Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Remember that marketplace seller that was selling ex-mining cards from China until the Chinese government arrested them. I bet they were moving a lot of inventory and Newegg wants to fill that void

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

repiv posted:

yeah cyberpunk still rasterizes the gbuffer, but then everything after that is done with raytracing. raster is good enough for primary visibility and it's more economical for now.

Cyberpunk also has some non-rt fallbacks still, like ssr for distant reflections.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

usually it's the other way around, they do an SSR trace first and then if that fails they fall back to "proper" raytracing

that lowers the amount of real rays required and means that details left out of the BVH are still represented as long as they're on-screen

Question Time
Sep 12, 2010

I've got an RTX 3070 that releases the magic blue smoke when I try to plug it into a PC. Is there anything I can do with it, or is it time to chuck it in the garbage?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Question Time posted:

I've got an RTX 3070 that releases the magic blue smoke when I try to plug it into a PC. Is there anything I can do with it, or is it time to chuck it in the garbage?

Why not RMA it? It’s still a decent card?

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Question Time posted:

Try to RMA, if you bought it new there’s likely a 3-year warranty still in place (and contact the seller for the same reason if it’s secondhand)

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1bj19C4ohA

Double the frames, double the blur, which means 4x the images in your eyes!

Definitely no one saw AMD's huge surprise because it's so loving blurry

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

https://twitter.com/VideoCardz/status/1708414433452544223?s=20

lol what on earth.
what's considered top of the line in PC cases these days for 4090 level GPUs

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

shrike82 posted:

https://twitter.com/VideoCardz/status/1708414433452544223?s=20

lol what on earth.
what's considered top of the line in PC cases these days for 4090 level GPUs

The Fractal Torrent.

That case I think was originally made by Cooler Master as a showpiece case, GamersNexus saw it earlier this year. They had a shark case too.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

njsykora posted:

The Fractal Torrent.

I prefer the North!

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

The North is stylish, but in terms of pure airflow, the Torrent is unbeatable. Two massive front fans push a wall of air through the case front to back while three more 140mm fans blow fresh air from below directly into the GPU (the PSU is top-mounted)

I also really like the look of the front grill :shobon:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

yeah, I had a Torrent before, my wife has it now (with her agèd hand-me-down 3090!)

I had to take one of the front fans out of the Torrent to fit the 4090, I think?

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

njsykora posted:

They had a shark case too.

That is rad, if you disagree you're dead inside.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Subjunctive posted:

yeah, I had a Torrent before, my wife has it now (with her agèd hand-me-down 3090!)

I had to take one of the front fans out of the Torrent to fit the 4090, I think?

Max GPU length allowed with the front fans installed is 423mm, which is longer than any GPU on the market today. The Compact version of the case may have some compatibility issues with the bigger 4090s though.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Max GPU length allowed with the front fans installed is 423mm, which is longer than any GPU on the market today. The Compact version of the case may have some compatibility issues with the bigger 4090s though.

Oh yeah, I had the Compact! man, getting old sucks, my brain is mush

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

i swing between full towers and sff cases every couple years.
there's something neat about having a high-end gaming PC the size of a shoebox

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

shrike82 posted:

i swing between full towers and sff cases every couple years.
there's something neat about having a high-end gaming PC the size of a shoebox

yeah, that’s where I’m headed next, a water-cooled 5090 and 8800X3D in some cool tiny Sliger case or something

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

SFF rocks, but know that the smaller you get, the more annoying and expensive the build is going to be. I really like the middle ground cases that are small but not ULTRA small (like the sub 10L ones), stuff like the Meshlicious/Meshroom, NR 200, Raw S1, etc. Youre still gonna get extremely annoyed at least once, but you can do a straight forward build with something like the Meshroom and not have to buy a single custom cable or bracket.

Also there is an SFF thread once you truly go to the Dork Side:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3776587

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

Subjunctive posted:

I prefer the North!

Long graphics cards in the North will block the hard drive trays.

I know a lot of people only use internal SSDs and external HDDs these days but I would like the option for more internal storage and the North is a little too small.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Lol the 7900 XTX is down to $890 today at Amazon, less than the 7900 XT's launch price: https://www.amazon.com/PowerColor-Hellhound-Radeon-7900-Graphics/dp/B0BMWSRM7W/

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

An 11% discount almost a year after it came out. I sleep

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
I had bought the PowerColor Red Devil 7900XTX a few months ago because it had also dropped to $900 during the big sales. I think it's a pretty good card when compared to an AIO overclocked RTX 4080. It was about a $300-400 difference, not including the $100 Starfield pack-in. That was too high of an NVIDIA tax for me.

