Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
Judging by the like 15 gigs of PDFs I have, I must be literate as gently caress.

One day I’m gonna POD all these things only to have the bookshelf they’re on collapse atop me, burying me alive in the nerd games I’ll never play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Did you ever wonder why AI keeps leaning towards fascism? :v:

https://twitter.com/WargamerCom/status/1706671759229866434?t=L9d9v_kwwfeH64ov0w1M-w&s=19

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Well Played Mauer posted:

Judging by the like 15 gigs of PDFs I have, I must be literate as gently caress.

Haahaahaa. Same. :negative:

Anyway I've been looking for music to write to and I've some what I would call tg related music videos that others might enjoy as well. Got any recommendations? A good song with a tg related music video?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SpSMoBp8awM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Pv1X0CRIOo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eAvWVO29zs0

I'm on a mecha/cyberpunk kick.

Not a music video but I have to include this because dwarves: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pISzxdEgDCU

Edit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SuEvAR7xVA8

Helical Nightmares fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Sep 29, 2023

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

Xelkelvos posted:

Ettin's showing off some Wetrunner stuff but something seems odd about it

I knew I should have led with the Antarctic brain fungus :negative:

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

15 gigs? lol

I know ALL the swear words, real and imaginary.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

One day I’m gonna POD all these things only to have the bookshelf they’re on collapse atop me, burying me alive in the nerd games I’ll never play.

Amateur...

However, I have been scanning my collection (and anybody else's I could borrow) since I first got an Apple Scanner back in 1989.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Look, it's not a proper collection until you load it into Calibre and tag everything.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Rand Brittain posted:

Look, it's not a proper collection until you load it into Calibre and tag everything.

You don't see the Calibre library folder in that screenshot? I just don't copy the files over into that folder.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

You don't see the Calibre library folder in that screenshot? I just don't copy the files over into that folder.

...wait, you can do that? I thought Calibre insisted on moving everything into its folder structure.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

*makes a jerkoff motion with hands*

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

It is hard to think of any warhammer book as sympathetic to fascism as your average AI programmer.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Helical Nightmares posted:

Glad more people are aware of Luka's stuff and the Vaults of Vaarn! Luka is the illustrator as well as the game designer of the Ultraviolet Grasslands.

I just got my physical copy of There, A Red Door yesterday. I love his style, both prose and illustration. This is allegedly a location and items sourcebook with maps, but it's just an excuse to do art. A good excuse.

https://www.exaltedfuneral.com/products/there-a-red-door

There's a free preview of UVG available, 78 pages worth of psychedelia,

https://preview.drivethrurpg.com/en/product/241606/the-ultraviolet-grasslands-free-introduction

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Vermis 2 is up for pre-order.

https://hollow-press.net/products/vermis-ii-mist-mirrors

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Rand Brittain posted:

...wait, you can do that? I thought Calibre insisted on moving everything into its folder structure.

I use sym links=

e; Longer answer I had to use symlinks because the way calibre handles metadata makes it a pretty special princess, and the devs want to think that using other folder structures is the antichrist. It took a while to figure out how to do it, and it still breaks a lot.

tldr; it's a pain in the rear end to set up.

Humbug Scoolbus fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Sep 29, 2023

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Terrible Opinions posted:

It is hard to think of any warhammer book as sympathetic to fascism as your average AI programmer.

I've read two or three (mostly as research for a game set in 40k for a group of friends who are really into it). Based on that very limited sample size they're mostly about people who have totally internalized the Imperium's Catholic guilt and self-negation and are miserable because of it. Like just really self-serious tragedies or near-misses, where people set themselves up for failure and death and then either fail and die, or manage to distance themselves from the indoctrination just enough to stabilize. I'm most reminded of Catch-22, except nowhere near as funny or as well-written on a technical level.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

After spending all month playing Yakuza Kiwami I'm convinced that the fighting styles and heat actions need to be ported to tabletop. Has anyone done this already?

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Spellbound Kingdoms doesn't capture it perfectly, but you can get up to some Yakuza-feeling shenanigans in its combat system. It involves combat styles mapped out on a table, where you can go from move to move along fairly open but still limited paths (so you can't jump from like a basic punch to a combo finisher in one go), and you can swap styles on the fly as long as you know them. It also has rules for getting a shot in at the enemy's Mood (which is an extra health bar) at the start of a fight by whipping your clothes off to dramatically reveal a cool tattoo, or other flashy actions.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

disposablewords posted:

Spellbound Kingdoms doesn't capture it perfectly, but you can get up to some Yakuza-feeling shenanigans in its combat system. It involves combat styles mapped out on a table, where you can go from move to move along fairly open but still limited paths (so you can't jump from like a basic punch to a combo finisher in one go), and you can swap styles on the fly as long as you know them. It also has rules for getting a shot in at the enemy's Mood (which is an extra health bar) at the start of a fight by whipping your clothes off to dramatically reveal a cool tattoo, or other flashy actions.

God Spellbound Kingdoms rules

Shame about the Kickstarted expansion being vaporware

Tosk
Feb 22, 2013

I am sorry. I have no vices for you to exploit.

