Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

isndl posted:

Things can change with Constellation but it's RNG whether or not it happens in any given NG+. There's a meta plot of "how do you deal with crushing pointlessness in the face of infinity?" but nothing that expects you to engage with it. It's probably more generally useful as a soft reset whenever you're shaking up your mod list.

I guess I already dealt with that by just turning around and never entering the UNITY

And kinda funny that your whole ship zips into the nether realms? Like I hired a couple randos from a bar and lol welp sorry dudes welcome to the afterlife

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

The Slack Lagoon posted:

Starfield is really disappointing. It's not bad, but it's just bland. Most of my traveling is hitting L, R, X and showing up at where I need to be, and any actual travel is via cutscenes. All the POIs are the same. The thing that made Skyrim and Fallout so great was the environmental storytelling, which I've barely found any of in Starfield.

Like it's fun, but it's also aggressively mid.

The further I get away from the game the more I want to know what happened to constrain them so much, because the whole game seems like a compromise. You had years and years, and a stable dev team ( I think ), and freedom to make the kind of game you wanted to make...and this is what you made? This? Aside from some moments that really shine, like the ships breaking orbit or the beautifully detailed "nasapunk" art assets, there's a lot about this game that doesn't feel like anyone's passion project.

Like, I don't know who in a dev team makes sure that the parts of a game come together to express one vision, but that didn't happen well here. I walk the frontier and see a beautiful ship, that is just overflowing with character and charm, but what do I do with it? Where are the compelling gameplay mechanics and missions that make use of that ship, and bring it to the foreground.

Like, here's an off the cuff list of poo poo that didn't happen in Starfield:

My ship didn't get boarded, I never had to defend my own ship from boarders.
The ship never got badly damaged, maybe in a scripted event, so that I had to space walk around and it fix it
I never ended up stranded in a debris field of ruined ships and had to cobble together scrapyard parts for an emergency fix
I never had something like a xenomporph get in my ship so that I had to crawl into a vent and see parts of the ship I didn't normally visit

These are just examples, but it's like whoever was modeling and designing ships is excelling, and the people writing the gameplay generally aren't on the same level. There's exceptions, there's some fantastic quests, but we needed more of them.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Jack B Nimble posted:

This happened to me once, but I'm pretty sure it was an entirely accidental event by a straggler at the POI I was clearing out deciding to hitch a ride. There are videos of people with dinosaur guests too.

RangerKarl
Oct 7, 2013
I wonder if they figured having breakdown events would be too much friction for the average player. I bet a significant portion of players don't even want to interact with the space flying parts, let alone have more ship-centric gameplay.

Gordon Shumway
Jan 21, 2008

Jack B Nimble posted:

Is that the quest where you find Andreja? IIRC the quest has two places to go. So, just go to the other one? Because one of them has her, and then the other is an additional place to go. Are you sure the description doesn't tell you where to go? Maybe the world is one of those unhelpful names like "System III" where that's actually the world name?

I found Andreja and got the two artifacts, then I went to the Eye and they said I need to find a larger anomaly. It doesn't say where to go, so I looked it up without trying to spoil the quest, I'm supposed to go to Procyon III but there is no indicator saying to go there and no landing point for the quest on the planet.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

isndl posted:

This happened to me once, but I'm pretty sure it was an entirely accidental event by a straggler at the POI I was clearing out deciding to hitch a ride. There are videos of people with dinosaur guests too.

Yeah "enemy follows you into an adjacent cell" is standard for these games, so that just sounds like that happening.

I dunno, I'm playing cyberpunk now and in some ways Starfield is really showing how well it makes the ships into homes, in a way that the cars in cyberpunk aren't. You can return to your ship in starfield and feel safe, you can feel like you've come home, and that's a very powerful feeling in an RPG, a home you can take with you, that can be there for you throughout your journeys and isn't just some sideshow attraction you infrequently visit (like the apartments in Cyberpunk) , but it also makes me wish they'd done more with them.

