Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
It was a good gag with good timing in a comic that's not overall comedic but has done comedy, this isn't that deep.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
I mostly just feel like its somehow going to be undermined with the next update like the last time I liked a page

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Oh yeah, that's just a given at this point. Vibing with it while I can :)

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

Twenty Four posted:

Also i don't know how to break images down, but if anyone has the panel of White Chain kicking the head off a statue from KSBD from the other month or so, I'm getting that vibe here lol

There's been a distinct increase in the amount of god-punting in webcomics lately and I'm all for it. This page rules.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

cant cook creole bream posted:

So does anyone have an alternate solution to that riddle?
The closest thing I could think of is "Truth". But the first clue would only fit with a bit of tortured rhetoric.
"Story" fits that one better (if still abstract) but the second clue sounds just weird there. Techincally, nkt being a sentient being, a story doesn't have anything to prove.
Both fit the third clue quite well I think.

I think it's probably not a riddle that was made with an answer in mind. "A lie" sounds about as close to me as "a knee" but I can't think of anything that fits all the criteria to a satisfying degree. I was actually talking to some people about nonsense riddles and "Why is a raven like a writing desk?" came up. It's a riddle Lewis Carroll didn't write with an answer, but a lot of people have poured time into a lot of creative solutions to it. I don't know if this works as well because it's more complicated and demands a more specific answer. Riddles are hard to write.

Anyway, the gopher punt is funny. We didn't really need affirmation that this is a surreal place of nonsense rules re-established again, but the comic could use more gopher punting, I think.

catapede
Jul 1, 2018

Eatin' fish leaves
Gettin' strong
I've always been terrible at riddles and the Professor Layton games.

So I'm going to agree this riddle doesn't have an answer.

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

say hello to my little friend

lmao she just immediately figures out what's going on even though it has to do with Weird Tech poo poo, something she notably has difficulty with as recently of a few chapters ago with something as simple as "typing on a keyboard", and is extremely calm and emotionless about it.

I don't know, none of this is hitting for me. Maybe because it's just been literal years of Annie being unable to do much except have the plot happen to her, and now after Kat said "you can do it" once she's magically doing everything effortlessly and emotionlessly in such a tidy manner that it feels like I'm witnessing the author boredly checking off ticks on a "THINGS THAT NEED TO HAPPEN" list in realtime.

I'm afraid to say this lest I get roasted for "you were complaining nothing is happening, now you were complaining things ARE happening?? that annie has TOO much agency???", but the core underlying problem of "these don't feel like the characters I grew to love for years and it feels like the author has lost interest in his own comic" remains. I don't know who Annie is anymore. I don't recognize the character on screen - I haven't for a long time, due to the countless things that have been done to alienate me from her.

As such, it doesn't feel like the natural culmination of the lessons she's learned and skills she's obtained, which I assume is what was penciled in on the threadbare plot outline for this section. Instead of "Annie is a person I'm witnessing the journey of" like the first 60% of the comic, she became an opaque caricature at some point. She was suddenly incompetent because the author said so, and now... she's hit the point where she's suddenly competent because the author said so.

I just... do not care what happens to these people. It all feels like limp fanfiction where familiar characters drift from thinly-sketched plot point to plot point with no thought given to their internal experience. I don't mind characters being competent or using their skills to work through things - easily and with little friction, even! The Torn Sea is one of my favorites even though I've seen it oft-criticized. But when I compare that chapter to this one, there is just something fundamentally missing here, like "the characters having any soul at all".

Maybe Annie will kick some more poo poo and I'll feel better, I dunno. I'd like to see her thought processes literally at all. Any doubt or trepidation about being in a hostile hellscape created by incredibly powerful and unpredictable reality-warping powers. Something relatable. Anything.

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
enough action, time for exposition

isasphere
Mar 7, 2013

Tiny Myers posted:

lmao she just immediately figures out what's going on even though it has to do with Weird Tech poo poo, something she notably has difficulty with as recently of a few chapters ago with something as simple as "typing on a keyboard", and is extremely calm and emotionless about it.

