Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chestnut santabag
Jul 3, 2006

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Yeha plus I think the first 4-month-season is called Heresy, which IIRC was a word that Xivu yells over and over and over in ghosts of the deep. Maybe that's a good time for some Xivu Killin'

In any case I REALLY don't think we're going to see any in-game xivu arath combat this year. We probably just get to fight that bigass Knight from week 3 that teleported away at low health and then hear Eris defeat her with facts and logic on comms

It's the third episode - first episode is Echoes and looks to be Vex related (maybe Black Garden?) and second is Revenant which appears to be Fikrul related.
the Heresy imagery also has a bunch of hive swords sooooo.

None of the dungeons have resolved any major plot beats, either they've built on them or acted as bridges.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Also I didn't realize we had promo pics for the 3 Episodes already. Heresy is literally a hive sword so I guess my official prediction is Xivu Gets Dead-Dead in Year 7 Episode 3

You know it, baby!

Dungeons can probably have more plot beats once they're an actual part of the Episode, compared to separate products from seasons like they are now. They probably don't want the bad optics of charging an additional $20 to resolve the plot line

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Episode 3 will be us vs xivu over who gets to wear the witness's rear end as a hat in the next destiny. The next destiny game will be about maxxing your leg press while the ghost of calus takes up his pen and instead of writing fanfic goes straight into commission drawing, but all the requests are from him too lol.

Blog Free or Die
Apr 30, 2005

FOR THE MOTHERLAND
Bring back Zero Hour :argh:

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006
Has anyone found a reliable master Avarokk one-phase this season? Ideally one that allows for some class flexibility.

life_source
May 11, 2008

i got tired of looking at your edgy baby avatar that a 14-year old would be proud of
https://www.bungie.net/7/en/News/article/9-28-23-twid

TWID

Checkmate updates

Gunsmith weapon focusing for world drops

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
I don't know how CHeckmate works but it is wild to me that these are four different balancing actions?

Increased damage penalty on:

Reduced damage penalty on:

Increased bonus damage on:

Reduced bonus damage on:

sunday at work
Apr 6, 2011

"Man is the animal that thinks something is wrong."
Echoes episode speculation. That could be a Psion, not a Vex, in the teaser art and the red color represents the third Darkness subclass. The third Darkness subclass is psionic based: Darkness = consciousness made manifest = Psionic powers.

Any overall resolution of the Vex is pushed to later content or left at "the time robots wanted their own Veil but couldn't make it work" likely because they don't have "minds" in the same sense as the other species, existing as they do as a universal self-sustaining pattern not individual mental states as other species have.

Aqua Dracula
Nov 2, 2012

sunday at work posted:

Echoes episode speculation. That could be a Psion, not a Vex, in the teaser art and the red color represents the third Darkness subclass. The third Darkness subclass is psionic based: Darkness = consciousness made manifest = Psionic powers.

The red theming of this episode does seem very close to the "leaked" third darkness subclass colors, and there really is no other analogue to this color in the game thematically other than SIVA, which short of a new subclass is probably their second biggest hook to get people to buy into the new episodic model after TFS. But I am guessing the new subclass is in this episode in order to sell it better.

Also given Bungie's insistence on a new subclass not making sense during TFS since we are in the traveler and imbued with light, a new subclass not based on light or dark makes even more sense if we have concluded the "light and darkness saga" by making the traveler and witness kiss or whatever.

Truly wild speculation: we lose all current subclasses after TFS and ONLY have the red subclass in echoes.

Aqua Dracula fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Sep 29, 2023

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
The echoes image definitely looks more like Psion & Disciple Collars to me than Vex stuff

I don't doubt the Vex will be involved in one way or another, but just going off the Pic it makes me think of the Rhulk and nezarec dollars +Psion ornamentation

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

Aqua Dracula posted:

Truly wild speculation: we lose all current subclasses after TFS and ONLY have the red subclass in echoes.

That would be hilarious and I would personally love it, but it would also completely gently caress up 90% of the game's existing content.

Then again, I'm one of those weirdos who loves those segments in games where, well into the storyline, they temporarily take away all your stuff and you have to improvise with whatever you're able to scrounge up instead of relying on your giant arsenal and 300 gallons of healing potions.

At most they could do a campaign mission where you're forced into red mode.