I think Starfield really needed three or four tentpole quests that each took a couple of hours and really showed off some unique interactions, mechanics, or circumstances. There's glimpses of it, like when the hunter attacks the lodge and you have a running gun battle through New Atlantis, but something considerably longer, with even more flourish, would have gone a looong way towards filling out the basic Bethesda loop.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Gordon Shumway posted:

Been avoiding this thread to avoid story spoilers, but I've run into a bug and was wondering if there was a way to get around it. I did a bunch of other quests and side missions and just tried to come back to Into the Unknown, I had found Andreja and am now supposed to find a larger anomaly. The mission thing just says "Go to [...]" Now at first I thought I had to jump to a bunch of systems and get the right one for it to tell me I was in the right place, but after checking, it seems like it was supposed to have told me where to go. Is there a way around this bug or am I hosed until Bethesda patches the game?

There are some people who report just simply flying to Altair I fixes these bugs but for the most part it seems people have to fix it by just jumping the stage they're at via the console.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Gordon Shumway posted:

I found Andreja and got the two artifacts, then I went to the Eye and they said I need to find a larger anomaly. It doesn't say where to go, so I looked it up without trying to spoil the quest, I'm supposed to go to Procyon III but there is no indicator saying to go there and no landing point for the quest on the planet.

So, the first google result I found specified that same planet, but I don't know that those are the same for every playthrough. I would go double check with Vlad and make sure he doesn't direct you some place else.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

The Slack Lagoon posted:

Starfield is really disappointing. It's not bad, but it's just bland. Most of my traveling is hitting L, R, X and showing up at where I need to be, and any actual travel is via cutscenes. All the POIs are the same. The thing that made Skyrim and Fallout so great was the environmental storytelling, which I've barely found any of in Starfield.

Like it's fun, but it's also aggressively mid.

e: I got it for free buying and AMD processor that I was going to buy anyway. If I had bought the game I would be mad about buying it.

I've run into a few ransacked abandoned PoIs including at least one starstation that are eerie but contain no clues, environmental or textual about what happened. No enemies and a small random selection of resources and levelled items. In previous Bethesda games there would have been diary entries or system logs on computers or slates or voice recorders telling a short story about what happened to the inhabitants. In Starfield there's nothing.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

infernal machines posted:

I've run into a few ransacked abandoned PoIs including at least one starstation that are eerie but contain no clues, environmental or textual about what happened. No enemies and a small random selection of resources and levelled items. In previous Bethesda games there would have been diary entries or system logs on computers or slates or voice recorders telling a short story about what happened to the inhabitants. In Starfield there's nothing.

I think I found the same place and while it's very creepy, and I was fairly anxious thinking that something was going to happen, this was also on my second playthrough when I was little jaded, so I couldn't shake the feeling that really I'd just stumbled onto a station intended to be used in some quest some time, and since I wasn't there "when I was supposed to be" , it was just empty.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

RangerKarl posted:

I wonder if they figured having breakdown events would be too much friction for the average player. I bet a significant portion of players don't even want to interact with the space flying parts, let alone have more ship-centric gameplay.

It feels like so many edges were sanded off to make it possible to avoid interacting with the game's systems that a lot of the game exists for no reason.

Jack B Nimble posted:

I think I found the same place and while it's very creepy, and I was fairly anxious thinking that something was going to happen, this was also on my second playthrough when I was little jaded, so I couldn't shake the feeling that really I'd just stumbled onto a station intended to be used in some quest some time, and since I wasn't there "when I was supposed to be" , it was just empty.

I've been running into that more and more as I explore and I have the distinct impression there's just no payoff. This is the game.

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Oct 2, 2023

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

Does anyone else quick save before they do the temples so that they can do them 3-4 times before they complete them and move on with the game?

e: is there a mod that is like the opposite of the mod that completes the temple after the first light? Something that makes you have to hit like 50 of them?

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

TeenageArchipelago posted:

Does anyone else quick save before they do the temples so that they can do them 3-4 times before they complete them and move on with the game?

e: is there a mod that is like the opposite of the mod that completes the temple after the first light? Something that makes you have to hit like 50 of them?

