Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003
Well none of the good pharmacies are getting it anytime soon, so I'm just going in to the chain grocery store pharmacy tomorrow at like 8:30a hopefully people stopping by before work will be done and it'll be reasonably quiet inside.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Nickelodeon this is your chance to bring back gameshows for kids, winner gets vaccinated

BOGO LOAD
Jul 1, 2004

"You know I always had trouble really chewing the fat with my pops. Just listen to him..."

U-DO Burger posted:

Nickelodeon this is your chance to bring back gameshows for kids, winner gets vaccinated

Imagining a Double Dare reboot where kids get covered in slime while swabbing an enormous nose trying to fish out a red flag.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
:pirate:

https://www.lowyinstitute.org/the-interpreter/surprising-link-between-piracy-covid-19 posted:

The surprising link between piracy and Covid-19
(..)
lockdowns
(..)

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

U-DO Burger posted:

what happens to the loser?

celadon
Jan 2, 2023

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

what happens to the loser?

::puts flashlight under face and talks in spooky voice::

they get vvvvaaaaaaaccccciiiinnaateeeddd

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Zugzwang posted:

Sooo has a single person here managed to get their under-5 kiddo the new shot, or even heard of someone who has?

nope. can't find anything in greater boston at the moment.

and i got my kid into two vax trials. i'm not bad at finding this stuff out. :shrug:

some of the word around here is to check on oct. 2 at some of the biggies, like mass general and boston children's, but who knows.

shazbot
Sep 20, 2004
Ah, hon, ya got arby's all over my acoustic wave machine.
early on in the vaccine some guy got multiple vaxxes using a fake silicone arm. you could probably do this and extract the vax and give a small portion to your child.

in Minecraft

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
just tell em your kid is a benjamin button; he's actually your dad. hipaa means they can't question this.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Insanite posted:

nope. can't find anything in greater boston at the moment.

and i got my kid into two vax trials. i'm not bad at finding this stuff out. :shrug:

some of the word around here is to check on oct. 2 at some of the biggies, like mass general and boston children's, but who knows.

Mass general is going to change their policy so you're not allowed to ask your provider to vaccinate your or your child anymore, please respect the policy

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

celadon posted:

lmao

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

celadon posted:

Comically huge vaccine needle moving downward toward the contestants as they race to swab a giant nose

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

Computer Serf posted:

viral autoimmune hepatitis? immune evasion by binding to bilirubin?

quote:

Furthermore, CD8 T-cell dominant hepatitis induced by coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) vaccination has also been recently reported [3].

wow antivax much

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7285169831345704234

should people over 200 pounds ask for a longer needle to make sure the vaccine gets into their muscle instead of their fat? studies are mixed

Zantie
Mar 30, 2003

Death. The capricious dance of Now You Stop Moving Forever.
So out of morbid curiosity I've been periodically checking the Kaiser app for updates on the COVID vaccine. Previously it's stated that they will not have any doses available until October 1st.

Logged in today to check, it had me answer a couple things like "I'm not allergic to any of the ingredients" which is pretty standard. Then for an appointment it asks "Which locations work for you?"

I don't see any immediately close by so I select "Near Me" and enter my zip. It blinks and returns to me: "Invalid ZIP code"

Going back to All Locations the closest one is ~70 miles away. lol

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Zantie posted:

So out of morbid curiosity I've been periodically checking the Kaiser app for updates on the COVID vaccine. Previously it's stated that they will not have any doses available until October 1st.

Logged in today to check, it had me answer a couple things like "I'm not allergic to any of the ingredients" which is pretty standard. Then for an appointment it asks "Which locations work for you?"

I don't see any immediately close by so I select "Near Me" and enter my zip. It blinks and returns to me: "Invalid ZIP code"

Listen here, Jane.

https://twitter.com/POTUS/status/1478761964327297026

Oh wait wrong message. I mean that you should coordinate with your county health department to do laundry.

Oops! Wrong plague.

