Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

the bears are just so loving funny, you think it's rock bottom and they just do something even dumber the next week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

SKULL.GIF posted:

If the Bears do end up with #1 and #2 in the draft, do you roll with Poles or do you get another GM to handle these picks?

You sell the team. It'll never be more valuable

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

SKULL.GIF posted:

If the Bears do end up with #1 and #2 in the draft, do you roll with Poles or do you get another GM to handle these picks?

if it's the bears it will be the dumbest thing possible.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Poles traded Mack as part of a complete rebuild. It was a fine trade. It wasn't like he thought Mack wasn't good enough or something.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
In the alternate reality of not a full rebuild, we keep roquan, quinn and mack, and lose out on dj Moore, claypool and Carolinas first next year (let's say we just draft wright at the same spot).

Is that a better situation to be in? I dont know if we beat the broncos with Mooney as the #1 wr , even if we hold them to 7 points with a way better defense.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

this man has never eaten a kneecap in his life

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

R.D. Mangles posted:

this man has never eaten a kneecap in his life

adaz
Mar 7, 2009

I think a better thing is assume a full tear down rebuild the players you pick up as part of that trades have to be valuable and useful.

Is that the case? The damning indictment is they did a full teardown and had a 120 million dollar war chest and don't look like even a competent NFL teaa..

Also, the bears are going to go into the off-season needing a QB and it looks like they could've just stayed out and drafted cj Stroud who looks loving legit.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

the bears cannot be trusted to hire a coach with normal hair, bald guys only from now on

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

adaz posted:

I think a better thing is assume a full tear down rebuild the players you pick up as part of that trades have to be valuable and useful.

Is that the case? The damning indictment is they did a full teardown and had a 120 million dollar war chest and don't look like even a competent NFL teaa..

Also, the bears are going to go into the off-season needing a QB and it looks like they could've just stayed out and drafted cj Stroud who looks loving legit.

he would not look legit on the bears

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
C.j. Stroud would look worse than fields behind a line without wright and no dj Moore

Bryce young would already have had a career ending injury. Imagine him running those 5 play action back to LOS turn to see edge rusher plays. He'd be planted in the ground like a Pikmin

adaz
Mar 7, 2009

Robert Mays of the athletic did this podcast where they asked what success for the 2023 bears would look like and he stated simply finding out if Justin Fields was the answer.

I'm not entirely sure we will ever know. This coaching staff and front office has again hosed it up so badly it's hard to say one way or another. He's for sure broken but would you trust this staff to develop any QB at this point

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

the bears will never select a good quarterback and no good quarterback will ever look good on the bears, this is known in philosophy circles as the Bears Paradox or Bearadox

adaz
Mar 7, 2009

R.D. Mangles posted:

he would not look legit on the bears

Right which means why draft Caleb Williams if they are just going to Ryan Grigson him into earlier retirement and ruin his career.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

R.D. Mangles posted:

the bears will never select a good quarterback and no good quarterback will ever look good on the bears, this is known in philosophy circles as the Bears Paradox or Bearadox

If we had an an average bears defense (top 10 in league) and just ran wishbone with occasional deep shots , bears would be making NFC championship games consistently

adaz posted:

Right which means why draft Caleb Williams if they are just going to Ryan Grigson him into earlier retirement and ruin his career.

They should sell the team and let the new owners draft him. I'm not sure what else is left to do. This is the first ever big rebuild and it's a complete disaster at all levels. We have maybe 5 NFL quality players (jaylen Johnson, Moore, Mooney, Edmunds, and i suppose wright)

trevorreznik fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Oct 2, 2023

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

adaz posted:

he will not and should not enter the draft if the bears are going to take him

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."
This game showed that fields can be good, but it also showed that his coaches are loving idiots who don't know what they are doing and want to force him to do things they think should work but are stupid and no one could make work.

I feel bad for him.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

brugroffil posted:

Poles traded Mack as part of a complete rebuild. It was a fine trade. It wasn't like he thought Mack wasn't good enough or something.

He traded Khalil Mack for Jaquan Brisker, Elijah Hicks, and Trenton Gill.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

He drafted Leonard Floyd over Laremy Tunsil because a video emerged of him smoking weed. He traded up for Mitch Trubisky with Mahomes on the board. He hired Matt Nagy. He traded away Khalil Mack (6 sacks today btw). He drafted Kevin White. He drafted Adam Shaheen over George Kittle.

