Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Koos Group posted:

It is true that standard D&D rules do not apply and thread moderation is according to the judgement of the IK(s). I would certainly be willing to have an additional EngPol hangout thread on another part of the forums while making the one in D&D more rigorous if there were interest in this.

A) Don't call it EngPol...
B) No, I don't think you need to change the culture of a thread that's been around since before I signed up for these forums because of 2 recent troublemakers, that's a very silly suggestion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koos Group
Mar 6, 2013

forkboy84 posted:

A) Don't call it EngPol...
B) No, I don't think you need to change the culture of a thread that's been around since before I signed up for these forums because of 2 recent troublemakers, that's a very silly suggestion.

Well, in the hypothetical, the current thread culture would be preserved as-is in the hangout thread, which would just be in a different forum, as per Rugz' suggestion.

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022
Apparently, this thread is not for turning.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

The culture of the thread has always been to never tolerate bigots or racists

If anything it's the current modding position that has changed that culture

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
It is possible for the thread to self-regulate if people use the 'Block User' buttons.
So if someone isn't, it's probably safe to assume they're aggro enough that not knowing what an argument is about is worse than knowing what the argument is about.
Also, if they're posting in UKMT, they're probably aggro anyway.
Either way it's their own drat fault

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Koos Group posted:

Well, in the hypothetical, the current thread culture would be preserved as-is in the hangout thread, which would just be in a different forum, as per Rugz' suggestion.

you know how you pay attention to people's avs?

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
isn't there already a casual UK chat thread somewhere? I really can't see the need for another one tbh

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
*sergeant bilko turning over all the tables*

chatting? we're debating and discussing in here

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

kingturnip posted:

It is possible for the thread to self-regulate if people use the 'Block User' buttons.

imagining a future thread where half the posts are from a series of dickheads that everyone else has blocked, resulting in two simultaneously existing threads, one of which is wildly racist and the other is just posting "gently caress the tories"

another ik or just generally a bit more willingness to button-push would be nice, though my own theory atm is that if we just make a rule that when people don't want to engage with Obvious Bad Faith Poster #3,492 then said poster will get threadbanned for claiming the entire thread is against them and not willing to participate in the marketplace of ideas because it is afraid of debate. this will reduce Bad Posters by a considerable margin

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Koos Group posted:

There's already threads in GBS & CSPAM which all already exist so I'm not sure where else you'd move it to.

And by separating the invective filled politics posts and the useful answers to real problems with government bureaucracy from the thread going on a 2 day diversion into their favourite colour of crayon to eat, that is literally changing the thread culture. And I'd also add that directly telling racist apologists to gently caress off and stop being cunts is part of thread culture which seems completely antithetical to current D&D forum rules which are decorum poisoned to all hell. Which is fine if that's what you want I guess, but that's certainly not what I'm interested in.

The thread needs an IK who is actually willing to step in when someone is clearly baiting the easiest trolled thread in the world for hours on end, because I think Guav is a bit too hands off. But don't have a clue who that should be.

Or the thread can stop rising to the bait everytime but that's about as likely as stopping the planet from spinning around the sun

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
EngPol is a very cursed concept, imagine a whole thread of it.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Koos Group posted:

That... is unpleasant. :silent:

edit: This is not the only thread on the forum he is making GBS threads up currently, no idea of his agenda; acting in bad faith seems like a start.

Just Another Lurker fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Oct 3, 2023

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If you really want someone to go mad with power and start a kangaroo court to run people out of the thread I can do that, it's not hard. But I had thought generally I was in the outlier on that position.

I would at the least say that I don't actually see why some jumped up little oik who has done nothing but cause problems gets to make suggestions about where the thread should be relocated to, it works perfectly well here and has for a long time.

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022
My understanding was Jeffrey of YOSPOS likes engagement, which this thread had like 4 pages of recently. Personally, I just scrolled until there was no wanky slapfight. Behold the low budget solution.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/GBNEWS/status/1708895068432572870

https://twitter.com/larastonedqueen/status/1708941602519925047

e: This is a nice bit of schad. The way her face drops...

https://twitter.com/EddieBurfi/status/1708805901400895848

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Oct 3, 2023

WaffleACAB
Oct 31, 2010
Hello, from a lurker of well over a decade who cannot sleep .

