Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

That last one is excellent

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

dupersaurus posted:

The hummingbirds finally found my feeder so I stuck my GoPro on it and surprisingly they weren’t bothered by it. It’s been a hoot watching them.

Hang around in person. Takes just a few minutes and they'll ignore you. I sit and watch mine in the mornings and the buzz around me inches away, especially if I wear red.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

torgeaux posted:

Hang around in person. Takes just a few minutes and they'll ignore you. I sit and watch mine in the mornings and the buzz around me inches away, especially if I wear red.

Yeah while I was setting the camera up one swooped in and watched from a couple feet away :allears:

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Saw this guy today and thought of you, thread.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
So, you want to try to capture that great morning light with the hummingbirds? gently caress you, the setup is too hard to get them in focus. Some good stuff anyway, including the effect of forcing the electric shutter at 1/10,000 of a second.

Humming Bird in Flight Electric Shutter by B. B., on Flickr

Sunrise Hummer by B. B., on Flickr

Backlit2 by B. B., on Flickr

Into the Sun by B. B., on Flickr

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

torgeaux posted:

So, you want to try to capture that great morning light with the hummingbirds? gently caress you, the setup is too hard to get them in focus. Some good stuff anyway, including the effect of forcing the electric shutter at 1/10,000 of a second.

Humming Bird in Flight Electric Shutter by B. B., on Flickr

Hummingbirds are so past tense. The future is octahedrabirds!

Great shots!

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

I found a beautifully vibrant crow just hanging down at the beach.

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae
Camera'n Crow

Sorbus
Apr 1, 2010
Barn swallow by Eero Vuorinen, on Flickr

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?
robin on birdfeeder by Ross Payton, on Flickr

Trying out the used telephoto lens I got for $70 from MPB.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Your robin is a cardinal!

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

I haven't posted in ages, shameful.

Here are some birds.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

toggle posted:

I haven't posted in ages, shameful.

Here are some birds.

This is great! I love seeing multiple subjects in bird photos, and this has so many!

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?

my cat is norris posted:

Your robin is a cardinal!

duh why did my brain type that. Thanks for the catch!

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

blue squares posted:

This is great! I love seeing multiple subjects in bird photos, and this has so many!

Thanks! They were really hard to photograph since they fly very fast. Crazy thing is, is that there would be a flock/swarm flying past every 20 seconds or so. Just groups of 50+ birds every 20 seconds. Unreal.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

This one is really cool.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
I bought a new-to-me lens, a really nice one - a 300mm F/4 I've long wanted specifically for small birds in trees. It arrived yesterday and I took it to work today. During my breaks I went for a few walks to try it out.

It's better than I hoped. I am very very very happy with these shots.

Red Wattlebird
New 300mm Lens 02 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
Rainbow Lorikeet
New 300mm Lens 06 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr

Striated Pardalote. I'd been hearing several males calling along the path from the carpark to my office, and this pair came out to oblige my wish to see them.
New 300mm Lens 08 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
New 300mm Lens 11 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
New 300mm Lens 12 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
New 300mm Lens 16 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr

Barking Owl
New 300mm Lens 22 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr

The rapidly-increasing group (no collective noun has been established for this species) of Currawongs getting their nerve up to harass the owls, two trees over.
New 300mm Lens 23 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr

QuasiQuack
Jun 13, 2010

Ducks hockey baybee

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

drat, 9am bowling? I’d definitely join.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
Execudork those are nice, congrats on the lens.

Nice mood in these.

nthing that I love this

Some recent photos...

Gyuto Crow-9070

Alvarado Stellers Jay-9313

Alvarado Cal Towhee-9288

Hermit warblers are one of my favorite warblers here in the Bay Area but I've had almost no experiences with them a) in good light b) bright male plumage c) not 65 feet up in a tree. Today was a treat

Creekside Hermit Warbler-9414

Creekside Hermit Warbler-9430

Creekside Hermit Warbler-9469

Creekside Hermit Warbler-9425

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

The ducks are back from their summer vacation!

I also found this guy acting like he was the king of town. (He is in my heart)

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

BetterLekNextTime posted:

Execudork those are nice, congrats on the lens.

Thank you! And congrats on the Warbler, those are great.

I spent last week dogsitting, which included two hour-long walks per day with a pair of big black dogs. My morning routine benefited from their eagerness to get out the door before 7:00am, and I decided this lens is a great excuse to make the change stick. I'm gonna try to go for a walk to the nearest bird-friendly areas (5 minute walk either N or S from my front door) every Monday morning. And, to broaden and strengthen some habits, I want to edit & upload the morning's shots on Mondays after work.

