Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Shaocaholica posted:

I always thought that bluetooth delay was mostly due to the receiver and not the sender. At least I know that's true with my car (12yrs worth of different iPhones and all the same delay). Well I just bought a Creative Stage SE BT speaker for a desktop setup and connected it to my 2015 MBP to test and the delay was awful. Completely unusable for movies or anything that requires picture and sound sync. I just thought it was the speakers fault. A direct USB audio connection was perfectly in sync. I just hooked it up to my trashcan which is even older than the 2015 MBP and the BT sync is spot on with no perceptible delay. So it was the MBP that was the cause of the delay? Seems odd.

Senders can have delay if the encoder is slow.

Receivers can have delay if the DAC is slow.

There can also be a delay depending on the Bluetooth codec that is used. iirc, the default Bluetooth codec on most Apple devices is not low-latency and will have a delay, no matter what.

e: yeah, iOS devices and some MacOS devices only support SBC and AAC, neither of which is low-latency

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Ok picked up the next trashcan. Attempting to App Store update from 10.11.6 to 12.6. On the last trashcan doing a clean install of 12.6 didn't work. I had to install Catalina as an intermediate step to get a new bootrom or something. Lets see if this works through the App Store upgrade. Even if it works I'll still clean install something anyway.

Shaocaholica fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Sep 30, 2023

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Shaocaholica posted:

Ok picked up the next trashcan. Attempting to App Store update from 10.11.6 to 12.6. On the last trashcan doing a clean install of 12.6 didn't work. I had to install Catalina as an intermediate step to get a new bootrom or something. Lets see if this works through the App Store upgrade. Even if it works I'll still clean install something anyway.

boot camp one of them and run the twin GPUs in crossfire

hook the other one up to an eGPU

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
There's AMD crossfire drivers for the D700?

Anyway upgrade to 12.7 worked. Converted the HFS partition to APFS. Maybe I'll put Sonoma on it.

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

Warbird posted:

I’m debating tossing Linux on the MBP 2013 I don’t use anymore now that it’s no longer supported. Is there a central place/project for this sort of thing or do I just need to go google around and find what folks have gotten to work?

Have you looked at Open Core Legacy Patcher? Not Linux, but it does get you onto more supported versions of Mac OS.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
apparently the trashcan gets somewhat respectable performance when you run the GPUs in crossfireX in windows

https://youtu.be/v_1qWNthfe4?si=x7Wx4dKNaJq9MmC-

(Spoiler:egpu in Linux is a PITA, he ends up doing windows and running the onboard GPUs in crossfire)

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
also you’re gonna get me to buy one of these you gently caress :argh:

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Ok Comboomer posted:

apparently the trashcan gets somewhat respectable performance when you run the GPUs in crossfireX in windows

https://youtu.be/v_1qWNthfe4?si=x7Wx4dKNaJq9MmC-

(Spoiler:egpu in Linux is a PITA, he ends up doing windows and running the onboard GPUs in crossfire)

Lol this poors only has D300s.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Papa Was A Video Toaster posted:

Have you looked at Open Core Legacy Patcher? Not Linux, but it does get you onto more supported versions of Mac OS.

It’s valid path but the 2014 has like 2 gigs of ram or something similarly minuscule so eh. I already don’t use it at all since upgrading so may as well get stupid with it.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Warbird posted:

I’m debating tossing Linux on the MBP 2013 I don’t use anymore now that it’s no longer supported. Is there a central place/project for this sort of thing or do I just need to go google around and find what folks have gotten to work?

If you want to go Linux then Linux Mint Cinnamon is a good choice, especially if you have only 8 GB / 4 GB of RAM on the 2013 rMBP.

It's as simple as downloading balenaEtcher, the Linux Mint ISO, and using bE to image a 16 GB USB stick

Then boot with the stick inserted, hold down option to get the boot picker and select the stick, then boot into grub and install away.

LMC runs fairly smoothly; you do have to keep the stick in after you boot so you can install the Broadcom WiFi driver but after it's installed you should have no problems downloading other updates.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
So apparently Cinebench 2024 has GPU raytracing benchmark and probably optimized for Nvidia RT cores because 4060Ti scores are like double that of the M2 Ultra.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Shaocaholica posted:

So apparently Cinebench 2024 has GPU raytracing benchmark and probably optimized for Nvidia RT cores because 4060Ti scores are like double that of the M2 Ultra.

yeah, it’s definitely impossible that Apple would overstate and misrepresent the performance of their hardware

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Incredibly hosed up fhat Cinebench would create their test with the architecture that 99.7% of gamers use in mind.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

American McGay posted:

Incredibly hosed up fhat Cinebench would create their test with the architecture that 99.7% of gamers use in mind.

Cinebench seems fairly agnostic tho. Their GPU raytracer is based on Redshift which is a thing their parent company owns. It's not a 'gamer' product. Perhaps this is just the difference to expect when you don't have dedicated raytracing hardware.