You mean, you just do them repeatedly because you enjoy it? Couldn't be me, no. Might just be you!

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Jack B Nimble posted:

The ship never got badly damaged, maybe in a scripted event, so that I had to space walk around and it fix it
I never ended up stranded in a debris field of ruined ships and had to cobble together scrapyard parts for an emergency fix
I never had something like a xenomporph get in my ship so that I had to crawl into a vent and see parts of the ship I didn't normally visit

All the examples you gave would absolutely take away control from the player. Its like how enemies in skyrim don't hurl calm spells at you despite there being nothing mechanically to stop them. If you ship is fragile and you don't plan ahead you absolutely have to search through ship debris trying to acquire enough repair parts. The first time it happened to me and I managed to survive I kept like 200 mass worth of ship parts in my cargo hold in the future.

Agree with the temple thing. Its supposed to be something zen or the like but unless you are baked out of your mind it becomes tedious.

RangerKarl
Oct 7, 2013

infernal machines posted:

It feels like so many edges were sanded off to make it possible to avoid interacting with the game's systems that a lot of the game exists for no reason.

I've been running into that more and more as I explore and I have the distinct impression there's just no payoff. This is the game.
Shandification more like sandification amirite

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
This playthrough I've been finding a lot of ships floating that have their own self contained story. Anyone found some good ones? I found one where I think they were killed by ghosts, one that was like that cult from the 90s that mass suicided to get on a comet, and one where radiation had leaked.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
Prior to the launch of survival mode a lot of the settlement mechanics in fallout 4 were seen to be as superfluous if not moreso. Right now there are recent mods that add even more settlements to places like the red rockets on the map because they are just that vital in survival mode as safehouses/staging areas.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Tankbuster posted:

All the examples you gave would absolutely take away control from the player. Its like how enemies in skyrim don't hurl calm spells at you despite there being nothing mechanically to stop them. If you ship is fragile and you don't plan ahead you absolutely have to search through ship debris trying to acquire enough repair parts. The first time it happened to me and I managed to survive I kept like 200 mass worth of ship parts in my cargo hold in the future.

Agree with the temple thing. Its supposed to be something zen or the like but unless you are baked out of your mind it becomes tedious.

Ok but your example of searching through ship debris is spending five seconds scooping up the ship parts from what are effectively corpses. Yeah, I'm arguing for linear, bespoke set pieces that rail road the player, but that's what you have to do if your systems won't create engaging encounters organically. One of the best regarded quests in the game, entanglement, is exactly that, a linear set piece, and no one minds because it's well done. The game needs more Entanglement.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

i accidentally became a pirate

some randoms were trying to shoot alien bugs, missed completely, shot me instead while i was just standing there, then immediately surrendered their entire ship and its contents to me whilst telling me i was a filthy pirate and they'd report me to the cops

now i have a bounty on my head

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Jack B Nimble posted:

Ok but your example of searching through ship debris is spending five seconds scooping up the ship parts from what are effectively corpses. Yeah, I'm arguing for linear, bespoke set pieces that rail road the player, but that's what you have to do if your systems won't create engaging encounters organically. One of the best regarded quests in the game, entanglement, is exactly that, a linear set piece, and no one minds because it's well done. The game needs more Entanglement.

yeah, the problem right now is its' either bespoke one-and-done quest setpieces that are fun to fight in and allow you to approach combat in a variety of ways or the tiny pool of labs which you are done with just as you get started warming up. Space ship combat can be made more fun if you fight in an asteroid belt. I am lugging the armillary with me just so I can have more starborn to fight.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Immediately aftter getting my first power and now UC attacks me on sight for seemingly no reason

starfield

RangerKarl
Oct 7, 2013
I keep hitting a glitch where a hostile faction ship attacks me, only for me to board them and find only hostile civvy security (that my constelaborers get mad about killing).