I don't know, none of this is hitting for me. Maybe because it's just been literal years of Annie being unable to do much except have the plot happen to her, and now after Kat said "you can do it" once she's magically doing everything effortlessly and emotionlessly in such a tidy manner that it feels like I'm witnessing the author boredly checking off ticks on a "THINGS THAT NEED TO HAPPEN" list in realtime.

I'm afraid to say this lest I get roasted for "you were complaining nothing is happening, now you were complaining things ARE happening?? that annie has TOO much agency???", but the core underlying problem of "these don't feel like the characters I grew to love for years and it feels like the author has lost interest in his own comic" remains. I don't know who Annie is anymore. I don't recognize the character on screen - I haven't for a long time, due to the countless things that have been done to alienate me from her.

As such, it doesn't feel like the natural culmination of the lessons she's learned and skills she's obtained, which I assume is what was penciled in on the threadbare plot outline for this section. Instead of "Annie is a person I'm witnessing the journey of" like the first 60% of the comic, she became an opaque caricature at some point. She was suddenly incompetent because the author said so, and now... she's hit the point where she's suddenly competent because the author said so.

I just... do not care what happens to these people. It all feels like limp fanfiction where familiar characters drift from thinly-sketched plot point to plot point with no thought given to their internal experience. I don't mind characters being competent or using their skills to work through things - easily and with little friction, even! The Torn Sea is one of my favorites even though I've seen it oft-criticized. But when I compare that chapter to this one, there is just something fundamentally missing here, like "the characters having any soul at all".

Maybe Annie will kick some more poo poo and I'll feel better, I dunno. I'd like to see her thought processes literally at all. Any doubt or trepidation about being in a hostile hellscape created by incredibly powerful and unpredictable reality-warping powers. Something relatable. Anything.

Annie's internal emotional landscape reads as fake because of the narrative belittling and retroactively negating all her suffering and turmoil and presenting her as having improved in all ways just by having her forgive her lovely dad. So by extension all her actions read as fake.

All her character development got nowhere. This isn't the same character we were following. You could say the same of literally everyone here, but it's more prominent with Annie as the protagonist the comic started with.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Tiny Myers posted:

the disconnect is because the actual exposition being given by kat reads as total nonsense and technobabble, while annie, who has consistently been characterized as someone baffled by even intermediate tech, simply goes "thanks got it kat"

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

A big flaming stink posted:

the disconnect is because the actual exposition being given by kat reads as total nonsense and technobabble, while annie, who has consistently been characterized as someone baffled by even intermediate tech, simply goes "thanks got it kat"

She built a robot from spare parts in the very first chapter despite never having done it before. And she's shown to actually excel in subjects she cares about (which I think was biology admittedly?). So I don't think she has been consistently portrayed as far as her interests/abilities in science. Yeah Kat stumps her but Kat stumps everyone, that's what she does as a literal god of the machines.

Also all we get at the end of the explanation is a "thanks, kat" with Annie staring off the page. I think theres a few ways you could read that, especially if you read the comma as an awkward pause. Though it doesn't really matter either way I think. The purpose of this page is likely to just crudely infodump some worldbuilding to the reader. Whether Annie understands or not is probably irrelevant, knowing this comic.

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

JuniperCake posted:

She built a robot from spare parts in the very first chapter despite never having done it before. And she's shown to actually excel in subjects she cares about (which I think was biology admittedly?). So I don't think she has been consistently portrayed as far as her interests/abilities in science. Yeah Kat stumps her but Kat stumps everyone, that's what she does as a literal god of the machines.

Also all we get at the end of the explanation is a "thanks, kat" with Annie staring off the page. I think theres a few ways you could read that, especially if you read the comma as an awkward pause. Though it doesn't really matter either way I think. The purpose of this page is likely to just crudely infodump some worldbuilding to the reader. Whether Annie understands or not is probably irrelevant, knowing this comic.

