Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
It's a shame because the concept of Made In Abyss is really good
Just not...the continual super gross bits. I remember posting in the thread about it and people going "what child sex stuff"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Taear posted:

It's a shame because the concept of Made In Abyss is really good
Just not...the continual super gross bits. I remember posting in the thread about it and people going "what child sex stuff"

This exactly, it's a genuinely fascinating take on a of journey of self discovery soured by the the authors fetishes. Common story but still a sad one. Like the monsters and the other things she discovers down there are equal parts amazing and horrifying. But the caveat she has to be tortured in increasingly gross ways to get there is....just not it for me.

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel
Ok, wow, yeah, definitely don't sleep on Fionna and Cake. I do hope the team gets to make more in the universe as they definitely have the talent for it.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Got to watch the new Castlevania today. I can't say I liked it. I feel like there's too much random unexplained stuff and the only character I really like out of the protagonists is Annette.
Also man american shows really need to be better with accents. Having everyone be british (or german I guess) and then the Abbot doing a french accent is just weird, I dunno

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Doing my rewatch of Adventure Time and the original Fionna & Cake episode being from season 3 is doing my head in.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I'm one of those idiots who didn't pick up on sex stuff in MIA and was so confused by peoples' reactions to it. Never read the manga, but Monster is one of my favorite anythings ever so I was keen to see more Masayuki Kojima direction.

I blame being ace and also a lifelong horror fan. I'm dense and desensitized. ):

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Das Boo posted:

I'm one of those idiots who didn't pick up on sex stuff in MIA and was so confused by peoples' reactions to it. Never read the manga, but Monster is one of my favorite anythings ever so I was keen to see more Masayuki Kojima direction.

I blame being ace and also a lifelong horror fan. I'm dense and desensitized. ):

To be fair it's probably easier to pick up in the anime than the manga as the anime has y'know...the sounds to emphasize certain scenes.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I was just like, "Haha, this is pretty and spooky! :dumb:"

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world Diabeetus.

Taear posted:

Got to watch the new Castlevania today. I can't say I liked it. I feel like there's too much random unexplained stuff and the only character I really like out of the protagonists is Annette.
Also man american shows really need to be better with accents. Having everyone be british (or german I guess) and then the Abbot doing a french accent is just weird, I dunno

I have to say I enjoy it but I've been in love with Castlevania since 1987. There is an absolute metric poo poo load of stuff in the show that really needs to give you better background and there are easter egg cameos that made me giggle like an idiot but my wife is just left shrugging.

I really hope they get to Symphony of the Night, but I'd be even more impressed if they could do Simon Belmont.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Das Boo posted:

That's how most folks see it, to be honest.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Dawgstar posted:

That's how most folks see it, to be honest.

Thank you, this makes me feel a little less awful. When I saw it was banned in ADTRW to so much agreement, it kinda freaked me out. The same forum has a thread dedicated to Mushoku Tensei and that creeped me out so badly I had to check out, so what the gently caress is wrong with me?

Jes' living blissfully in my ignorance!

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Das Boo posted:

Thank you, this makes me feel a little less awful. When I saw it was banned in ADTRW to so much agreement, it kinda freaked me out. The same forum has a thread dedicated to Mushoku Tensei and that creeped me out so badly I had to check out, so what the gently caress is wrong with me?

Jes' living blissfully in my ignorance!

I once accidentally blundered into having what I thought was a goofy back and forth with an actual nazi so I feel your pain friend. In my defense I had no idea about their political affiliation and they were using A LOT of weird terms that completely went over my head. Someone had to actually point out to me their references to the Dark Crystal and the Skeksis were actually about the jews. But looking back yeah that was what they were actually talking about. The world is full of horribly confusing poo poo sometimes.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Krapopolis good. I like they're not being stingy with the gods, and the wolf subplot slayed me.

I has talking to a mate about episode two, and he argued (convincingly) that the jokes about anachronisms aren't super great, but the character jokes and the civilisation satire is, and I think that's probably where I stand too. I imagine that once the show is done establishing what it is and what the cast are like it'll transition into something that won't need those jokes as much anymore, probably around the time it starts playing with its own setting.