Kennedy
Aug 1, 2006

hard to breathe?

ponzicar posted:

At most they could do a campaign mission where you're forced into red mode.

No 80s montage this time though, please.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
I forget, does the Vanguard have Rhulks corpse?

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

Mesadoram posted:

I don’t think so. Dude became a tree at the end of the raid.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Still love the implication that your guardian picked up the crown of sorrow, carried it back to the tower, and handed it to the raid sweeperbot. Despite that when you actually see the crown it’s the size of an SUV

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

PERMACAV 50 posted:

I don’t think so. Dude became a tree at the end of the raid.

I feel like not packing him up and putting him in a very small and heavily locked container is a very Very bad idea.

But I suppose some people will be surprised when he sprouts back into his normal form :smith:.

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore

Mesadoram posted:

All the disciples turn into that tree thing, I assume they just leave them?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Even the Vanguard doesn't want to mess with Tree Law

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
Stupid trees :argh:

Dead Like Rev
Sep 6, 2010

"The dead walk among us."

haveblue posted:

Even the Vanguard doesn't want to mess with Tree Law

Tree law!? TREEEEEEEEEEEEEE LAAAAAAAAAAAW!

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Hackan Slash posted:

All the disciples turn into that tree thing, I assume they just leave them?

I feel like it’s been implied that eventually grows back into the guy again, it just takes millennia or something?? but I don’t think we know that for a fact, it’s just been hinted as possible

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

It's another Guardian's problem

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Dead Like Rev posted:

Tree law!? TREEEEEEEEEEEEEE LAAAAAAAAAAAW!

I once took a tree case on contingency and effectively got $1000/hr for my work on it.

Has the stability situation improved yet?

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

haveblue posted:

Still love the implication that your guardian picked up the crown of sorrow, carried it back to the tower, and handed it to the raid sweeperbot. Despite that when you actually see the crown it’s the size of an SUV

We turned it into an engram, ez pz.

Dead Like Rev
Sep 6, 2010

"The dead walk among us."

Paracelsus posted:

I once took a tree case on contingency and effectively got $1000/hr for my work on it.

Living the dream I see.

chestnut santabag
Jul 3, 2006

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

The echoes image definitely looks more like Psion & Disciple Collars to me than Vex stuff

I don't doubt the Vex will be involved in one way or another, but just going off the Pic it makes me think of the Rhulk and nezarec dollars +Psion ornamentation

Ooooh yeah, that could very well be - there's still the matter of Yirix outstanding and the colour scheme and "Echoes" is very reminiscent of the Calus stuff from last year.
The headdress looks very familiar to the Vex Goblins' and red typically is their colour and its been a while since they've featured prominently so they're due some centre stage but the dark helmet thing in the middle is unlike any of their heads so a psion would make more sense.

Fanged Lawn Wormy
Jan 4, 2008

SQUEAK! SQUEAK! SQUEAK!
The return of Eramis always made me lol because like, we just...left her there on the top of a tower. Didn't bother to guard it or even put a box around her or anything.

I feel like a couple of times enemies have come back and the vanguard is like *~*somehow they have come back, that should be impossible *~* and I'm just like, guys, we are all back from the dead constantly. the hive gods love doin' that. let's try and figure out how and why, but lets not pretend that this is unusual or even improbable in this world.

of course somebody more lore-infromed could tell me i'm an idiot for whatever reason but I remember that take occuring to me with Eramis or somebody else.

Also, Calus is dead and also turned into at tree-branchy-pile-thing, as someone else mentioned. Did we do something with that? Is it still around? It doesn't' appear as a setpiece when you go listen to Osiris & Nimbus's spooky podcast. But maybe thats just them not putting certain plot elements into game world?