I'm waiting on my players to give me concepts for a Mythras Classic Fantasy game I'm going to be starting soon. Mythras used to be Runequest 6 and was rebranded as such after some licensing things with Chaosium happened and they stripped put all the Glorantha. It's a d100 game in the BRP family and it ticks a lot of boxes for me - Vancian magic and D&D's class and level system always felt super restricting conceptually to me.

It surprises me that I see so little discussion of this game because it nails the "gritty low fantasy" vibe so well. It has some magic systems that are kind of crunchy but they're also totally modular if you want or don't want to include them in your campaign.

The Mythras line itself has some cool supplements detailing mythical versions of historical civilization - Mythic Britain and Mythic Constantinople that I'm aware of and I think there's at least one more, but Classic Fantasy is a halfway point with AD&D that I'll be playing for the first time and it looks really good.

I just felt like giving the game a shoutout because I really like it and they released this free starter book for Classic Fantasy recently. Anyone who has been wondering how to shoehorn their historical low fantasy game into D&D might be interested in it or especially core Mythras.

The Malthusian
Oct 30, 2012

Asterite34 posted:

God Spellbound Kingdoms rules

Shame about the Kickstarted expansion being vaporware

I've been thinking about getting the base game of Spellbound Kingdoms for a while but have never actually gone through with the purchase. Is there enough content in the existing book without the vanished xp?

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

The Malthusian posted:

I've been thinking about getting the base game of Spellbound Kingdoms for a while but have never actually gone through with the purchase. Is there enough content in the existing book without the vanished xp?

100%. It's a real treasure trove that doesn't feel a quarter as dense as it should. For instance, it chucks a goddamn integrated wargame into there over the span of, like, 12 pages and it just sort of... fits in and feels like a natural extension to all the high concept swashbuckling..

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Absolutely. The expansion would've been some neat and nice extra material, but it's also just that - extra. The book is pretty drat solid on its own and tends to spark new ideas every time I so much as glance through it.

HOMOEROTIC JESUS
Apr 19, 2018

Verily I say unto thee, That this night, before the cock crow, thou shalt deny me thrice.

Terrible Opinions posted:

Eh, the AI programmers (in academia) I know are much more leftwing than the general populace

Parkreiner
Oct 29, 2011
Yeah, Spellbound Kingdoms deserves to be much better known than it is, it comes from a similar place as the infamous bonkers games of yore like Realms of Synnibarr, except that it isn’t a pain in the rear end to actually play.

The Malthusian
Oct 30, 2012

disposablewords posted:

Absolutely. The expansion would've been some neat and nice extra material, but it's also just that - extra. The book is pretty drat solid on its own and tends to spark new ideas every time I so much as glance through it.

Exactly what I was hoping to hear! Thanks!

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

HOMOEROTIC JESUS posted:

Eh, the AI programmers (in academia) I know are much more leftwing than the general populace
(in academia)

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
yes, in academia, i.e. the powerless ones without venture capital

Lambo Trillrissian
May 18, 2007
Is Spellbound Kingdoms still full of really sad poser "illustrations," because I found the mechanics delightful but the presentation is so infuriatingly offputting

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

No Poser stuff now. The art is currently a mix of a bunch of classical work across the past 500-ish years and current professionals. It's overall a pretty good selection.

Lambo Trillrissian
May 18, 2007

disposablewords posted:

No Poser stuff now. The art is currently a mix of a bunch of classical work across the past 500-ish years and current professionals. It's overall a pretty good selection.

That's so much better, good to know! Thanks!

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
Does anyone make a d20x5? That is, a 20-sided die reading 5, 10, 15, up to 100. Preferably in a fairly normal size and colour scheme.

I'm looking at yet another set of (wargame) rules that uses percentile rolls and has everything scaled to 5% increments, and wondering if people really like having to roll two physical dice for dozens of individual attacks or actions every turn.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

90s Cringe Rock posted:

Does anyone make a d20x5? That is, a 20-sided die reading 5, 10, 15, up to 100. Preferably in a fairly normal size and colour scheme.

I'm looking at yet another set of (wargame) rules that uses percentile rolls and has everything scaled to 5% increments, and wondering if people really like having to roll two physical dice for dozens of individual attacks or actions every turn.

A lot of people really enjoy rolling dice; the more dice, the better.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
the spellbound kingdoms expansion will come out one day! I feel it in my bones. it's not gonna do me like will hindmarch

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Yeah but rolling a handful of (beautiful, platonic) icosahedrons is better than rolling twice as many horrible irregular decahedrons and making sure they're distinguishable as pairs.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

I've played Exalted, can confirm.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

Wouldn't you just use regular d20s and multiply the results by 5?

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Funzo posted:

Wouldn't you just use regular d20s and multiply the results by 5?

yes. or you could get dice as the op requests and eliminate the part where you do mental math every roll

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

to be clear, i can do the mental math easily in my head. in fact i'm doing the mental math right now. but lesser mortals may not want to

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

maybe each thing that has a percentile chance associated could give you the number you need to roll at minimum

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
I just think it would be nice to have dice that do the conversion so I don't have to annotate tables or do minimal mental arithmetic.