Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

gradenko_2000 posted:

Passenger princess ftw

that's right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/BFryback/status/1708737893139886487

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

motorists inventing new slurs to call each other

https://twitter.com/mailonline/status/1708813345778700786

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Aerial photos of downtown Toronto in the 70s look exactly like this.

Apr 7, 2003

looking very English

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

looking very English

he looks like the daily mail personified. I’m surprised they’re not hailing him as a hero for defending cars from s**g’s, v***t’s and z*******b’s

Apr 7, 2003

England doesn't even make any loving cars anymore afaik, why are they so horny about them

the english not actually making any cars anymore was a central joke on Keeping Up Appearances and that was over thirty years ago

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

Gladwell: the thinking Lib's Pinker

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I don't think I've ever had a car that was less than ten years old, so I guess I can look forward to joining in on the fun in the 2030s.

I might have been beaten but until the 2021 car price insanity it was easy to get a Nissan Leaf in good shape for less than $6k

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

England doesn't even make any loving cars anymore afaik, why are they so horny about them
gotta show the non-car-having plebs who’s boss

Twerk from Home posted:

I might have been beaten but until the 2021 car price insanity it was easy to get a Nissan Leaf in good shape for less than $6k
here in scandiland their stupid batteries are all shot to hell from being (dis)charged at wild temperatures.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

https://twitter.com/berkie1/status/1708521709291118868?s=20

quote:

New research efforts are only just beginning to reveal the impact of near-invisible tire and brake dust. A report from the Pew Charitable Trust found that 78 percent of ocean microplastics are from synthetic tire rubber. These toxic particles often end up ingested by marine animals, where they can cause neurological effects, behavioral changes, and abnormal growth.

Meanwhile, British firm Emissions Analytics spent three years studying tires. The group found that a single car's four tires collectively release 1 trillion "ultrafine" particles for every single kilometer (0.6 miles) driven. These particles, under 100 nanometers in size, are so tiny that they can pass directly through the lungs and into the blood. They can even cross the body's blood-brain barrier. The Imperial College London has also studied the issue, noting that "There is emerging evidence that tire wear particles and other particulate matter may contribute to a range of negative health impacts including heart, lung, developmental, reproductive, and cancer outcomes.”

It's an emissions problem that won't go away with the transition to EVs, either. According to data from Emissions Analytics, EVs tend to shed around 20 percent more from their tires due to their higher weight and high torque compared to traditional internal combustion engine-powered vehicles.

Indeed, the scale of these emissions is significant. Particulate emissions from tires and brakes, particularly in the PM2.5 and PM10 size ranges, are believed to exceed the mass of tailpipe emissions from modern vehicle fleets, as per a study published in Science of the Total Environment this year.

Norton
Feb 18, 2006

I finally moved to a house within biking distance of the grocery store. it feels immediately life changing to not be reliant on a car to get food. I can just pop up and grab some fresh veg any time I need to as if I'm a normal human living in a normal society instead of an idiot trapped in the pixar Cars universe.

My old place was like an island with no pedestrian infrastructure for miles, just busy highways loaded with trucks.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

sat on my keys! posted:

they’re going to grow up and buy a SFH like a real adult, obviously

I have a sfh and it didn't come with a garage

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

any post can be a kannapost
if you want it to be

gradenko_2000 posted:

Passenger princess ftw

my mom drive me lol

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

as soon as this gets any serious attention you'll see the whataboutism that bike tires are made from the exact same poo poo

e: and we'll be implored to save the environment by buying more expensive, worse bike tires instead of doing anything about cars

Clark Nova has issued a correction as of 16:35 on Oct 2, 2023

Maed
Aug 23, 2006

ah yes great to see "new research" found something we've talked about for years here

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Norton posted:

I finally moved to a house within biking distance of the grocery store. it feels immediately life changing to not be reliant on a car to get food. I can just pop up and grab some fresh veg any time I need to as if I'm a normal human living in a normal society instead of an idiot trapped in the pixar Cars universe.

My old place was like an island with no pedestrian infrastructure for miles, just busy highways loaded with trucks.

it's really pretty incredible when you first are like "it'll take me 10 minutes to walk or bike for a couple things"

now if only anyone could afford rent in those places

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

When the rubber hits the road (and enters your bloodstream and the Gulf Stream).

