Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose

Chris James 2 posted:

Checking my Letterboxd to refresh my memory on stuff I loved, outside of the top 10 (Saw X is my top 3 for the year period, def didn't need a refresher for that):

Saw X
Beau is Afraid
Soft Liquid Center*
No One Will Save You
Enys Men
Talk to Me
Scream 6
Evil Dead Rise
Infinity Pool
Project Wolf Hunting
M3GAN
Beaten to Death
The Bigfoot Trap
Spoonful of Sugar
Brooklyn 45
Divinity*
Sick
Godless: The Eastfield Exorcism
Brightwood
Influencer
The Passenger
El Conde
Cobweb
Trim Season*
Tearsucker
We Might Hurt Each Other
The Wrath of Becky
The Angry Black Girl and Her Monster
Malum
Unwelcome
Huesera: The Bone Woman
The Elderly
Wintertide*

* are stuff I saw in film festivals and am not quite sure got wide release outside of that yet. Beaten to Death, Bigfoot Trap, Brightwood, Tearsucker and We Might Hurt Each Other I saw in festivals and know have gotten VOD releases since

Thanks good stuff also

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

feedmyleg posted:

I want to start October off with a schlocky horror western, which is slim pickins. What should I go with?

Tremors 4: The Legend Begins

Ginger Snaps Back

From Dusk Till Dawn 3: The Hangman’s Daughter

Sundown: vampire in retreat

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

feedmyleg posted:

I want to start October off with a schlocky horror western, which is slim pickins. What should I go with?
The Burrowers is both schlocky and good!

The Pale Door is schlocky and bad, but stars literally all the "that guys" you could ask for.

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

No One Will Save You is loving awesome and the ending is WILD and hilarious and I love this movie so much

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It’s an alien classic.

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

A fat guy, a watermelon, and a stack of magazines?
Family.
I got my final disc from Netflix, RIP to a great library

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I believe I still have my last disc from over a decade ago: Paranormal Entity.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
videodrome rules

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I’m watching Body Melt. Someone in the October Challenge thread criticized it for filling time with bad comedy about normal Australians, and on the one hand I understand the complaint but on the other hand I’m now reconsidering my view of Australians.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I believe I still have my last disc from over a decade ago: Paranormal Entity.

I had Timecop for like 3 years straight, and I was still paying monthly.

Stryder
Oct 3, 2002

Gripweed posted:

I’m watching Body Melt. Someone in the October Challenge thread criticized it for filling time with bad comedy about normal Australians, and on the one hand I understand the complaint but on the other hand I’m now reconsidering my view of Australians.

I love me some Ausploitation and Body Melt made a lot more sense after I learned it started life as an anthology then someone said, "yeah nah, just make it all one story, mate."

Speaking of anthologies, I just got a Shudder email and they made ANOTHER V/H/S?? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ke20dnbwZXs

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Yeah dawg.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Recommend me some Ozsploitation films from the 70s and 80s. Nothing with grody stuff just like some nice relaxing horror.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I was going to say Long Weekend because that movie loving rules but yeah there's a kangaroo roadkill scene if you're squeamish. My understanding is they just filmed an already-dead kangaroo getting run over and didn't kill it for the movie, but still gross.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Stryder posted:

I love me some Ausploitation and Body Melt made a lot more sense after I learned it started life as an anthology then someone said, "yeah nah, just make it all one story, mate."

Oh drat, yeah that’s actually super obvious now that I’m looking for it. And would’ve worked much better.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Hollismason posted:

Recommend me some Ozsploitation films from the 70s and 80s. Nothing with grody stuff just like some nice relaxing horror.

I just watched Razorback (1984) yesterday and that's a real loving good one, basically Ozploitation Jaws about a giant killer boar.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

I just watched Razorback (1984) yesterday and that's a real loving good one, basically Ozploitation Jaws about a giant killer boar.

Yeah that's a real good one.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

watched Fire In The Sky last night. the abduction sequences are unreal and the whole thing is just gorgeous - the setting and jobs all made me think "oh this is what Mandy looks like without all the red lights"

it's weird I had slept on it. alien horror rocks

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

alf_pogs posted:

watched Fire In The Sky last night. the abduction sequences are unreal and the whole thing is just gorgeous - the setting and jobs all made me think "oh this is what Mandy looks like without all the red lights"

it's weird I had slept on it. alien horror rocks

Now watch Communion just watch that scene on loop for 90 minutes

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012

Hollismason posted:

Next of Kin is a great spooky Gothic estate flick that for some reason ends with a set piece that wouldn't be out of place in The Hitcher

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I encourage people to use our new sub forum, which I am just now being made aware of despite union contracts. I posted a thread fight for the four franchises.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

My 11 year old just referenced "Jason vs Freddy the Kruger", I guess I'm putting him up for adoption

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Opopanax posted:

My 11 year old just referenced "Jason vs Freddy the Kruger", I guess I'm putting him up for adoption

That's Freddy's legitimate title.