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
My favorite "of course" Bethesda moment was killing some slugs in a vent with a shiv while stealthed and instantly setting the entire level hostile because the second slug saw me stab the first one.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Oh lawd he comin

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe

RangerKarl posted:

I keep hitting a glitch where a hostile faction ship attacks me, only for me to board them and find only hostile civvy security (that my constelaborers get mad about killing).

STOP loving ABOUT.
https://www.nexusmods.com/starfield/mods/4437
we doing "Poast ur autism chariots?"
okey

Like sure, I have made behemoth ships, but I want something that can land anywhere and not merge with the archetecture and block doors, aka, bgs hosed the poodle again wrt "it just working", I am certain there will be a "build yo own satellite/spaes stashun" dlc so limits on ships needing to land might be relaxed somewhat.
Also, to sidestep the absolute nonsense that entails going to all the shipyards to find the right dongle for your ship, get the spawn shopkeepers mod from the nexus, and blatt the "you now sell everything from every shipyard" batch file into their face. bingo, now you are only level locked for the esoteric ship parts.
build your ultimate capping ship, make your pansexual crew hyperviolent with the above mod, drop this onto your space radio and find some fools to pillage.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ZNjcWI2pB8
Like, and I cannot stress this hard enough

update :

staberind fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Oct 2, 2023

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

I love the shotguns in this game. Especially now that I have ballistics mastery with the 30 percent range bonus and being able to craft slugs. The shots almost reach sniper rifle ranges now. My favorite shotguns by far are the Big Bang and the Shotty. They have this amusing cartridge reloading mechanism. I知 pretty sure someone on the weapon team played Destiny because Big Bang is very similar to the Tractor Cannon. The Coachman is pretty satisfying as well. I知 looking forward to crafting the explosive shots.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

I found the space POIs the most interesting and the closest to Fallout/Skyrim-like dungeons. On land it feels like Cyberpunk encounters (1.0, not sure if they changed it in 2.0) where you either get a really boring nothingburger or an actual interesting and unique side story.

As for why the game ended up as it is, I'm firm beliver of the space sim curse. "the tech just wasn't there", or more likely, they had big ideas of a dynamic word but they couldn't make it work, or better yet, it just wasn't fun, so they had to compromise. The issue is the scale, space is big and empty and the only thing that they could've added to the feel of space travel is to add more cutscenes and try to hide the loading screens with said cutscenes, you would still basicaly zip around between points of interests. I keep thinking about how Freelancer did it best by basically cheating and making space unrealisticly small, but it actually felt fun moving (incredibly small) planet to planet and explore the (impossibly created) asteroid fields inbetween for kicks.

Making space travel work with gates or wormholes or whatnot would've kept the scale of the world while limiting the parts you can play in, giving you an idea of a continous world, but that would take away from the free exploration of the stars they wanted to do, then again, it's not like you can visit literally every star in the sky like in Elite and a subspace network thing would explain why only this handful of systems are visitable.

Bottom point the source of the problem are conflicting design philosophies and the reason we will never have the perfect space game.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Jack B Nimble posted:

You can return to your ship in starfield and feel safe, you can feel like you've come home, and that's a very powerful feeling in an RPG, a home you can take with you, that can be there for you throughout your journeys and isn't just some sideshow attraction you infrequently visit (like the apartments in Cyberpunk) , but it also makes me wish they'd done more with them.

Now that I've got the 2 story cockpit and some sweet 2x2 ops and living habs I agree, EXCEPT that the armory hab is so loving awful. I don't want to store anything there especially if ship changes will mess up the whole thing. It's so close.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Mill Village posted:

The Coachman is pretty satisfying as well. I知 looking forward to crafting the explosive shots.

I値l save you the effort on this one: just hit F9 instead :v:

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Jack B Nimble posted:

The game needs more Entanglement.

Entangled was fun for the first third and then it just keeps going and going.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

It needed to give you the ability to change at will.