Uh, how about,

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/09/22/well/covid-vaccine-booster-insurance.html posted:

“Our message is simple,” a representative for the Department of Health and Human Services said. “If you are being turned away for no coverage, please call your insurance for details about in-network coverage to receive the updated COVID-19 vaccine.”

Zantie
Mar 30, 2003

Ha! I had to read that twice, goddamn

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Zantie posted:

don’t expect any soon, Kaiser workers started striking today

Zantie
Mar 30, 2003

I'm not even planning to get an mRNA vaccine again so not getting a shot anytime soon is easy to manage ;)

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

So what are the thread's thoughts on central heating/ac, in hotels? Turn it off, or is it OK if you have an air filter running?

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021
Just want to put all three of those related Nate Holdren / Death Panel pieces together for easy clicking and reading and linking. I set aside a big chunk of time this afternoon to sit down and go through them all together without any distractions, and they really felt like essential reading. Thanks Zugzwang and Tzen for sharing and highlighting them. So many insightful quotes and concepts expressed very clearly and passionately.

https://blog.petrieflom.law.harvard.edu/2022/03/21/depoliticizing-social-murder-covid-pandemic/
https://www.deathpanel.net/transcripts/social-murder-with-nate-holdren
https://www.deathpanel.net/transcripts/s23-how-capitalism-kills-covid-and-social-murder

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021

icantfindaname posted:

So what are the thread's thoughts on central heating/ac, in hotels? Turn it off, or is it OK if you have an air filter running?

I think the guidance is still to try to avoid those however you can - if you can't avoid the trip entirely, try to get a motel without central air, and if you can't do that, tape up the vents (there was a twitter thread linked in one of the old threads with specific advice and steps regarding making hotel rooms safer, I can't seem to find it right now). Think of the room as a tub, the air purifier as a drain, and the central air as a faucet - the drain will help keep the tub from filling up but you're still getting blasted with water (disease).

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Platystemon posted:

Uh, how about,

Our message is simple [starts laughing like the predator]

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

happy Anniversary of Trump getting Covid

going to Walter Reed hospital

Kellyanne Conway’s daughter breaking the news on TikTok that her mom had Covid

campaign manager bill Stepien testing positive

debate coach Chris Christie testing positive

3 journalists in the White House pool

senator Thom tillis

5 people from the rose garden reception of Amy Coney Barrett

there bring more Covid cases in the White House than all of Vietnam

the night of long swabs

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

hey remember when dozens of people were cursing Trump in Amharic

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

after a day and a half this tweet has 260,000 likes

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
having been the one who brought up the topic, I do want to throw out there that as far as ways to "deal" with the issue, I rely heavily on the written word to backstop my memory. I write things down incessantly, whether it's as simple as "what to do in the next three hours, in order", or keeping a group chat with just me and my wife called "Calendar" where we post what we want to do in the coming weekend, in two weeks, or even reserving a date in the next six months. I've carried a small notepad with me since about 2016 when I started to keep a budget and would write down all my expenses to keep track of them, and when I don't have that handy (or can't find a good time to write) I just tap out a little note to myself on the phone.

At work, I write down everything I ever do, and it has saved my rear end on multiple occasions from being able to draw upon an entire history of a project and pick it right back up at moment's notice, or being able to cover my rear end that, yes, I'd been following-up with the other team every day for the last two weeks and it isn't my loving fault that nothing got done since

as with all advice, this is not applicable to everyone, but maybe it will help someone

Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

emgeejay posted:

after a day and a half this tweet has 260,000 likes

It’s probably nothing, that’s probably fine

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
Article on the what and why of pediatric vaccines (in full):

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2023/10/02/kids-covid-vaccine-shortage/ posted:

Pediatricians, parents struggle to get updated covid vaccine for kids

The troubled rollout of updated coronavirus vaccines is proving especially challenging for physicians and parents seeking to immunize children — a reflection of distribution delays, shortages at pharmacies and financial obstacles confronting pediatric practices.

