Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Heran Bago posted:

I tried multiple Steam Deck setup guides and couldn't get it working.

Really want to try the full voice acting mod someday. poo poo is hilarious.

drat I might take a crack at it but doesn't sound promising then

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sailormoon
Jun 28, 2014

fighting evil by moonlight
winning love by daylight

Anyone running SteamOS 3.5 for the better performance? How is it?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

beep-beep car is go posted:

Has anyone tried CP2077 Phantom Liberty on the Deck? I played through 1.5 all the way on my Deck and got a decent 30-40 FPS the whole time, but some folks said online that PL is a lot more detailed and action-packed so I wasn't sure if it was going to cause a noticeable performance hit.

Deckverse dude says his golden 40 setup is still the way to go but to adjust fps to 30 @ 60hz for PL as it is a little more intense, yeah.

Here are the settings. It’s what I’ve used for a good while now and they’re good:

quote:

GRAPHICS

• ⁠Texture Quality: Medium
• ⁠Dynamic Resolution Scaling: Off
• ⁠FidelityFX Super Resolution 2.1: Quality
• ⁠FidelityFX Sharpening: 0 - 50
• ⁠Field of View: 75
• ⁠Film Grain: Off
• ⁠Chromatic Aberration: Off
• ⁠Depth of Field: On
• ⁠Lens Flare: On
• ⁠Motion Blur: Off
• ⁠Contact Shadows: On
• ⁠Improved Facial Lightning Geometry: On
• ⁠Anisotropy: 8
• ⁠Local Shadow Mesh Quality: Medium
• ⁠Local Shadow Quality: Medium
• ⁠Cascaded Shadows Range: Low
• ⁠Cascaded Shadows Resolution: Low
• ⁠Distant Shadows Resolution: Low
• ⁠Volumetric Fog Resolution: Medium
• ⁠Volumetric Cloud Quality: Off
• ⁠Max Dynamic Decals: Medium
• ⁠Screen Space Reflections Quality: Medium
• ⁠Subsurface Scattering Quality: Medium
• ⁠Ambient Occlusion: Low
• ⁠Color Precision: Medium
• ⁠Mirror Quality: Low
• ⁠Level of Detail (LOD): Medium

VIDEO

• ⁠VSync: 60
• ⁠Maximum FPS: Off
• ⁠Windows Mode: Fullscreen
• ⁠Resolution: 1280x800

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

other people posted:

Sorry I should have said, a 1TB nvme is supposed to arrive Monday so I can have fun hopefully not breaking it and reinstalling everything.

If you've got an SSD enclosure it's pretty simple (a few command line commands, though I'm real comfortable in that environment) to mirror your current Steam Deck's internal drive onto the external one such that when you put it in internally it acts exactly like it did before, only with much more space.

'twas nice to not have to reinstall BG3 a 4th time while I was diagnosing hardware issues.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Just in case anyone runs into this issue, the latest update of Duckstation hosed up my controller bindings, I had to go back into Desktop mode, open Duckstation and auto bind Controller 1 mappings to the SDL virtual joypad again. It wouldn’t work in Game mode when playing a PS1 game.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Thanks for the advice! Turns out it's super simple to install Decky/Cryo and they're all running perfectly now!

I spent half an hour researching the BEST RE4 settings instead of actually playing it. It's a curse

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Deckverse dude says his golden 40 setup is still the way to go but to adjust fps to 30 @ 60hz for PL as it is a little more intense, yeah.

Here are the settings. It’s what I’ve used for a good while now and they’re good:

This seems unnecessarily conservative from purely eyeballing it, which means I could be talking rubbish. I had most of those much higher pre-Moonlight streaming and still got 35-40 fps which is way fine if you're targeting 30 . There's stuff being given up in there that doesn't have much of a performance impact but does impact visual quality.

The BenchmarKing video for pre-2.0 or the recent Hardware Unboxed one are more reasonable. The HUB settings pretty much mirror the older suggestions, except for being more and, imo unnecessarily, conservative on RT (this is the showcase game for RT and imo the goal should be to tweak settings to enable as much RT as you can, not try for high fps at all cost - but imo).

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

v1ld posted:

MoonDeck has a Decky Loader plugin where I set a custom resolution - in the Deck's ... menu for the MoonDeck plugin - of 1280x720@60hz and it Just Works(tm) (720p since 16:9 is wider than 1610, unintuitive though that is). It swaps my laptop's main display over to that res when I launch a game. It seems to leave in that resolution, but I don't care since for work usage that laptop is plugged into the ultrawide monitor. But I would think if you reset it to native, it would switch it over on each use.