EDIT: Actually, the Red Devil is also on sale for the same price right now, so if anybody here actually gets interested after viewing that Amazon listing, go for the Red Devil instead.

Nalin fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Oct 3, 2023

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

GPU folks: this is one of the few videos that I’ve been able to find that benchmarks a 4xxx series card at 1440p directly comparing raytracing fps with EITHER “dlss quality” OR frame generation on, independently.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zOK7mmpuBbQ
(It also compares a bunch of other settings). Not a bad vid although it also looks like he’s running win10 pro which I wonder if that’s hurting his for a bit on a 13th gen cpu. But anyway.

Are there other videos directly comparing those two settings? Almost everything I find testing frame gen always has dlss supersampling enabled.

Is there a similar comparison somewhere of image quality effects of the two modes, independent of each other?

I’m pondering being able to play a game with frame gen but no supersampling, seems like it has the potential to be similar fps to just dlss quality but… better image quality maybe.

fuckpot
May 20, 2007

Lurking beneath the water
The future Immortal awaits

Team Anasta

pmchem posted:

GPU folks: this is one of the few videos that I’ve been able to find that benchmarks a 4xxx series card at 1440p directly comparing raytracing fps with EITHER “dlss quality” OR frame generation on, independently.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zOK7mmpuBbQ
(It also compares a bunch of other settings). Not a bad vid although it also looks like he’s running win10 pro which I wonder if that’s hurting his for a bit on a 13th gen cpu. But anyway.

Are there other videos directly comparing those two settings? Almost everything I find testing frame gen always has dlss supersampling enabled.

Is there a similar comparison somewhere of image quality effects of the two modes, independent of each other?

I’m pondering being able to play a game with frame gen but no supersampling, seems like it has the potential to be similar fps to just dlss quality but… better image quality maybe.
This is pretty much how I play my games at 1440p ultrawide with a 4090, except whenever available I use DLSSTweaks to force DLAA on. In fact most of the times I can run in 2.25x DSR mode as well, which is 5126x2160 (or something very close, five thousand and something anyway). 80% of games run fine in that mode.

The only game I've had to use quality mode on is Cyberpunk, and that's with pathtracing and everything maxed.

fuckpot fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Oct 4, 2023

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

BG3 has good art direction and nice-looking character faces, but overall it's not a crazily high-fidelity game—most older midrange gpus can run it just fine.

Alan Wake 2 is looking like a pretty drat good visual showcase, and Talos Principle 2 could be the first genuinely good UE5 game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2NgMGOuoAiA

Okay, the Talos Principle 2 demo is available, and this game is pretty nice looking.

This is a UE5 game using Lumen and Nanite, and most of the time, it looks like this. But it also makes me question how ready Lumen really is for prime time, because there are still quite a few highly apparent issues with it. Parts of the levels can glow when they aren't supposed to depending on the angle you look at them from. Dark rooms can have quite a lot of noise in the shading, which is something that apparently gets worse the lower the resolution you use. The glow from some lights can fade in and out depending on the distance and angle you look at them from. Previously occluded parts of a level can also have a noticeable glow for a split second when they first become disoccluded. And with this game, it's either software Lumen with these issues, or a very basic and ugly static GI solution.

Maybe hardware Lumen could have resolved some of these issues (especially if they integrated Ray Reconstruction?), but that's absent from this game for some reason. Still, when it looks good, which it does a lot of the time, it looks stunning. I think with the new lighting solutions that are becoming popular, like Lumen or Nvidia's path tracing stack, we are going to have to get used to and train ourselves to overlook all the temporal instability in them. That, or we'll just have to say 'gently caress it' and go back to pure rasterization, but that's becoming increasingly more difficult to do the more we see what these new lighting solutions can do at their best.

For those who want to check the demo out, it's not on the steam store but you can download it with steam://install/2312690. As for the game itself, it seems incredible. Fantastic art direction and world design, wonderful music, clever puzzles, and it builds off of the previous game in a way that makes me really interested to see where this one is going to go. If they execute on the rest of the game well, it could be an easy GOTY contender for me. I literally got chills walking around the demo areas. After nine long years, The Talos Principle is back, baby

edit: This also runs reasonably well. I'm testing with a 4090, so obviously it won't be most people's experience, but I'm usually sitting around 100 - 120 fps at 4K max settings with DLSS Quality enabled, which I think is an acceptable level of performance for the visuals.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Oct 4, 2023

