Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

Dr. Clockwork posted:

Is this game worth picking up? I never know when Steam reviews are an honest reflection of game quality or just bandwagon nerd rage because Paradox.

No. Check in on it in a year or two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

It's got stuff happening that's worth some time, and as others have said, there's a promise that there will be more added to it later (maybe, and maybe it'll be good and maybe it won't, and maybe they'll want $20 for it and maybe they won't). You can have fun with it now, though.

Having said that, you need to invest a fair bit of time before you start having that fun. The game has no real tutorials, no real internal explanation of how it works, and a lot of important commands and information are hidden away in special buttons or menus that claim to do something entirely different and you'd only know that if you read all of the developer's diaries for the last two years. Likewise, there is one good starting pattern (build construction, make construction goods cheaper, repeat until you have as much construction running as your taxes can handle) and a lot of countries who start so poor that you'll spend the first ten years of the game waiting for something to do, so you may end up restarting a lot because some of the countries presented to you as "standard starters" (Chile, Mexico, Japan) will get you wrecked if you don't already know what you're doing and god forbid you go off the grid and try to do something insane like unite Italy as someone other than Two Sicilies (like, say, Sardinia-Piedmont who actually was the one to do it).

If you're willing to get over that hurdle, the game can be fun.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Achievement hunting in this game seems pretty miserable. I'm trying for "Huge ego, sorry" and it seems to revolve around firing events that are undocumented outside of the game code, and which don't reliably fire.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Dr. Clockwork posted:

Is this game worth picking up? I never know when Steam reviews are an honest reflection of game quality or just bandwagon nerd rage because Paradox.

i wouldn't recommend it, especially at full price

its basically a cookie clicker game but much slower, but political cookie clicker is still kinda novel. i just wish it was faster.

the whole game is basically played in the construction menu and you construct buildings in order to construct more buildings faster. except (unless you're playing a big power) it takes a couple minutes to construct a building so a huge amount of the game is watching a timer bar slowly tick up then starting a new timer

e also a bunch of stuff was very much unfinished at launch, warfare is terrible and the AI can't play the game at all. so a lot of the stuff that would distract you from that construction menu is just frustrating. since the AI can't play the game and doesnt really interact with production or trade or anything its really just a solo game where you try to maximise the efficiency of your own constructions until you become the richest country and then the game just sort of ends.
you can mod it so that the AI actually produces stuff, but that slows the game down even more

its worth about 20 quid so if it gets to that price maybe check it out if you're still interested. its kinda shocking they released it for 50 quid or whatever when it was very clearly not done and i regret paying that.
the game will probably improve over time but I'm concerned that the bones of the game (the idle game building mechanic) and the core assumptions (industrial revolution raises standard of living by giving people the spending power to buy nicer chairs and clothes) mean that it can't really become the victorian political economic RPG I was looking for

Communist Thoughts fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Oct 2, 2023

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist

Gort posted:

Achievement hunting in this game seems pretty miserable. I'm trying for "Huge ego, sorry" and it seems to revolve around firing events that are undocumented outside of the game code, and which don't reliably fire.

Victoria philosophy in general is too pragmatic and goal-oriented than other PDX games, I think. In a recent EU4 game I went for an achievement Prince of Egypt, which is about starting as Florence and then becoming Egypt. It was kind of fun and obviously, it required you to shoot yourself in the foot a little and do nonsensical thing, but it wasn't crippling. In Victoria 3 terms an adventure like that (moving your capital to an underdeveloped land, switching culture) would feel disproportionally punishing. Due to EU4's abstract nature, it's easier to think of things you won't do normally yet it won't utterly destroy you. From what I see a lot of the latest achievements are about choosing a specific path in historical events/journal entries. I guess with a focus on local prices they can also make achievements about going for unique economic configurations but these would be hard to explain and probably easy to explot.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Communist Thoughts posted:

its basically a cookie clicker game but much slower, but political cookie clicker is still kinda novel. i just wish it was faster.

Yeah, it definitely needs performance optimisation still. In the early game, the game runs quickly, and you have loads to do - pass worthwhile laws, industrialise, and so on. In the late game, the game runs slowly, and you don't have much to do except very occasionally pick a new tech to research and wait for your infamy to tick down so you can conquer a bit more territory.

I still haven't finished a whole game.

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

Gort posted:

Yeah, it definitely needs performance optimisation still. In the early game, the game runs quickly, and you have loads to do - pass worthwhile laws, industrialise, and so on. In the late game, the game runs slowly, and you don't have much to do except very occasionally pick a new tech to research and wait for your infamy to tick down so you can conquer a bit more territory.

I still haven't finished a whole game.

This is the big killer. My PC’s showing it’s age but the first third of the game runs well with lots to do, then it starts grinding through the second third as I run out of stuff to do and I’ve never made it far past 1900 because of the slowdown.

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

I should mention here that the Vic3 to HoI4 converter just hit the 0.2 milestone: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/threads/vic3-to-hoi4-converter-thread.1475076/post-29165292

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

If I wasn't bullied into using geforce now to play v3 at a reasonable speed in mp id prolly not play either due to the amnt of lag past the very early yeah

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!
Lategame slowdown? In a Paradox game? Unheard of!

