Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

flakeloaf posted:

i am a direct beneficiary of those "increased property values" and i know they are bullshit because i am an adult

we did not just magically acquire 100% of our house's value in free wealth because a number moved jesus christ what is wrong with people

that’s exactly what you did. because money isn’t real.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Don’t you have to use a HELOC to actually derive any benefit from it though?

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

flakeloaf posted:

i am a direct beneficiary of those "increased property values" and i know they are bullshit because i am an adult

we did not just magically acquire 100% of our house's value in free wealth because a number moved jesus christ what is wrong with people

You earned that bump through wise investment decisions. Think of all the boats you can buy on credit now because of your foresight.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
it's because you mowed your lawn. well done

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Frosted Flake posted:

well you could also sell the house and make another "wise investment decision" by buying

uhh

k hang on a sec, carry the three...

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Frosted Flake posted:

Well, if you're near retirement, boy, do I have a deal for you!

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

I stumbled ass-backwards into a comfortable, easy life for reasons beyond my comprehension and now I think I'm better than you for it.
sir this is 2023, THEYLOC is the preferred nomenclature

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

https://twitter.com/l_stone/status/1708880811125101002?t=KVZBi1M_uJT0zih6Fnpmlw&s=19

Some of these fine developers, that I will take money from, are actually very fine upstanding firms

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
say hello to the man in the elevator
Working hard to make you into a permanent underclass, thank you!

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

owning things you inherited is a perfectly cromulent career, and another thing...

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Three cheers for Bonnie Queen Crombie!

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

War gives the right to the conquerors to impose any condition they please upon the vanquished.
real estate developers are an oppressed minority. assigned leech at birth.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

Drunk Canuck posted:

https://twitter.com/l_stone/status/1708880811125101002?t=KVZBi1M_uJT0zih6Fnpmlw&s=19

Some of these fine developers, that I will take money from, are actually very fine upstanding firms

I reject the entire premise of this person having a job

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

RealityWarCriminal posted:

I reject the entire premise of this person having a job

she's mayor of mississauga, take that as you will

the city that re-elected a corrupt old white lady for 30 straight years

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
i'd of been ok with the corruption if she'd funneled some money towards decent public transit. going anywhere in mississauga without a car was hell

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

infernal machines posted:

she's mayor of mississauga, take that as you will

the city that re-elected a corrupt old white lady for 30 straight years

a corrupt old woman who knowingly drove drunk all the time and the cops openly protected her

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

mila kunis posted:

i'd of been ok with the corruption if she'd funneled some money towards decent public transit. going anywhere in mississauga without a car was hell

yeah i lived in calgary without a car and that was doable and toronto without a car was easy but now that i live in mississauga there's no way i would even try

no joke, it's a 10 minute drive or 55 minute bus ride with two transfers for me to get to work

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
I did it
miway

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

Cold on a Cob posted:

yeah i lived in calgary without a car and that was doable and toronto without a car was easy but now that i live in mississauga there's no way i would even try

no joke, it's a 10 minute drive or 55 minute bus ride with two transfers for me to get to work

this offer is also valid in Rexdale. except we tore up all of Finch road and made the street into an accessibility nightmare for a light rail project that’s probably never gonna get done

if you miss your bus here the next one (three usually) come in 30 minutes. average arrival time of 10 min

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Cold on a Cob posted:

may I never spend another second on the Dundas bus

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Isentropy posted:

a corrupt old woman who knowingly drove drunk all the time and the cops openly protected her

I have family in Port Credit and Streetsville, so I've only heard the hagiography of Hazel. She sucked?

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

pokeyman posted:

I did it
miway
miway or the highway (403)

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

Frosted Flake posted:

I have family in Port Credit and Streetsville, so I've only heard the hagiography of Hazel. She sucked?

a quick hit is that she got in a ton of accidents and nothing seems to have been explicitly published but around the area it’s as well known as Rob Fords activities at Steak Queen. like it’s a thing that people know but no one with the thin protections of like a community newspaper would say it

https://www.mississauga.com/news/sp...c6f158be08.html

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Isentropy posted:

a quick hit is that she got in a ton of accidents and nothing seems to have been explicitly published but around the area it’s as well known as Rob Fords activities at Steak Queen. like it’s a thing that people know but no one with the thin protections of like a community newspaper would say it

https://www.mississauga.com/news/sp...c6f158be08.html

lol suddenly Brampton electing Patrick loving Brown doesn't look so unusual.

Ontario municipal politics are a joke.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
on a personal level she sucked because she was constantly driving drunk and it's shocking she never killed anyone

on a professional level she's the sprawl queen. absolutely beholden to property developers (her son was one) and was on record stating we should open the greenbelt.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Cold on a Cob posted:

on a personal level she sucked because she was constantly driving drunk and it's shocking she never killed anyone

on a professional level she's the sprawl queen. absolutely beholden to property developers (her son was one) and was on record stating we should open the greenbelt.

