Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Vote to threadban Bioshuffle
This poll is closed.
Yes (Goku) 146 85.38%
No (also Goku) 25 14.62%
Total: 171 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem
The Vought Cinematic Universe is off to a good start.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

BlackIronHeart posted:

Yeah, it was a little hard to tell with the editing but it seems like masc-Jordan is super tough and femme-Jordan is super fast and they're super strong all the time?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13-KXC-Vw_M&t=227s

This says male form is dense and indestructible.
Female is agile and can launch energy blasts.

a seagull posted:

It looked to me like Male Jordan was very resilient, barely budging against Golden Boy's attacks but not really having an effect punching, while Female Jordan could toss him across the room from a distance but also got punted across the room at one point.

Yep.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

Tarquinn posted:

The Vought Cinematic Universe is off to a good start.
Comics might be different, but nearly all superhero television and movies are constrained to a fairly narrow vision of what a world with superheros would be like. Even something like Suicide Squad was a thin veneer over the usual fare. What's making the VCU fun is saying gently caress it to decorum, and really playing with the possibilities (while backing it up with good scripts and acting). It's going to be interesting to see how long they can keep it going or if people get bored and starts to get called a gimmick . When you consider the amount of mainstream superhero stories churned out every year, there ought to be room for VCU to keep telling stories.

Or the secret is just frequent showing dicks.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Oh, Luke/Golden Boy is Schwarzenegger jr?

I had no idea and hadn't actually registered any of the actors' names since I assumed they were all fairly unknown.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
What is it about the The Boys and gushing arterial wounds? I know a lot of people get hurt in a lot of ways, but there seems to be an large number of necks opening up like faucets compared to other injuries. Maybe it's easier for the special effects team?

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!

Outrail posted:

What is it about the The Boys and gushing arterial wounds? I know a lot of people get hurt in a lot of ways, but there seems to be an large number of necks opening up like faucets compared to other injuries. Maybe it's easier for the special effects team?

You're gonna focus on that and not the huge number of people exploding into giblets in nearly every episode?

Imagine getting cast for this type of series and thinking it's gonna be another Heroes knockoff then finding out you have to get hosed with stage blood or swing around on a giant prop dick every episode lol.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Outrail posted:

I think it's an easy shorthand for "this person has suffered a fatal wound" while also giving them time to either get saved or just drag out a horrible moment for an extra minute or two. And it's an easy fix -- just staunch the wound and pour the blood back into them, whereas if people had gotten shot in the chest or something then it's not immediately clear how to heal the damage.

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

Outrail posted:

It’s simply part of the visual language of The Boys. Just like exploding people and getting their guts everywhere.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

DTurtle posted:

It’s simply part of the visual language of The Boys. Just like exploding people and getting their guts everywhere.

Yeah I get that. Its just this specific injury seems to be extremely prevalent.

Phenotype posted:

I think it's an easy shorthand for "this person has suffered a fatal wound" while also giving them time to either get saved or just drag out a horrible moment for an extra minute or two.

Yeah this makes sense.

Halfway through episode three I had a weird feeling and realised it was because no one had been brutally killed in a while. But then the cricket happened and all was right in the world.

Big Mouth Billy Basshole
Jun 18, 2007

Fun Shoe
Spoilers for episode 3:

is there a reason why Emma agreed so quickly to infiltrate the forest? she didn't know golden boy personally or the rest of that crew.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I didn’t know there was a spin off series. I just saw a ton of new posts here and thought the next season of The Boys got leaked early or something.

That was fun. I didn’t wake up thinking I’d see a close up of a dick in 4K but here we are.

When does this series take place in relation to the main series again? The only weird thing for me is how it’s very clear that the university is suppose to be like a private high school type thing with the whole having to sneak out instead of, you know, just leaving because you’re an adult. But I get why they had to age everyone up to 18+.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Big Mouth Billy Basshole posted:

Spoilers for episode 3:

is there a reason why Emma agreed so quickly to infiltrate the forest? she didn't know golden boy personally or the rest of that crew.

She never thought she'd be able to do superhero stuff because of her power and had just been shown how lovely it was to be on the non-crimefighting path. So she jumped at the chance to be useful and help people instead of being pitied for an eating disorder.