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

looked up Made in Abyss and as someone who came up in anime as a teen and is a casual enjoyer in adulthood as soon as I saw the character designs I was like "ah man people were definitely weird about this". Wish that wasn't my immediate thought but it's a real "Mr. Policeman I left you all the clues" rear end art style

Doc Fission fucked around with this message at 12:48 on Oct 2, 2023

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
it's a shame when an author's behavior and/or twisted interests get in the way of otherwise interesting work.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
I've binged through Castlevania Nocturne (just about to start the last episode now) and I have to echo some of the discussion about it from the last page unfortunately, it's not entirely bad or anything, just not as good as the previous one and largely forgettable.

I don't have a problem with them killing multiple vampires so easily for example, I assume the basic vampires they're killing are like the basic soldier ones they mow down in the previous one with complete ease, it's just they haven't really had any scenes that feel like they've taken effort on the part of the heroes otherwise so those basic vampires are basically the baseline and totality of what we've seen.

For me it's the writing, it jumps between plot points with wildly varying frequency, relatively simple things the viewer could intuit get huge expository scenes but seemingly quite important stuff gets a one sentence explanation. Also there are way too many characters with the backstory of "a vampire killed a loved one in front of me, had me at their absolute mercy and then the vampire flew off/let me escape with no explanation as to why".

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Doc Fission posted:

looked up Made in Abyss and as someone who came up in anime as a teen and is a casual enjoyer in adulthood as soon as I saw the character designs I was like "ah man people were definitely weird about this". Wish that wasn't my immediate thought but it's a real "Mr. Policeman I left you all the clues" rear end art style

I did the same when people were talking about it on the last page. First thing I thought when I saw a screenshot was, "Oh, it's one of those. Ew."

I really enjoyed anime waaaaay back when I was young and would watch or read anything. But I just can't get past the creepy bullshit that's all too rife in the medium now.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Das Boo posted:

She puts a broom up his bum and there's a bit where they're in water and she asks him about his erection.
It's weird, even WITHOUT the torture bits.

Carlton Banks Teller
Nov 18, 2004

Megillah Gorilla posted:

I did the same when people were talking about it on the last page. First thing I thought when I saw a screenshot was, "Oh, it's one of those. Ew."

I really enjoyed anime waaaaay back when I was young and would watch or read anything. But I just can't get past the creepy bullshit that's all too rife in the medium now.

I feel this so hard. I wish I could get into it because I love animation but there just ... if it isn't overt fan-service weirdness I just am not a fan of hard-line gender roles and that seems to be where Japanese media is (at least in regards to women).

Speaking of controversial opinions: I hated Scrappy as the villain of Fionna and Cake. I think they could have changed very little plotwise and had Time be the singular impetus for needing to jump worlds. He was just a bit too cartoony, in this, the cartoon I am watching. The real fights were Simon vs. himself and Fionna vs. herself, and Scrappy being like 'woo hoo goofy i got bug legs haha!' kind of detracted from that for me. :(

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Carlton Banks Teller posted:

Speaking of controversial opinions: I hated Scrappy as the villain of Fionna and Cake. I think they could have changed very little plotwise and had Time be the singular impetus for needing to jump worlds. He was just a bit too cartoony, in this, the cartoon I am watching. The real fights were Simon vs. himself and Fionna vs. herself, and Scrappy being like 'woo hoo goofy i got bug legs haha!' kind of detracted from that for me. :(

I read that as Starchy for a second there and I was really concerned about what episodes of AT I missed :ohdear:

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Carlton Banks Teller posted:

He reminded me a lot of the guy in Andor that is just obsessed with catching Cassian to his own detriment, just because he feels like its always important to follow the rules to the letter as well as because he serves not the empire itself but an idealized version of the empire that he's constructed in his mind.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
What the hell? I genuinely liked the new Simpsons episode quite a bit. Am I dying?

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Taear posted:

She puts a broom up his bum and there's a bit where they're in water and she asks him about his erection.
It's weird, even WITHOUT the torture bits.

I took the former to underscore that she sees him as a non-human tool and the latter to contradict her view and make you ask what the purpose of this robot even was. Both are reinforced in less weird ways (I remember him wondering why he even has a belly button and she keeps telling him he shouldn't feel this or that, he's just a robot), and I chalked the weird ones up to Japan just pushing things further again. Mind I'm not defending the author- You're right, he's an absolute creep. I just gloss over poo poo like that real bad if there's other things I like, and there was a lot in MIA that I really loved.

