Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Reminds me how some background characters wear enlisted or ensign uniforms even if they're middle-aged, and an alternate universe Picard remains at a lower rank despite his age and people are surprised when he seeks promotion and assume it's a mid-life crisis. Starfleet doesn't do up-or-out, and it makes complete sense both based on it being a genuinely egalitarian organisation... and also that it's a multi-species organisation, for that matter. Probably a silly idea to maintain human social strata by age when you also have Vulcans who can live for centuries, just for starters.

Angry Salami posted:

And a lot of the inconsistencies in the Federation world-building can then be explained if you assume the Federation's closer to the European Union or even the Holy Roman Empire than it is to a unitary state; it's an alliance of dozens of different political entities, most of which have histories stretching back centuries already, and some of those are themselves confederations of different political entities.

So, yeah, the Picard family has a nice vineyard because the French Eighth Republic still recognizes ancestral claims to large estates. The European Confederation doesn't neccisarily recognize such things, but its land use regulations are more like guidelines and don't automatically apply to member states unless ratified by their individual parliaments. The United Earth and Federation government institutions above them probably could override them and legally reallocate the land to more productive uses, but that sort of meddling in a sub-national unit is generally avoided. Now the African Confederation handles things differently and has more direct control over its member states - unlike the United States of Africa, which is based in Kenya and does things a third way.

Now if you were a citizen of Andoria, things would be both simpler and more complicated, as their laws are all based around pre-Federation Andorian Imperial Law - unless you're an Aenar, in which case you're considered a resident of a self governing autonomous zone that can ignore Imperial decrees...

This is also pretty consistent with how the Federation is usually shown, an extremely diverse entity where while there are specific requirements to qualify as a member world, otherwise kinda the point is that they're left alone to run things however works for them, even and especially if they're running a silly gimmick planet. It is brought up on occasion that democratic government isn't a requirement. (Though as a few episodes point out, caste-based discrimination is an explicit dealbreaker, and even then there's gray areas- what's going on with the Trill for starters)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Didn't the gangster planet end up joining the Federation?

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Reminds me how some background characters wear enlisted or ensign uniforms even if they're middle-aged, and an alternate universe Picard remains at a lower rank despite his age and people are surprised when he seeks promotion and assume it's a mid-life crisis.

Isnt that the episode where the "alternate universe" is that Picard literally never had an ounce of ambition?

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Nessus posted:

Didn't the gangster planet end up joining the Federation?

Kirk forces them to become a tribute state, later implying the federation will somehow rehabilitate the gangster's culture.

e: I watched TOS recently, maybe they go back in later series?

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

Isnt that the episode where the "alternate universe" is that Picard literally never had an ounce of ambition?

More like so risk-averse he never really succeeds in chasing any ambitions beyond "be in Starfleet," but yeah. He's got an artificial heart from a brawl gone bad when he was much younger, and it starts breaking down... and he's either having a near-death hallucination on the operating table or Q is having a grand old time loving with him, but he has the chance to "do it right" only to end up being someone who never really takes a risk and so never truly distinguishes himself.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

It's a Q-driven episode where Picard "dies" because his artificial heart breaks and Q gives him a chance to change the event that gave him the fake heart so that he can live. So he goes back and instead of getting stabbed in a bar fight defending his friend, he plays it safe, leading to a boring rear end life of taking no risks and being an old lieutenant. He asks Q to give him his old life back as he'd rather be him and die than be the boring play if safe guy.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
It's pretty funny given the stereotypes about them that Kirk was the nerd who carried a stack of books taller than his head at the academy, while Picard got stabbed in the heart in a bar fight and only a day before had gotten slapped for two-timing his dates.

Also I feel like a near-death hallucination where Q is having fun messing with him in new and exciting ways aren't mutually exclusive. I found that bit interesting, really, Q seems to be taking a genuine interest in helping Picard introspect.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

DalaranJ posted:

Kirk forces them to become a tribute state, later implying the federation will somehow rehabilitate the gangster's culture.

I heard one of the novels had them come back and find that they'd sort of become a sketched-out version of TOS Starfleet, complete with a starbase of their own design, and you now have to be very, very careful if you're going down to pay a visit.

Seemed like a cop out. They should be committed to their ancient traditions of being a 1920s gangster.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

neonchameleon posted:

Thank you. I'd bounced off the first two episodes. I'll try going back to it because I've wanted idealistic Trek.

tbh I think it only gets really good in the last two episodes of Season 1. it's great from there on in.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

tbh I think it only gets really good in the last two episodes of Season 1. it's great from there on in.

It's a solid Trek-related comedy by episode 8. The pilot is just bad and episode 2 is uncharacteristically mean-spirited, skip those and you get some good Star Trek comedy. The last two episodes of season 1 are legitimately good Star Trek, and it just keep getting better as it goes along. Like The Orville, the comedy drops out and they end up just doing good Star Trek episodes with jokes. Season 4 has just delivered 5 absolute bangers in a row and I'm expecting 5 more to round out the season.

Moopsy!

Goddamn but that still gets me giggling.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Nessus posted:

I heard one of the novels had them come back and find that they'd sort of become a sketched-out version of TOS Starfleet, complete with a starbase of their own design, and you now have to be very, very careful if you're going down to pay a visit.

Seemed like a cop out. They should be committed to their ancient traditions of being a 1920s gangster.
I do like the idea of an incredibly impressionable species that bases their entire society around whoever spoke to them last.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Splicer posted:

I do like the idea of an incredibly impressionable species that bases their entire society around whoever spoke to them last.

Poul Anderson & Gordon R. Dickson, "The Sound and the Furry (The Complete Hoka Stories)" may be of interest to you.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

DalaranJ posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6RfltyAg7Q
Kinda.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

You know what?

If someone trains an AI on TSR's original modules and Appendix N, the OSR would probably embrace it.

You're just automating the process of remixing a very specific, narrow band of content.

I don't think any company will publicly come out in favor of it, but in a few years we're going to start hearing employees that were brought in to polish up AI modules.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
Is there still an OSR as a singular movement at this point? It seemed like it was fragmenting into a lot of smaller circles as sensibilities drifted. Like when people started tweaking old-school D&D rules in ways that drifted further from the "baseline" and repurposed things from "modern" games as needed.

Gray Ghost
Jan 1, 2003

When crime haunts the night, a silent crusader carries the torch of justice.

Nuns with Guns posted:

Is there still an OSR as a singular movement at this point? It seemed like it was fragmenting into a lot of smaller circles as sensibilities drifted. Like when people started tweaking old-school D&D rules in ways that drifted further from the "baseline" and repurposed things from "modern" games as needed.

Between Mork Borg, Into the Odd, OSE, ShadowDark, and Dolmenwood it’s hard to find the heir apparent.

Remember when everyone was making stuff Lamentations-compatible?

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

If anything modern OSR stuff is significantly more varied than the modern adventure paths. An AI could probably create OSR systems easily enough, but getting anything like the adventures or settings produced would be less likely to work than just giving it a decision path that starts with "find a region of Golarion/Faerun" and have it just auotcomplete the 1-15 adventures from there.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.
The "OSR" has been pretty fractured since the end of G+ and blogs being less of a thing people talk about than published books. The big community spaces left in the leftist slice of the OSR are the purple OSR discord originally started by Chris Mcdowall, the NSR discord, and perhaps also the FKR and Exalted Funeral discords. Beyond that, it's mostly smaller spaces and game-specific discords like the ones for Into the Odd, OSE, etc.

The blog side is still active, it's just less where all the conversation is centered. Notably, Bones of Contention has started up as a consistent OSR book review blog with multiple contributors. The format and content are highly variable since every author does their own thing, but it does get linked to and discussed frequently.

In the non-leftist spaces you have the tenfootpole forums, the Dragonsfoot forums, and Tenkar's Tavern for forums. The stuff happening in these spaces has little to do with the leftist ones, though I think a lot of people still reference reviews on the tenfootpole main site.

Beyond that, it's worth noting that people often find out about OSR stuff from more commercial spaces now. The Questing Beast youtube channel is more or less a series of flip-throughs of popular books and it has a newsletter called The Glatisant which links to new OSR books and blog posts. Exalted Funeral still puts out small scale zines and so a lot of new ideas or trends that would have ended up on forum or blog posts a few years ago might be found there in zine form instead. And finally you have big tentpole Kickstarters like Break, Dolmenwood or Mothership that tend to draw attention from the greater RPG market just because of the sheer numbers they're putting up.

If I had to describe the OSR nowadays, I would say it's less of a movement/community and just a way to describe what some books have in common. Active spaces definitely still exist, but generally the trend seems to be for popular authors to silo themselves off once they find their audience. There's less treatment of "the OSR" as like a community or milieu and that's probably for the best at this point.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
DCC seems to be the biggest going by Gencon numbers. Mork borg sells a lot but is so shallow it doesn’t see much play beyond one shots IME.

I agree in general that OSR is less a codified community and more a design approach (or marketing gimmick if you want to be cynical) these days.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Bottom Liner posted:

DCC seems to be the biggest going by Gencon numbers. Mork borg sells a lot but is so shallow it doesn’t see much play beyond one shots IME.

Goodman also does a very admirable job at promoting third-party DCC materials, from highlighting their Kickstarters to stocking zines and adventures in their online store.

Eastmabl
Jan 29, 2019

Lumbermouth posted:

Goodman also does a very admirable job at promoting third-party DCC materials, from highlighting their Kickstarters to stocking zines and adventures in their online store.

They also promote the stuff in the core book, too.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Kurieg posted:

Picard season 2 had several flashbacks to picard's childhood at chateau picard and his mother.. to.. mixed effect.

Obviously Picard's family gets to keep the vineyard because they're the only ones willing to commit to the bit so hard they die of untreated mental illness

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

moths posted:

You know what?

If someone trains an AI on TSR's original modules and Appendix N, the OSR would probably embrace it.

You're just automating the process of remixing a very specific, narrow band of content.

I don't think any company will publicly come out in favor of it, but in a few years we're going to start hearing employees that were brought in to polish up AI modules.

??? The OSR is all about random table generation so that's not really new, I was referring to using AI art, of which there was the guy making LL2e (the reception was mixed)

I mean, seriously:

https://donjon.bin.sh/d20/dungeon/

https://dungen.app/dungen/

https://watabou.github.io/dungeon.html

https://www.kassoon.com/dnd/dungeon-map/

On top of this, I'd say most, if not all of the best OSR products are the ones that mostly involve you rolling on some tables, like the Gardens of Ynn or Vornheim and those have been pretty influential. The only products I've seen that do the traditional "here's a massive amount of content in a huge 300 page book" are the WFRP 4e ones, and those only really work for me because they'll go "This is goblin town. there's goblins in goblin town" and then they'll have plot hooks directly attached to them like (The Goblins recently were raided by a company of dwarves, a wizard and a half-ling. They are willing to pay big time for information on their wherabouts. However, in their weakened state they might be ripe to be dealt with once and for all and there's a bounty one can claim for killing the Goblin king, since nobody has yet, all you would need to do is find his crown, down down down in goblin town).

Gray Ghost posted:

Between Mork Borg, Into the Odd, OSE, ShadowDark, and Dolmenwood it’s hard to find the heir apparent.

Remember when everyone was making stuff Lamentations-compatible?

It was a handy-dandy system with a "good enough" take on thief skills most people were fine with. Edge art was a fine price to pay, but there's a good reason that OSE basically up and ate Raggi's lunch. Zak's downfall didn't help but I've spoken to a few OSR people at the time who agreed Raggi had already been losing talent and running low on good ideas for awhile

TheDiceMustRoll fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Oct 2, 2023

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Wasn't the big reason for Lamentations success just Raggi paying well?

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Terrible Opinions posted:

Wasn't the big reason for Lamentations success just Raggi paying well?

Iirc the entire game line was dying until A Red and Pleasant Land or Vornheim came out, IDK which. Had quite a few bangers after that like Veins, Scenic Dunnsmouth etc.

Gray Ghost
Jan 1, 2003

When crime haunts the night, a silent crusader carries the torch of justice.

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

Iirc the entire game line was dying until A Red and Pleasant Land or Vornheim came out, IDK which. Had quite a few bangers after that like Veins, Scenic Dunnsmouth etc.

I really believe that books like Veins, Dunsmouth, Into the Cess and Citadel, and Into the Wyrd and Wild are the books that OSR does really well: stuff that helps you write or generate a really expansive adventure/game world.

I just got the PDF for Mothership 1e’s GM book and it tells the reader so much about keying a map, making a faction, building a horror scenario, and even taking session notes—all in 60 pages! I would give a starting GM that before giving them something like the DMG.

Gray Ghost fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Oct 2, 2023

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack

Bottom Liner posted:

I agree in general that OSR is less a codified community and more a design approach (or marketing gimmick if you want to be cynical) these days.

I don't know how it's doing in terms of sales figures, but OSE also seems to be the major player in terms of 3rd party content. If you stumble on an adventure or supplement produced in the last few years there's a decent chance it was made for OSE.

