Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Another match from Destructathon. Banshee seems to have done some nice upgrades on their bot! Even if their opponent wasn't very effective.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8b9-ro_Ingo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009
Love their little jaunt around the upper deck.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Yeah heroic effort to jump onto the Upper Deck and keep the fight going since the opponent couldn't self right (or do much of anything else)

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

PostNouveau posted:

Yeah heroic effort to jump onto the Upper Deck and keep the fight going since the opponent couldn't self right (or do much of anything else)

They got to put on a great show at Destructathon. Banshee definitely one of the teams trying to prove they deserve to be part of Championship 8. Especially if they keep it locked at 50 bots.

Plus maybe Destructathon is paying teams nicely enough for them to want to keep getting invited back... It's likely a pretty cheap show to do for Las Vegas shows so maybe there's some money left for the proving ground teams.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Pretty much a totally worthless teaser for Champions II... They must have got some scab to do the writing / voice over for this poo poo because it's terrible. Or maybe it's some lovely text to speech, I dunno.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNeL050HAR4

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009
The Hacksmith guys are putting in a bot that's autonomous. Or semi-autonomous at least.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=suv6DtRLnMw

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Bertha the Toaster posted:

The Hacksmith guys are putting in a bot that's autonomous. Or semi-autonomous at least.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=suv6DtRLnMw

First Autonomous Battlebot*

*Chomp doesn't count.

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009
That was the exact thought I had.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Erasing the only bot to beat Bite Force

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

The 2nd night match of the Doom Vs Cat Kong / Mortician match.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3sfdX2cq8Uk

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

The 2nd night match of the Doom Vs Cat Kong / Mortician match.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3sfdX2cq8Uk

fun to see ray billings back in the saddle

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Oh also for those without weekend plans. Saturday is the next NHRL event. It's also the last event before this years championships in November. So a lot of teams are really going to be bringing their A game to the event (pretty sure NHRL is giving away the big $$$ grants for the championship again). It appears that Riobotz is bringing two bots to the event as well as another Brazillian team with this bot that competed in May (and already has a spot in the November championship).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7MK13y7_SHQ&t=22036s

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

For those interested. The NHRL stream for the day is ongoing. The Vasquez's have made the trip out along with I believe 3 or 4 Brazil teams, so the chat is very active.

158 - 3lb Bots, 37 - 12lb bots and 24 - 30lb bots

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HIjUP4GSCKQ

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Happy bot bashing day! They're doing a lot of the 3lb/12lb's before the 30lbs at the moment, the cages are already a mess

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Really fun final 4 fights in the NHRL 12 & 30lb weight classes with Kevin Milczewski with his Claw Viper builds going up against the Brazilian vert bots. (5 Brazil teams, 2 from Kevin, plus 1 from the Bee / Honeycracked team made up final 4 of both classes)

Remalle
Feb 12, 2020

If you're going to watch just one fight from the stream, it has to be Synthesis vs. Lynx and Droopy at the same time. Some of the finest driving I've ever seen.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Remalle posted:

If you're going to watch just one fight from the stream, it has to be Synthesis vs. Lynx and Droopy at the same time. Some of the finest driving I've ever seen.

This is a really good fight that I missed Saturday.

I also find it funny that Lynx couldn't get qualified for the final by itself this year. So they will have to bring the Droopy / Lynx Booty Brigade combo back for the final.

Also speaking of the final. NHRL already has a page up with all the bots that have qualified and will be competing in the November final. And NHRL has most fights for bots on their bot pages, timestamped videos from their live stream, which is cool.

https://wiki.nhrl.io/wiki/index.php/2023_Championships

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

A Scorpios Vlog with behind the scenes from destruct a thon, and I guess fights next week.

Sadly there is a short bit at around the 15 minute mark, although the sound is terrible, seems like maybe Battlebots is still negotiating with networks for Championship 8 and hoping for 1st half of 2024 to film... Also of course, the mini Champions season premiers tomorrow, hopefully will be on Discovery+ late tonight / thursday morning. (Also they are raising the price of it next month...)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NO31xadY98A

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Oh and this is the bracket for this weeks fights.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Oh and this is the bracket for this weeks fights.