FormatAmerica
Jun 3, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Shaocaholica posted:

Yeah a 60W tdp processor of which the gpu is using some fraction of that isn’t gonna put the same numbers up as a ~160W dedicated gpu.

It’s still likely very impressive in terms of performance/watt tho

FormatAmerica fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Sep 30, 2023

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

FormatAmerica posted:

Yeah a 60W tdp processor of which the gpu is using some fraction of that isn’t gonna put the same numbers up as a ~160W dedicated gpu.

It’s still likely very inpressive in terms of performance/watt tho

This. Apple has been very clear that they're not the most powerful, but the best performing at lower wattages.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Mister Facetious posted:

This. Apple has been very clear that they're not the most powerful, but the best performing at lower wattages.

we stan a low power king

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

FormatAmerica posted:

It’s still likely very inpressive in terms of performance/watt tho

The M2 Ultra may not be great at ray tracing, but for things that need pure memory bandwidth it outperforms 200W+ parts. I think it's worth comparing to.

It's just a gigantic piece of silicon that's like 80% GPU by area, with 800GB/s memory bandwidth to match. That's more than a 4080. The cheapest computer it's available in starts at $4k, and the other specs are pretty low so that cost has gotta be mostly the CPU/GPU.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

I think it’ll be much more interesting to see how M3 compares once we hopefully get dedicated ray tracing hardware.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Binary Badger posted:

If you want to go Linux then Linux Mint Cinnamon is a good choice, especially if you have only 8 GB / 4 GB of RAM on the 2013 rMBP.

It's as simple as downloading balenaEtcher, the Linux Mint ISO, and using bE to image a 16 GB USB stick

Then boot with the stick inserted, hold down option to get the boot picker and select the stick, then boot into grub and install away.

LMC runs fairly smoothly; you do have to keep the stick in after you boot so you can install the Broadcom WiFi driver but after it's installed you should have no problems downloading other updates.

Good to know, thanks. I wasn't sure if there was some Apple nonsense that would prevent from just flashing away or doing a live CD install or the like.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Do yourself a favor and update the 2013 to the last Big Sur update, 11.7.10, it will update the BootROM to the latest version it will ever get, it will help if you decide to toss the OEM Apple SSUBX SSD in favor of a modern nVMe drive with the proper adapter.

Newer BootROMs do include tweaks to make using a modern SSD better.

The only other thing to watch out for is that very few Linux flavors have support for any macOS features like battery / power management; if your battery is already on its way out running Linux might shove it towards the grave faster.

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.
I know there’s a permanent credo of “you should have waited” for new Mac releases, but on balance, how much would I be likely to kick myself for getting a base model M2 Studio versus waiting for the inevitable M3 refresh?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
I have a choice between a D700 2013 Trashcan with an 8-core for $400 or a 12-core for $100 more.

This is mainly for fun but I’d like to ideally daily it until the M3 Studios/MacBook Pros are out, and I’m not averse to bootcamping it into Windows 10 to get max GPU power and maybe stream some games for shits and giggles/youtube dreams

8-core is 3.0ghz has better single core performance and 12-core is 2.7ghz and has better multi, obvi. What do?

Looks like I can get drop-in CPUs in either direction for ~$30 if I decide to change my mind, but it’s an hour of fiddly work to do the swap.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Hasturtium posted:

I know there’s a permanent credo of “you should have waited” for new Mac releases, but on balance, how much would I be likely to kick myself for getting a base model M2 Studio versus waiting for the inevitable M3 refresh?

do you want ray tracing? do you like the idea of ray tracing?

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

Ok Comboomer posted:

do you want ray tracing? do you like the idea of ray tracing?

I have ray tracing on my PC already so that’s a non-factor. Outside of a small number of productivity applications it mostly makes games prettier and slower, so I don’t care. Mostly wondering if M3 will have more big cores than M2, but I don’t even know if I care that much.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Hasturtium posted:

Mostly wondering if M3 will have more big cores than M2, but I don’t even know if I care that much.

Rumor mill thinks it will, but I wouldn't depend on rumors.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

mediaphage posted:

would be hilarious to see them bring back the xserve with apple silicon under the guise of saving on cooling or something

I had an xserve back at the design studio. That was a really nice 1U server, great design throughout, totally superior to the 1U Dells we also had. Unfortunately, nobody sane will pay an Apple premium for a 1U server so the line got discontinued.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
The m3 will have av1 decode because the new iPhone does. It might have encode too, and maybe thunderbolt 5 since that was announced.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

mllaneza posted:

I had an xserve back at the design studio. That was a really nice 1U server, great design throughout, totally superior to the 1U Dells we also had. Unfortunately, nobody sane will pay an Apple premium for a 1U server so the line got discontinued.

yeah i totally agree, and with the rise of arm servers it's probably not as competitive as it might be. but it would be funny.

Ok Comboomer posted:

I have a choice between a D700 2013 Trashcan with an 8-core for $400 or a 12-core for $100 more.

