Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007

Hughlander posted:

You can 'trick' it, I have this linked to investigate with backblaze for instance https://www.reddit.com/r/DataHoarder/comments/bwm1j6/backblaze_with_nas_step_by_step_guide

Thanks. There's a post linked to that post that claims to accomplish the same thing with a symlink/junction combo, which seems even simpler.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Backblaze also does corporate services for folks with way, way more data than your paltry 120tb.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Taima posted:

Does Backblaze really back up everything?

I don't even understand the business model, it seems far too good to be true.

The other problem is that I no longer have gigabit fiber, I moved to Seattle and the best I can get in the suburbs is gigabit cable which has a paltry upload speed. Uploading 120TB to backblaze would take approximately 229 years even if I could do it, but if Backblaze will really back up my entire library for like 7 dollars a month or whatever I guess I'll do it.

Still don't understand the business model tho.

If you want to :homebrew: they will send you harddrives you can dump your stuff on to, then send back to them to get an initial image of all your stuff up there. But yeah, I only have a few TB and it took months to get done the first time.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
That's actually pretty awesome; I think the real crux here though is that at some point, it makes sense to just double up and bulk buy 120TB of hard drives and either RAID or even just put the files in a box somewhere, right?

It's not just the cost of the services but also the amortized cost of upkeep over X years. The current market price for hard drives is about, what, ~$10 a TB? So a full backup would be pretty expensive, maybe a grand to furnish 100TB.

But really at the end of the day, at least imo, movies, which constitute about 90% of my library since they are all 4k remux, can usually be re-acquired infinitely more easily than shows, especially niche or older ones (minus the linux ISOs that get taken down by some kind of dedicated usenet team, and I think we all know who those players are, so it's easy enough to back up just those).

I think at the end of the day, if I backed up only my favorite and/or hard to find linux ISO, I think 2x18-20 TB drives could likely do the job, and like i said, movies (of people installing linux) tend to stick around a lot longer.

The more we talk the more I think that's probably the call. I'm getting really tired of my job though, so idk if I feel like doing it right this second, but it totally makes sense.

Whatever happened to the future we were sold of high capacity solid state making this all a borderline moot point? Does anyone know how close we are to any kind of big innovation in the storage space?

Taima fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Oct 1, 2023

Tea Bone
Feb 18, 2011

I'm going for gasps.

Taima posted:

Whatever happened to the future we were sold of high capacity solid state making this all a borderline moot point? Does anyone know how close we are to any kind of big innovation in the storage space?

If I were the conspiracy theory type, I could totally believe "Big Streaming" are the ones keeping storage prices high.

With gigabit internet being common place now, it feels like for the first time storage space/speed are the bottleneck in my setup.

About 15 years ago, my friends and I considered buying a 1TB hard drive between us that we could use to trade Linux ISOs because it seemed inconceivable that we would ever fill it.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

When I lived in a shared house full of nerds we built a windows home server box and used its weird Drive Extender feature to pool a bunch of spare hard drives for a monster 2.5tb of Linux ISO storage, a silly amount of space that existed just because we could.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Tea Bone posted:

If I were the conspiracy theory type, I could totally believe "Big Streaming" are the ones keeping storage prices high.

lol 'high'. I've had an adage for building new computers for literally the past 25 years. "At any point in the time the cost of a 'good sized' hard drive will be $250." I formed it when I brought a 2 gigabyte "BigFoot" in 1998 and spent $250 on it. Shucks.top tells me that $250 could get me an 18TB Easy store at the right time. So 25 years later, that's 13 doublings in size for the exact same dollar amount. Now look at the price of a new house in 1998 vs 2023 for what inflation has done.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Hughlander posted:

"At any point in the time the cost of a 'good sized' hard drive will be $250."

That reminds me of putting $1200 MFM 5.25" full height seagate 1 GB ("the gigabrick") into SCO and NetWare servers early on in my career. They had enough spinning mass that it would make the cheap full tower cases they usually ended up in rock back and forth on power up if they weren't level and had all their feet on.