Probably Skorpios, Rotator has a shot, unfortunate that Terrortops' first real fight is probably going to be getting annihilated by one of the stronger bots.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Rotator over Skorpios is my pick, but I freely admit it's an underdog. Skorpios has a good track record and there's nothing else on either side that fills me with confidence.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
I believe. I'm calling it.

Shreddit Bro over Skorpios in Round 1.

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009
Video of Taco Tuesday at Proving Grounds. I really like the idea of the drive system on this, I hope they get it really dialled in because it could become a really good bot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8zjytSrRmmU

Bodyholes
Jun 30, 2005

Great Beer posted:

Rotator over Skorpios is my pick, but I freely admit it's an underdog. Skorpios has a good track record and there's nothing else on either side that fills me with confidence.

This would be my thought too. Skorpios has a good record against horizontal spinners, but Rotator plays the ground game better than any other HS and better than Skorpios, I feel.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

So this is my first year having Discovery+, since season 9 episode 1 is tonight at 8 on like, the regular channel, does anyone know when I can stream it on plus? 8 pacific time, or do they like delay it until tomorrow?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

The Fuzzy Hulk posted:

So this is my first year having Discovery+, since season 9 episode 1 is tonight at 8 on like, the regular channel, does anyone know when I can stream it on plus? 8 pacific time, or do they like delay it until tomorrow?

When I had it, they would put Battlebots on like 4 a.m. Thursday morning.

I turned it off because I have Max, and Max definitely does not do that.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

ok Shreddit Bro, show me more

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Great Beer posted:

lol welp

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

ok Shreddit Bro, show me more

well drat

they showed a lot :stare:

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

It's a shame it took them so long to get shreddit working that well, it's pretty drat entertaining when it works.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Hell yeah new Battlebots

I can't believe how well Shreddit Bro did against Skorpios. It has never run that well for that long before. That is very cool to see it come together.

Terrortops really took a licking there. Weapon kept spinning. Rotator was a bad matchup for them.

God I hate the "strategically power down the weapon" move. This fight could have been Switchback blasting Kraken to bits, but instead we get a boring pushing match.

Ominous Valkyrie was an interesting one. It's weird that they did the same probing attacks for 2 minutes and then all of a sudden one of those jabs was an enormous "both bots go flying in opposite directions" one for no apparent reason.

Shreddit Bro starting to resemble a janky version of Minotaur when it's dialed in. Switchback was never in that fight.

Valkyrie-Rotator was so similar to Valkyrie-Ominous, just without the big finishing shot. I think Victor Soto's usual strategy of running plow-first hurt him a lot in this one because Valkyrie is the one attacking with the weapon the whole time. Can't win control and aggression that way. If he doesn't damage the other bot with the plow to set up shots with the blade, well you see how it went.

Shreddit Bro! Definitely the last bot I thought would come out of this bracket. I would have believed Terrortops could win before Shreddit Bro. I'm sure the judges were glad to see the KO because I don't know who was winning on the scorecards when Valkyrie gave out.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Nice to see the bonus awards finally! Didn't really expect the sportsmanship award, but I get it. The others I'm down with. Not even MaD about MaDCatTer , since Martin Mason is always so down-to-earth and sincere whenever he drops the gimmick.

Regarding the actual matches, lots of upsets, but I will say that Victor Soto went exactly as far as he deserved with how he's minmaxed defense in recent seasons. Rotator can be cool! Come on, Victor! Do something!

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Good set of fights and good to see Shredditbro figuring out their issues and getting the bot mostly dialed in. Still obvious reliability issues since their weapon died really quick against Valkyrie. Doubt they stand any chance at all in the golden bolt. I assume Shreddit Bro is going to be an "8" seed if they do seeds and will end up fighting End Game or Sawblaze...

