Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Zurtilik posted:

I like how we just chucked the eyes of Nidhogg off a cliff. I'm sure we'll never see any trouble from those eyes again.

The problem with this is that the game doesn't communicate that that abyss is supposed to be so volatile with dangerous energies that no-one and nothing is supposed to be able to survive down there. This is stated somewhere, but AFAIK, not in-game, and it would have made that decision a lot less "wtf".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
It's mentioned by some nearby NPCs

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Yeah, it's in-game but it's a passing comment. Easy to miss, easy to forget if you saw it.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
So, I learned three things today.

First, if you use <mo> in a macro, you can use the action on your mouseover target. (For example, /ac "Cure II" <mo> would cast Cure II on your mouseover.)

Second, if you're into using crime tools, MOAction is a Dalamud plugin that works the same way as WoW's addons like healbot, like TLD was asking about earlier.

And third, that I could experiment even more with macro targeting options, and start getting up to some loving war crimes with macros.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank
Note that while you can do a lot of things with macros, including mouseover targeting, it's not generally recommended for standard combat actions. Macros do not participate in ability queuing, which in practice means you incur a quarter second-ish extra cast time cost on any ability using them.

They can still be useful for rarely used, off-GCD abilities. Shirk on tanks is very commonly just a /ac Shirk <2> macro to transfer threat to the other tank, for instance.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Xerophyte posted:

Note that while you can do a lot of things with macros, including mouseover targeting, it's not generally recommended for standard combat actions. Macros do not participate in ability queuing, which in practice means you incur a quarter second-ish extra cast time cost on any ability using them.

MOAction (or the better version, ReAction) fixes this.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
Yeah the ability to queue macros feels a bit like cheating which the launcher authors said they wouldn't allow in plugins but hey I'll keep (ab)using it as long as it's there.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

in-game macros have a bunch of other issues that keep them from being a great idea in combat most of the time. getting them to queue properly like most other buttons might be "cheating" but it's such a low impact thing vs the qol improvement of not having to spam the button a billion times in half a second to get it to actually fire off... :shrug:

save your keyboard/mouse buttons some cycles, use ReAction

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

BlazetheInferno posted:

The problem with this is that the game doesn't communicate that that abyss is supposed to be so volatile with dangerous energies that no-one and nothing is supposed to be able to survive down there. This is stated somewhere, but AFAIK, not in-game, and it would have made that decision a lot less "wtf".

Ah. I always figured the sheer drop, as well as no way down there, was enough to do it.

Truxton
Oct 31, 2012
Heads up for Free Trial players - the patch is up, which means the 8648.33 MB mandatory download because Stormblood is part of the trial now is available, too.

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021
This might be unpopular opinion, but I liked 50-60lvl dark knight questline much more than 30-50lvl one.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

50-60 is still very good, mostly for the ending, but that is mildly unpopular from what I've gathered

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Honestly, 60-70 was the divisive one for me. The ending was very good, but I knew exactly where it was going from the beginning so it was a good 60 quest and a good 70 quest with a whole lot of mediocre in between.

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021

girl dick energy posted:

The ending was very good, but I knew exactly where it was going from the beginning

That's exactly my feelings about famous 30-50 quests.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Szarrukin posted:

That's exactly my feelings about famous 30-50 quests.
Fray starts by asking if you wanna kill some cops and never stops being awesome. Myste is a pathetic failson who tries to project his guilt complex onto you.

Sidurgu's just trying to learn how to be a dad. :unsmith:

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

girl dick energy posted:

Fray starts by asking if you wanna kill some cops and never stops being awesome. Myste is a pathetic failson who tries to project his guilt complex onto you.

Sidurgu's just trying to learn how to be a dad. :unsmith:
I love the DRK storyline because, ultimately, it's about taking better care of yourself and thus being better able to help others and then, ultimately, yourself and, that, alongside the packaging being Metal as gently caress, is yaknow, nice :unsmith:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

DRK really is "The Power of Love (Heavy Metal Remix)".

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia
Finally made it to Stormblood. I should take a break in game and do something else next time I finish an expansion. It always seems like everything is happening too fast story wise because there's natural pauses normally where patches and releases would be.

