Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

3D Megadoodoo posted:

How to tell everyone you have literally no idea about what artists are without saying you have literally no idea about what artists are.

they're the people I commission to draw my OC doing filthy things to Sonic the hedgehog

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Coolness Averted posted:

they're the people I commission to draw my OC doing filthy things to Sonic the hedgehog

the robots will do that for you for a small subscription fee. If you pay more sonic will have the correct number of limbs and eyes.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Regarde Aduck posted:

the robots will do that for you for a small subscription fee. If you pay more sonic will have the correct number of limbs and eyes.

You’re making an awful lot of assumptions about how many limbs/eyes are ‘right’

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Blockade posted:

Artists may wonder what the utility of another proof of pythagorean theorem is, or what is the value of pondering the stars, and the answer is its a beautiful thing you can think about and broaden your understanding of the world
I make my living as an artist, and all artists i know personally are super interested in science, and like to incorporate new findings into their work etc.
Like regarde aduck said, the rivalry/dislike is entirely one-sided.

Confiscating homeless people's tents during historic rains:

Blockade
Oct 22, 2008

Regarde Aduck posted:

i think pondering things is part of being an artist so...? Like it's not the artists constantly dismissing other peoples fields of expertise. The punching is only ever one way.

In my lived experience, I got my studies dismissed all the time by artists, to the point where I frequently just straight up lied and said i studied film and not physics

Few seemed to believe anyone would want to study natural phenomena for its own sake, and others thought i was dismissive of them solely for mentioning what I worked on. Which is entirely untrue, the arts are great subjects worthy of study, however i am dismissive of economics and political science, which ape the sciences in a cargo cult way, like why are you making graphs of subjective things that arent even countable, what are you doing

edit: im kind of curious about racial diversity by major, somehow I dont think math is as solidly white as u might think

Blockade has issued a correction as of 01:20 on Oct 2, 2023

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

Blockade posted:

In my lived experience, I got my studies dismissed all the time by artists, to the point where I frequently just straight up lied and said i studied film and not physics

Few seemed to believe anyone would want to study natural phenomena for its own sake, and others thought i was dismissive of them solely for mentioning what I worked on. Which is entirely untrue, the arts are great subjects worthy of study, however i am dismissive of economics and political science, which ape the sciences in a cargo cult way, like why are you making graphs of subjective things that arent even countable, what are you doing

edit: im kind of curious about racial diversity by major, somehow I dont think math is as solidly white as u might think

lol this stupid fucker studied physics, gonna get the gender studies class to beat you up and steal your pronouns

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

Blockade posted:

however i am dismissive of economics and political science, which ape the sciences in a cargo cult way, like why are you making graphs of subjective things that arent even countable, what are you doing

What are your thoughts on political economy? How much does a coat cost?

Blockade
Oct 22, 2008

tokin opposition posted:

lol this stupid fucker studied physics, gonna get the gender studies class to beat you up and steal your pronouns

everyone in stem has pronouns now, maybe you heard of programming socks

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001
yeah my only trans friends (or classmates even) in college were in the science programs. also a super transphobic kid who (surprise surprise) transitioned a few years after we graduated and had to send everyone an apology for being an rear end in a top hat before

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Which box do I fit in if I'm an artist who thinks science is cool but get way too excited by everything I read about the ongoing replication crisis? Like, I might be getting a little too much enjoyment from the replication crisis. Like, if the replication crisis was an anime girl, I might want to buy a very large poster of her

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Which box do I fit in if I'm an artist who thinks science is cool but get way too excited by everything I read about the ongoing replication crisis? Like, I might be getting a little too much enjoyment from the replication crisis. Like, if the replication crisis was an anime girl, I might want to buy a very large poster of her

did u misspell "autist" op

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Second Hand Meat Mouth posted:

did u misspell "autist" op

You obviously decided that me, an isolated example, am indicative of autists as a whole. I want you to find 100 other unrelated people who get their dicks hard over the replication crisis and see if you draw the same conclusion every time

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

You obviously decided that me, an isolated example, am indicative of autists as a whole. I want you to find 100 other unrelated people who get their dicks hard over the replication crisis and see if you draw the same conclusion every time

not bad

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
Replication crisis-chan is mid

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

tokin opposition posted:

Replication crisis-chan is mid

She's gonna step on your published results

AxGrap
Jan 11, 2005

☝☯ Ŧ𝓤𝒸Ҝ 𝓨𝕠𝔲! 🐼👽
When people think they are smart enough to talk about something out of their field as an authority and they have clout it's pretty dangerous. gently caress that lady, I watched her trans video and she cited Jesse Singal for Christ sake, and to me that just means that she picked a side and wants to use her influence to back it, which obviously brings all her work into question. All celebrities are scum unless they constantly prove otherwise imo.

That last sentence is a little harsh, but idk I might stand by it.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

A large one.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Paladinus posted:

A large one.
I feel like a hundred small ones would be more on-theme.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

PoundSand posted:

There's some kind of dismissive stuff here but overall I agree.