The federal government is no longer buying and distributing all vaccines, unleashing a host of complications as the new shots, recommended for everyone older than 6 months, hit the private market in mid-September. The updated vaccine is tailored to provide a shield of protection against coronavirus variants in circulation and arrives as the fall respiratory illness season dawns and an expected winter covid uptick looms.

The issues have been pronounced for pediatric vaccines, which come in different dose size and packaging.

Elias Kass, a Seattle-area pediatrician, said he sees a disconnect between federal officials stressing the importance of getting vaccinated and the experiences of his patients, who must reschedule appointments because the practice doesn’t have enough information about when vaccines will arrive.

“Nobody is acknowledging the delay in pediatric vaccines, nobody is explaining it, nobody is giving updated timelines,” he wrote in an email last week. “The number of babies and kids who have tested positive in the last week or two is incredibly depressing. This rollout should have happened months ago.”

Mandy Cohen, director of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, urged patience.

“Manufacturers and distributors were getting out the adult vaccines first. So that was what was shipping in the first number of days,” Cohen told reporters Thursday. “The supply is filling out and make sure that you’re calling ahead to your pediatrician or your pharmacy to see if the vaccine is available and if not, check back again.”

The difficulties shoring up defenses for the youngest Americans against the coronavirus are the latest illustration of the nation’s byzantine, decentralized health-care system.

When federal health officials recommended the updated coronavirus vaccine for everyone 6 months and older, officials cited data showing that infants, along with older adults, have the highest rates of covid-associated hospitalizations. In addition, most children younger than 5 hospitalized for the disease had no underlying medical conditions. Even though children have a low risk of severe outcomes from covid-19, public health officials say it remains imperative to use vaccines to save lives from preventable diseases.

Uptake of previous coronavirus shots was low for eligible children, with fewer than 1 in 5 receiving the most recent booster, according to the CDC. Experts worry the rate for the updated vaccine will plunge further if families continue having troubles with access.

Doctors say they generally prefer Moderna’s single-dose vial because it reduces potential for waste. But some parents and doctors said Moderna’s vaccine for children younger than 5 has been especially hard to find.

The CDC recommends that children younger than 5 previously vaccinated against the coronavirus should receive one or two doses of the updated vaccines from Moderna or from Pfizer and its German partner, BioNTech, and that doses from the same manufacturer be used.

Jamie Leonardi, a mother of two in the Pittsburgh area, has hit repeated road blocks trying to get her 4-year-old daughter, Juliet, her second Moderna dose.

Leonardi called her pediatric practice, which has more than 250 providers. It lacked vaccine and offered no information about when it might be available. She had no luck with her county health department, which holds regular vaccination clinics, or with pharmacies and a supermarket.

She is worried because there have already been classroom exposures for Juliet, who is in all-day pre-K, and her older daughter, Juno, 7.

She spotted on social media that Walgreens had the Moderna pediatric doses, but her insurance plan told her the pharmacy chain was not in network and shots would not be covered.

“CDC is messaging everybody to go get your vaccine, no problem,” Leonardi said. “But, no, vaccines are not there.”

Moderna began shipping pediatric doses last week, according to one industry official and one federal health official familiar with distribution, speaking on the condition of anonymity to discuss private conversations. Moderna did not respond to questions about distribution of its pediatric doses.

Pediatricians said Pfizer had burdensome requirements for the youngest age group — 6 months to 4 years — with larger minimum orders than Moderna required and three-dose vials that must be used the same day. And, at first, it appeared that pediatricians giving shots to the youngest group would not get refunds from Pfizer for unused doses until May 2024.

“Pediatricians can’t afford to be a bank and loan Pfizer money so that we can stock the vaccine and ask for a credit later,”
said Sandy Chung, president of the American Academy of Pediatrics. The academy and the CDC are hosting a town hall Wednesday for members to address coronavirus vaccine recommendations and distribution issues.