Instead it's like I finish one quest and turn around do another and the NPC is like "Finally. We've received word from the commander!" Ir whatever.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Zurtilik posted:

Finally made it to Stormblood. I should take a break in game and do something else next time I finish an expansion. It always seems like everything is happening too fast story wise because there's natural pauses normally where patches and releases would be.

Instead it's like I finish one quest and turn around do another and the NPC is like "Finally. We've received word from the commander!" Ir whatever.

Yeah, at some point that becomes a punchline when you're catching up.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
You could probably just line up the raids or other optional content and do everything in patch order. It'll break up the MSQ at least.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

You could probably just line up the raids or other optional content and do everything in patch order. It'll break up the MSQ at least.

This is what I did up until I beat Shadowbringers. By that point I wanted to get caught up and by god i sprinted to the finish.

I regret this a little bit, cause the way I handled everything prior was way more chill. Yeah ARR relics suck but when I'm juggling books with raids and the beginnings of HW it's not too bad. Same with HW->StB, though I confess I got lost in Eureka for a solid month.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Zurtilik posted:

Luckily, it's easy to tell when the intended breaks are. Just go do something else for a bit whenever completing an MSQ quest gives you an achievement with a title attached.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

I heard the NieR raids had bosses with stupid high health but wow those jets in the Puppet's Bunker took loving forever.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
There's another pair in Paradigm's Breach that are way HP overtuned, too. Make sure you have a Snickers handy.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

It's not just that they have a lot of HP, it's that 1/4 to 1/3 of the DPS have a weakness debuff at any given time too

FuturePastNow fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Oct 9, 2023

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

yeah, if everyone's on point they take about as long as any other non-ct raid, but I'd say they're a set that punishes a little harder for failure by way of outright killing people or hobbling them with debuffs on top of damage from avoidable mechanics.

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia
I figured Rhalgrs Reach would get sacked, but that was fast.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Zurtilik posted:

It is very impressive how quickly it happens, yes.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Zurtilik posted:

What's really surprising about that event is that the old man who's a walking death flag is actually the one who survives.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

I'd recommend this for basically any players during any expansion ending incidentally, doing all the optional stuff in each story patch (unless it's something you don't care about like crafting/relic weapons/tribes/Eureka) feels a lot better pacing-wise than trying to slam through the MSQ.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

So I recently cheesed my crafters and gatherers to 90 and am slowly making my way through all the various job quests and kitting them out with indagator gear. My original motivation for doing all this was just so that I can repair my gear +100% whenever and meld materia, but now that I'm here I'm curious what other interesting avenues have opened up for me to explore.

I'm vaguely aware of desynthesis as a concept but tbh I'm not really into spending a ton of time on the marketboard or analyzing spreadsheets. Is that what you guys are doing? idk. I am, however, really liking the idea of not having to pay for food anymore and also just being able to whip up whatever housing item or gear that I want. I intend to make my way through the ShB/Endwalker expansion quests as well as the various tribal quests, and I'll probably get around to custom deliveries eventually. Is there anything else I'm missing?

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

Desynth can be very profitable on extreme trial weapons if leveled. Beyond that it is mostly used for turning dungeon drops and venture greens into crafting material when you don't want to turn them into GC seals. Finding desynth arbitrage on the market board sounds like something very fiddly and time consuming for petty cash.

Crafting food and tinctures is likewise close to pointless after the first week or two of new recipes. It's a gain over material cost, barely, but given the craft time it's some of the lowest gil/s in the game. It's worse than roulettes, and far worse than something actually profitable like maps, hitting rocks, or crafting housing stuff or current (or even not-current) equipment. Just buy food IMO.

Ordinaire
Sep 1, 2008

Forks in the road we're not.
There are also certain glamours, primarily swimsuits, as well as at least one minion that can only be obtained by desynthing certain fish.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

It is also, very importantly, a Number that can Go Up, complete with a bar under your DoH/DoL job level on your character sheet, and that's enough for certain horse dogg maniacs. (Like me.)

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

The big big thing that opens up by leveling a crafter and gatherer is the privilege of doing some very good content: the DoH/L tribes. Like I consider the EW tribes as MSQ given how it ties into the themes of the xpac. Also they are very easy and funny.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

e: wrong thread, somehow?

