The "tax burden is at its highest since WW2" is a sloppy journo's summary of this report from the institute for fiscal studies, a thinktank that loves markets.
https://ifs.org.uk/articles/will-be-biggest-tax-raising-parliament-record
It's not even that long and the stuff it contains adds a hell of a lot of caveats to the title. which are:

1) The tax burden is historically high, but a big wedge of that is corporation tax going up (which you only feel if you are a corporation), the energy profits levy (which is overwhelmingly popular) and people creeping into higher tax brackets (salaries have been raised to keep up with inflation, but the tax brackets haven't been revised up at the same time).
2) The tax burden is not high compared with similar developed countries.
3) Unlike other similar countries which did increase tax between '08 and '19, the UK was doing George Osborne's austerity to stimulate growth and reduce the deficit. This was broadly unsuccessful in its stated aims, and has meant UKPLC asset-stripped its own future by not spending any money fixing anything for a decade. Something we are now having to spend much more money to rectify.
4) Tax burden is measured in this report as a percentage of GDP, so had austerity been successful and the economy had grown the burden would have been less.

The tone of the report is so far off what the title indicates I think that it's not beyond the realms of possibility that the authors chose a guaranteed headline grabber and it's confounded their plans because nobody read further than that headline.

Crystal Thenis
Mar 23, 2023

by sebmojo

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Yeah I see that now. Maybe it's an Oxfordshire thing but there are an absolute ton of cunts round here who talk about London the same way people like Farage talk about the made up Birmingham 'no-go zones,' while also boasting about how much they make working there. I sort of assumed people would be more familiar with that kind of weirdo but maybe they're not as universal as I thought.

Thanks for clarifying anyway.

there are definitely parts of Birmingham that white people should not be walking through at night

silly Middle Englander

Crystal Thenis
Mar 23, 2023

by sebmojo

Jakabite posted:

I don’t really think about it to be honest. I’m Sigma class.

In reality I’ve always worked for my money. When I lost my dad I got a bit of a windfall and plowed that into stocks and getting myself off the ground and as a freelancer (and spaffed a lot of it on fun stuff and holidays), but nowhere near enough to no longer need to work.

Culturally I’m much more working class but can code switch to be comfortable wherever really, outside of like the hyper posh types or, god forbid, countryside posh. So yeah I don’t know; it’s not something I think about but whenever it comes up in conversation it’s generally about something political or someone being a snooty oval office about the pub or whatever so I tend to say working class I suppose.

ploughed money from a windfall into stocks and shares, calls himself working class

you silly sods live on another planet in here

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Crystal Penis more like

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

I wonder if they have any sense of regret or self awareness once the alcohol and probable cocaine wears off?