I followed this blog to install all of Moonlight/Sunshine/MoonDeck/MoonDeckBuddy and didn't let myself get distracted by learning the details of how it all works together, since I wanted to play CP 2077 and it all Just Works(tm). https://obsidian.evanmingliu.com/Projects/Gaming/Steamdeck/Sunshine-moonlight-and-MoondeckBuddy/Sunshine-Moonlight-and-Moondeck-Buddy

I've set this up in moondeck buddy but I still had black bars top and bottom so I don't think it works quite right for me. I thought sunshine had a similar setting where you could set the resolution before and reset it after automatically though. I'm also wondering if it can set it to a 16:10 that my monitor doesn't actually support (2560x1600 I think). Would be nice but maybe I'll just have to set it to 800p.

Gophermaster
Mar 5, 2005

Bring the Ruckas

Alan_Shore posted:

Thanks for the advice! Turns out it's super simple to install Decky/Cryo and they're all running perfectly now!

I spent half an hour researching the BEST RE4 settings instead of actually playing it. It's a curse

RE4 worked fine out of the box for me.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Gophermaster posted:

RE4 worked fine out of the box for me.

What's your fps? Mine fluctuates between 30-60. Looks pretty good though! Wish I could lock it to 40 for a smoother experience but you get used to it

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
So, I remember reading that there was some bug where you couldn't adjust the GPU frequency?

I didn't really pay attention to it because I wasn't experiencing it, but all of a sudden I am - I added a GBC game and wanted to set the TDP and GPU to the lowest settings since they aren't needed, but the GPU is pegged at 1600. I adjust it down, and as soon as I move the selector off the bar, it pops back to max. Also, when I hit the GPU adjust toggle, to "turn it off and on again", the adjustment bar doesn't disappear :saddowns:

What should I do?

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

I’ve heard about The Saboteur for years but never played it, then saw that it’s on sale on gog. It took a little tinkering but I’ve now got it running through the heroic launcher. So far frame rates have been steady and the only issue is some random graphical glitches on shadows and carpets, but that’s not making it any less fun plowing through and murdering nazis.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Annath posted:

So, I remember reading that there was some bug where you couldn't adjust the GPU frequency?

I didn't really pay attention to it because I wasn't experiencing it, but all of a sudden I am - I added a GBC game and wanted to set the TDP and GPU to the lowest settings since they aren't needed, but the GPU is pegged at 1600. I adjust it down, and as soon as I move the selector off the bar, it pops back to max. Also, when I hit the GPU adjust toggle, to "turn it off and on again", the adjustment bar doesn't disappear :saddowns:

What should I do?

That stopped for me on the latest update

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

Using RetroArch (installed via EmuDeck) and I keep getting a "could not communicate with https://retroachievements.org/" error in both gaming and desktop modes.

I've tried updating everything and resetting RetroArch's configs through EmuDeck. Standalone emulators and even RetroArch on my other devices work fine.

Anyone else having this issue, or maybe have dealt with it in the past?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Man I stopped at Best Buy today and they had *5* open box Rogue Allies. Must be super great if they get them returned like that.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Annath posted:

What should I do?

A Gameboy Color game? Set everything to default / automatic. Set refresh rate and FPS limit to 60.

Emulators are very timing-dependant and expect full power at 60.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Heran Bago posted:

A Gameboy Color game? Set everything to default / automatic. Set refresh rate and FPS limit to 60.

Emulators are very timing-dependant and expect full power at 60.

Huh, I always keep the FPS unlocked, because changing that fucks a lot of stuff up, but I've never had an issue with turning down the power.

Granted I don't turn it down to the bottom on every game, or even most, but I almost always turn it down and I've never had an issue.

Pretty much every game I play, both Steam and non-steam, gets it's own power profile to maximize battery life. That's the Deck's biggest weakness.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Medullah posted:

Man I stopped at Best Buy today and they had *5* open box Rogue Allies. Must be super great if they get them returned like that.

It actually is super great :shrug:

I use mine on the regular.

Gophermaster
Mar 5, 2005

Bring the Ruckas

Alan_Shore posted:

What's your fps? Mine fluctuates between 30-60. Looks pretty good though! Wish I could lock it to 40 for a smoother experience but you get used to it

I lock the FPS to 40 and it stays there most of the time. Use the steam deck settings to lock the refresh rate.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

For Bluetooth the Deck now priorities negotiating AptX LL (Low Latency) if the codec is available which is nice for a gaming device.

Wasn't the case at launch where I had to edit the BT configs to force LL with this same BT DAC.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Deck has now wiped two of my cloud saves

Think I'll uh, not use it for a bit till I figure out what the gently caress

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

I know no-one outside Valve really knows, but is there a gut feeling on how far out we are from 3.5 being the main/stable release?

I'm thinking of picking up Cyberpunk; it sounds like the combination of the 2.0 update and SteamOS 3.5 make it a better overall experience on the Deck. But being a toddler-dad my playtime is very limited, so I'm happier to just hold off until it's in stable rather than futz around with the preview releases. Mainly just wondering if I should pick it up while it's on Ł30 sale today, or whether we're talking another 3 months for 3.5 stable and it's likely to be on sale again before then..