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

Xerophyte posted:

Crafting food and tinctures is likewise close to pointless after the first week or two of new recipes. It's a gain over material cost, barely, but given the craft time it's some of the lowest gil/s in the game. It's worse than roulettes, and far worse than something actually profitable like maps, hitting rocks, or crafting housing stuff or current (or even not-current) equipment. Just buy food IMO.

I can't tell you how much this disappoints me lol it's not even about the money, I don't mind paying for food. I just wasn't expecting it to be a total wash there.
speaking of, I have about 3 or 4 of those Ophiotauroskin maps from Khloe. Should I just throw up a PF? Do I need 8 like the fine print recommends?

Antivehicular posted:

It is also, very importantly, a Number that can Go Up, complete with a bar under your DoH/DoL job level on your character sheet, and that's enough for certain horse dogg maniacs. (Like me.)

Yeah now that I'm at 90 that number at the bottom is looking pretty enticing..

GloomMouse posted:

The big big thing that opens up by leveling a crafter and gatherer is the privilege of doing some very good content: the DoH/L tribes. Like I consider the EW tribes as MSQ given how it ties into the themes of the xpac. Also they are very easy and funny.

I enjoyed the other EW tribal story a lot, so I'm excited to see what's in store with the L's!

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

God Hole posted:

I have about 3 or 4 of those Ophiotauroskin maps from Khloe. Should I just throw up a PF? Do I need 8 like the fine print recommends?
You don't need a full party. 4-5 people should be fine, less depending on group composition and how long you want fights to take. You could even solo the dungeons on Warrior, though it would take basically forever.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

God Hole posted:

I can't tell you how much this disappoints me lol it's not even about the money, I don't mind paying for food. I just wasn't expecting it to be a total wash there.

It's not a total wash, just not in my opinion a very good use of time. For a data point, looking up prices for Baked Eggplant -- the most commonly used max level food -- at my DC (Chaos):

Buying 3 Baked Eggplant: ~8700 gil
Material cost for 1 craft: ~6000 gil, assuming you only need 1 HQ item.

This also assuming you shop around to find the cheapest bulk materials on the DC, which is a little more annoying than just shopping around for the cheapest food. Anyhow, it's certainly a gain per craft. Craft time will depend on how hard you've overmelded and how many HQ items you're use. Probably you'll be at 60s-90s/craft.

Let's call it roughly 150 000 gil/hour. Probably less if your melds are cheap and you're selling the food in a taxed retainer zone, probably more if you've done the expensive melds and intend to eat the food yourself.

You'll also get crafter's spiritbond, which is significant for bulk goods like food. I'm going to wildly guess that it'll add somewhere around 50k/hour. Non-expert bulk crafting also has the advantage that you can distill it down to pressing a macro once every 30 seconds, so it takes very little attention and you can do it as a background task if you want.

200k/hour is better than I thought it'd be, so I take back that it'd be par with roulettes (which I'd put at around 100k with spiritbond, desynth, in need bonus, tome materials, etc). 200k is still not particularly impressive as high level money making schemes go. Punching a single high level gathering node or gathering a single map is ~50k, a single new map cloth makes a 3M gil vest, max level gear on the first two weeks of a patch are ~500k/craft, etc.

Having max level gatherers and crafters is absolutely worth it. You can make a lot of money with little effort if you play near a raid patch launch, it opens a bunch of interesting (and very profitable!) little plotlines in custom deliveries, etc. "My consumables are cheaper" just isn't much of a powerhouse feature in my opinion; the way crafting is set up means that bulk crafting anything is inherently very time consuming. Food isn't much more expensive than its components, yet it's just as much work to craft as a piece of gear or furniture with 100x the profit margin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Funny story, if you wanna make money in food, the best way to do it is HQ ingredients. For example, if you sell high-quality Garlean Cheese, one of the ingredients in Baked Eggplant, not only are you spending less time crafting, because Garlean Cheese is a much easier recipe, the initial investment of Crafter poo poo required to reliably make it High Quality in one macro is much, much lower.

Edit: Though this does assume you've got a level 90 combat retainer getting you stacks of Ovibos Milk on repeat. I'm not sure how the math works out if you buy the milk.