But yeah.....$250 has been enough to get you whatever defined "plenty of space" for a desktop at that time since forever.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

I presume 16 $/Tb is still the metric. Speaking of I need to go get some spares for my NAS.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

History Comes Inside! posted:

When I lived in a shared house full of nerds we built a windows home server box and used its weird Drive Extender feature to pool a bunch of spare hard drives for a monster 2.5tb of Linux ISO storage, a silly amount of space that existed just because we could.

I did this for years, and it kinda ruled. When I bought a 360 I was amazed that it just found my server and allowed me to stream music from it over whatever game I was playing. Videos worked too, assuming they were in WMV (which, lol, no). I eventually built another Windows box and used a program called, ironically, Drive Extender, to do the same thing since MS abandoned WHS.

Last year I bought a Synology and I don't know why I waited so long*. Having an extra 30TB and 2 bays to spare feels great.

*it was money

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Warbird posted:

I presume 16 $/Tb is still the metric. Speaking of I need to go get some spares for my NAS.

If you get on sale it’s less. That $250 for a 18 I grabbed a bunch of drives for puts it at $13.80.

Tea Bone
Feb 18, 2011

I'm going for gasps.

Hughlander posted:

lol 'high'. I've had an adage for building new computers for literally the past 25 years. "At any point in the time the cost of a 'good sized' hard drive will be $250." I formed it when I brought a 2 gigabyte "BigFoot" in 1998 and spent $250 on it. Shucks.top tells me that $250 could get me an 18TB Easy store at the right time. So 25 years later, that's 13 doublings in size for the exact same dollar amount. Now look at the price of a new house in 1998 vs 2023 for what inflation has done.

Yeah I agree in that regard, to the average user storage is cheap enough to be basically negligible at this point.

But I mean it in terms of bandwidth for data hoarders I suppose. Back when I got my first 1 TB hard drive I was on 8mbs, it would have taken over 12 days of constant downloading to fill the drive.

Now to fill that 16TB hard drive on a gigabit it's under 2 days.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Tea Bone posted:

Yeah I agree in that regard, to the average user storage is cheap enough to be basically negligible at this point.

But I mean it in terms of bandwidth for data hoarders I suppose. Back when I got my first 1 TB hard drive I was on 8mbs, it would have taken over 12 days of constant downloading to fill the drive.

Now to fill that 16TB hard drive on a gigabit it's under 2 days.

I think we're getting close to a plateau in speed though, and your use is a bit different. I'll tell you mine.

10 years ago when I got my first array of 4 TB drives it had 20TB usable and 1GB Ethernet.
Earlier this year I replaced them with the same number of 18TB drives for 90TB usable, and I had 1GB Ethernet.
So in my perspective the storage is eclipsing the transfer at a 4.5X to 1 ratio.

My ISP says I can do 2GB up to 5GB but it's linear cost over the 1GB I'm currently getting, and while my core network is 10GB (NAS, Docker box, development windows machine all on a 10GB network), the edge is still all 1GB including to the demarc in the garage.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I love having gigabit downstream but I could easily survive on less, going fiber and getting away from max 20mbit cable upstream was way more important. And data caps.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I could get gigabit but all my Linux ISOs are from other timezones so they download overnight when I’m asleep anyway, and I’d have to pay double what I’m paying for a perfectly cromulent 160mbit fibre connection for the privilege.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Synchronous gigabit upload owns. Sorry about your hilariously lopsided speeds.

I'd like my next array to be SSD but it seems like a bad idea since all the drives will fail at about exactly the same time, unless if you purposefully wear down a sacrificial one.

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

Looks like both Drunkenslug and Ninja Central have registration open if anyone needs a new indexer. I got Ninja Central a few months ago and it works great. I have had Drunkenslug for a few years and it works great as well.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Thanks, I didn't know about/have ninja central.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Yeah, I added Ninja Central. I also noticed a certain big movie tracker is back up!