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

I'm on the "I got a good amount of enjoyment out of the game but now I'm taking a long break" boat. I dont like that playing every country feels the same, the AI is terrible at the game so you can never trade for resources unless you get really lucky like my one game as Persia where Canada went completely ham on wood production where otherwise I would have had to conquer a ton of land just to satisfy my country's need for wood, and some other poo poo.

I do not like the look of "Prussia Military good because country is named Prussia". I want what other people are saying - techs or policies or something so any country can do that kind of thing if the circumstances are right and they invest in it. Prussia historically went full militaristic like they did because of circumstance, not because the people or their military hardware were miraculously better than everyone else because "reasons". Let me have internal projects to do military exercises, instill pride in the military, and work towards having "Prussian" militarism instead of just being awarded it. Let countries that lose a land war (like how Prussia got kicked around in the Napoleonic wars (which is in living memory of game start)) get a bonus to doing this. Or something. Just please dont make it intrinsic by default.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Well even if the Prussians get access to companies with +Fightgood, that does theoretically come at the cost of another company you could have used instead.

In the context of the new world of companies, that means that their industrial competitiveness is less than it would be otherwise, so their iron or clothes or w/e cost more to produce. This can have some interesting effects, like your Clothes Mafia/Monopoly nation could backdoor clothes into Prussia through a traderoute to a country in their market and drive their non-companied factories out of business (except for local production, thanks to Local Prices).

TheDeadlyShoe fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Oct 4, 2023

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

The game has good bones, but there's not enough meat.

Grizzwold
Jan 27, 2012

Posters off the pork bow!

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

I do not like the look of "Prussia Military good because country is named Prussia". I want what other people are saying - techs or policies or something so any country can do that kind of thing if the circumstances are right and they invest in it. Prussia historically went full militaristic like they did because of circumstance, not because the people or their military hardware were miraculously better than everyone else because "reasons". Let me have internal projects to do military exercises, instill pride in the military, and work towards having "Prussian" militarism instead of just being awarded it. Let countries that lose a land war (like how Prussia got kicked around in the Napoleonic wars (which is in living memory of game start)) get a bonus to doing this. Or something. Just please dont make it intrinsic by default.

Similarly I’m worried the unique IG abilities taking patriotic fervor away are going to make playing a militaristic Colombia a pain because Latin American cultures are just worse at fighting for some reason.

I’m not entirely opposed to modifiers from companies or w/e, but since construction and warfare are the player’s main way of interacting with the game it seems like a really bad idea to make anyone strictly better or worse at those unless you give other nations the opportunity to do the same.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

I love this game

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

Grizzwold posted:

Similarly I’m worried the unique IG abilities taking patriotic fervor away are going to make playing a militaristic Colombia a pain because Latin American cultures are just worse at fighting for some reason.

Unique IG abilities don't feel as gamey to me as they're not under your direct control. If, say, Prussian military IG is strictly better than others I'm fine with that, especially if their angry debuff is more dangerous too. This means I have to bend my politics to suit the needs of the military, it pays to be an army with a state. I still haven't played the beta but I understand that the inderect part of companies is how fast they fill the bar depending on the state of your economy. So if you don't have a military economy then you won't be able to get much out of military-focused companies, right? I understand the specialization idea behind it but I feel it's presented in a slightly wrong way. It's like a lot of people hate EU4 for "mana" and are fine with a relatively similar mechanics like replenishable envoys from EU3 or capacities from Vic3 - this company thing just sounds wrong to me.

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

I'm on the "I got a good amount of enjoyment out of the game but now I'm taking a long break" boat. I dont like that playing every country feels the same, the AI is terrible at the game so you can never trade for resources unless you get really lucky like my one game as Persia where Canada went completely ham on wood production where otherwise I would have had to conquer a ton of land just to satisfy my country's need for wood, and some other poo poo.

I couldn't play much because of AI, I think. It just felt wrong that I start as some third-rate nation and end up the #1 in terms of economy without earning it. I'm not opposed to game allowing me to start as Tibet and by the end of it my world-conquering juggernaught is only slowed by truce times, but usually in these games I feel like I've earned this history-breaking sequence. I haven't played since 1.1 and await for 1.5 to finally see how these agitators work and if the game feels right now.

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
Would Art benefit from being demanded by less well-off pops to represent print media? Adjust the production to match, of course.

TwoQuestions
Aug 26, 2011
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/developer-diary/victoria-3-dev-diary-97-open-beta-1-5-update-2.1600773/

Looks like we're getting Pollution and Job Satisfaction statistics now, I didn't think Pollution would make an appearance until next year! Here's hoping we get a SMAC mod, I really think Victoria is uniquely suited to a campaign on Planet.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.
The colonial companies look interesting but the AI sucks at the economy aspect so it seems like it would just make colonies less useful.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

>Special Companies are no longer limited to specific countries but have other unique conditions to establish them instead, such as cultures.

