Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

Someone is getting a visit from the Feds.

0dte OOM options are always the first place the cops look!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

mrmcd posted:

It’s so blatant, like if you’re at all subtle and don’t go for maximum profit they’ll never catch you.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

it's gonna turn out to be somebody's 12 year old kid

Baddog
May 12, 2001
Feel for the dude who sold those calls for 4 cents.

(had to have been an algorithm, prolly 99% it was automated and hedged from a firm, think they will be ok)

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

"This :airquote: algorithm uses neural nets there's no way to understand how it decided to do that :shrug: here is the incredibly sparse log output not in debug mode"

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Hadlock posted:

"This :airquote: algorithm uses neural nets there's no way to understand how it decided to do that :shrug: here is the incredibly sparse log output not in debug mode"

I'm talking about the other side of the trade, the loser. The market maker surely hedged it (but then someone else ate the loss, somewhere).

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

For someone that doesn't understand calls and contracts, how much money did they invest and how much did they gain?

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you

Skunkduster posted:

For someone that doesn't understand calls and contracts, how much money did they invest and how much did they gain?

It's in the Twitter X post: they made 456x on the original bet.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Skunkduster posted:

$22K -> $10.45M

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Fate Accomplice posted:

$22K -> $10.45M

Thanks for dumbing it down for me. I made a similar investment in Norwegian Air (NWARF) during the first few months of COVID when the stock plummeted thinking that COVID would be over in a couple months and the airline would bounce back. Boy, was I wrong about the timeline. Instead of turning 22K into 10.45M, I turned $22K into $1200. That went from a quick get-rich plan to a very long term investment just hoping to break even someday when I am diamond.

Skunkduster fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Sep 22, 2023

yummycheese
Mar 28, 2004

dang. you’ll struggle to see the humor in this post then.

https://twitter.com/irbezek/status/1704537898073088424

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

show me the Berlin-Brandenberg chart

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Does anyone subscribe to any good newsletters? _Are_ there any good newsletters?

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Shear Modulus posted:

Does anyone subscribe to any good newsletters? _Are_ there any good newsletters?

https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/authors/ARbTQlRLRjE/matthew-s-levine

Money Stuff. (it's free)

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

it's not good for tips but it's fantastic for understanding how market participants really act

cirus
Apr 5, 2011

mrmcd posted:

You can't trade on non public information! Only Congress is allowed to do that!

ARTPUP
Jun 7, 2013

Shear Modulus posted:

John Mauldlin's "Thoughts from the frontline" is still weekly and free, sometimes goes into odd topics.

I found this fund's blog informative - not in stock picks but in ways of thinking: https://collabfund.com/blog/

And this one's good but it's Canadian Stocks only: https://spbrunner.blogspot.com/ I don't know of anyone doing this for US stocks but I wish they would...

Bought 138 shares of American Coastal (ACIC) @ 7.52

Stock to watch: Op Gen (OPGN) - could go bankrupt by the end of Sept. - could get bought up by Thermo Fisher, maybe the pie-in-the-sky deal with China for 180 million goes through, who knows? Either sad disaster or a happy surprise...

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

To add another newsletter by a Matt: Matt Stoller’s BIG is about monopolies. There’s a ton of anti trust stuff happening right now so he’s got a lot to write about. Not specifically stock related, but touching on the market and our broader economics that affect stocks: https://www.thebignewsletter.com

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
Me in February 2021: BND seems like a safe option, that'll never fluctuate by more than like 50 cents

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Red posted:

Me in February 2021: BND seems like a safe option, that'll never fluctuate by more than like 50 cents

gonna make me dust off my march 2021 posts about bond yield risks and take another victory lap!

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Red posted:

Me, but July '23

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

I must have had some confused post from a couple years ago wondering what was holding bond funds up if rising rates would hurt them and the rate at the time was, uh, zero. Seemed like a banana peel on top of a staircase.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Shear Modulus posted:

Bumping others Matthew Levine's Bloomberg blog which can be a bit thick but really good and occasionally hilarious. I'm also subscribed to Calculated Risk but every since Odd Lots came out I've had a hard time with any traditional newsletters.

drk
Jan 16, 2005

Space Fish posted:

I must have had some confused post from a couple years ago wondering what was holding bond funds up if rising rates would hurt them and the rate at the time was, uh, zero. Seemed like a banana peel on top of a staircase.

The yield on BND was never zero (as in 0.0% or very close). Weirdly I cant find good data on historical yields of the fund, but it looks like it bottomed out around 1.5-2%

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

$BLK sitting at an interesting spot. World's largest asset manager and basically the industry partner for the Fed. It's a "high quality compounder" in that they have sustained high margins and earnings growth over time. Some light controversies this past year or two in their ESG policies and China dealings.

Now trading under 50mo and 200w SMAs. Even during the GFC it traded under the 200w SMA for less than 6 months. Possible upside catalyst just for headline value (not near term earnings value) if they're first to get a spot BTC ETF approved, which they very well might be. But as an asset manager BLK has a high correlation to SPY or VBIAX, so I guess this is only a ticker to be interested in if you're a market optimist. fwd p/e of 16 and div yield of > 3%. I like their retail products (commentary and ETFs).

