Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

celadon
Jan 2, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

central park zoo is demonic

flaco is the peoples' hero, whoever got him out is a saint (still hasn't been caught)

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires
Who could have known that putting animals in animal jail might make them sad

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr
Dec 22, 2018

I hope this is "battle" enough for you, friend.

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

imo they should place some sort of hydraulic jack underneath the city and lift it up

That hydraulic jack is called Old New York.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Edgar Allan Pwned
Apr 4, 2011

Quoth the Raven "I love the power glove. It's so bad..."
drat but those seals prolly dont have the immune system for the sewage water. or real ocean

Johnny Cache Hit
Oct 17, 2011

Edgar Allan Pwned posted:

drat but those seals prolly dont have the immune system for the sewage water. or real ocean

shot??

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

Pingui posted:

Saving time by skipping the morning shower.
https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7284312297126858026

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
I’m glad that all the decisions for the nation are made by people who dont understand that water flows downhill

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Jizzny Princess posted:

https://twitter.com/rawsalerts/status/1707876892873769206

Pack it up new yorkers, this is the seals town now.

maybe they should have sealed that enclosure a little better

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Stereotype posted:

I’m glad that all the decisions for the nation are made by people who dont understand that water flows downhill

this shouldnt be a surprise, name 1 president who was a plumber

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

maybe they should have sealed that enclosure a little better

the wall rusted

Woke Mind Virus
Aug 22, 2005

blatman posted:

this shouldnt be a surprise, name 1 president who was a plumber

Ronald Reagan laid pipe

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

George Bush was a pro in the wetwotks.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Luigi ruled Italy four times if that counts!

That's why their plumbings so good. They have one city that's basically nothing but sewers!

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Stereotype posted:

it’s ok, they’ll go into their underground bunkers to escape from the thing that makes it flood everywhere.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

Stereotype posted:

LBJ sure as hell did

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Laterite posted:

LBJ sure as hell did

Yep, there was a leader who also knew how to use a large pipe.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

nyc has had 15" of rain this month lol

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

the atlantic ocean is reclaiming NYC

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

biceps crimes posted:

the atlantic ocean is reclaiming NYC

Does it have a kickstarter I can chip into?
Nothing again NY, I just really like backing small projects by first time creatives.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

dr_rat posted:

Luigi ruled Italy four times if that counts!

That's why their plumbings so good. They have one city that's basically nothing but sewers!

if thats where you wanna go with this then what about the country thats just one big sewer (united states minus north dakota, the number one producer of dry edible peas)

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_rwz0kiA8Kz1ub2urw.mp4

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

lmao

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

The manhole covers are so perfectly synchronized I can't tell if it's edited drat

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Negostrike posted:

The manhole covers are so perfectly synchronized I can't tell if it's edited drat

Pressure waves travel at the speed of sound, 343 meters per second, (making some assumptions about the cause of this phenomenon)you'd expect manhole charts covers a meter apart to be desynchronized by about a tenth of a frame

Leandros
Dec 14, 2008

In response, not in actual choreography.
I'm pretty sure those pylons were shopped in from another video so no reason to assume the manholes weren't cloned.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

ikanreed posted:

Pressure waves travel at the speed of sound, 343 meters per second, (making some assumptions about the cause of this phenomenon)you'd expect manhole charts covers a meter apart to be desynchronized by about a tenth of a frame

That appears to be caused by surface wind force and not a sound-based pressure wave.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

It's very clearly edited to overlay identical video segments on top of each other, you goofs

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

SourKraut posted:

That appears to be caused by surface wind force and not a sound-based pressure wave.

Maybe, but that doesn't seem like it would cause uplift like this. High speed surface winds would blow the covers away.

My conjecture is gusts pushing against a horizontally oriented sewer outlet somewhere down the line, creating pressure waves(which aren't sound based but do travel at the speed of sound) lifting the covers from underneath.

But there's a lot of non-wind related explanations, so I'm just guessing.

Edit: no the, ^^ that seems way more likely.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

regardless of whether the covers are cloned, wind isn't causing that. most likely that's storm surge pushing seawater up into the sewer blasting air out the manholes

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Cup Runneth Over posted:

It's very clearly edited to overlay identical video segments on top of each other, you goofs

Yeah, it’s probably this.

Hooplah posted:

regardless of whether the covers are cloned, wind isn't causing that. most likely that's storm surge pushing seawater up into the sewer blasting air out the manholes

Wind can and has lifted dense objects, including manhole covers, before? You have a pressure differential between the manhole and the surface, which can cause rocking.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
god lifted those covers

Leandros
Dec 14, 2008

SourKraut posted:

Yeah, it’s probably this.

Wind can and has lifted dense objects, including manhole covers, before? You have a pressure differential between the manhole and the surface, which can cause rocking.

Yeah some napkin math says you need about 150km/h wind to lift a manhole cover, plus there's water sloshing around so that makes it easier

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fuckin manhole covers, how do they work?

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

i dont know if i like this new remake of fantasia but i respect the hustle

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

ikanreed posted:

this math problem has the best units. the reduced ratio will be the new joule

Jon Pod Van Damm
Apr 6, 2009

THE POSSESSION OF WEALTH IS IN AND OF ITSELF A SIGN OF POOR VIRTUE. AS SUCH:
1 NEVER TRUST ANY RICH PERSON.
2 NEVER HIRE ANY RICH PERSON.
BY RULE 1, IT IS APPROPRIATE TO PRESUME THAT ALL DEGREES AND CREDENTIALS HELD BY A WEALTHY PERSON ARE FRAUDULENT. THIS JUSTIFIES RULE 2--RULE 1 NEEDS NO JUSTIFIC

quote:

Koinu was packing maximum sustained winds equivalent to that of a Category 2 hurricane on the Saffir-Simpson Hurricane Wind Scale with maximum sustained winds of 103 mph. However, a weather station at Lanyu on Orchid Island, Taiwan, reported a wind gust of 212 mph as the eyewall of Koinu passed over the observatory late Wednesday, local time, but this was not yet officially reported by the Central Weather Administration.

Alerts issued for Taiwan and the Philippines
The Central Weather Administration in Taiwan issued sea and land typhoon warnings Monday and Tuesday, alerting residents of the heavy rain and wind expected from Koinu. Beaches were closed beginning Tuesday in Kenting National Park, located in southern Taiwan, in preparation for the incoming storm conditions.

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002

ffs it’s finally gonna be below 87 degrees tomorrow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diamonds On MY Fish
Dec 10, 2008

I WAS BORN THIS WAY

Scarabrae posted:

ffs it’s finally gonna be below 87 degrees tomorrow

Lucky. Norcal's in the mid 90s until Sunday.

gently caress this.