This is a very welcome change.

Thordain
Oct 29, 2011

SNAP INTO A GRIMM JIM!!!
Pillbug
I still don't quite get the military changes, but all of the nationalism changes look neat. Still not sure how I feel about the unique IG bonuses.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
I like how many new features this patch is getting; even if the game is going to be a hot mess of balancing for a while, I like that they're looking for systemic ways to fix major issues such as excessively static pop dynamics, migration not really working in a satisfying way, food being incredibly abundant, etc.

Apparently farmers are now considered to be middle class pops which has a lot of interesting implications

RabidWeasel fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Oct 5, 2023

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

RabidWeasel posted:

I like how many new features this patch is getting; even if the game is going to be a hot mess of balancing for a while, I like that they're looking for systemic ways to fix major issues such as excessively static pop dynamics, migration not really working in a satisfying way, food being incredibly abundant, etc.

Apparently farmers are now considered to be middle class pops which has a lot of interesting implications

only under homesteading i think. it should be interesting, though

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib
So happy to see that pops are going to be more dynamically related to IGs. I think it will help your country feel more alive and responsive to changes.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

The definitely only cosmetic pollution effect now getting an actual mechanic does really make the game feel like it was released 2 years early lol. Still the rest of the stuff is good

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
What are some good choices other than France and the UK for getting access to every resource? My current preference is to play as Brazil and get some sulfur mines in West Africa.

FPyat fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Oct 6, 2023

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003
Japan, which is kind of a failure of the resource system to be honest given how the Meiji system eventually disembowled itself trying to take on the world for sufficient coal, iron, and oil. You're only missing opium, rubber, coffee, and primary sugar and fruit out the gate, and while only primary fruit is in your historical expansion the rest are doable by peeling off a different part of the Chinese periphery.

Of course, this also holds true for Qing, probably easier by just sphering, but that's definitely a big empire playstyle from the start like FRA/GBR rather than a regional power doing some autarkhy.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yeah Japan's resource quantity is kind of absurd but I guess they wanted it to be a more beginner friendly nation since it's likely to be the top non-European pick for most players after the US. They have a very awkward internal political situation so the idea was probably that they would make a good tutorial island for dealing with IGs and throwing resource scarcity on top of that might make them too difficult.

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003
I think beyond that, the game rules just don't handle the weirdness around isolationism start and more natural quality/accessibility distribution well; demands for variety are limited to the set of resources in game (so no as-historical nation of sake drinkers and taima smokers to sub wine and opium without hitting the penalty substitution price, at least until they discover beer and tobacco), and "it's there but it's uneconomically deep and lovely" becomes either 0 or 40 slots depending on whether 1836.1.1 state is "hell no" or "we had to anyway".

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Dai Nam is a beast if you do some early expansion into Southeast Asia before Europeans get too entrenched. Big population, basically every "exotic" resource except oil right in your home provinces. You are a bit constrained with lead, but you have enough wood, coal, and iron in your home provinces to fuel early industrialization. And your primary culture lets you accept basically every culture in Southeast Asia plus Han with Cultural Exclusion.

(Some of these properties also make it a good imperialism target)

Pakled fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Oct 6, 2023

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
SEA in general is resource rich, playing as DEI and reforming into Indonesia seems like it would be fun but I haven't tried it yet

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

FPyat posted:

What are some good choices other than France and the UK for getting access to every resource? My current preference is to play as Brazil and get some sulfur mines in West Africa.

Ottoman Empire was my first game and it's cool. It has access to almost every resource but it's also not a straightforward ride to hegemony, you have lots of problems to solve on your way up.

Countzer
May 27, 2022
Ottoman Empire is indeed a fun start, if only because it's one of few countries with actual flavour.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Once they’ve got the historical stuff down (which is a ways away to be clear), I want to see a Jules Verne / HG Wells pack where instead of building to WW1 it builds up to a new world of off map space exploration and then the Martians invade.

E: and then converts seamlessly to Terra Invicta

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
I'm still a little mad that Sweden has no event or bonus for researching dynamite... though I guess Nobel was in Germany at the time.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

With the conquest system being focused on one state a fortifications building type is much more workable

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

A DLC called "Sphere of Influence" popped up on Steam for some reason: https://store.steampowered.com/app/2411231/Victoria_3_Sphere_of_Influence/

quote:

In a more civilized age, the pen is supposed to be mightier than the sword. The first major expansion for Victoria 3 increases the depth and immersion of the diplomatic game. Build Power Blocs to protect regional interests, invest in foreign economies, and interfere in your subjects' politics.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

But can we build pen factories?

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib
That DLC has been available on Steam for quite a while, the first mention of it on Reddit was four months ago. But we should hopefully get more details soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
If one were to be glib, one could say that spheres of influence were a feature that came with V2 day one. But to be accurate, the SoI system in that was really fiddly and honestly not incredibly deep - it was just a matter of ticking up diplo power points in influence races with other Great Powers. I hope that the Sphere system in V3 is more dynamic!