Yeah, I'm being an rear end in a top hat about it, kinda on purpose because I'm a bad person. The actual point is that you need to understand the limitations of your methods. And I think the soft sciences spend a lot more time thinking about the appropriate methods for investigating stuff. And also thinking about larger contexts and extremely complex systems, which is why they're breeding grounds for college communists

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

i only have to find 50 and then they can replicate to create a complete data set

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001
lol amazon review

"Hopefully Elenco will crack the whip at the Chinese factory to fix this, or they'll see a lot of returns for this very simple and silly defect."

jfc

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

BonHair posted:

Yeah, I'm being an rear end in a top hat about it, kinda on purpose because I'm a bad person. The actual point is that you need to understand the limitations of your methods. And I think the soft sciences spend a lot more time thinking about the appropriate methods for investigating stuff. And also thinking about larger contexts and extremely complex systems, which is why they're breeding grounds for college communists

If you think long and hard enough about anything you end up at communism. Prove me wrong.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Tried to reason against that point and ended up at communism :negative:

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
QED, bitch.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

communists breeding on campuses. a big red breedfest.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
breed and roses

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Orange Devil posted:

If you think long and hard enough about anything you end up at communism. Prove me wrong.

Well, not anything. If you think long and hard about sex you end up at Sonic

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

BonHair posted:

Well, not anything. If you think long and hard about sex you end up at Sonic

The hedgehog or the fastfood?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
the hedgehog is very fast himself

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Jazerus posted:

(1) anti-obesity drug that doesn't make your heart explode or w/e.

ECH exists, though I understand in America Ephedra is banned because of meth making.

I know someone who cut 6 lbs a week on ECH for a summer, tapering off right before varsity drug testing.

tokin opposition posted:

The hardest science is philosophy because we invented math, science, and being correct.

I had an entire seminar on Plutarch’s natural philosophy, specifically Quaestiones Naturales, and I have to say I enjoyed the thought process more than science. A lot of it is wrong, from a scientific perspective, but it’s not science so you can wonder “Why are the paws of bears the sweetest and pleasantest food? “ (XXII)

“BECAUSE the flesh of those parts of the body which concoct aliment the best is sweetest; and that concocts best which transpires most by motion and exercise. But the bear uses the fore-feet most in going and running, and in managing of things, as it were with hands”

While others are closer to correct, though the conclusions are reached by philosophical, not scientific, methods.

“What is the reason that pit-water is less nutritive than either that that ariseth out of springs or falleth down from heaven?” (XXXIII)

“Is it because it is more cold, and withal hath less air in it? Or because it containeth much salt from the earth mingled therewith?—now it is well known that salt above all other things causeth leanness. Or because standing still, and not exercised with running and stirring, it getteth a certain malignant quality, which is hurtful to both plants and animals, and is the cause that it is neither well concocted nor able to feed and nourish any thing? Hence it is that all dead waters of pools are unwholesome, for that they cannot digest and despatch those harmful qualities which they borrow of the evil property of the air or of the earth.”

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 12:46 on Oct 2, 2023

Centrist Dad
Nov 13, 2007

When I see your posting
College Slice

Ruffian Price posted:

Tried to reason against that point and ended up at communism :negative:

Yeah but what if NOBODY WANTS TO WORK ANYMORE, how can you have Communism then?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

We have historic proof that if people don't have to work, they won't.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

3D Megadoodoo posted:

We have historic proof that if people don't have to work, they won't.

If you're thinking of royalty, they did lots of stuff, just nothing good. Hosting parties is a kind of work.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

BonHair posted:

If you're thinking of royalty, they did lots of stuff, just nothing good. Hosting parties is a kind of work.

No I was thinking of the culture who only left behind loving huge middens of seafood shells because all they did was lie on the beach and eat seafood right out of the sea.

(I may be oversimplifying this a tad.)

e: Royalty aren't people.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

As Christman pointed out when critiquing Graeber, that's all well and good, but there's a reason that all that's left of their society today is heaps of garbage.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

3D Megadoodoo posted:

No I was thinking of the culture who only left behind loving huge middens of seafood shells because all they did was lie on the beach and eat seafood right out of the sea.

(I may be oversimplifying this a tad.)

e: Royalty aren't people.

Those dudes would have loved Jimmy Buffett

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Frosted Flake posted:

As Christman pointed out when critiquing Graeber, that's all well and good, but there's a reason that all that's left of their society today is heaps of garbage.

Whoa a post from 3023, about us? e: haha just kidding, what we're leaving behind is literal poison.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Frosted Flake posted:

That's all that's left of any society ultimately.

Matt is a good boy but his Graebgrow takes were Not It

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Failed Imagineer posted:

That's all that's left of any society ultimately.

Matt is a good boy but his Graebgrow takes were Not It

I think he was right that Tlaxcala being a republic is effectively meaningless. Anarchists putting its direct democracy up on a pedestal really misses the point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Failed Imagineer posted:

Those dudes would have loved Jimmy Buffett

lol