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

if you want it to be

Norton posted:

i live 200m from a grocery store and only have to cross one road, its very nice

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I definitely go to the grocery store once a day just because it's a block away and they have corn dogs ready 2 go.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
What's a s**g.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

not much, whats s**g with u

mystes
May 31, 2006

withak posted:

What's a s**g.
s**g, ** **** ****, ** * ****** **** *** *** ********** *****-**** *********** ********* *******. *** **** **** ** **** ***** **** ** **** ** *** ****** **** ** *** ********* ******* **** *** ** *****, * **** ******* *****, ** **** * ***** ******** *****, ************ *** ***** *** **** ***** (**** ** ** ******** ** *** ****** **** *****, ***** ******* ** ********** **** **** * ****** ***** ***** ****** **** **** *** ***** ******* ***** **** ***** **** **).

hope that helps

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

withak posted:

What's a s**g.

Slug

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Slag

Sorry, does that ruin the fun?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Slag

Mods?

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Slag

ban

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Slag

:mods:

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

if you want it to be

withak posted:

What's a s**g.

stug

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Slag

Hey some of us are reading this at work.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
a spog

Horace
Apr 17, 2007

Gone Skiin'

Maed posted:

ah yes great to see "new research" found something we've talked about for years here

hmm tyres have 8mm tread when brand new and 1mm when worn out, weird how that 7mm of rubber just goes away, to nowhere

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

the english not actually making any cars anymore was a central joke on Keeping Up Appearances and that was over thirty years ago

i love keeping up appearances idk why. the main actress and supporting cast are just perfect

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Real hurthling! posted:

i love keeping up appearances idk why. the main actress and supporting cast are just perfect

it's a good rear end show

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

Maed posted:

Anybody who's ever washed a car knows that tires and brakes produce a massive amount of filthy dust, and anybody who's ever cycled on the road in the rain knows you get covered in road grime from all the poo poo cars and trucks produce.

If only steel wheels on steel rails yada yada you know the joke, to be fair train wheels and tracks do wear albeit slowly, and they do have friction brakes but electric trains can do a majority of their braking using non-contact regen or eddy current braking. Overall far less poo poo production per person per km.

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

Horace posted:

hmm tyres have 8mm tread when brand new and 1mm when worn out, weird how that 7mm of rubber just goes away, to nowhere

not all, but most of it is just rubbed onto the road surface under regular use, a tire can't adhere a cars weight to the road surface without depositing rubber onto it like an eraser, it's leaving microscopic amounts any time it moves or stops moving but it's not putting much into the air at all under normal use just bc tires stick to themselves, if they flaked regularly or anything like that you'd see the rubber marking in the wheelwell like if its been doing a burnout

tire smoke & brake dust are both super bad for you tho

brake pad material is v much like asbestos as-is, then braking grinds them into an invisibly fine dust while heating up to like 1500°, making other awful poo poo every single time they're used and it all gets whipped onto the air like a big wake off every wheel

i figure it's a massive unrecognized cause of respiratory cancers

Horace
Apr 17, 2007

Gone Skiin'

oh good, I don't have to worry about this then

Fitzy Fitz posted:

quote:

Meanwhile, British firm Emissions Analytics spent three years studying tires. The group found that a single car's four tires collectively release 1 trillion "ultrafine" particles for every single kilometer (0.6 miles) driven. These particles, under 100 nanometers in size, are so tiny that they can pass directly through the lungs and into the blood. They can even cross the body's blood-brain barrier. The Imperial College London has also studied the issue, noting that "There is emerging evidence that tire wear particles and other particulate matter may contribute to a range of negative health impacts including heart, lung, developmental, reproductive, and cancer outcomes.”

It's an emissions problem that won't go away with the transition to EVs, either. According to data from Emissions Analytics, EVs tend to shed around 20 percent more from their tires due to their higher weight and high torque compared to traditional internal combustion engine-powered vehicles.

Indeed, the scale of these emissions is significant. Particulate emissions from tires and brakes, particularly in the PM2.5 and PM10 size ranges, are believed to exceed the mass of tailpipe emissions from modern vehicle fleets, as per a study published in Science of the Total Environment this year.

Apr 7, 2003

Real hurthling! posted:

The big joke about Richard's car is that it's a formerly expensive brand that he could only afford once they just started selling rebadged Hondas

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

actionjackson posted:

how are all the people who don't have indoor garage parking going to charge these EVs at home again

A lot of the single-family homes in Seattle have small, below-grade garages. I see a lot of those with cars parked in the driveway because modern cars don't fit them. One of my neighbors has an F150 parked in front of his, and it very clearly is too large in all three dimensions to fit.

So, this is an issue that also hits SFH owners, especially for vehicles like the Rivian.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Clark Nova posted:

as soon as this gets any serious attention you'll see the whataboutism that bike tires are made from the exact same poo poo

e: and we'll be implored to save the environment by buying more expensive, worse bike tires instead of doing anything about cars

Does the same formula for road wear--where it's like a square of weight--apply to tire wear? So, like, a two-ton Tesla would be putting out about 25,000 times as much rubber as an 80-pound e-bike?