This is mainly for fun but I’d like to ideally daily it until the M3 Studios/MacBook Pros are out, and I’m not averse to bootcamping it into Windows 10 to get max GPU power and maybe stream some games for shits and giggles/youtube dreams

8-core is 3.0ghz has better single core performance and 12-core is 2.7ghz and has better multi, obvi. What do?

Looks like I can get drop-in CPUs in either direction for ~$30 if I decide to change my mind, but it’s an hour of fiddly work to do the swap.

i mean if you don't mind the work while you watch tv (and you would find it "fun" to do versus using that hour to make more than the $70 you'd save) it seems reasonable to just pick up the 8-core if you really want one of the two. if you want the performance to run some extra VMs or something though and you really don't want to waste your time with an upgrade then you should just shell out the bucks

god this blows
Mar 13, 2003

Perplx posted:

The m3 will have av1 decode because the new iPhone does. It might have encode too, and maybe thunderbolt 5 since that was announced.

We’re in this weird space where everyone is saying the M3 will be the true second generation Apple Silicon but I’m not entirely sure it’s going to happen. My PC has been somewhat of a money pit recently with video card and power supply issues and I’m looking at a Mac replacement but trying to hold out for the M3 to see if I can go with a Mac Mini over a Studio.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
I’m pressing my trashcan guy for one more. He might have it. Same spec.

The CPUs are dirt cheap if you want to upgrade to whatever. Same for ram. SSD cheap too with adapter. I have a 4TB on the way.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Shaocaholica posted:

I’m pressing my trashcan guy for one more. He might have it. Same spec.

can I ask you what you’re paying and what loadout you’re getting, whether you’re planning to upgrade them at all?

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Ok Comboomer posted:

can I ask you what you’re paying and what loadout you’re getting, whether you’re planning to upgrade them at all?

12core/D700/64G/1T for $300

Basically max spec from apple. The SSD is the only thing worth upgrading if you need it for whatever. I’ll have 3 hopefully. I’ll keep the best cosmetic one and probs sell the other 2 here.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Shaocaholica posted:

12core/D700/64G/1T for $300

Basically max spec from apple. The SSD is the only thing worth upgrading if you need it for whatever. I’ll have 3 hopefully. I’ll keep the best cosmetic one and probs sell the other 2 here.

That's an excellent price, especially for the D700. If he's got one and you pass on it but he's willing to ship, I'd love to be put in touch, if you don't mind.

Alternatively: are the "less cosmetically nice ones" in your possession rough looking? I'd rather buy a known quantity item from a goon (and hopefully spend less than $500+) than chance it buying a sight-unseen one from a reseller (or buying a ~$450 8-core and possibly/most likely upgrading it) and spend a bunch more money to do so, so if you do end up buying and culling down your collection I'd absolutely buy one of them off of you assuming that the price is agreeable and the aesthetic condition isn't too bad.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
The only issue I have with one of them is a dent on the bottom vent that’s not seen in use. The shell is also a bit stiff to unlock but overall looks excellent. The other one is excellent. I’m sure the 3rd would be excellent as well.

Anyone buying one from me will get a full set of photos showing any blemishes before committing for sure.

Shaocaholica fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Oct 3, 2023

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Shaocaholica posted:

I always thought that bluetooth delay was mostly due to the receiver and not the sender. At least I know that's true with my car (12yrs worth of different iPhones and all the same delay). Well I just bought a Creative Stage SE BT speaker for a desktop setup and connected it to my 2015 MBP to test and the delay was awful. Completely unusable for movies or anything that requires picture and sound sync. I just thought it was the speakers fault. A direct USB audio connection was perfectly in sync. I just hooked it up to my trashcan which is even older than the 2015 MBP and the BT sync is spot on with no perceptible delay. So it was the MBP that was the cause of the delay? Seems odd.

Lots of things can cause BT delays. I had a MBP that had a similar issue. It varies device to device. Generally, in a high end device from the last couple years, manufacturers have done an ok job mitigating BT delay in their product testing.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Shaocaholica posted:

The only issue I have with one of them is a dent on the bottom vent that’s not seen in use. The shell is also a bit stiff to unlock but overall looks excellent. The other one is excellent. I’m sure the 3rd would be excellent as well.

Anyone buying one from me will get a full set of photos showing any blemishes before committing for sure.

I’ll buy the excellent non-dented one that you decide not to keep if you end up going that route. LMK.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Is Unigine Valley the best/only 3D stress test you can run on an intel Mac?

BUUNNI
Jun 23, 2023

by Pragmatica

Ok Comboomer posted:

I don't think bootcamp works on the new M chips so I think Parallels is the only viable option for regular users, at least that's what I earned after trying to run stuff like R Studio and ARCGIS on my new Air

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

BUUNNI posted:

I don't think bootcamp works on the new M chips so I think Parallels is the only viable option for regular users, at least that's what I earned after trying to run stuff like R Studio and ARCGIS on my new Air

good thing that none of this matters for a 2013 Trashcan Mac Pro