Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

What a relief. I'll tell my sibling who has PTSD from working as a COVID nurse that they no longer have to be traumatized.

huh its the 2nd or 3rd week after the new Covid jab, and i thought i could get it with minimal tech or bureaucratic hiccups but no. lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Moderna is better, though, right?

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Beachcomber posted:

Between variants, infections, and the lag between development and what’s spreading by the time shots are ready to get in arms, it’s kind of a crapshoot. Moderna has a bit more active ingredient and seems to last a little longer with the trade off of slightly higher side effects at the time of inoculation.

So basically don’t wait if one or the other is available get it.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

I’ve heard mixing them is really the best solution. But I’m not a doctor so consider that as accurate as eating horse pills

naem
May 29, 2011

I’ve had pfive pffizzer pfvaxes and the only side effect has been some noticeable arm soreness and only this most recent one, which is reassuring that it’s doing something

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

i’m a pureblood, nothing but the finest SpikeVax for me

wouldn’t be caught dead with a drop of Cominarty :barf:

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
is that what the P jab is called?

also why they got to have special nicknames now, just keep letting people call it the [company-disease] jabs.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
I don't like 'jab' because that's what the trump brained ones call it.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Beachcomber posted:

It was, by a small but significant margin, but I'm not sure at this point - like someone else said, I haven't been tracking vaccine effectiveness as closely as I used to.

Personally, I'm going with Pfizer again because my experience with the Moderna side effects was brutal, but I think there is going to be a lot of individual variation with that. My first 3 COVID shots were Moderna, 4th was Pfizer, and the difference in side effects was night and day for me. For someone else their experience could be the exact opposite. :shrug:

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
My arm was killing me for a few days after the shots. Thankfully it's better a week later but drat.

KariOhki
Apr 22, 2008
I got the newest Moderna jab and the flu shot in the same arm about a week ago and other than some pain that made me have to adjust my sleeping position for a few days, I didn't get any side effects. This was COVID shot number 5 overall, all Moderna, never got side effects beyond the first one where I was a bit more tired than usual that afternoon.

Also got a tetanus booster in my other arm and that one's been more itchy and the shot site has stayed a bit tougher feeling longer. Should've asked for Tdap while I was there too and really been powered up...

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
It would've been nice if any of the pharmacy COVID pre-screenings for the new shot asked "did you have COVID in the last 90 days?" as a disqualifier instead of me spending a week hunting down an appointment, going in, and then being told I can't have the shot. :negative:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Yeah especially since national guidance is that you’re good to go as soon as “isolation has been discontinued”.

https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/covid-19/downloads/pre-vaccination-guidelines.pdf

If pharmacies want to make their own rules, they ought to be upfront about it.

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH
The pharmacy where I tried to get my flu shot got weird last year because I had the monkeypox shot shortly before trying to get it and they wouldn't give me the flu shot, and they also told me I absolutely needed to cancel the covid shot I had coming up at a different pharmacy. I did not. The other pharmacy was not filled with crazy people thankfully and I got all my shots in a timely manner.

The lady behind me also said under her breath "embarassing" after I mentioned the monkeypox shot, I really should have made a loud as gently caress gay scene tbh, get that lady really embarrassed.

She was a loving boomer too, probably filled to the brim with Hep C.

Private Cumshoe fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Oct 2, 2023

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

what does a loud as gently caress gay scene consist of

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH
Mentioning the monkeypox shot at all, apparently

they want us dead

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Being vaccinated against orthopoxviruses is cool & good.

I would have accepted the Aventis Pasteur Smallpox Vaccine that’s been in deep freeze since 1956 if they’d let me.

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

pencilhands posted:

what does a loud as gently caress gay scene consist of

I don’t know, like a spontaneous rave? Whatever Private Cumshoe* meant, sounds like it would be a fun party that Judgy McFuckface, the bigot in line, would not enjoy.

*Disclaimer: Private Cumshoe may not actually be the stereotypical fun-time partying gay dude as seen on popular media. He may actually just want to be responsible when it comes to prairie dog handling, or just in case he meets the love of his life at board game night, or wants to be responsible in case of an unending string of random hookups, who gives a poo poo. Whatever the case, that lady is an rear end in a top hat.

Although I would suggest that of anyone runs into someone being all judgy about the monkey pox vaccine, you should definitely spin some sob story about taking custody of a pair of prairie dogs, that may have monkey pox, after their original owner died of leukemia or something.

Bored fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Oct 2, 2023

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH
the new smallpox vaccine owns btw, no scar like the old school 70s one, I'll happily get another if needed for monkeypox and kind of fear smallpox returning in my lifetime anyway :ohdear:

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

Bored posted:

I don’t know, like a spontaneous rave? Whatever Private Cumshoe* meant, sounds like it would be a fun party that Judgy McFuckface, the bigot in line, would not enjoy.

yeah it sounded cool i was trying to picture it in my head but not sure what direction to take

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH
I'm not even talented enough to do jazz hands :(

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

Private Cumshoe posted:

I'm not even talented enough to do jazz hands :(

So it’s for prairie dog care

astral
Apr 26, 2004

KariOhki posted:

I got the newest Moderna jab and the flu shot in the same arm about a week ago and other than some pain that made me have to adjust my sleeping position for a few days, I didn't get any side effects. This was COVID shot number 5 overall, all Moderna, never got side effects beyond the first one where I was a bit more tired than usual that afternoon.