Hearing the demands for greater flexibility, Pfizer recently changed its refund policies, said company spokeswoman Kit Longley. Offices can now return unused doses of vaccines for that age group, including partially used vials, at any time and receive credit within 60 days.

“We recognize both the importance and the complexity of pediatric vaccination and wanted to ensure that pediatric offices did not have hurdles to providing vaccine to their patients,” Longley said in an email.

A bigger problem for pediatricians is trying to estimate how many doses to buy upfront while waiting to learn how much insurance companies will reimburse.

Several major health insurance providers that together cover hundreds of millions of Americans told Health and Human Services Secretary Xavier Becerra in a meeting on Wednesday and in a letter that lingering coverage and cost issues in the initial days of the rollout of adult vaccines are largely resolved.

While that may address issues for adults seeking vaccine at pharmacies, pediatricians say they aren’t getting needed payment information from insurance plans.

Atlanta pediatrician Reshma Chugani, part of a two-doctor practice, said she cannot stock Pfizer vaccine because insurance plans’ online systems do not indicate what insurance will pay. On Friday, she received an updated fee schedule through Oct. 14 from one major insurance plan that does not even list the coronavirus vaccine, she said.

Coronavirus vaccine uptake among children has been abysmal, Chugani said, “but if we have to fight for payment from insurance companies, it’s going to be even worse.”

Chugani and other pediatricians are concerned because parts of the country, especially the South, are experiencing increasing coronavirus cases. Some children’s hospitals are seeing high volumes of patients in emergency departments because of another respiratory virus, RSV — respiratory syncytial virus — Chugani said.

Some critics said public health officials should have made updated coronavirus vaccines available for children before the start of the school year, which began as cases and hospitalizations were rising nationwide.

In Seattle, Kass said he was able to order Moderna pediatric doses a week ago for his two-doctor practice but couldn’t schedule appointments because he could not find out when doses were arriving. Late Thursday night, he received notification that vaccine was arriving the next day.

“We ordered 500 doses, and the UPS truck pulled up with 100 doses,” Kass said Friday. But the practice had already paused scheduling shots for 300 children, he said. About 30 to 40 children who happened to be getting flu shots Friday were able to get coronavirus vaccines at the same time, he said.

“Patience doesn’t help us with our planning for patients,” he said. “We need information.”

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

https://www.nhpr.org/health/2023-10-02/nh-no-longer-offering-free-telehealth-program-for-covid-antiviral-drug-paxlovid posted:

NH no longer offering free telehealth program for COVID antiviral drug Paxlovid

(the federal program still applies)

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
Someone didn't learn the Trump lesson of no testing = no cases. Excited to see the results ngl.

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-66963982 posted:

Covid will 'continue to surprise us', warns health official
Covid will "continue to surprise us", England's deputy chief medical officer has warned ahead of another tricky winter for the NHS.
(..)
A new study, by the UK Health Security Agency and the Office for National Statistics, will collect data on changes in infection levels among the public this winter.

It is set to run from November 2023 to March 2024 and involve up to 30,000 participants using lateral flow tests every week.
(..)

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

lol those results will never be published

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

euphronius posted:

lol those results will never be published

I don't see why not - with the previous ONS infection survey (that ended in March) the ONS published the data weekly. We still also publish hospitalisation and death data weekly. Britain's bad but it ain't America.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
Deservedly so.

https://edition.cnn.com/2023/10/02/europe/nobel-prize-medicine-mrna-covid-vaccines-2023-intl-scn/index.html posted:

Nobel Prize in medicine won by two scientists for ‘groundbreaking findings’ on mRNA Covid-19 vaccines

This year’s Nobel Prize in physiology or medicine has been awarded to Katalin Karikó and Drew Weissman for their work on mRNA vaccines, which were crucial in curtailing the spread of Covid-19.
(..)