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Looks like ninja deletes users for non activity, as I went from not knowing it, to realizing I had a login there, to the login failing in the space of about 30 seconds.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

EL BROMANCE posted:

Looks like ninja deletes users for non activity, as I went from not knowing it, to realizing I had a login there, to the login failing in the space of about 30 seconds.

What is activity? API hits or are the doing the IPTorrents thing where they want you to log into the web site? (yeah, I really want to participate in the comment section of a torrent site)

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
If you don't hit the API every 14 days your account is deactivated. It's stupid as gently caress.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

That sure is.

I get not wanting to have a bunch of abandoned accounts in your user list, but 14 days?

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
Yep. I emailed them to have my account reactivated, which they did, but it has since been deactivated again.

Tremors
Aug 16, 2006

What happened to the legendary Chris Redfield, huh? What happened to you?!
Would setting up rss in the *arrs work to avoid that?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Is there an idiots guide to the RSS thing? I think currently my *arrs are just set up with the things I want in and they do searches through the API a few times a day.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Thanks Ants posted:

Is there an idiots guide to the RSS thing? I think currently my *arrs are just set up with the things I want in and they do searches through the API a few times a day.

Indexer has to support it and the *arrs will check the feed continuously for targeted releases to grab instead of doing the automatic searches. Works pretty well with torrents I bet.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Tremors posted:

Your mother specifically asked for it there!

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Silly Burrito posted:

Your mother specifically asked for it there!

Lmao

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Thanks Ants posted:

https://trash-guides.info/ has a bunch of poo poo. There's even another arr that just goes through and applies everything in it to your arrs

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
Yo dog we heard you like arrs so we made an arr that just puts its arrs in your other arrs :yarr:

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

Tremors posted:

The easiest way would probably be to add a curl command to cron.

Nullset
Apr 21, 2010

You have to actually login to the website at NinjaCentral every ~14 days with a free account to not get disabled. It's very much a means of pushing people to pay for VIP, as VIPs don't have the inactivity timer.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Nullset posted:

You have to actually login to the website at NinjaCentral every ~14 days with a free account to not get disabled. It's very much a means of pushing people to pay for VIP, as VIPs don't have the inactivity timer.

How are they as an indexer? The lowest paid tier is 1000 API calls and 100 downloads a day for 12 euro a year, if they're in the same neighborhood of usefulness as something like Geek that's not a bad deal.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Nullset posted:

Oh good. I chucked them 12 euro so I can give them a fair try.

Takes No Damage posted:

How are they as an indexer? The lowest paid tier is 1000 API calls and 100 downloads a day for 12 euro a year, if they're in the same neighborhood of usefulness as something like Geek that's not a bad deal.

I have them set as second priority so in a week or so I'll check and see what kind of success I'm having with them.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

drat, missed the bandwagon yesterday and registrations are closed again.

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

Here is my usage with Ninja having it for a couple of months. Geek is my number one used indexer by far. But Slug and Ninja are pretty much tied for second in terms of successful grabs.

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007
Assuming they're all paid accounts and you aren't limited by API calls/grabs, is there any reason why you'd have certain indexers prioritized over others? I can understand why you'd want to prioritize Usenet servers, but are certain indexers more prone to having fakes submitted or something?

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Quixzlizx posted:

Assuming they're all paid accounts and you aren't limited by API calls/grabs, is there any reason why you'd have certain indexers prioritized over others? I can understand why you'd want to prioritize Usenet servers, but are certain indexers more prone to having fakes submitted or something?

I get way fewer failures from Geek than from Slug and especially NZB.su.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007
Another dumb question, if I want to try out a paid ninja account, do I have to pay the "extra" for the fees? I would've just asked on their discord server, but it wanted me to give a bunch of permissions to some third-party captcha bot which I don't really want to do if possible.

more falafel please posted:

I get way fewer failures from Geek than from Slug and especially NZB.su.

Oh, that's interesting. Is it just outright fake/empty nzbs being submitted, or nzbs being submitted with unintentionally broken metadata, or what? Since the integrity of the actual files should be completely independent of where the nzbs are being submitted, I'm assuming.