Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

I've also found that being away from the capital and busy with an activity (or being busy with going to/from an activity) prevents the 2nd part of the danger event from firing approximately a year later. When I get the event that I nearly slipped in the bath or got run down by an ox cart, I call up my Caravan Master and schedule a nice long pilgrimage with plenty of detours to hit up foreign capitals on the way back for bonus XP. It's kept me safe for the most part.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Bring back plague and pestilence and a hospital gold sink that very slightly shift the odds in a direction that is supposed to be in your favour!

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
It was the middle ages, people just abruptly got sick and died out of nowhere for no reason medieval "medicine" could discern all the time. The whole "died of poor health" at age 31 thing in CK2 was certainly annoying but it was also both true to the times and an important game mechanic, the importance of which I didn't appreciate until I played CK3 where I can pretty much bank on a good long life and also on knowing in advance when I'm about to die so I can arrange everything first.

Maybe it's just Paradox's answer to the cacophony of players complaining about the randomness of CK2 death because you can't savescum in Ironman and I'm the weird one, though. Randomness in general, too; there's a lot of poo poo that was randomness based on MTTH in CK2 that's just a straight up "it will happen on this date" in CK3.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Sep 24, 2023

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

In a sense, I feel like stress is the new (transparent and very game:able) counterpart to CK2's hidden health value. Sure, health as a stat is still around, but it doesn't matter nearly as much since so few things affect or are affected by it, and since it's fairly game:able as well.

Just the fact that we have the standard saying “stress is just another resource” is pretty telling in how predictable it has become and how much it's just something you deal with habitually as opposed to the hidden — and therefore very scary — health effects you could see back in the day.

L.U.I.G.I
Apr 19, 2023

i cant believe i was the useless piece of shit who managed to rig all the Library of Ruina LP thread polls and all i got was this account and shitty avatar.

pls say hi and heckle me

Tippis posted:

In a sense, I feel like stress is the new (transparent and very game:able) counterpart to CK2's hidden health value. Sure, health as a stat is still around, but it doesn't matter nearly as much since so few things affect or are affected by it, and since it's fairly game:able as well.

Just the fact that we have the standard saying “stress is just another resource” is pretty telling in how predictable it has become and how much it's just something you deal with habitually as opposed to the hidden — and therefore very scary — health effects you could see back in the day.

I mean, you get more point in stat if you are stressed enough (With thriving in Chaos I think)

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

The random deaths are fine, but playing as an "incapable" character that can't do anything, including die, is infuriating. There should be an option to abdicate if you're incapable.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

There should be an option but it should always be greyed out and mousing over it has the tooltip "You are incapable"

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012

SlothBear posted:

The random deaths are fine, but playing as an "incapable" character that can't do anything, including die, is infuriating. There should be an option to abdicate if you're incapable.

Fail to imprison an indirect vassal, and surrender in the ensuing tyranny war. This should abdicate, at the cost of a level of CA

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Really old news to all of you, but I just have to say I love how "This is you" changes to "This is you, and you are magnificent" when you have the Arrogant trait. That cracks me up. Especially when you're playing a character that objectively sucks.

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

Just had a king die at an awkward time and inherited into a two year old girl. Nothing happened. Her two uncles with claims on the kingdom did nothing. Every vassal has 50-100 opinion of her from passive modifiers, no persuasion needed. Where is the challenge?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Dunno without more information. You may have just gotten lucky. My experience so far (and it seems the experience of most players) is your life expectancy in that situation is about a year. Do you happen to have a spectacular spymaster who is your mother or something?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Various Meat Products posted:

Just had a king die at an awkward time and inherited into a two year old girl. Nothing happened. Her two uncles with claims on the kingdom did nothing. Every vassal has 50-100 opinion of her from passive modifiers, no persuasion needed. Where is the challenge?

Have you bred yourself a line of beautiful herculean geniuses? Because yeah it does tend to rob the game of it's challenge.

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

I mean, that's a rhetorical question. The game is easy as hell and I'm having a hard time staying interested is all

Edit: I've been deliberately avoiding overpowered stuff like breeding programs and Golden Obligations farming. I had a lot of hours in CK2 and after almost 1000 in 3 I'm just underwhelmed at how little friction there is in between starting as some no name count and becoming the most powerful and beloved ruler in Europe, generally in two lifetimes or less.

Various Meat Products fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Sep 26, 2023

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Tippis posted:

That puts into words what I have been feeling about this game in terms of how samey and safe each play through can get. With the plethora of options to reduce stress and the player being given perfect information on the mechanic, it makes it much less of an enforcement mechanism for RPing the current ruler than it otherwise should be.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I know I'm pretty much alone on this but I think role playing should be enforced. Doing things antithetical to your character traits just shouldn't be an option at all.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
i put a -100 vassal and liege opinion penalty and a -50 general and a -100% levy rate and it gets things going

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Eric the Mauve posted:

I know I'm pretty much alone on this but I think role playing should be enforced. Doing things antithetical to your character traits just shouldn't be an option at all.

I don't really like that because even in real life people do things that are against their nature when it's really important for them to do so. I think it makes sense, but generally I think the stress penalties should be a little higher, but also I'd like to see stress naturally decrease over time instead of staying static until you get some other stress relieving option.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It would probably be enough to just get a general sense of your mental state and the toll an action would take, rather than the fully 300-step granular scale on both sides of the equation. Again, similar to how health worked, where you'd get some vague indication and descriptive traits to tell you your overall well-being.