I remember this as the main reward she had received until now:

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/04/08/health/coronavirus-mrna-kariko.html posted:

(..)
On Nov. 8, the first results of the Pfizer-BioNTech study came in, showing that the mRNA vaccine offered powerful immunity to the new virus. Dr. Kariko turned to her husband. “Oh, it works,” she said. “I thought so.”

To celebrate, she ate an entire box of Goobers chocolate-covered peanuts. By herself.
(..)

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
The core of this case is of course an outlier (as the person has HIV), but I think the proposed COVID interaction is interesting in a wider sense, namely that inflammation triggered by SARS-CoV-2 infection might have altered the permeability of the blood-brain barrier:

https://www.ijidonline.com/article/S1201-9712(23)00730-0/ posted:

Progressive multifocal leukoencephalopathy triggered by COVID-19 in a previously asymptomatic person living with undiagnosed HIV infection

Highlights
• Healthy patient presented sudden onset of aphasia without any other alterations
• Serum showed presence of HIV and elevated pro-inflammatory cytokines
• Cerebrospinal fluid analyses revealed the presence of JC Virus and SARS-CoV-2
Inflammation caused by COVID-19 triggered and exacerbated the condition
• First case report of Progressive Multifocal Leukoencephalopathy with HIV and COVID-19

Abstract
This report presents the case of a 47-year-old male patient who worked as a mathematics teacher and experienced the sudden onset of disorientation, aphasia, and acalculia during an online class. The current study reveals the first documented case of Human Immunodeficiency Virus and Progressive Multifocal Leukoencephalopathy with the detection of SARS-CoV-2 and Human Polyomavirus 2 (previously known as John Cunningham Virus) in the cerebrospinal fluid. Furthermore, serum analysis revealed elevated concentrations of IL-6, IL-17, and IL-8, which are potential factors known to reduce the expression of tight junctions and adhesion molecules in the extracellular matrix, thereby affecting the permeability of the blood-brain barrier. Finally, the study discusses whether SARS-CoV-2 triggers or exacerbates PML.
(..)
Conclusion
To date, there is no evidence supporting the role of SARS-CoV-2 as a triggering or worsening factor of PML. However, in this case, symptoms showed up after a flu-like episode, and the nasal swab PCR tested positive for SARS-CoV-2. Furthermore, SARS-CoV-2 was detected in the patient's CSF even several months after the initial contact with the virus. This suggests that the inflammation triggered by SARS-CoV-2 infection might have altered the permeability of the BBB [ed. blood-brain barrier], favoring viral invasion of the CSF by both viruses. Further, exacerbation of PML symptoms may be attributed to hyporesponsive CD4+ T cells, which are characteristic of HIV+ patients. These findings raise concerns and warrant further investigation into the potential mechanisms underlying CNS injury in such cases.

Pingui has issued a correction as of 13:11 on Oct 2, 2023

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Pingui posted:

Article on the what and why of pediatric vaccines (in full):

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1JEB5DqLBVeA8BSnWg-0BA4e5-svhVP2z91Djtv1Xy3s/edit#gid=0

crowdsourced spreadsheet of pediatric vaccine prospects for desperate parents because lol we live in a society or something

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Just saw a guy dicknosing a cloth mask in October of the Year Of Our Lord Two Thousand And Twenty Three.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
I saw someone wearing a surgical mask the other day which I guess was technically pulled up onto their nose but was only just hanging off the very tip of their nose, and was slung so low that I could actually see their nostrils. I was more impressed than anything

tenderjerk
Nov 6, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 371 days!
got thr booster yesterday, this is the only vaxx shot i had that did not knock me on my rear end, like nothing adverse at all outside of a sore arm, also is the first pfizer i got, after straight moderna up til now

makes you think

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

A judge at our dog thing yesterday asked me if I wore masks before covid. I did! I told the judge that I lived in Japan for a while and it was just common to do and hey, I haven't gotten sick in years now and I don't want to. And the judge said that's completely fair.

the judge doesn't need to know there was an 8 year gap in between me coming back from japan and covid.