Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Season one of the Simpsons had Homer become national news for possibly being an ape-man, with scientists not entirely sure if he was human. No Frasier episode ever got that wacky

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

FilthyImp posted:

There's this touch in some really simple scenes, like the mini-arc where one of the Crane boys' absurd coffee orders keeps being slightly off. The episode happens and as we reach a resolution with the characters and events, the barista finally gets the order right.

This was My Coffee with Niles, the finale of the first season. It's not the first time the show got really good (I think it reached that point in Miracle on Third or Fourth Street), but it's the first truly great episode of Frasier.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

No Frasier episode ever got that wacky
The one with his Crane-ium stylized portrait? Or did you forget that was drawn by a man...now three days dead!

OK. There was the one with the heirloom clock that points to their ancestor being a syphillitic thief. That one's a bit whacky.

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Sep 28, 2023

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
The equivalent plot is that Frasier would be wandering around the desert of Eastern Washington and get picked up, mistaken for a gray, become national news, and get analyzed by scientists with the result that maybe he's an alien maybe not

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

The equivalent plot is that Frasier would be wandering around the desert of Eastern Washington and get picked up, mistaken for a gray, become national news, and get analyzed by scientists with the result that maybe he's an alien maybe not

please tell me youre a writer on the new season

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

That's just a Maris gag.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
The Search For Mel's Hole

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

They hated Futanari because His posts were shit.

FilthyImp posted:

I finally remembered to show my wife that preview and she just said "oh no" at the end. :negative:

Early Simpsons had plots that explored their characters. They weren't flanderized stereotypes, so you could have poo poo like Bart crying in frustration that his best attempt at learning yielded failure (then subvert that crushing sadness with the realization that he did learn something, he just couldn't regurgitate it on the test), or loving Homer facing the prospect of his mortality thanks to loving Fugu.
Mid90s Simpsons, roughly the time Oakley and Weinstein take the reins, moves away from the animated attempt at a dysfunctional family into stories that are less grounded in the family and more exploratory (like Bart selling his soul). I think by 98 or 99 the "classic" run exhausts its novelty and just becomes a series of gags with a loosely pinned on plot at the start like "The Simpsons attend MONSTERtruckfest, but leave quickly when they realize that it's a convention of truck-bros who dress up as classic monsters. On the way home, the family car hits a pothole causing Marge to have to drive recklessly to get to safety. This sparks a new obsession with racing and the rest of the episode is a send-up of Days of Thunder, with Bart having a Fast and the Furious-style B-plot."
Once you get to that point, the cast isn't so much characters as paper-thin functions to make jokes happen. But that's kind of the problem with cultural satire-- it works when you're the out-group but time marches on and it's harder to be so biting if you're a literal cultural institution with decades of success.

Arguably the first Season of Frasier has the back and forth with Marty at the core-- there's a point where he nearly chucks Marty into a home until they have it out and recognize it won't be smooth sailing but it will be worth it. I think that Frasier's most memorable episodes revolve around the inherent farcical aspects of the show, but they're possible because the characters largely behave in familiar ways that makes the comedy pay off. You also have plenty of stealth feelings episodes, where the brothers' personalities and quibbles are comedic, but in the process lead to something more impactful (Martin feeling sadness at seeing the age of his old horse and in turn lamenting his youth).

There's this touch in some really simple scenes, like the mini-arc where one of the Crane boys' absurd coffee orders keeps being slightly off. The episode happens and as we reach a resolution with the characters and events, the barista finally gets the order right.

Yeah the melancholy plotlines of the first ~4 seasons are really great, there's no way they could hold that emotional weight nowadays (though a lot of that is due to reduced runtime rather than a specific showrunner- there just isn't time to either tell the really good throwaway jokes or build tension properly with 19 instead of 23 minutes)

I don't want to go off on a Simpsons tangent but I really, really hate the Al Jean style A plot and B plot where rather than running parallel to one another for the length of the episode, the "A plot" is a completely distinct, unrelated first act that is siloed off and has at best a tenuous connection to the second and third acts. Frasier never had this problem!

e: Al Jean rules, "In the last episode, they’d be going back to the Christmas pageant from the first episode, so that the whole series was a continuous loop" - the best ending the series could possibly have and he just... tweeted it out. Lol

Dokapon Findom fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Sep 28, 2023

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Dokapon Findom posted:

Frasier never had this problem!

e: Al Jean rules, "In the last episode, they’d be going back to the Christmas pageant from the first episode, so that the whole series was a continuous loop" - the best ending the series could possibly have and he just... tweeted it out. Lol
I want to add that Frasier had what I like to think of as time for quiet. It doesn't feel like Nu Frasier will do the same and instead roll out punchline after punchline.

Some redditor once tweeted their version of a last Simpsons and it was a contest about writing the last Itchy and Scratchy episode. It would involve the Simpsons individually explaining their version, with the ending being them rushing off home to srr what the last episode was (mirroring the intro of the series). Last shot would be them gathered at the couch waiting to see what was chosen.
POV of the TV as they gather happily. Homer clicks the remote and we cut to the end credits and music.

I thought that was a good way to go!