Also got a tetanus booster in my other arm and that one's been more itchy and the shot site has stayed a bit tougher feeling longer. Should've asked for Tdap while I was there too and really been powered up...

The T in Tdap is for Tetanus. Are you sure you didn't get Tdap?

KariOhki
Apr 22, 2008

astral posted:

The T in Tdap is for Tetanus. Are you sure you didn't get Tdap?

Nope, just tetanus. They're two separate things on the selection and I swear the whole of "Tdap" wasn't written out when I scheduled it, or I would've probably just gotten that. The pharmacist person was talking about the "p" in it (pertussis) how people forget to boost that one, I guess, but that's not something separate on their list.

I'll remember in another 10 years or so do to it right.

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH
I should have just lingered around the pharmacy and made fun of whatever the hell she was going to talk about re: medical issues with the pharmacist

Love to violate the medical privacy of others and berate them it's a fun hobby

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark
Purely anecdotal but I've heard from multiple folks in my circle that the latest strain doesn't show up in tests until well after you've already got symptoms. Edit: like a few days after symptoms show up.

Goon hivemind: Total BS or is there a nugget of truth to it?

chainchompz fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Oct 2, 2023

DominoKitten
Aug 7, 2012

chainchompz posted:

Purely anecdotal but I've heard from multiple folks in my circle that the latest strain doesn't show up in tests until well after you've already got symptoms. Edit: like a few days after symptoms show up.

I did see a study recently that suggests rapids are a coin flip until the third and fourth day of symptoms:

CIDRAP: Evolving peak SARS-CoV-2 loads relative to symptom onset may influence home-test timing

The New Normal: Delayed Peak SARS-CoV-2 Viral Loads Relative to Symptom Onset and Implications for COVID-19 Testing Programs

“Median SARS-CoV-2 viral loads, as measured by polymerase chain reaction cycle threshold (Ct) and antigen concentrations, rose from symptom onset, peaking on the fourth or fifth day of symptoms. Estimated rapid antigen test sensitivity was 30.0% to 60.0% on the first day, 59.2% to 74.8% on the third, and 80.0% to 93.3% on the fourth.”

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

chainchompz posted:

I know 3 people positive in the last month.

Each one took daily rapids as soon as symptoms started, but did not get a positive until day 3-5.

Were they not contagious before then? I don’t see how they couldn’t be, with sore throats and snot flying out their nose. So idk what the gently caress is up but yea my anec-data says this one is a slow roller

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Crazyweasel posted:

I know 3 people positive in the last month.

Each one took daily rapids as soon as symptoms started, but did not get a positive until day 3-5.

Were they not contagious before then? I don’t see how they couldn’t be, with sore throats and snot flying out their nose. So idk what the gently caress is up but yea my anec-data says this one is a slow roller

They’re contagious, just not producing enough virus to pop on the old nasal swab tests until well into infection.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Welp, got the vid. Can't smell poo poo and feels like I have a ton of poo poo in my lungs. Taking Paxlovid and OTC flu stuff. I think I'm on day 4 or 5 of this

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread

Dr. Fraiser Chain posted:

Welp, got the vid. Can't smell poo poo and feels like I have a ton of poo poo in my lungs. Taking Paxlovid and OTC flu stuff. I think I'm on day 4 or 5 of this

Good luck goon
Get well soon, I mean it

eig
Oct 16, 2008

sooo, the norovax got approved for 12+ up after we all just got our new MRNA shots. can someone smarter than me can explain if and when we can get that shot too :negative:

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

eig posted:

sooo, the norovax got approved for 12+ up after we all just got our new MRNA shots. can someone smarter than me can explain if and when we can get that shot too :negative:

if you mean novavax, you already got an updated covid vax

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH
My sister sounds more on the verge of death than usual, nonstop horrible coughing, has permabronchitis from smoking and drinking without much stopping.

She doesn't believe in vaccines :angel:

Or basic hygiene, sleeping, nutrition, or eating much in general, but the cough is way worse and I bet it's covid lol

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Due to circumstances beyond my control I had to take a 3 hour bus ride, then drive 6 hours with my elderly and sick parents, then spend several days with them shuttling them to medical appointments and finally catch a flight home. I was masked the whole time but I know that it's still a dice roll.

YOURFRIEND
Feb 3, 2009

You're an asshole, Mr. Grinch
You really are a cunt
You're as cuddly as a cockring
and charming being a shitheel

FUCK YOURFRIEND!
My dad made me promise not to get the updated vaccine in exchange for him actually going to the hospital to figure out why he's wasting away into a skeleton. Gonna get it anyway tho

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

The 5G EAS test yesterday activated my nanobots and now I have covid for the first time :(

No symptoms though, just positive PCR taken for an unrelated hospital stay.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Foxfire_ posted:

The 5G EAS test yesterday activated my nanobots and now I have covid for the first time :(

No symptoms though, just positive PCR taken for an unrelated hospital stay.

I really hate that I’m the one to have to tell you this but it’s not covid.

https://twitter.com/GinaShirah81815/status/1708314727422513629

I’m sure brains are tasty though.

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH
Most offal is fine if it's prepared correctly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Private Cumshoe posted: