Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I made (badly-rolled) Gỏi Cuốn, rice paper spring rolls, today. With beef, mushrooms, onion, garlic, cucumber, and chili pepper and mint from the garden :sun:

also a homemade dipping sauce (rice vinegar, lime juice, garlic, chili, hoisin, fish sauce, pomegranate syrup), because the sauce I used to buy isnt in the shops here anymore. The sauce turned out delicious and was very easy to make, so thats good to know for the future. Much cheaper to make it myself and just as good :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

if u love food so much why dont u eat it

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

Pentecoastal Elites posted:

got it, thanks all. I'll give it a try soon. maybe this weekend?

trip report: pretty good
first off I have no idea why I didn't put any tinfoil on my baking sheets. dumbass

they were definitely crispy, though I think over-rendered and not as juicy as fried wings. Probably not something I can affect too much but next time I'll try cooking them lower and slower. I left them in the fridge in baking powder+ salt + corn starch and while it worked great for the skin it gave any exposed flesh a weird texture, which you can probably see above. Not really a big deal when sauced etc. I think I still prefer grilled if I'm doing them at home, but this is an easy choice for when it's too cold to fire up the grill. I'm going to try this will a full chicken soon, maybe under a brick, and see if I can get an ultra crispy skin with that.

thanks, all

e:fixed

Pentecoastal Elites has issued a correction as of 17:16 on Oct 2, 2023

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
baking POWDER

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

But have you considered whether the child murdered by the driver of that truck was riding an oversized bike?!?! Children riding oversized bikes are the scourge of our roadways!!
Looks a bit like the turkey my grandmother roasts for Thanksgiving, the skin is crispy but it's not a good crispy

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

lol I did it too -- I said soda but used powder.

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

fwiw I followed the J. Kenji Lopez-Alt vid but I left my wings in the fridge for about 7 hours

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

But have you considered whether the child murdered by the driver of that truck was riding an oversized bike?!?! Children riding oversized bikes are the scourge of our roadways!!
I don't chill mine down, I usually let them come to room temperature before dressing and baking them. I get what it's supposed to do scientifically but it seems counterproductive to completely cool something down that you want heated up especially in the very middle. They can spend less time in the oven and the skin doesn't get overcooked

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i tried the kenji double frying method once and it was an unholy nightmare. the skin turned into glue and i ended up with these horrible gummy wing clusters no matter how much i tried to separate them. i don't quite know what went wrong, but it was bad enough i'm not inclined to try it again.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

i tried the kenji double frying method once and it was an unholy nightmare. the skin turned into glue and i ended up with these horrible gummy wing clusters no matter how much i tried to separate them. i don't quite know what went wrong, but it was bad enough i'm not inclined to try it again.

Sounds like the oil got too cool. Perhaps you added in too much at once or didn't let it heat all the way back up between rounds.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

smoking a tri tip with the boys this weekend and one of my assignments is chimichurri, something I haven't made before. Looks simple but does anyone have variations or tips?

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

made a really, really good chicken fricassee for my friends recently. served it over their choice of mashed potatoes or wide egg noodles. sides were creamed spinach and baked green beans.

they said it was literally the best meal of their entire lives which made me feel pretty good.

augias
Apr 7, 2009

i say swears online posted:

smoking a tri tip with the boys this weekend and one of my assignments is chimichurri, something I haven't made before. Looks simple but does anyone have variations or tips?

Keep it simple, olive oil, vinegar, garlic, parsley, oregano, and salt. Chilies if you want. Eyeball everything and taste taste taste.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

should I chop it all or can I immersion blend?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Weembles posted:

Sounds like the oil got too cool. Perhaps you added in too much at once or didn't let it heat all the way back up between rounds.

i used a thermometer. trying to deep fry without one of those or a deep fryer sounds like a real bad time.

augias
Apr 7, 2009

Just dont emulsify the chimichurri, or puree the ingredients. I would chop finely

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I've been thinking about caramelized onions for three days.

I think today is the day I do the caramelizing of the onions. prolly put some shallots in there too why not.

uninterrupted
Jun 20, 2011

chop it, wash the hell out of the herbs since parsley especially is dirty as gently caress, use a good olive oil, don't go nuts with the vinegar

grab one of those herb knives where you will the parsley stem through the little hole to peel it since it's annoying to pick that much parsley off stems

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

I think today is the day I do the caramelizing of the onions. prolly put some shallots in there too why not.

oh yeah toss in some shallots if you can. shallots + sweet onions are fantastic.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

if the wings are over rendered you should probably cook them at a higher temp for a shorter time.

check the temp on them too, i love those middle school cafeteria/lovely pizza place wings that are like beef jerky but you can cook them to like 150f inside if you want and they will be "super juicy" then

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

i made like 5 pounds of green chili pork and am almost done with that. had it as a stew over boiled potato chunks, soup with chicken or beef stock, cheese crisp, quesadilla, and a burrito. might dump the rest into mac and cheese tonight.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

uninterrupted posted:

chop it, wash the hell out of the herbs since parsley especially is dirty as gently caress, use a good olive oil, don't go nuts with the vinegar

Note that olive oil will go rancid, make sure you're using fresh. Chimichurri is one of those things where knife technique is super important. It needs to be both finely and evenly chopped. YouTube is lousy with videos of top chefs teaching good knife skills if you aren't feeling confident.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

Always a good idea to include some shallots, easiest way to fancy up a meal is to sub them for onions

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007
im making some butter cabbage noodles onions

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

1) man this guy's girlfriend sounds like the worst.

2) lmfao Jim Stock

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

my folding technique developed over time.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

lol i love when i make a bunch of something like wontons and i can see my technique change from first to last

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
What is FOS

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

lol i love when i make a bunch of something like wontons and i can see my technique change from first to last

Same.
When making cupcakes there's a curve from the first ones where I relearn how to pipe, and the last ones where I'm running out of frosting

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

HootTheOwl posted:

What is FOS

French onion soup.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

HootTheOwl posted:

Same.
When making cupcakes there's a curve from the first ones where I relearn how to pipe, and the last ones where I'm running out of frosting

i wish someone told me "the first crepe is always loving garbage don't worry about it" years ago

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

French onion soup.

lol did not expect that for what he described. honestly? probs a simple, decent method to judge mid- to top-tier restaurants but i don't go to those places and have never ordered french onion soup in a restaurant like that

i say swears online has issued a correction as of 03:58 on Oct 3, 2023

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

my folding technique developed over time.

These are some S-tier empanadas :discourse:

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I made Börek with white cheese, spinach and onion filling. They turned out well :3:

I still have a lot of yufka left, so later I think I'll make a batch of meat börek and one of potato börek so I've made all the classics

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

do you dip 'em in anything?? they look great

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Thanks! Sometimes we'll have them with turkish yoghurt or a little hot sauce, but thats more for the potato or meat börek. These white cheese and spinach ones are my favorites and stay really nice and moist inside so they dont really need it.
Oh, I also often have them with a side of turşu, a mix of pickled vegetables like cabbage,carrot, red onion and pepper, but I should make a new batch of that because I'm out. I think I posted one of my turşu attempts in this thread a while back, lets see. ah yeah:

ekuNNN has issued a correction as of 14:51 on Oct 5, 2023

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

ekuNNN posted:

I made Börek with white cheese, spinach and onion filling. They turned out well :3:

I still have a lot of yufka left, so later I think I'll make a batch of meat börek and one of potato börek so I've made all the classics

nice!!! it's challenging to do it right

do you dip 'em in anything?? they look great

it's not traditional to dip them in something, it has more of a spanakopita texture than a spring roll

ekuNNN posted:

Thanks! Sometimes we'll have them with turkish yoghurt or a little hot sauce, but thats more for the potato or meat börek. These white cheese and spinach ones are my favorites and stay really nice and moist inside so they dont really need it.
Oh, I also often have them with a side of turşu, a mix of pickled vegetables like cabbage,carrot, red onion and pepper, but I should make a new batch of that because I'm out. I think I posted one of my turşu attempts in this thread a while back, lets see. ah yeah:

this is very trad I like :)

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

for chili do you drain the tomatoes and beans at all before adding them? I don't and my chili is too liquidy at the end, so I put it in a strainer, but that's probably not great for the taste either.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

https://www.homesicktexan.com/more-precise-texas-chili-recipe/ :getin:

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

oh, i don't eat meat, but thank you anyway! and that recipe has way more stuff than I would want to go through the work for. I just do beans, tomatoes, whatever vegetables I feel like, and a lot of spices.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AxGrap
Jan 11, 2005

☝☯ Ŧ𝓤𝒸Ҝ 𝓨𝕠𝔲! 🐼👽

actionjackson posted:

oh, i don't eat meat, but thank you anyway! and that recipe has way more stuff than I would want to go through the work for. I just do beans, tomatoes, whatever vegetables I feel like, and a lot of spices.

Mashing some of the beans thickens it up real good that's what I usually do