Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

fuctifino posted:

Interesting timing for this breaking news BBC investigation

https://twitter.com/BBCBreaking/status/1708877069596164336

It's now the #1 news story on the BBC site

Was just reading about this. Its been a rumour for so many years and was heavily implied when the stuff about the staff being hired based on appearance started coming out years ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

fuctifino posted:

Interesting timing for this breaking news BBC investigation

https://twitter.com/BBCBreaking/status/1708877069596164336

It's now the #1 news story on the BBC site

sweet mandy dingle either that man is commendably committed to the life of an apiarist or some plastic surgeon has a gently caress of a lot to answer for

Crystal Thenis
Mar 23, 2023

by sebmojo
I would say the weird one was the guardian doing a huge expose on NHS consultants and surgeons doing heinous things to patients and the next day, boom, russell brand, and it’s all forgotten.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Is he Bill or Ben?

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
that fuckin weed framed him

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Crystal Thenis posted:

I would say the weird one was the guardian doing a huge expose on NHS consultants and surgeons doing heinous things to patients and the next day, boom, russell brand, and it’s all forgotten.

domhal
Dec 30, 2008

0.000% of Communism has been built. Evil child-murdering billionaires still rule the world with a shit-eating grin. All he has managed to do is make himself *sad*. It has, however, made him into a very, very smart boy with something like a university degree in Truth. Instead of building Communism, he now builds a precise model of this grotesque, duplicitous world.
Big LOL at cancelling the HS2 Manchester leg while they're all in Manchester.

Crystal Thenis
Mar 23, 2023

by sebmojo

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-66775015

all the major press outlets came out with this story in early/mid september and i guess nobody read about it 🤷‍♂️

63% of women the target of sexual harassment, 30% sexually assaulted. high ranking staff, rape, cover ups. and you are tinfoil hat memeing lol.

Crystal Thenis fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Oct 2, 2023

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

domhal posted:

Have they actually cancelled it then? They've been talking about it all day but ive not seen anything concrete.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

https://twitter.com/victoria_spratt/status/1708867924390297634?s=46&t=m_nNbkNoHG4lLitcpyHReg

domhal
Dec 30, 2008

0.000% of Communism has been built. Evil child-murdering billionaires still rule the world with a shit-eating grin. All he has managed to do is make himself *sad*. It has, however, made him into a very, very smart boy with something like a university degree in Truth. Instead of building Communism, he now builds a precise model of this grotesque, duplicitous world.

serious gaylord posted:

Have they actually cancelled it then? They've been talking about it all day but ive not seen anything concrete.

It's coming based on guardian headline. Maybe they'll all clear off before announcing but they surely don't care.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
remember, they just have a few concerns about sports participation and single-sex spaces

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
https://twitter.com/BBCNews/status/1708889365517119532

Construction/Home improvement companies always go first in a big downturn but this is like the 3rd national company to go under already.

DreddyMatt
Nov 25, 2002
MY LACK OF KNOWLEDGE OF CURRENT EVENTS IS EXCEEDED ONLY BY MY UNQUENCHABLE THIRST FOR PISS. FUK U AMERIKKKA!!

domhal posted:

Laffo, forget they were in Manchester this week. That's a strong move

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Everyone seems to be saying HS2 is cancelled other than Rishi, who for some reason won't give a straight answer every time he's pressed about it.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2023/oct/02/rishi-sunak-commons-majority-in-peril-as-60-tories-join-liz-truss-group

This could speed up the general election!

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

fuctifino posted:

https://twitter.com/DrFrancesRyan/status/1708745154830442958

Try the food in the Essex accommodation and it’s tellingly prison-like: a falafel squashed in a slice of white bread, or a pile of beans in a polystyrene box

From a few pages back but lol that the food is described as "prison-like" there is far better food in prison. That sounds like an actual nightmare.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

There's limited money in backing Liz Truss, at the very least because no rich donors with a handful of functioning brain cells are going to bankroll the stupidest politician in the UK.
So this is a group of MPs who'll still need support from the main party.
If Sunak loses next year, it'll be a group of (fewer than 60) MPs not bothering to turn up to Parliament and just shitposting on whatever X has been re-branded to.
And if Sunak wins, he's suddenly got a shitload of power in the party and can tell Truss and her braindead groupies to gently caress off.

Ataxerxes
Dec 2, 2011

What is a soldier but a miserable pile of eaten cats and strange language?

Klepsie posted:

Bobbing up again with the latest on Camrath.

His funeral is this Saturday, 7 October.

His wife has asked, quote, "Could you ask the goons if they'd do some more bluescreen H fudge meme photos please?"

Consider yourselves asked. Your very finest for this fine man.

While posting, I found this a few days ago; a poem I wrote for him two years ago. I wasn't originally going to put this in my imminent poetry collection, but now, it's going to be the last one.

RIDING THE ZEITGEIST SINCE 2003

Today it pleased me, friend, to note
Our friendship's reached the age to vote,
Can buy a whiskey or a beer,
For it has reached its eighteenth year.
It soon, absent unomened strife,
Will have been with you half your life.
Online, on stage, on boats, in cars
On Boston streets, in hotel bars,
We've done such deeds and seen such things,
Have lived like paupers and like kings.
I think it fit that I confide
It's been a wild and joyous ride
With miles and years before its end.
Here's to the next eighteen, my friend.

ENVOI

How on this friendship have I lucked?
Simple: because we've never hosed.