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Opopanax posted:

Freddy the Krug
Freddy the Krug
Silly killy nightmare who loves to cut, he's
Freddy the Krug
Freddy the Krug
Thrilly killy sweater wear-y scare

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Hollismason posted:

I encourage people to use our new sub forum, which I am just now being made aware of despite union contracts. I posted a thread fight for the four franchises.

From the main forum list, which forum is it nested under?

I can see the post in announcements about it, but I can’t see it in the main forum list.

Is it because the new subforum is itself a ghost?!

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Baron von Eevl posted:

Now watch Communion just watch that scene on loop for 90 minutes

I adore Communion!! the peekaboo scene is burned into my brain

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Finally saw The Exorcist for the first time, in theaters. Still striking seeing scenes that would be hard to get away with these days, and all the 70s cigarette smoking is hilarious. Just made me regret Comedy Central pumping Repossessed in my head multiple times as a kid, does a lot to suck the air out. Funny that Blair ended up starring in a parody.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Hollismason posted:

Brainblast.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Opopanax posted:

His middle name is just 'die', but apparently your kid already speaks German? Suspicious :raise:

Stryder
Oct 3, 2002

Hollismason posted:

last time this topic came up, I recommended Turkey Shoot from 1982. I discovered it on Shudder last year and it's starts as just another take on The Most Dangerous Game/Running Man but then gets totally bonkers. Best to go into it blind because there's one part that literally made me :lol: and shout, "NO loving WAY!" The hero is played by Steve Railsback, best known as the star of Lifeforce and his costar is Olivia Hussey, AKA Juliet from the Zefirelli Romeo & Juliet that we all had to watch in high school.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Takes No Damage posted:

His middle name is just 'die', but apparently your kid already speaks German? Suspicious :raise:

Should be fine, nobody who speaks German could be an evil kid

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Opopanax posted:

:(

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Opopanax posted:

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Talk To Me was solid as a rock. great FX and makeup work on that one kid. not life-changing but I'll watch whatever they make next

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

alf_pogs posted:

Talk To Me was solid as a rock. great FX and makeup work on that one kid. not life-changing but I'll watch whatever they make next

A prequel and a sequel

quote:

In August 2023, Danny and Michael Philippou revealed that they had already completed principal photography on a prequel film, with the story exploring Duckett's backstory which leads into the character's introduction in the original movie. Production was completed consecutively, from the perspective of screenlife storytelling through mobile phones and social media. Sunny Johnson features as Duckett. The filmmakers stated that they intend to release this project in the future. Additionally, the Philippous confirmed plans to develop a sequel, stating that they've already written sequences for the project.[44][45] Later that month, A24 announced that a sequel titled Talk 2 Me was in development; with the studio releasing the official logo at that same time.[46] Danny and Michael Philippou will return as co-directors, from a script written by returning writers Danny and Bill Hinzman.[47][46]

And also a Street Fighter film for Legendary (the Kong/Godzillaverse producers) https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/street-fighter-danny-michael-philippou-video-game-film-1235403178/

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat

Stryder posted:

last time this topic came up, I recommended Turkey Shoot from 1982. I discovered it on Shudder last year and it's starts as just another take on The Most Dangerous Game/Running Man but then gets totally bonkers. Best to go into it blind because there's one part that literally made me :lol: and shout, "NO loving WAY!" The hero is played by Steve Railsback, best known as the star of Lifeforce and his costar is Olivia Hussey, AKA Juliet from the Zefirelli Romeo & Juliet that we all had to watch in high school.

I’ve been meaning to watch this for a minute and completely forgot so thanks for the reminder to put it on the list this year.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

Is it worth watching all the Saw movies? I saw the first two back in the day and haven’t seen any others but it looks like most of them are on Amazon. I recently watched through the entire Friday the 13th and Nightmare on Elm Street franchise so I’m no stranger to mixed bag sequels.

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

A fat guy, a watermelon, and a stack of magazines?
Family.
I tried watching them all recently and I made it through 4 before I threw in the towel. Maybe 4 was just really bad but it didn’t feel fun anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Stryder posted:

it’s funny that this is the frame of reference you used for Hussey in this thread and not Black Christmas hahaha