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Medullah posted:

My local fb marketplace is pretty loaded with them too. There is one especially funny person with theirs listed at msrp (for a used ally) calling it the steam deck killer, as some sort of sales pitch.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Beve Stuscemi posted:

My local fb marketplace is pretty loaded with them too. There is one especially funny person with theirs listed at msrp (for a used ally) calling it the steam deck killer, as some sort of sales pitch.

I test drove one at a store here and it was very uncontrollable to hold and play. Battery also drained fast. Screen looked nice, but the Deck was better in just about every other way.

Gophermaster
Mar 5, 2005

Bring the Ruckas

Froist posted:

I know no-one outside Valve really knows, but is there a gut feeling on how far out we are from 3.5 being the main/stable release?

I'm thinking of picking up Cyberpunk; it sounds like the combination of the 2.0 update and SteamOS 3.5 make it a better overall experience on the Deck. But being a toddler-dad my playtime is very limited, so I'm happier to just hold off until it's in stable rather than futz around with the preview releases. Mainly just wondering if I should pick it up while it's on £30 sale today, or whether we're talking another 3 months for 3.5 stable and it's likely to be on sale again before then..

For what it's worth, I've been using 3.5 for a month and it's been mostly stable. I've had a couple issues with the suspend feature needing a hard reset.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

The only issue I've seen in max volume dropping, which you can fix by going to Desktop mode and re-enabling the 150% volume option. Though I had to reboot to fix it one of the two times it's happened with 3.5.

Otherwise very stable. I'm playing CP 2077 too but streaming from my PC now though I started with direct on Deck.

I wouldn't wait to play it, it's stable enough right now.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Is the colour meter thingy coming in 3.5? I was about to uninstall vibrantdeck, since isn't that supposed to take over its duties anyway (?) but I couldn't find the options for it.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

That's a 3.5 addition yeah.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Can anyone running the latest Stable build check Cultic for me please? After the latest update, the game will load but there's nothing displaying except the Hud. I can hear the game running in the background but it's like it's not rendering anything 3D.
I've tried reinstalling, clearing Proton Cache, clearing cloud saves etc but it's still not working.
Thanks!

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Anyone know how to change the car radios in Cyberpunk on the Dreck?

Feel like I've pressed all the buttons at this point, to no avail.

As it stands I just steal different vehicles until one's playing something I like. Then leave it behind when I get to my destination.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
Finally tried out gyro aiming and I see the light. It’s so good

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Hammer Bro. posted:

As it stands I just steal different vehicles until one's playing something I like. Then leave it behind when I get to my destination.

The default controller button would be holding down the right bumper until a menu pops up but I dunno if it’s different on the ‘alternate’ schemes they added

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Hammer Bro. posted:

Long press R1/RB on the controller I think.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I brought over my Steam Deck to a friend's house the other day and docked it to play some MK1 and SF6. MK1 went over perfectly. But for some reason, SF6 wasn't recognizing any inputs. It wouldn't recognize my arcade stick, my controller, or even the buttons on the Deck itself. I could access the Steam Deck menus no problem, and even going into the controller settings, see the controllers being there, but the game itself didn't respond. Anyone else have this issue?

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Beve Stuscemi posted:

I know someone who bought a bunch absolutely convinced they were going to sell out like the SD and that he'd be able to double his money scalping them. Don't know how that went, but I can guess since I haven't heard anything about it since.

I wonder if he's uniquely stupid or if a bunch of people did the same thing.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Paradoxish posted:

I know someone who bought a bunch absolutely convinced they were going to sell out like the SD and that he'd be able to double his money scalping them. Don't know how that went, but I can guess since I haven't heard anything about it since.

I wonder if he's uniquely stupid or if a bunch of people did the same thing.

Scalpers are dumb as gently caress. There were a lot of PS5s that glutted local markets priced over retail long after Sony caught up with demand.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

I'm getting a persistent and incredibly annoying issue where the steam loading logo does not disappear after starting a game

thing is, the game IS started, if I push either steam button it's visible running fine in the background, but as soon as I leave the menu the loading screen pops up again

only fix is rebooting - anyone know how to fix this?

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

victrix posted:

I'm getting a persistent and incredibly annoying issue where the steam loading logo does not disappear after starting a game

thing is, the game IS started, if I push either steam button it's visible running fine in the background, but as soon as I leave the menu the loading screen pops up again

only fix is rebooting - anyone know how to fix this?

I've seen this too and rebooting is the answer.

sailormoon
Jun 28, 2014

fighting evil by moonlight
winning love by daylight

what are the best Pokémon romhacks to load on this puppy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

sailormoon posted:

what are the best Pokémon romhacks to load on this puppy

I like:

Pokémon Prism

Pokémon Sacred Gold

Pokémon Theta Emerald Renev