Thank you for posting this.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
If they have 60 mps

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Jeez, 7 friends/colleagues I know in the UK games industry have been made redundant since Thursday with the Epic/Mediatonic layoffs, then Creative Assembly and now potentially Team 17 might add some more. Each of those accompanied by many, many other layoffs of people I don't know as well of course. Obviously small potatoes compared to stuff like Wilkos going under where it results in many thousands of redundancies but its still hitting hard and making me think I need to start looking at another industry altogether frankly.

Just wish I was even remotely good at anything or able to sell myself as such. I've walked through nearly every games job interview I've ever had with a job offer a few days later, resolutely failed at nearly any interview outside of it. Almost a completely inverted success rate I'd say.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

The funniest timeline would be Liz's breakaway group forming a majority coalition with Labour, and Keith becoming PM by default.

He'll quickly find that there's no money left, so we can't afford any more of those expensive elections until the economy is fixed, so carry on as normal, except with CPS chief prosecutor fuelled dystopian authority.

e: Found a lol from the vampire conference:

https://twitter.com/lewis_goodall/status/1708855836020179448

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Oct 2, 2023

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Currently listening to No Justice live on YT and the phrase "Jizz Truss" is now thoroughly imprinted on my mind. :stonklol:

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/benleo444/status/1708903423033188630

:allears:

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

wait did a right wing person unironically use the "so much for the tolerant left" meme

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
boohoohoo why don't they like me, a fascist oval office with shite for brains :cry:

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Inheritance tax is theft.

It should be scrapped

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

If you want a good example of the harm that the conspiracy nonsense can do on the vulnerable, check out these two videos.

https://twitter.com/Nullen80/status/1708814336666276172

She stopped paying her mortgage due to believing some freeman bollocks, was eventually evicted, lost custody of the kids and is now homeless. Just listen to the unhinged completely senseless rant during her eviction.

Convex posted:

wait did a right wing person unironically use the "so much for the tolerant left" meme

They did :allears:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Nobody can be compelled to accept a bequeathment. Don't accept the estate, pay zero inheritance tax. Simple as.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

For all that my political beliefs can be straining on my mental health, I do feel glad that at least for the rubric that power is what matters and you can't pull off convoluted schemes in the face of raw power.

It comes up every time I see those various conspiracies about how there's one weird trick to do [xyz] leading to some supposed improbable beneficial outcome for the adherent by manipulating "the rules".

Even if there was such a thing it wouldn't work because "the rules" will bend the minute they threaten entrenched power.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

It was that Twitter Tories favourite? Pinned? Tweet.

Are they still tweets now? Are they X's? Kisses?

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
They're called muskies

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

thebardyspoon posted:

Jeez, 7 friends/colleagues I know in the UK games industry have been made redundant since Thursday with the Epic/Mediatonic layoffs, then Creative Assembly and now potentially Team 17 might add some more. Each of those accompanied by many, many other layoffs of people I don't know as well of course. Obviously small potatoes compared to stuff like Wilkos going under where it results in many thousands of redundancies but its still hitting hard and making me think I need to start looking at another industry altogether frankly.

Just wish I was even remotely good at anything or able to sell myself as such. I've walked through nearly every games job interview I've ever had with a job offer a few days later, resolutely failed at nearly any interview outside of it. Almost a completely inverted success rate I'd say.

The Creative Assembly was insanely mismanaged to be fair, it's impressive how they managed to spend £100m developing a game only to cancel it just before release. At least the perennialy scammy star citizen made some money in the process. Similarly, Epic has been having some rough times.

I'm sure it sucks but I don't know how much it's a reflection of the wider industry, especially as vidyagames sell across the world and so are more resilient against national economic vagaries.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

In case anyone hasn't seen it, folding ideas put out a 2.5hr video on gamestop stocks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pYeoZaoWrA

A staggering amount of "well the rules (as I misunderstand them) say this therefore that's how reality has to be" and apparently no room for "the people with the money would just say no that's daft and make an exception"

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/krishgm/status/1708914223005257765

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Private Speech posted:

The Creative Assembly was insanely mismanaged to be fair, it's impressive how they managed to spend £100m developing a game only to cancel it just before release. At least the perennialy scammy star citizen made some money in the process. Similarly, Epic has been having some rough times.

I'm sure it sucks but I don't know how much it's a reflection of the wider industry, especially as vidyagames sell across the world and so are more resilient against national economic vagaries.

They went downhill after Sega bought them, Medieval II: Total War was their last good game.... back in 2006 ffs. :corsair:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

there's one weird trick to do [xyz] leading to some supposed improbable beneficial outcome for the adherent by manipulating "the rules"

It's not illegal and nobody can stop you.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Private Speech posted:

Similarly, Epic has been having some rough times.

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib

Apraxin posted:

remember, they just have a few concerns about sports participation and single-sex spaces

The choice between leadership candidates is simply which villain they'll offer the electorate as a reason for the next five years of failure.
Hunt is playing the classics with benefit scroungers.
Badenoch is targeting anything dangerously newfangled.
Liz Truss is going to take on the financial markets, and this time it's personal.
Honest Bob Jenrick thinks there's more mileage in blaming foreigners.

Also- RIP Camrath. Wasn't engaged with the thread when you posed the news. That fudge helped me through lockdown.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Just Another Lurker posted:

They went downhill after Sega bought them, Medieval II: Total War was their last good game.... back in 2006 ffs. :corsair:

The Warhams games are okay, also the only place without redundancies according to the internet. Some of the other TW games were okay as well.

Heavily monetised extraction shooter where players have deathmatches over marketing tat which is supposed to be funny, not so much.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Oct 2, 2023