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Shear Modulus posted:

It’s very niche but if ASX listed junior mining companies are your thing the Money of Mine podcast is absolutely top notch.

tumblr hype man
Jul 29, 2008

nice meltdown
Slippery Tilde

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

Bumping others Matthew Levine's Bloomberg blog which can be a bit thick but really good and occasionally hilarious. I'm also subscribed to Calculated Risk but every since Odd Lots came out I've had a hard time with any traditional newsletters.

Calculated Risk has been good historically, I haven't ponied up the money for the paid one though. I also have found myself reading it less and less over time, but that may be because I'm less exposed to the housing market since I changed roles at work.

Baddog
May 12, 2001
https://www.13d.com/

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

Someone convince me why intc is a bad long term investment

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Convince me they have a coherent leadership team and long term strategy that doesn't involve "too big to fail"

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
They're totally gonna nail 10nm under new leadership and not just dump money into stock buy backs.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.

Ubiquitus posted:

I kind of like it as a long term turnaround play. I guess I liked it more earlier this year when it was trading in the $25-$30 range.

pizzaclown
Oct 17, 2012

I truly miss reading WILTW

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shut up, Nick! You're not Twilight.

Ubiquitus posted:

If you go back a few pages youll find a pretty long discussion of this very thing. My conclusion was to stay the gently caress away, even if you feel like gambling their are better options out there.

drk
Jan 16, 2005

Ubiquitus posted:

INTC is my largest single stock holding, so certainly think its a good intermediate-long term investment.

That being said, here's the bear case.

Intel's current turnaround plan involves doing 5 nodes in 4 years (really this is more like 3 major nodes and two half nodes or + nodes). So far they have completed two of them (Intel 7 and very recently Intel 4). They are also attempting to become a third party fab during this process.

1) They could fail to deliver nodes on time. Intel's constant delays with 10nm are in pretty recent memory, it ended up shipping years late. Pushing semiconductor manufacturing to ever higher densities is getting harder and requires R&D efforts in many fields (its not just buy the latest ASML machine).

2) They could deliver nodes reasonably on time, but lose a ton of money in the process. Building out new cutting edge semiconductor fabs is very expensive, and trying to do it on an accelerated schedule is even more expensive. Is intel going to be able to turn a profit on its relatively short lived nodes? Intel 4 is now in high volume manufacturing, but that is going to be replaced by Intel 3, 20A, and 18A in the next 24 months or so if Intel remains on schedule.

3) They could fail to find enough big customers. Intel is building pretty aggressively building capacity for customers that dont yet exist. Onboarding customers like Qualcomm or Mediatek could provide volume without having too many issues with competition. But can they do deals with companies that more directly compete with them? Apple, NVIDIA, and AMD all do a lot of volume with TSMC but also compete directly with Intel in some or even many categories.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

DapperDraculaDeer posted:

If you go back a few pages youll find a pretty long discussion of this very thing. My conclusion was to stay the gently caress away, even if you feel like gambling their are better options out there.
For pure gambling it's pretty fun though. I've sold options on it in both directions this year. It seems to have relatively high premium making it useful for options selling.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

Oil stocks have tanked this week. Debating with myself whether to buy more in anticipation of a rebound or sell some of my high cost basis shares for tax loss harvesting.

DoubleT2172
Sep 24, 2007

Still have time to buy more at this price and sell the high cost shares in 31 days for tax loss harvesting!

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

does anyone here do DCF models? curious to hear your take on a hypothetical baseline company. let’s assume the company has 10% net profit margin forever, no inflation-adjusted revenue growth forever, and no inflation-adjusted cash build. it just prints its margin and puts excess cash into buybacks or dividends, literally forever. its revenue percent changes perfectly follow inflation/deflation.

at what p/e multiple would you value this company?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

pmchem posted:

does anyone here do DCF models? curious to hear your take on a hypothetical baseline company. let’s assume the company has 10% net profit margin forever, no inflation-adjusted revenue growth forever, and no inflation-adjusted cash build. it just prints its margin and puts excess cash into buybacks or dividends, literally forever. its revenue percent changes perfectly follow inflation/deflation.

at what p/e multiple would you value this company?

Well I guess it all depends on the assumptions. I used to work up cash flow models in the past but now just throw more back-of-the-envelope calculations into the spreadsheet. Good luck trying to figure out what sales look like five years out on even the simplest business. (Keynes was laughing about this a hundred years ago but we still do it because, if nothing else, it's a good gut check.)

Anyway, if I'm reading your hypothetical right, this is a company that is never unprofitable and whose profits will just grow at the rate of inflation until the heat death of the universe. That kind of sounds like TIPS, doesn't it? So my first thought would be you (1) figure out your expected long-run inflation rate, (2) add some kind of spread because hypothetical company isn't the US Treasury and its shares won't be as liquid as TIPS and (3) invert that for your P/E multiple. Yes, (1) is pretty difficult.

My second thought would be "this company shouldn't be public because under these assumptions it'd make a lot of sense to acquire it, lever it to hell and back, and enjoy what would likely be pretty excellent RoEs depending on how much it cost."

You can also do things like look at the Gordon Growth Model for simple cases but, again, all of this comes down to your assumptions.