Annie has been shown to struggle with tech specifically when it comes up. Kat straight up mentions the robot example you mentioned in one chapter and Annie says "nah I don't know what the gently caress".

https://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=419

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.
No no no, the problem isn't Annie shouldn't understand, it's that they already had a conversation about this off-screen. Just the same old problem.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Tiny Myers posted:

Annie has been shown to struggle with tech specifically when it comes up. Kat straight up mentions the robot example you mentioned in one chapter and Annie says "nah I don't know what the gently caress".

https://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=419
It's not even a retcon, in the original she explicitly just yoinks a box of parts of an existing robot and lego bricks them together:
https://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=8

Pardot
Jul 25, 2001

Splicer posted:

It's not even a retcon, in the original she explicitly just yoinks a box of parts of an existing robot and lego bricks them together:
https://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=8

Oh look Shadow. When was the last time they were in the comic?

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

A big flaming stink posted:

Brightman posted:

No no no, the problem isn't Annie shouldn't understand, it's that they already had a conversation about this off-screen. Just the same old problem.

Are you talking about the court's space compression stuff? Because they showed that in the comic. They spent half a chapter in Kats space-compressed factory. Annie has first-hand experience with compressed space. This isn't something they talked about offscreen or that is technobabble nonsense (well, okay, it is), but something we've seen, with our own eyes. It was the chapter where Kat's head asploded, and Paz decoded she had enough of this poo poo and peace'd out. The explanation is they're in a Court pocket dimension like Kat's factory, which are already kind of screwy space-wise, combined with Zimmy and Coyote's reality warping.

Hate the comic, but be honest with your hate.

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

None of this bothers me, at least from the outside. Annie's eyes probably just glazed over and she tuned out the technical part, but she got the general idea of what's going on confirmed, and that was good enough for her.

Reminds me of my dad who has mild to medium but getting worse dementia and asks me the same questions for the who-knows-how-many-ith time, and you can tell the in-depth explanations he asks for that I give him sometimes are barely sinking in if at all. But at some point, for example while watching a baseball game with him, hopefully eventually he is satisfied with me telling him "I'm not sure how else to explain what an ERA is, but that guy has really good numbers, he's a good pitcher, okay?" after he asks about it, and then probably do all that again in a few days.

In the end as long as Annie understands "we haven't really moved" it's okay that the rest probably went over her head, and Kat likes explaining science and technology even more than I enjoy talking baseball, so it's totally within Kat's character to overexplain those things. She probably would have gone on for who knows how long or until she got bored if Annie didn't say "thanks kat". I feel it's not a bad way to set up what's going on with a quick throwback to something we sort of know.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Pardot posted:

Oh look Shadow. When was the last time they were in the comic?

It was interesting how the shadow society apparently hated humans and cast Shadow 2 out when they went back because they were too much of a filthy human-lover. You'd think being actively hostile to humanity in that way would mean they'd pose a big danger once the forest was dumped over the court and all the spooky creatures were able to roam around the outer buildings. It's weird that the implications of them, as well as other dangerous forest creatures we've met, are never followed up on after it should be a big deal that they can now get in.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

Randalor posted:

Are you talking about the court's space compression stuff? Because they showed that in the comic. They spent half a chapter in Kats space-compressed factory. Annie has first-hand experience with compressed space. This isn't something they talked about offscreen or that is technobabble nonsense (well, okay, it is), but something we've seen, with our own eyes. It was the chapter where Kat's head asploded, and Paz decoded she had enough of this poo poo and peace'd out. The explanation is they're in a Court pocket dimension like Kat's factory, which are already kind of screwy space-wise, combined with Zimmy and Coyote's reality warping.

Hate the comic, but be honest with your hate.

I forgot about that, mainly cause I thought this was sorta something else, like I thought she was saying the whole court is like that on some level.

isasphere
Mar 7, 2013

Brightman posted:

I forgot about that, mainly cause I thought this was sorta something else, like I thought she was saying the whole court is like that on some level.

Wait, isn't that what she was saying? I'm confused now.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

THE SUN

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
Everyone was there for those things you just did the last three pages. God why is every page full of Annie standing around giving recaps every time there’s even a hint of momentum.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

literally just standing and staring at the sun lmao

Arbetor
Mar 28, 2010

Gonna play tasty.

I could understand the recapping as explaining the logic of the plan. We did x, and y happened. We want y to happen again, so we should do x again. That would make sense. But they went in a direction that was familiar, and it led to monsters, so now they need to... head somewhere familiar again? And that familiar place is the sun? I guess this is supposed to feel disjointed and ephemeral, the combination of Coyote's chaos and Zimmy's reality warping forming a dreamlike realm. That doesn't make it less disjointed or frustrating. I just hope a ball made of smaller balls doesn't show up. The cube made of smaller cubes last page doesn't make me feel good.