Jack B Nimble posted:

I think Starfield really needed three or four tentpole quests that each took a couple of hours and really showed off some unique interactions, mechanics, or circumstances. There's glimpses of it, like when the hunter attacks the lodge and you have a running gun battle through New Atlantis, but something considerably longer, with even more flourish, would have gone a looong way towards filling out the basic Bethesda loop.

The faction quests seem to be where they put the most effort this time. Both the UC Vanguard and Crimson Fleet chains have unique setpiece events.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
I love my double-barreled shotgun that somehow loads 4 shots

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Say hi to the Tardigrade! She's the biggest small ship you'll ever see, with a class C reactor and four 2x1 habs inside a svelte 42 by 26 meter package. The only part glitching used was for two cosmetic windows. She has that sweet 150 max speed with class A engines, and she's right at the mass limit to maintain maximum maneuverability - adding 1 more mass will drop it to 99. Even if we were willing to take some losses there, she's also near the mass limit for the landing thrusters used. The Tardigrade pushes the limits of small ship design!

The Tardigrade uses four class C particle turrets as the main armament, but has lasers/EM secondary armaments for the times you need to keep someone alive for boarding! The shields and grav drive are actually class B because we don't particularly need anything bigger, so if we downgraded the turrets to B class we could reduce the reactor as well, but I like the big turrets. You can also see them looking out the cockpit side windows. :3:

One of my major design requirements for the Tardigrade was windows! If you look at most ship designs floating around, there are very few with portholes. Partly because it can delete things from a hab, but also because everyone wants to hang structural bits off the sides of the ship. It's great being able to look out and see local wildlife walking by - really cuts down on the feeling of living inside a box disconnected from the rest of the world.

Here's the only two glitched parts on the ship, which are cosmetic portholes. One because I realized the grav drive was hollow so why not, and the the other was because I wanted to get rid of an annoying computer eating up walkable space. That porthole has some clipping with the fuel tanks, but it shows off a clever bit of space usage that I'm proud of: it turns out that the M50 Ulysses fuel tank is stupidly mass efficient, and leaves room for an equipment plate! Spoilering because they're possible minor spoilers for the Main Quest and Crimson Fleet storylines respectively.

Hope you enjoyed the showcase! I'll be sad to see her go when its time to leave this universe behind.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

hobbesmaster posted:

I値l save you the effort on this one: just hit F9 instead :v:

Do they crash the game?

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
I keep blowing myself up with the hornet's nest shotgun.

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

about as compact as i could get 27 hab blocks into one ship with the stairs bridge

having a flying space mansion will be more important when we finally get harem mods

Martian
May 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
So Sona is stuck in this immense jungle on a world where no one can possibly find her or her parents when they were alive and they cannot hope to reach civilization themselves, but also there is a science centre that was clearly in operation until very recently literally 1000 meters from their hideout.

I know I shouldn't complain about these things because Bethesda, but it's very grating sometimes. And the strange thing is that at Sarah's crash site they actually remembered to not put any PoI's nearby, so why didn't they do the same at the second site!?

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

Ship building has grabbed me hard, it's easily the best part of the game as-is, especially with the various glitches to force-clip components to make things more interesting.

Shame there's so little to do with ships once you build them. Oh wow, I can go shrek the high level pirate ""fleet"" at Kryx... again. Such content, much wow. Not having "supercruise" or whatever for intra-system travel along with more space-based POIs, or the ability to either fly around on the surface or at least fly down to and manually land on the surface is a huge immersion and fun loss imo.

And why the hell do I see a loading screen after a long-rear end drive animation!? The game is installed on an NVME, and even consoles run SSDs now from my understanding, use the animation to load the new system so it's seamless ffs.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Meowywitch posted:

Immediately aftter getting my first power and now UC attacks me on sight for seemingly no reason

starfield

The bounty is 650c

They shoot on sight for like five space bucks. blew up my spaceship murdering like 5 innocents. ok guys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Oh it's probably because I accidentally killed somebody with Anti Grav

are you kidding me toddsworth?

Meowywitch fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Oct 2, 2023