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Fanged Lawn Wormy posted:

The return of Eramis always made me lol because like, we just...left her there on the top of a tower. Didn't bother to guard it or even put a box around her or anything.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

I feel like a couple of times enemies have come back and the vanguard is like *~*somehow they have come back, that should be impossible *~* and I'm just like, guys, we are all back from the dead constantly. the hive gods love doin' that. let's try and figure out how and why, but lets not pretend that this is unusual or even improbable in this world.

of course somebody more lore-infromed could tell me i'm an idiot for whatever reason but I remember that take occuring to me with Eramis or somebody else.

i actually have an answer to that:

Kith posted:

big difference between "assumed it wouldn't be a problem" and "we literally could not do anything about it"

ppl go "but why didn't we just shoot her while her frozen???" but conveniently ignore that there was nothing stopping you from doing that - and if you tried, you'd get nowhere! so the answer is "you could, and nothing would happen".

also the vanguard wasn't supposed to be on europa! at all! zavala said repeatedly that y'all needed to stop loving around on there, and if you went, it would be without vanguard support! nobody could call blue dad and be like "hey can you pick up this popsicle for us", so we left her there because we had no other option

Kith posted:

reminder that eramis was deep inside riis-reborn, one of the largest concentrations of hostile fallen, an area absolutely bristling with defenses and zealous troops ready to kill any machine-spawn who happened to show up. sure, one-to-three idiots managed to push through, but anything more sizable than that (like, say, a vanguard ship carrying the necessary equipment/personnel to chisel the cold lady off of the floor) is going to encourage the application of larger and/or more esoteric defenses (like raid mechanics). we also had no idea if eramis was still alive - she was frozen far more thoroughly than a guardian ever has been, and game mechanics reflected that absolutely nothing happened when you tried to destroy her.

it's also important to point out that house salvation was largely minding its own loving business on europa: we showed up to address variks' distress call as an individual action (aka not something ordered by the vanguard) and ran into eramis, and stuck around on our own because there were things to do there. this is opposed to the lucent hive, who were kidnapping and slaughtering guardians and stealing their light, and the vanguard ordered us into the throne world to fight a war of survival so we could continue protecting the last city.

the guardian gets a pass on going off and doing shenanigans because A) they're the player character and B) they're not always acting under vanguard jurisdiction, but the larger narrative of what's vanguard-sanctioned and what isn't makes complete sense if you take a moment to think about the political contexts of everything going on.

the moral of the story is that military adventurism is bad, actually, and i'm pretty loving happy that bungie recognizes that and doesn't write the vanguard doing whatever the gently caress they want all the time because they're "the good guys"

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Oh, the network slogan is true -- "watch FOX and be damned for all eternity!"

"To all Guardians: Europa is officially off-limits for the foreseeable future. At this time, the Vanguard cannot provide the necessary support for exploratory missions. Some have already learned this... the hard way. So, I repeat: Europa is off-limits. We're stretched too far thin to lose even a single Guardian."

Zavala was very prickly during the Beyond Light campaign about any activity on Europa being unsanctioned, to the point that the "Europa is a restricted zone" quote was briefly a r/dtg meme

Fanged Lawn Wormy
Jan 4, 2008

SQUEAK! SQUEAK! SQUEAK!
Fair points all around.

There’s a line of dialog Ikroa drops every once in awhile when you’re visiting her at the tower. A very icy, “Hey bud the vanguard is not thrilled with your extracurricular behavior. Where does your loyalty lie?” (Very paraphrased obviously).

That line struck me, Because it is easy to think of the vanguard as the end-all authority, even when you have drifter or Elsie or others showing they have their own agendas. I don’t think a lot about what guardians are up to outside of the obvious player activities. Are their guardians not doing hero poo poo, just ignoring the traveler? Are there still warlord types? I wasn’t really playing when the season with Lakshmi / factions were ended so it’s a bit of a dark spot in my lore knowledge. I’ve followed up some given lightfall, but not on everything.

Also - that’s one thing I think is cool about destiny - that dying and respawning is not just a game mechanic, but is a literal in-world thing.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

Also - that’s one thing I think is cool about destiny - that dying and respawning is not just a game mechanic, but is a literal in-world thing.

the thanatonaut warlock faction kill themselves on purpose in order to have visions or something before being revived by their ghost

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Fair points all around.

There’s a line of dialog Ikroa drops every once in awhile when you’re visiting her at the tower. A very icy, “Hey bud the vanguard is not thrilled with your extracurricular behavior. Where does your loyalty lie?” (Very paraphrased obviously).

That line struck me, Because it is easy to think of the vanguard as the end-all authority, even when you have drifter or Elsie or others showing they have their own agendas. I don’t think a lot about what guardians are up to outside of the obvious player activities. Are their guardians not doing hero poo poo, just ignoring the traveler? Are there still warlord types? I wasn’t really playing when the season with Lakshmi / factions were ended so it’s a bit of a dark spot in my lore knowledge. I’ve followed up some given lightfall, but not on everything.