To the original point: I don't feel like a fully AI-generated product would go over particularly well in OSR spaces, largely because one of the underlying philosophies of the scene is a DIY, modular approach to mechanics so getting an AI to create something for you seems to run directly counter to the values of the type of people buying these products. As well, because so many of the tools associated with the scene already rely on random generation, getting a randomly generated system or adventure just feels kind of redundant?

I can see something using AI art being positively received. I'm pretty strongly opposed to generative AI art as a concept, but I don't see it having the same kind of negative reception on the OSR market.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
hey, there's always rutibex

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

"It's a non-speaking role"

Nessus posted:

Wait, these aren't the aliens who are 1920s gangsters that Kirk taught that made up game? Or are you combining in your mind the Betans (Landu guys) and Lotians (20s gangsters)?
(yes, star trek alien names are dumb sometimes)

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Foolster41 posted:

Wait, these aren't the aliens who are 1920s gangsters that Kirk taught that made up game? Or are you combining in your mind the Betans (Landu guys) and Lotians (20s gangsters)?

Some tie-in materials have taken the Iotians in that direction, yes.

https://memory-beta.fandom.com/wiki/Iotian#The_Transtator_Revolution

Lambo Trillrissian
May 18, 2007
Picked up Vaults of Vaarn after reading about it around here and it's very cool, when I look at a bunch of random OSR tables I want curated weirdness with an impish authorial voice, not extruded AI slop. I have no doubt you could trivially train an AI to make themed random tables but it's the little interesting flourishes that make them actually fun, not the sheer existence of unending tables to slog through. Adding AI into the mix doesn't really add anything that a basic random number generator can't already do.

OtspIII
Sep 22, 2002

Yeah, I actually almost never use tables at the table. I treat them more as a sort of implicit "here's the type of ideas or rulings that might be interesting in this situation" than as actual Content (wandering monster and loot tables not withstanding). AI-generated tables would be worthless for that.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Lambo Trillrissian posted:

Picked up Vaults of Vaarn after reading about it around here and it's very cool, when I look at a bunch of random OSR tables I want curated weirdness with an impish authorial voice, not extruded AI slop. I have no doubt you could trivially train an AI to make themed random tables but it's the little interesting flourishes that make them actually fun, not the sheer existence of unending tables to slog through. Adding AI into the mix doesn't really add anything that a basic random number generator can't already do.
It's funny, because major inspiration Caves of Qud makes extensive use of procedural generation for the history of the world, and some items. The non-handwritten books are delightfully pure markov chain garbage, but worth xp if you take them to the right place, and they can have directions to a very optional and unnecessary secret if you skim through them looking out for certain key phrases. The devs have given talks on how they use it all.

Of course it helps that the writing in the game is beautiful and weird and has a definite style to it.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Kestral posted:

Or, you could do what every Star Trek writer from DS9 onward has utterly refused to do because they're all cynicism-poisoned, and embrace the concept of a post-scarcity utopia in a way that uses the collaborative nature of an RPG group to come up with an interpretation that makes sense for everyone at the table.

God I am so tired of cynicism and irony.

Add me to the list of people that don't think Lower Decks is cynicism-poisoned at all (it is my favourite newTrek by far because of that).

Warthur fucked around with this message at 11:12 on Oct 3, 2023

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
I do wonder how viable enemy generation in D&D is by AI not unlike RoboRosewater

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Warthur posted:

Add me to the list of people that don't think Lower Decks is cynicism-poisoned at all (it is my favourite newTrek by far because of that).

Yeah, like I mentioned early if you watch the first two episodes I get how you could think that and the only joke is 'Star Trek is dumb' but it moves beyond that to be leagues better than anything else recently Star Trek-related.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

Dawgstar posted:

Yeah, like I mentioned early if you watch the first two episodes I get how you could think that and the only joke is 'Star Trek is dumb' but it moves beyond that to be leagues better than anything else recently Star Trek-related.

Lower Decks is "Star Trek is dumb" made by Star Trek superfans.

Your favorite IP is dumb, too.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

CitizenKeen posted:

Lower Decks is "Star Trek is dumb" made by Star Trek superfans.

Your favorite IP is dumb, too.

No, actually, Lower Decks is about how Star Trek can be silly but is also really cool and good.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Foolster41 posted:

I think they’re Iotians but that sure looks like Lotian doesn’t it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

Dawgstar posted:

No, actually, Lower Decks is about how Star Trek can be silly but is also really cool and good.

I don't think you and I are saying different things.