I'm going to hazard a guess that it stems from my real-life coping mechanism of ignoring gross men as hard as possible so I can keep enjoying myself. Playing dumb became embracing dumb and it broke a part of my brain.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

cant cook creole bream posted:

What the hell? I genuinely liked the new Simpsons episode quite a bit. Am I dying?

They occasionally have the good episode and they've weirdly been trying to do bits of character exploration at least once a season once they hit the 30s I think. Like there's an entire Skinner and Chalmers spotlight episode that's still kinda mid but also very refreshing in that they put a focus on aspect of the characters that don't tend to get looked at too closely. They also do a Family Guy-esque fight scene which is also novel for the Simpsons itself.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Yeah zombie simpsons can put out like 1 or 2 decent episodes a season now, as opposed to their old average of 0

Caros
May 14, 2008

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Thank you for posting this. I was so loving confused why people hated this series so much and how I somehow missed all of these undertones.

Only to realize I was thinking Promised Neverland. Whoops.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Caros posted:

Thank you for posting this. I was so loving confused why people hated this series so much and how I somehow missed all of these undertones.

Only to realize I was thinking Promised Neverland. Whoops.

I honestly hope one day they actually give us a season two for The Promised Neverland. :negative:

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Vandar posted:

I honestly hope one day they actually give us a season two for The Promised Neverland. :negative:

A proper Season 2.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Waffle! posted:

I read that as Starchy for a second there and I was really concerned about what episodes of AT I missed :ohdear:

Well towards the end of the series he was pretty clearly going down the road of conservative radio to conspiracy theories.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I bet the story behind what really happened with Promised Neverland is so outrageous that we'll never get to hear it.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

limp_cheese posted:

A proper Season 2.

Season two at all. For some reason they did the first season and then just never finished it. A shame, really.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Vandar posted:

Season two at all. For some reason they did the first season and then just never finished it. A shame, really.

They did release a second season that ended the story.

It was so awful its probably better you continue believing it never happened. At least I wish I never knew avout it.

It might still be on NetFlix.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

limp_cheese posted:

They did release a second season that ended the story.

It was so awful its probably better you continue believing it never happened. At least I wish I never knew avout it.

It might still be on NetFlix.

No they didn't.

Never happened.

Don't lie to people ty. :colbert:

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Vandar posted:

No they didn't.

Never happened.

Don't lie to people ty. :colbert:

You're right, I'm sorry.

Ignore everything I said and my terrible poo poo posting!

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Flopsy posted:

Someone had to actually point out to me their references to the Dark Crystal and the Skeksis were actually about the jews. But looking back yeah that was what they were actually talking about. The world is full of horribly confusing poo poo sometimes.

What the gently caress?!? What were they saying?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Speaking of The Dark Crystal, how were the various comics and Age of Resistance out of curiosity?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Das Boo posted:

I'm going to hazard a guess that it stems from my real-life coping mechanism of ignoring gross men as hard as possible so I can keep enjoying myself. Playing dumb became embracing dumb and it broke a part of my brain.

Nah, I get it, it's very understandable. I've watched a lot of stuff that is either straight up bad or has hosed up elements because of a good premise or good art or good action scenes or good [insert element] buried in the rough. You just like, train your subconscious to filter the bad because the parts you liked were real good. I feel like there must be some term for it. It's not like hate-watching, but it's not really sunk cost fallacy either...

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
It's either being discerning or learning to appreciate the bad with the good.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

I really like Riding Bean, but it can be a rough sell with how abusive the main villain is. Everything else is so amazing though!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

TwoPair posted:

Nah, I get it, it's very understandable. I've watched a lot of stuff that is either straight up bad or has hosed up elements because of a good premise or good art or good action scenes or good [insert element] buried in the rough. You just like, train your subconscious to filter the bad because the parts you liked were real good. I feel like there must be some term for it. It's not like hate-watching, but it's not really sunk cost fallacy either...

What was the joke The Onion or maybe Hard Drive made? "This really good anime has only 30% caveats."

Waffle! posted:

I really like Riding Bean, but it can be a rough sell with how abusive the main villain is. Everything else is so amazing though!

I was a big fan of Gunsmith Cats until years later they stopped upping the age of a certain character which made a lot of stuff related to her terrible and it was on very shaky ground before.