I thought that line was a holdover from Season of the Snitch* and after they removed a bunch of lines and streamlined down that just stuck around as a default

*if you suck at Destiny 2

ptroll
Sep 8, 2011

Most of the gamey stuff players do is canon in one way or another, it's great:

bungie posted:

Savin the Guardian showed a tremendous fondness for doing things; he had a pathologically task-oriented nature, which made him very useful to the Reef. Yet there was always the sense that his Ghost was watching, observing, reporting. And Savin was most of all greedy—not in the grasping manner of the petty, but in an enormous, all-consuming way, for he desired materials and experiences that would temper him into a better Guardian, and he was always experimenting with his strange powers in foolish ways that left him briefly dead, seeking "a new Super ability" or "some way to make my grenades faster." He grew tired of performing trivial tasks about the Reef, complaining that the dangerous repairs he made were endless and boring, and that he wanted to move on to new worlds. He leapt into space, repeatedly and without reason, as if his death were no more traumatic than a hop off a curb. Obsessed with reward and efficiency, he would rather do one profitable thing a thousand times than waste his efforts on a less beneficial novelty.

There's another one I can't find right now that's a Cabal post combat report where after murking the Cabal commander the guardians just dance at each other and do sparrow tricks before transmatting out.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

quote:

What Do Guardians Do When They're Not Saving the Solar System?
by Ember Hadad, Senior Editor at the City Herald

When I started my research for this piece, I expected to find that Guardians, when not waging war against alien invaders with mysterious paracausal powers, were not too different from their fellow citizens of the Last City.

Readers, I was wrong.

Guardians dance a lot more than we do.

"That's pretty much all they do, when I see them," says Park Soo-Yin, a maintenance worker in the Guardian headquarters. "Just dance. Sometimes in groups, sometimes all alone."

"Sometimes they kind of dance 'at' each other, if you know what I mean," Vanguard technician Kweku Aglah confirms. "I feel like I'm watching the nature channel."

sunday at work
Apr 6, 2011

"Man is the animal that thinks something is wrong."

ptroll posted:

There's another one I can't find right now that's a Cabal post combat report where after murking the Cabal commander the guardians just dance at each other and do sparrow tricks before transmatting out.

https://www.ishtar-collective.net/cards/ghost-fragment-cabal-4

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

There's also a lore page from around when Forsaken came out with an Awoken coming by to beseech Guardians for aid at the Dreaming City, only to be ignored for a purple ball until she said the magic words "I have treasure", and that one earlier about Titans being mad that Warlocks have a super that's just the Ward of Dawn But Better now (also the one Titan lost to a warlock punch in the Crucible and was very Not Mad about it)

Crimson's lore tab is explicitly the player character keeping it around for the next time some dumb bullshit like the Red War happens over your Dinklebot's protests too, recognizing that it can heal you independently of your space magic.

Also the whole thanatonauts thing that gets referenced is just Guardians shooting each other in the head repeatedly because they are pretty sure they're seeing things when they respawn. Savathun rolls her eyes about it and apparently Ikora was a big proponent of it. Prophecy's Titan armor gear references the player character in a world of darkness and nothing they cannot feel and ends every lore tab with "YOUR LIGHT FADES AWAY".

Bungie does it a TON in Destiny lol

Fanged Lawn Wormy
Jan 4, 2008

SQUEAK! SQUEAK! SQUEAK!
I think someone earlier in the thread posted some stuff about the ahamkara lore and their desire to be real - that they know they are in a game. Lived that too.

I remember I played the Marathon games when I learned about them in early college after I had played halo in high school. The Ahamkara stuff reminds me a lot of Marathon 3, but I couldn’t really tell you why specifically because 90% of that game went over my head. I should play it again.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
On the subject of the Vanguard, I don't remember if this was Forsaken or Beyond Light, but I remember in one of the campaigns, you did something that Zavala really didn't approve of and he reiterated that you by doing the stuff you'd done in the campaign, you had kinda violated his trust and needed to earn it back. And that was something that was pushed the entire year, because when you did Zavala's weekly powerful rewards and you talked to him, the flavor text was talking about how you were both working to get back to normal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

I believe that was Warmind.