This morning, I saw only very common birds. But any bird is a good bird if I can get it in focus as far as I'm concerned.
Monday Morning Walk_03 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
Monday Morning Walk_04 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
Monday Morning Walk_05 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
Monday Morning Walk_06 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
Monday Morning Walk_11 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
Monday Morning Walk_12 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr

The internal focusing of this lens is a great feature. Reviews of the lens on PentaxForums.com often complain about the autofocus, and that it struggles to get in focus sometimes, and will hunt all the way through from infinity to minimum focus and back again before getting close, or sometimes just never getting to in-focus. I'm seeing some of that with this lens, but I'm coming from only ever using manual focus on my longer lenses (because my 500mm is from the late 1960's and my Sigma 100-300mm is the essence of el-cheapo) so any autofocus is happy magic to me. And that IF means I can fine-tune the focus manually without taking my eye away from the viewfinder or my fingers away from where they sit to support the lens. A little twist to check the focus and this lens gets even better at what I bought it to do: small birds in complex fore-and-background environments. Larger birds, and those out in the open, are just a bonus.

Sneeze Party
Apr 26, 2002

These are, by far, the most brilliant photographs that I have ever seen, and you are a GOD AMONG MEN.
Toilet Rascal
Some bird pictures from the San Diego Zoo.

White Fronted Bee Eater by Sneeze Party, on Flickr

White Fronted Bee Eater by Sneeze Party, on Flickr

Northern Carmine Bee Eater by Sneeze Party, on Flickr

Northern Carmine Bee Eater by Sneeze Party, on Flickr

Sorbus
Apr 1, 2010
Finally got the covid and it has been really rainy here so I went shooting only once in September :(

Here's a jay from yesterday:
Eurasian jay by Eero Vuorinen, on Flickr

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Alvarado townsends warbler-9700

wildcat great horned owl-9732

Canyon Trail Coopers Hawk-9850

Canyon Trail Coopers Hawk-9858

probably most disappointing amount of poo poo in a making GBS threads bird pic.
Canyon Trail Coopers Hawk-9826

majour333
Mar 2, 2005

Mouthfart.
Fun Shoe
Midnight the neighborhood beach chicken, harasser of squirrels, wild turkey respecter

majour333 fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Oct 2, 2023

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

majour333 posted:

Midnight the neighborhood beach chicken, harasser of squirrels, wild turkey respecter

I need more details about what happens when an uppity chicken meets a for real wild turkey! Is Midnight only alive because the turkey didn't really care?

majour333
Mar 2, 2005

Mouthfart.
Fun Shoe
She runs like hell lol. The houses where Midnight roams abut a cemetery where the turkeys raise their young, so they pass through midnight's neighborhood maybe four times a day. She runs screaming in the mornings, and in the evenings they kinda silently ignore each other.

It's a parade of two to four adults and up to a dozen young, though I heard it was 8 or 9 lately.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Went for a walk and a longer walk in the same place, the overcast ones are from Thursday 14/9 and the sunny ones from Sunday 24/9

Eastern Great Egret

Little Black Cormorant

Australian Wood Ducks

White Faced Herons

Pacific Black Ducks and babies :3:

Australian Ravens or Little Ravens

Red Wattlebirds

Swoopy Boy just prior to Swoop season

Sulphur Crested Cockatoos love pine nuts

New Holland Honeyeater

Australasian Swamphen

Ravens and Cockatoos? They let me walk inside minimum focus distance and didn't give a poo poo

The Herons? Walk inside 30m of them and they start walking away, make eye contact with them from that distance and they gently caress off at speed. Those eyes look like they know things about me no mortal bird should.

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae

NTRabbit posted:

Those eyes look like they know things about me no mortal bird should.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

The Eastern Curlews are back :)

Tern v Puffer fish

Bonus video:
https://vimeo.com/870908699

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Those are some pretty gosh darn amazing shots :swoon:

I'm finally just about getting a handle on things after recently switching to mirrorless, and managed to get this beautiful Black Kite today.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Deck birds. The Stellar's Jays are always a pain to shoot, they're so chicken. So, I wore a tan jacket with a camo hat and sat 15 feet away yesterday, and they could care less. I had always thought they were digging thru the seed for the sunflower seeds, but no, it's the whole corn kernels they go for. They'll empty that feeder, which holds 4 cups, in 5 minutes.

Glare by B. B., on Flickr

Attitude by B. B., on Flickr

Digging by B. B., on Flickr

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

very good birds. Middle one made me laugh out louder

blue squares fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Oct 12, 2023

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

I rather like this one for motion.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Eclipse sleepy sparrow-0145

Eclipse Golden-crowned sparrow-0158

Electric Owl-

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
The colors on the sparrow photos are great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I like the owl. Cool idea!