Was Pearson built before her tenure?

I figured Mississauga sprawled because the airport was there and they 1) could only build so high, and 2) obviously there would be lots of warehouses popping up around the airport.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

Frosted Flake posted:

I figured Mississauga sprawled because the airport was there and they 1) could only build so high, and 2) obviously there would be lots of warehouses popping up around the airport.

naw it's sprawl because people want detached homes; pearson is only an issue for a small part of the city. there are mid and high rise condos here and our "city centre" is starting to look like a real city these days

e: pearson is old and dates back to the 1930s

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

Frosted Flake posted:

1 doesn’t apply. Rexdale has high rises and is well in the flight paths approaching the airport

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Most of the big warehouses/distribution centers are built around rail, like the giant yard in Concord (Vaughan).

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
also, north Brampton.

there's no rail, or anything else for that matter, but the land is cheap.

corgiwizard
Oct 27, 2020

flakeloaf posted:

brain worms

corgiwizard
Oct 27, 2020

flakeloaf posted:

owning things you inherited is a perfectly cromulent career, and another thing...

a noble inheritance embiggens the smallest they/them

Cromulent_Chill
Apr 6, 2009

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

so is Winnipeg just like a bad place? I was there for a couple of days and it was a lot sketchier than I thought. I was reminded by multiple people that “this isn’t Toronto” and to make sure I don’t leave anything in my car (as if Toronto is known for being the safest place in Canada)

it’s a really beautiful city - the area around the parliament reminded me of like a cross between Moscow and Quebec City. Huge roadways leading to historic buildings. Museums. I went to the Forks, but… Where are all the cool areas you guys always talk about? I feel like I needed a local guide or something

I’m going back in search of pierogies

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

a primate posted:

so is Winnipeg just like a bad place? I was there for a couple of days and it was a lot sketchier than I thought. I was reminded by multiple people that “this isn’t Toronto” and to make sure I don’t leave anything in my car (as if Toronto is known for being the safest place in Canada)

it’s a really beautiful city - the area around the parliament reminded me of like a cross between Moscow and Quebec City. Huge roadways leading to historic buildings. Museums. I went to the Forks, but… Where are all the cool areas you guys always talk about? I feel like I needed a local guide or something

I’m going back in search of pierogies

Exchange District is cool, but you need an event or go on a weekend. Downtown core clears out after 6pm.

The Forks is neat but also clears out in the evening.

Osborne Village was neat years ago when I lived in the city pre-covid.

My suburban chums liked Corydon Ave

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

I stumbled ass-backwards into a comfortable, easy life for reasons beyond my comprehension and now I think I'm better than you for it.

a primate posted:

I was reminded by multiple people that “this isn’t Toronto” and to make sure I don’t leave anything in my car (as if Toronto is known for being the safest place in Canada)

This is very funny to me. I've lived both in Toronto and outside Toronto and the impression people have of this place is either gilded city on the hill or crime ridden cesspool. There's never any in between.

I have a friend who just decided to move back to Toronto after a few years in Winnipeg, where they'd moved for affordability reasons. That blows my mind, it must be pretty rough over there.

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

Another Bill posted:

This is very funny to me. I've lived both in Toronto and outside Toronto and the impression people have of this place is either gilded city on the hill or crime ridden cesspool. There's never any in between.

I have a friend who just decided to move back to Toronto after a few years in Winnipeg, where they'd moved for affordability reasons. That blows my mind, it must be pretty rough over there.

there’s definitely noticeable homelessness and poverty. I saw a tent city the size of the one on Jarvis despite the fact that it’s not really a big city. went to a Liquor Mart (I still lol at the name) and they buzz you in to a vestibule where they scan your ID before entering. it was wild

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

quote is not edit

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

a primate posted:

so is Winnipeg just like a bad place? I was there for a couple of days and it was a lot sketchier than I thought.

a primate posted:

there’s definitely noticeable homelessness and poverty. I saw a tent city the size of the one on Jarvis despite the fact that it’s not really a big city. went to a Liquor Mart (I still lol at the name) and they buzz you in to a vestibule where they scan your ID before entering. it was wild

tbh this is like everywhere now lol. I’m in northern bc, we have visible poverty & homelessness and tent cities comparable to much larger cities, and top the list of cities provincially for crime stats year after year. tho it’s basically a meme that this is a ‘bad place’ (even tho actually living here isn’t so bad), but since it helps keep things affordable it’s a fine distinction to carry.

Winnipeg is fine imo, I like the place. I’d consider living there if it had better provincial & social services

OldAlias has issued a correction as of 17:36 on Oct 3, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

poverty and homelessness doesn’t make a place ‘bad’ tho, we just need to hang enough politicians and responsible parties to fix this affordability crisis