Also she was still a bit high.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

Boris Galerkin posted:

I didn’t know there was a spin off series. I just saw a ton of new posts here and thought the next season of The Boys got leaked early or something.

That was fun. I didn’t wake up thinking I’d see a close up of a dick in 4K but here we are.

When does this series take place in relation to the main series again? The only weird thing for me is how it’s very clear that the university is suppose to be like a private high school type thing with the whole having to sneak out instead of, you know, just leaving because you’re an adult. But I get why they had to age everyone up to 18+.

The first episode mentions Homelander being on trial for killing a protestor and people are saying Queen Maeve isn't dead, so it takes place immediately after season 3.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

jisforjosh posted:

The first episode mentions Homelander being on trial for killing a protestor and people are saying Queen Maeve isn't dead, so it takes place immediately after season 3.

This was not in the focus group versions I saw last year, so I might have to rewatch. In fact, I remember one bit of feedback I had was it was how the chronology of the test episodes was very unclear.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
I'm digging this. There's very much a the Kids are Alright but the adults are constantly trying to corrupt or gently caress them over vibe. It's actually pretty great that they dispensed immediately with the mean girls cool kids trope

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13-KXC-Vw_M&t=227s

This says male form is dense and indestructible.
Female is agile and can launch energy blasts.

Or to put it another way: she's the irresistible force and he's the immovable object.

And yeah, Golden Boy is Arnie's son Patrick. I saw him in Daniel Isn't Real a couple of years ago and I recommend checking it out - he might have got his foot in the door from his dad's connections, but he's not coasting on his name.

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer
Gonna be in the minority and say that this is a hate-watch for me. In general the social commentary is probably the weakest part of The Boys so I'm disappointed they're leaning further and further on that with each passing season. "Genderfluid character that's played by a boy and a girl actor" will not be looked back on fondly. Nor will the show's standpoint that it's OK to have an eating disorder if it's for a good cause

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud

mutantIke posted:

Gonna be in the minority and say that this is a hate-watch for me. In general the social commentary is probably the weakest part of The Boys so I'm disappointed they're leaning further and further on that with each passing season. "Genderfluid character that's played by a boy and a girl actor" will not be looked back on fondly. Nor will the show's standpoint that it's OK to have an eating disorder if it's for a good cause

Fuuuuck off with that poo poo.

She doesn't have an eating disorder, its how she accesses her super powers. TV show Legion had a man/woman super powered person too.

e: both things were directly addressed in episode 2 or 3.

Fozzy The Bear fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Oct 2, 2023

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

mutantIke posted:

Oh word?

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer

Fozzy The Bear posted:

She doesn't have an eating disorder, its how she accesses her super powers.

Yeah, that's the issue. Her superpower is bulimia. Not great.

Fozzy The Bear posted:

Fuuuuck off with that poo poo.
TV show Legion had a man/woman super powered person too.

I haven't seen Legion but I'm sure it can't be worse than all the stuff in episode 3 where they have to come out of the closet to their parents as a shapeshifter

mark immune
Dec 14, 2019

put the teacher in the cope cage imo

mutantIke posted:

Absolutely. Preach!!!

a seagull
Apr 11, 2007

mutantIke posted:

I haven't seen Legion but I'm sure it can't be worse than all the stuff in episode 3 where they have to come out of the closet to their parents as a shapeshifter

The whole point is her superpower isn't bulimia, her mother and her "friend" are forcing that narrative for attention. As she keeps saying, that's just how she gets small. There's nothing else to it, it's an annoying way to access a power, but that's all it is.

And Jordan didn't "come out" to their parents at the dinner, this has obviously been a problem for the dad for a while, and mom doesn't want to have this argument again.

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

mark immune posted:

Absolutely. Preach!!!

lol

it's a garbage show though. sounds like its written by an AI

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
I'm just here for the genital mutilation

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

mutantIke posted:

That's not what happened at all. You are extremely bad at watching dude lol.

a seagull
Apr 11, 2007

Finally someone says what we're all thinking

This is a bizarre edit but I was referring to the genital mutilation

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Apparently the actor that plays Andre may be a right wing incel shithead because he’s following and liking a lot of right wing incel Instagram pages and content.