It's the whole “yeah, I can take 90 stress from [wholly out-of-character action] right now because the last one gave 30 and then I reduced it by 25 and also I have a hunt banked for sudden events” level of insight that makes it too… dry and game:able, I suppose.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Yeah I think you have to commit to the roleplaying.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

MikeC posted:

That puts into words what I have been feeling about this game in terms of how samey and safe each play through can get. With the plethora of options to reduce stress and the player being given perfect information on the mechanic, it makes it much less of an enforcement mechanism for RPing the current ruler than it otherwise should be.

Yeah the player being given perfect information about everything is a serious impediment to actually RPing, or even just having an enjoyable strategy game vs. AIs I think. I understand the impetus so new players don't feel overwhelmed, but that should probably be difficulty related, with the true values of things hidden (with random biases baked in) in 'Normal' difficulty or whatever since that's as high as it goes.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
theres a mod for that

and if you want it for difficulty you also wanna pick up inherichance and higher mortality mods. pump out 9 babies and watch 7 of them die just like in real life!

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
You guys haven't been playing enough Shy+Paranoid characters lately and it's showing!

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

bob dobbs is dead posted:

theres a mod for that

Yeah I've been playing the ObfusCKate mod lately and it's game changing (though it doesn't do anything about stress, it hides a lot of the info we've gotten used to having about AI characters unless you get to know them or spy on them).

Obviously it'd be better and less janky if implemented first party in a game designed around it but I definitely recommend giving it a try.

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Sep 27, 2023

Incoming Chinchilla
Apr 2, 2010

Bird in a Blender posted:

I don't really like that because even in real life people do things that are against their nature when it's really important for them to do so. I think it makes sense, but generally I think the stress penalties should be a little higher, but also I'd like to see stress naturally decrease over time instead of staying static until you get some other stress relieving option.

I agree. My "compassionate" character incurred only 100 stress for ordering a hit on some random woman who's claim was being pushed on my daughter-in-law's Kingdom.

In reality, it's on me to not order the hit in the first place.

I think the issue is that it is hard to put your own goals aside in favour of RP'ing. This can be solved a little by choosing/changing your culture to fit your goal.

I wanted to scratch the vast-empire-building itch, so i chose a Siberian beacuse the culture is zealous and everyone around you is a dirty heathen. I had an ambitious and zealous character who reformed the religion to equal gender and become fundamentalist and move the culture towards warfare. So now everyone is a bellicose zealot and the empire is growing itself.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Set the game to -3 holdings and high factions if you want succession to get interesting.

Incoming Chinchilla
Apr 2, 2010

Decided to play tall as a custom Duke of Bohemier. Game is definitely very fun even without the warfare.

Not pictured above:

- The vassal/soulmate/friend is the daughter of my previous best friend
- The vassal/friend is the wife of my heir and is the daughter of an old rival that i murdered. One of her kids is mine...
- The heir to the Empire of Italy is my bastard
- The heir to some duchy in France is my bastard
- The heir to some counties in Europe are my bastards

I think my dude has 16 kids that people know about. About 10 kids that only he and the mother know about. Various kids that may or may not exist.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Hopping back into CK3 after not playing for around a year, it's changed a lot huh? I noticed you can get achievements without being on ironman now, that's a huge departure from how paradox has done things for the past decade or so.

I've somehow managed to never do a Haesteinn start so I'm gonna go conquer the papacy and see what happens.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Fajita Queen posted:

Hopping back into CK3 after not playing for around a year, it's changed a lot huh? I noticed you can get achievements without being on ironman now, that's a huge departure from how paradox has done things for the past decade or so.

It started with Victoria 3 and I'm glad they back-ported it to CK3. I've never gotten an achievement in a Paradox game before V3 because I don't really play Paradox games unmodded, but now I can actually do achievement runs.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

Magil Zeal posted:

It started with Victoria 3 and I'm glad they back-ported it to CK3. I've never gotten an achievement in a Paradox game before V3 because I don't really play Paradox games unmodded, but now I can actually do achievement runs.

It actually started with Imperator Rome.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
I'll never forgive paradox for what they did.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Buschmaki posted:

I'll never forgive paradox for what they did.

Sunset Invasion wasn't that bad

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Buschmaki posted:

It actually started with Imperator Rome.

I stand corrected I didn't play that game

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)

Magil Zeal posted:

Not enough people did. Hence why Paradox stopped supporting it.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Magil Zeal posted:

Oh poo poo you can get them on modded games now too? That's huge.

Last night I finally reformed paganism and adopted feudalism as a pagan for the first time which felt way more complicated than it should have been but it was a fun time.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

Magil Zeal posted:

Hit you with a George Bush style "You forgot Poland" lmao

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

DD for the Persia flavor pack, out November 9th:
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/developer-diary/dev-diary-136-our-vision-for-persia.1601384/

Excited to see more about the Clan rework. The little preview blurb here sounds like it could be fun and different.

Anno fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Oct 11, 2023

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Please let the clan rework be good :pray:

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual
Looks neat. I like the proposed new mechanical additions. The struggle system in Iberia makes it so that it's the most interesting place in the world to play (it's disappointing that it must be permanently resolved) and getting a second interesting place in Persia is something I wont turn down.

The rest of the world is very mechanically stagnant as has the whole of CK 3 been for awhile now. The last time a serious, world affecting mechanic was introduced was in the form of the culture system, which was great. Everything since has been such nothing, character focused, clumsy, nothing. Pop-ups, character events, they're novel once and increasingly less so on repeat appearance.

This is a grand strategy game. You can't keep it interesting by having the spy master tell me someone is plotting against my family member every 20 seconds. Mechanics, systems, that is the too often ignored blood of this game

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

I'm pretty bummed it's apparently completely focused on the much worse 867 start.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I think I like CK3 overall more than 2 but I really do wish it had more interesting things for most of the areas like CK2 did after most of its expansions. I don't want feature for feature matching but like was said above having a spymaster telling me something is being plotted isn't super interesting after a point.