Was cool that they gave Terrortops a spot in the slugfest considering they were just an alternate for the main season. Guess there's hope to see Rusty or the other alternates.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

PostNouveau posted:

God I hate the "strategically power down the weapon" move. This fight could have been Switchback blasting Kraken to bits, but instead we get a boring pushing match.

I'm not sure the weapon was still working well after the initial shutdown. They spun it up once but it was going slow and stopped immediately on contact. In that case it's definitely better to shut it down and hope it survives long enough to get you some points in the judges decision.

Also in champions they're doing potentially 3 fights in a single day where the main event may have several days between two fights. Damage is a real concern.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Great Beer posted:

Also in champions they're doing potentially 3 fights in a single day where the main event may have several days between two fights. Damage is a real concern.

Yikes, really? I wouldn't think it would be possible

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Great Beer posted:

I can't find any real sources on it from a quick search, but I'm relatively sure somewhere around Reddit is posted that the fights are not actually in a single day. Battlebots is a sport and a TV show and there's plenty of room for them to alter the truth a bit.

Person Dyslexic
Jul 23, 2007
Wow, that was a great night of fights. Wasn’t expecting much from the bracket but was excited to be wrong.

I think I was honestly most impressed by the improvement in Valkyrie’s driving… I never thought they’d get as far as they did. Looked like a completely different not from last season, but I suppose getting to actually practice driving the drat thing makes a huge difference.

Really surprised the Bros came out on top, but I worry about their survivability considering the damage they took to their weapon. I hope they came with some backup drums but judging by their reaction in the pits after the bout with switchback I’m guessing they didn’t. Last thing you want is to end up against endgame or sawblaze with a busted up weapon.

Speaking of switchback they’ve seriously got to figure out what is up with their weapon; The belts shouldn’t be flying off after the first hits but it happened in both their fights. They should have roasted Kraken but they just lost all power to weapon and had to resort to being a tank.

Also RIP Scorpios and Kraken, I really don’t think those two are ever going anywhere again without some serious redesign. Too bad because I really like their teams and enthusiasm but man, you can pretty much pencil them in as a free win for any of the A tier teams (Maybe even the B tier teams at this point too).

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
It's interesting that Sawblaze is the reining champ and Skorpios is mid-tier and falling.

I think plow shape plays a big role, and Jamison Go has the much better idea with the scoop while Skorpios has these weird little riser things in the middle of their plow that push opponents away, which is at odds with the goal of hitting them with the hammer saw.

I think they're intended to be like forks and get under the opponent, but they don't seem to work at all.

And then driving. I don't think Skorpios driver could ever snipe a battery with only 1-3 chances per fight like Jamison Go can.

PostNouveau fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Oct 6, 2023

Person Dyslexic
Jul 23, 2007

PostNouveau posted:

It's interesting that Sawblaze is the reining champ and Skorpios is mid-tier and falling.

I think plow shape plays a big role, and Jamison Go has the much better idea with the scoop while Skorpios has these weird little riser things in the middle of their plow that push opponents away, which is at odds with the goal of hitting them with the hammer saw.

I think they're intended to be like forks and get under the opponent, but they don't seem to work at all.

And then driving. I don't think Skorpios driver could ever snipe a battery with only 1-3 chances per fight like Jamison Go can.

That weird riser thing in the middle is weird as all hell from a design perspective; Never really thought about how at-odds it was with the rest of the design. You also nailed it with the driving and I think that probably factors in more than anything else. I’ve noticed Scorpios loves to just come in swinging early in the match and usually ends up f’ing their weapon up when it hits a drum or vert. Sawblaze is WAY more surgical and Jamison has insane patience with timing his shots.

It’s like comparing Minotaur to Shreddit; even if Shreddit was 100% reliable I’d pick Freitas every time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

PostNouveau posted:

Jamison Go has recruited a team of very talented engineers to be part of his robot combat team. He also gets more driving time and upgrades testing with his 30lb Megatron bot.