E: things like anti vax, red pill, Andrew Tate

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Edit: wrong thread

mark immune
Dec 14, 2019

put the teacher in the cope cage imo

tristeham posted:

lol

it's a garbage show though. sounds like its written by an AI

this comic book show is trash. and it’s for freaking CHUDS.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Boris Galerkin posted:

Apparently the actor that plays Andre may be a right wing incel shithead because he’s following and liking a lot of right wing incel Instagram pages and content.

E: things like anti vax, red pill, Andrew Tate

On set "cast chud detector" must be a full time job now for productions.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

He seems like he sucks but like.. ok. what are we supposed to do with this information.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009

Pablo Bluth posted:

Edit: wrong thread

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

mutantIke posted:

You seem to think the show is glorifying her superpower, when she's been exploited for it every episode so far -- by that dude, her mother, her classmate who is a movie star.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

mutantIke posted:

Nor will the show's standpoint that it's OK to have an eating disorder if it's for a good cause

I think this is a bad read of Emma and her character. The show really doesn't think that her bulimia is good, and the character obviously suffers a lot and is in denial about how bad her condition is. A lot of these episodes feature her trying to negotiate her relationship with her illness, but I don't think the show endorses her beliefs.

Saying her "superpower is bullimia" is misleading. It's more that the series is using a SFal metaphor to talk about bullumia and a sufferer's complex attitudes towards it.

Joe Chill
Mar 21, 2013

"What's this dance called?"

"'Radioactive Flesh.' It's the latest - and the last!"

mark immune posted:

this comic book show is trash. and it’s for freaking CHUDS.

Concerning.

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer

Open Source Idiom posted:

I think this is a bad read of Emma and her character. The show really doesn't think that her bulimia is good, and the character obviously suffers a lot and is in denial about how bad her condition is. A lot of these episodes feature her trying to negotiate her relationship with her illness, but I don't think the show endorses her beliefs.

Saying her "superpower is bullimia" is misleading. It's more that the series is using a SFal metaphor to talk about bullumia and a sufferer's complex attitudes towards it.

The former stuff is true, but all of that falls apart when they her put her powers to good productive use in the third episode. It would be like if a movie had an anorexic person save the day by being skinny. Anyway it's not even that I'm really concerned about how Morally Righteous the show is or anything I just think it's social commentary is all super corny and not really that good

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

mutantIke posted:

The former stuff is true, but all of that falls apart when they her put her powers to good productive use in the third episode. It would be like if a movie had an anorexic person save the day by being skinny

Well, no, it's episode three of at least eight episodes, IMO there's obviously going to be an arc here.

There are advantages to her situation (in the same way there are some advantages to bulimia, it's a maladaptive coping strategy that allows people to feel a temporary sense of control etc.) but just because she personally benefits from her experience -- in some ways -- doesn't mean that the show is arguing that her situation is as clear cut as you're arguing it to be.

Like she says to her mother and Jackie Tohn's character, Emma wants the public exploitation of her illness to be inspirational (like Queen Marve), but her condition isn't the same. I thought that scene was really interesting, given that no one in that room comes across as particularly correct -- the Maeve comparison is particular is naive, since we're expected to realise how compromised and phony Maeve's public story was, and how much she hated hiding herself and her personality in order to be a more sallable object.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

mutantIke posted:

The former stuff is true, but all of that falls apart when they her put her powers to good productive use in the third episode. It would be like if a movie had an anorexic person save the day by being skinny.

so if there was a movie about an anorexic model who used her modeling earnings to pay for her mother's cancer treatment, your takeaway would be "anorexia is good"?

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!

mutantIke posted:

So the deep south is going to hate this show?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

TIP posted:

so if there was a movie about an anorexic model who used her modeling earnings to pay for her mother's cancer treatment, your takeaway would be "anorexia is good"?

"Anorexia, in a specific situation, may have been a contributing factor to creating more good than ill, but does not in anyway create an argument that anorexia should be glorified or encouraged."

I mean you could make the same situationally specific argument about carrying guns in public or cats, but that doesn't mean they're generally a good thing to promote.