Pace is a bad GM but he was still better than Poles. Floyd is better than any defensive player Poles has drafted. Nagy is considerably better than Eberflus.

3-18 is actually hard to accomplish in the NFL. The guy had $100 million in cap space and a ton of draft capital this offseason and somehow made the team worse.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
With 14 losses in a row, bears only need 7 more for longest losing streak in the modern NFL!

That's what I'm rooting for at this point

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

trevorreznik posted:

With 14 losses in a row, bears only need 7 more for longest losing streak in the modern NFL!

That's what I'm rooting for at this point

They play Carolina in 6. Going to be a real test of their suckitude to lose all of them. Even their next three games they should have a chance at. win. Not great chances, but probably like 3-5 point underdogs.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
https://www.audacy.com/670thescore/sports/chicago-bears/bernstein-please-make-it-stop-bears-collapse-loss-broncos

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

Bird in a Blender posted:

They play Carolina in 6.

They play Washington, Detroit plays Carolina.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Q_res posted:

They play Washington, Detroit plays Carolina.

Bears Panthers November 9th

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

hear it is, your official Chicago Bears Race to 0-17 Thread
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4043231

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

After Fields ran for 20 yards on a crucial 3rd & 10 late in the fourth with the game tied, the bears called seven straight run plays and turned the ball over on downs.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://twitter.com/kfishbain/status/1708820052290462143

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
It's kind of amazing that in a years time I went from "fields is the future" to "the bears ruined fields" to "no QB will ever play here after seeing how Fields was ruined"

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

xbilkis posted:

It's so funny because whatever Z-tier color guy was working today's game was immediately like "Yeah pass rushers in 2023 are just not gonna get tricked on the playaction on this play" and Getsy has called it, seen it not work, and continued to call it so many times

you gotta establish the sack

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

I'm not saying "if you fired everyone, sold the team, moved them and changed their name, the modern Bears would finally have success"

But I am saying there is a significantly better chance of it than whatever the hell this is at this point, and it is much less of a waste of everyone else's time and money and energy regardless

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I would love to see Toronto get a team, but there’s no way Chicago would lose a team

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Chris James 2 posted:

I'm not saying "if you fired everyone, sold the team, moved them and changed their name, the modern Bears would finally have success"

But I am saying there is a significantly better chance of it than whatever the hell this is at this point, and it is much less of a waste of everyone else's time and money and energy regardless

Worked for the other Chicago team, just took a while

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

I would love to see Toronto get a team, but there’s no way Chicago would lose a team

Chicago could be the new "I'll move to LA if you don't give me a free stadium" threat for owners

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Chris James 2 posted:

It worked for the Browns/Ravens.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Chris James 2 posted:

daaaaaaaa bears

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

Chris James 2 posted:

The problem isn't the team name it's the team ownership genuinely not giving a gently caress and deferring to the opinions of 80+ year old fossils every time they hire someone

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

It's not even that ownership doesn't care.

Like I think George legitimately wants the team to be good. George is a meatball rear end meatball fan.

He's just loving stupid and incompetent, and despite being in this business for decades he still has no loving idea of anything about actually running a football team.

The only hope is that Kevin Warren knows what he's doing, since it seems like George when he hired him, gave Warren oversight of everything from financials to the football people.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Ok i finally watched the highlights of the game can someone please explain to me why they didn't kick the loving field goal tied 28-28 from the 25 with like 4 minutes left?

Sinbad's Sex Tape
Mar 21, 2004
Stuck in a giant clam
Because flus didn’t go for it on 4th down on the first drive and got massively booed for it.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

R.D. Mangles posted:

Ok i finally watched the highlights of the game can someone please explain to me why they didn't kick the loving field goal tied 28-28 from the 25 with like 4 minutes left?

They'd just given up 3 touchdowns in 8 minutes. Getting the FG is meaningless if you think your defense is going to give up another touchdown. The offense had already fumbled, so you can't really count on them to reproduce results.

That said, kicking the FG would've meant the Broncos *had* to go for a touchdown to win. As it turned out they could just relax and move for the FG and won on that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sinbad's Sex Tape
Mar 21, 2004
Stuck in a giant clam
Lol I forgot after they didn’t go for it on 4th on the first drive and then they went for it on the 2nd drive with a direct snap to Kmet that looked short but was good. It was the right choice but just a baffling playcall