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib

you don't say?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

This is a UE5 game using Lumen and Nanite, and most of the time, it looks like this. But it also makes me question how ready Lumen really is for prime time, because there are still quite a few highly apparent issues with it. Parts of the levels can glow when they aren't supposed to depending on the angle you look at them from. Dark rooms can have quite a lot of noise in the shading, which is something that apparently gets worse the lower the resolution you use. The glow from some lights can fade in and out depending on the distance and angle you look at them from. Previously occluded parts of a level can also have a noticeable glow for a split second when they first become disoccluded. And with this game, it's either software Lumen with these issues, or a very basic and ugly static GI solution.

software lumen can be finnicky like that, the distance fields it traces against have limited resolution so details can get lost. thin walls in particular are problematic to represent in distance fields, and if they get lost then lumen will only pick them up in its screen-space trace and you'll get view-dependent jank like you described when they fall out of screenspace and also get missed by the distance field trace.

hardware lumen is more robust in that regard

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

repiv posted:

software lumen can be finnicky like that, the distance fields it traces against have limited resolution so details can get lost. thin walls in particular are problematic to represent in distance fields, and if they get lost then lumen will only pick them up in its screen-space trace and you'll get view-dependent jank like you described when they fall out of screenspace and also get missed by the distance field trace.

hardware lumen is more robust in that regard

So is the demo software lumen only?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

i haven't downloaded it yet but dr.vg said it's software only

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

repiv posted:

i haven't downloaded it yet but dr.vg said it's software only

Is hardware Lumen something that takes a lot of effort to develop for, or can they just flip a switch?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

on paper i don't think it takes much to get it running, but performance scales differently to software lumen so tuning it is extra work

maybe that's why croteam left it out (for now?)

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

The low and medium global illumination settings in the demo use some kind of basic static GI solution, while high and ultra use software Lumen, which was confirmed by someone with a GTX 1070 on a discord I'm in getting 50fps with ultra GI enabled (no way that would happen with HW Lumen).

Worlds designed with lots of kit-bashing and large intersecting meshes can apparently perform really badly with HW Lumen and epic-quality SW Lumen, so maybe that's what's happening and Croteam decided they didn't have the time or resources to optimize for these options and declined to offer them entirely.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Looks good but the HDR is broken for me, so had to use SDR. I’m curious how different it would look with hardware lumen

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

As far as I'm aware, there aren't really any big sweeping differences in quality between HW and SW Lumen. HW Lumen has more accurate lighting and won't exhibit as many issues with noise patterns or screen-space artifacts, but it won't dramatically change the look of a scene.

I wonder if it's possible to mod it in with an ini tweak or something.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

As far as I'm aware, there aren't really any big sweeping differences in quality between HW and SW Lumen. HW Lumen has more accurate lighting and won't exhibit as many issues with noise patterns or screen-space artifacts, but it won't dramatically change the look of a scene.

Artifacts are really distracting to me so I would really prefer HW Lumen.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

I wonder if it's possible to mod it in with an ini tweak or something.

there's a project-level setting for whether or not to support hardware raytracing, if that's disabled then it probably doesn't bother to include the HWRT-specific files in the build

nanite meshes can't be traced directly by either form of lumen, so the build process generates proxy representations, and those proxies are different for software lumen (distance field) or hardware lumen (simplified mesh)

repiv fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Oct 4, 2023

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019
I need a bit of help. I built a friend a pc. He moved this past week and hes havin trouble with the gpu. I assumed is was jostled in the drive across the country. The leds occassionally flicker and correspond with the core spiking to max while the power drops to 1 watt while idle for a second or two and then goes back to normal. Ive had him reseat the gpu and update the drivers. I also had him check all power connections. I dont know what would be causing this.

MB. MSI Pro 650p wifi
Cpu. Amd 7700x
Gpu is a radeon 6950xt
32gb ram
Psu. Corsair rm850x

Any wisdom would be greatly apprectiated.

E: no lights on the motherboard indicating trouble.

ZombieCrew fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Oct 5, 2023

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Can he try the GPU in another machine or another GPU in his? I’ve had a motherboard slot be damaged in long transport because of heavy GPU rattling against it, and my friend had the motherboard survive intact on his but got a hairline fracture in the GPU where it meets the slot. Swapping parts around would help narrow it down.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

The 6950 XT had some huge models available, so if the computer was transported around with no protection/bracing for the GPU, then there's a chance that either the motherboard slot or the GPU PCB is damaged. Hairline fractures on the graphics card isn't uncommon and could potentially result in erratic behavior.

The only other thing I could think of is maybe the cooler got loose somehow during transport, and remounting it could resolve any weird hotspot temperature spikes or whatever. (if this is what you mean by the core spiking to max)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019
Thanks for the suggestions. Ill see what he has available to him.

What I meant by the core goin to max is it spikes in utilization. The temps are fine. If any of that maxs a difference.