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Season one of the Simpsons had Homer become national news for possibly being an ape-man, with scientists not entirely sure if he was human. No Frasier episode ever got that wacky

He does make the city paper of record for patronizing a sex worker, though.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Doc's pal is mock gal

I'd really love to interview DHP and even, sorry I forget Bulldogs real name, about how they felt about said jokes and their impressions of the LGBT movement and how far its come since then

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

If you are so inclined to own the show

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Only worth it if it includes the far superior reboot episodes.

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

STANDARD!?

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Keep in mind there actually was a Blu-ray release about a year ago and apparently it's great. Still stewing about that since I finally bought the DVDs about a year prior.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I guess the HD version never got a digital
Release.

If it does it gets updated though

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you
I'd nearly get a copy if it's the original evening airings. The only place that has them here, the British Channel 4 streaming service, shows it in the early morning and afternoon on broadcast tv so all the episodes on their streams are also cut for a PG rating.

The episode with the b-plot of Niles buying weed and Martin getting high, all references to drugs cut so Martin is just acting a bit silly for no reason and it has no resolution.

The Carlos and the Chicken episode. They cut out the word rear end so it's the Fraiser Crane's Humongous ... Contest, with his neighbour now trying take a photo of his behind for seemingly no reason. And they cut the best line from it. The spliced audio the duo made of Frasier and Roz having sex is ruined with all risque lines deleted. 'Love does enter through the nose' made that scene and they cut it.

I've rewatched bunch of my favourites and just keep noticing all the punchlines they've removed.

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008

Marenghi posted:

The episode with the b-plot of Niles buying weed and Martin getting high, all references to drugs cut so Martin is just acting a bit silly for no reason and it has no resolution.

I watched all of Cheers and Frasier like a year back on 4OD and this wasn't cut for me, or if some of it was it was still clear Martin had a weed brownie or whatever.

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play
I imported the Blu-Ray set to the UK (region free) and it was worth it as the picture quality is such an improvement on the Channel 4 SD quality broadcasts. Plus the lack of censorship - so many cut lines I've never heard (eg the first time I've ever heard Daphne say 'fellatio') and the weed episode just never gets aired in the 0830-0930 in the morning time slot. I'm sure they've played the "Frasier Crane's humongous rear end" jingle though.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I absolutely adore googling Frasier Blu Ray and not seeing a single result from Canada, consider ordering from Amazon US and then thinking about the process of having to insert a loving disc to watch it every time. How in motherfucking 2023 can they not release it on loving digital?

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

Is there no way to rip a blu ray?

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Dokapon Findom posted:

Is there no way to rip a blu ray?

There absolutely is

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Yeah my eventual dream plan is to set up a Frasier Plex playlist that can be shuffled and serve up nothing but bangers in HD every time

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.
Beyond the obvious plus of convenience, streaming kind of sucks anyway. Sound and picture quality is at the mercy of how well it's been compressed and varies wildly; some 4k streams look worse than 1080p. And recently we've seen certain platforms dropping large amounts of their libraries for supposed tax reasons. Hold onto your physical media!

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Frasieroullete is a streaming service that's free but requires you to make an account. The interface consists of one button that plays a random episode of Frasier. The catch? You must watch the episode it plays you, in its entirety, before you are allowed to watch another.

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

Uh-oh, someone's put "Beware of Greeks" on loop! :twisted:

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Frasieroullete is a streaming service that's free but requires you to make an account. The interface consists of one button that plays a random episode of Frasier. The catch? You must watch the episode it plays you, in its entirety, before you are allowed to watch another.

I love the new direction the Saw movies are taking.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I'm usually an HD snob but after watching Frasier as I have over the last 10 years, I'm more willing to concede for comfort.

I didn't know Plex could do playlists, can you set it up to shuffle multiple shows? I've often considered setting up an always-on display for this purpose

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play
I got my set from Movie Zyng who sell it on behalf of CBS. My one issue with the set is they replaced the old Paramount logo at the end of the credits with the much poorer, modern CBS one.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

I love the new direction the Saw movies are taking.

I'm envisioning a bear trap over my head and every time I struggle to get it off it says "Oh, really, Niles!"

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
I am ... WOUNDED

No, really, I have severe blood loss from my untreated ankle stump

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

(I can't) GET OOUUUTTT!!!

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The plumber episode but their school bullies were Mario and Luigi

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

God I love John C McGinley

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

TheWorldsaStage posted:

God I love John C McGinley

Rewatched The Hudsucker Proxy the other week and I'd completely forgotten how great he was as the scenery-chewing editor. The man was a loving treasure.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

This is pretty much one of the channels on PlutoTV (a free streaming service).

roomtwofifteen
Jul 18, 2007

Cessna posted:

This is pretty much one of the channels on PlutoTV (a free streaming service).

No joke just went to look at PlutoTV and the Sitcom Legends channel is playing Frasier. Amazing

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

https://youtu.be/aorUJlAPdbc?si=BsNlPt5cm4u4Cyns

Maybe my impression is tainted by being aware of his real life politics. But something about this gives me almost a... whatever the name of that evil faced televangelist is vibe

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

Modal Auxiliary posted:

The man was a loving treasure.

He's still alive, you bastard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008

biznatchio posted:

He's still alive, you bastard.