Duodecimal
Dec 28, 2012

Still stupid
a rushed wasting of time

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
This sequence could really have benefited from Coyoting the panel structure a bit to render it a bit trippier. It feels rushed, oddly enough.

catapede
Jul 1, 2018

Eatin' fish leaves
Gettin' strong

Arbetor posted:

I could understand the recapping as explaining the logic of the plan. We did x, and y happened. We want y to happen again, so we should do x again. That would make sense. But they went in a direction that was familiar, and it led to monsters, so now they need to... head somewhere familiar again? And that familiar place is the sun? I guess this is supposed to feel disjointed and ephemeral, the combination of Coyote's chaos and Zimmy's reality warping forming a dreamlike realm. That doesn't make it less disjointed or frustrating. I just hope a ball made of smaller balls doesn't show up. The cube made of smaller cubes last page doesn't make me feel good.

Yeah I'm not really following their thought process there. But it kinda feels like Annie's gonna start traveling around like Zimmy ala Divine (or try to). I know she doesn't remember that, but she has experience with both the ether and Zimmy-world, and the trees allude to another scenery change.

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Did I... did I miss anything important?

Duodecimal posted:

Gunnerkrigg Court: a rushed wasting of time

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Annie is literally doing a Glorantha hero quest.

Duodecimal
Dec 28, 2012

Still stupid
Here comes another perfunctory plot beat.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

establishing shot

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

Patware posted:

establishing shot

Next update: "Is that Ysengrin?!"
Following update: [second establishing shot]
Following update: "Oh no, that's Ysengrin!"
Following update: [Kat] "Did you say Ysengrin?!"

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Following update: "New people, this is Ysengrin"
Following update: "New people, Ysengrin is..."

Duodecimal
Dec 28, 2012

Still stupid
It'll be a real page-turner in book form since you only have to read one line per page.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
Annie's going into her inner soul to beg a bit of werewolf power off of the doggie sealed inside her.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

RocketMermaid posted:

Next update: "Is that Ysengrin?!"
Following update: [second establishing shot]
Following update: "Oh no, that's Ysengrin!"
Following update: [Kat] "Did you say Ysengrin?!"

What was that parody comic (or at least I hope it was a parody) of newspaper comics where the whole week of strips was an art teacher introducing himself by name to the class? I'm having a hell of a time finding it now. Also, Gunnerkrigg Court reminds me of that comic now.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

I'll be honest I do like the art here, the wolf is well realized and the trunks as cage is effective.
I do wish that the new humans weren't such a big part of this composition, though - the one nameless black-haired numan reacting to Ysengrin(?) is just kind of frustrating.

Halibut Barn
May 30, 2005

help

Randalor posted:

What was that parody comic (or at least I hope it was a parody) of newspaper comics where the whole week of strips was an art teacher introducing himself by name to the class? I'm having a hell of a time finding it now. Also, Gunnerkrigg Court reminds me of that comic now.

Dewey Dawner.

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

Lmao this is so good. I think I remember a spiderman(?) parody along these lines too where the pacing was moving glacially slow and the characters noticed and were weirded out by it.

I really love the extra detail of the character who is seemingly black having the same colored skin as the white teacher in the Sunday strip. Sunday colorists can differ from newspaper to newspaper and have no communication with the original artist (maybe that's changed since but that's what I heard in the past), and thus notoriously often get colors (including skintones) horribly wrong.

And the loving blue and yellow in the last panel that every loving newspaper comic uses for dramatic shots.

You can tell this person loves newspaper comics a lot from a detail like that. A loving parody.

Tiny Myers fucked around with this message at 09:47 on Oct 5, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Tiny Myers posted:

Lmao this is so good. I think I remember a spiderman(?) parody along these lines too where the pacing was moving glacially slow and the characters noticed and were weirded out by it.
Parody?
https://nitter.net/DanSlott/status/1128090893230252033
My friend, that was canon.