Rugz and Thenis are absolute cunts and I would support a Pissflaps-style exiling of both. Tbh I'd take his lame Kursk posts over anything these two have said. Apologies if I'm getting people mixed up but didn't DreddyMatt post some dodgy poo poo a while back (I think during the travellers discussion) but has been more inoffensive recently, whereas the other two have been nothing but antagonistic and only poo poo up the thread. That's the line for me.

I don't get people's problem with NJAN99, he's just a cheeky sod who makes some ill-judged barbs every now and then. I never get the vibe he really means un-well.

I'm reading the thread a lot more after having gotten over my Twitter addiction of the last few years. Thanks Elon (and Bluesky being kinda dead) I guess. Got a few codes for BSky if anyone wants btw. I don't have PMs on here and don't want any random dickhead getting them so you can DM me on Twitter @WaffleACAB if you want one

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

I'm not as active as I used to be with posting, but I try to keep up with the thread every day. I'm happy to probate all you degenerates who post in favour of chocolate oranges as well as the occasional racist.

Njan99 is a fine poster nowadays even if his posting style is a cross of "cheeky lad" and "panel show oops I wasn't supposed to say that! ;)", but that's not ideal for an ik imo

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Angepain posted:

though my own theory atm is that if we just make a rule that when people don't want to engage with Obvious Bad Faith Poster #3,492

Some folks can't help but engage earnestly with trolls though. It speaks to their conviction.

This thread's culture is fine as it is and full D&D rules would make it awful. There should be a button pusher and it should be me because I have itchy fingers.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Angepain posted:

imagining a future thread where half the posts are from a series of dickheads that everyone else has blocked, resulting in two simultaneously existing threads, one of which is wildly racist and the other is just posting "gently caress the tories"
China Miéville's The Thread and the Thread style.

OwlFancier posted:

Also don't make njan99 an IK because I think that will force him off my ignore list
Your ignore list is out of date, we're all going to go live together in njan's big L wing house.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
It's pretty rare that things get aggro here, but it does make the thread unreadable for a couple days whenever some "debate me" prick with Views on Travellers or whatever wanders in. I think it's worth initially giving people the benefit of the doubt, and being the most easiy trolled thread on the forum is in some ways a testament to a general willingness here to engage people in earnest good faith. But in some cases a sixer and a warning that it's not that kind of thread would be preferable to twenty pages of owning them with facts and logic.

Maybe an IK would be good there since it's easier for them to spot that kind of poster than a mod who doesn't follow the thread. No names spring to mind immediately though.

big scary monsters fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Oct 3, 2023

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

2 racists get called cunts and the D&D modes immediately kramer in to protect them :thunk:

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

Koos Group posted:

It is true that standard D&D rules do not apply and thread moderation is according to the judgement of the IK(s). I would certainly be willing to have an additional EngPol hangout thread on another part of the forums while making the one in D&D more rigorous if there were interest in this.

nah gently caress that

this thread is the last remaining part of LF, when LF was cruelly taken away the ukmt regulars promptly invaded and conquered the uk dnd thread so that the proud shitposting traditions of our forebears could be preserved for future generations

line up three IK's and keep the one who probates the most people after a week, it will be fuckin' hilarious

DesperateDan fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Oct 3, 2023

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

It's pretty impressive how two people come in with takes of "cops murdering citizens is good actually" and "hello I am the Something Awful Ambassador from Britain First" and rather than them being threadbanned one of their suggestions to have the thread permanently changed is one of the main takeaways from the mod team.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

I'll be an IK!

What's an IK?!

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

fuctifino posted:

TW: I never thought I'd ever write the following.

In defence of NJAN99, he is no longer the worst poster in the thread. He's not even the second worst poster.

His posting has actually improved, and he has made an effort to fit in over the past few months. He even PM'd me out of the blue just the other day because he was worried I might take something he'd posted the wrong way (I didn't). He's made me laugh more times than he's riled me of late, so if people do have him on block, consider giving him a second chance. You can always put him back on block.

He shouldn't be IK though, and I feel terrible suggesting it as a joke ;)

Hah I noticed this too. I think this is because he used to have 'episodes' of just the worst posting ever (maybe triggered by some IRL thing, maybe a bit of his house collapsed or something) but his background level posting is actually quite entertaining. He doesn't seem to have those episodes any more so it's all background level.

This concludes my Poster Analysis.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
It's always exciting to see a Posting Brand going in new directions, and I congratulate those who make it work. However I'm proudly dedicated to keeping my posting as bland and uninteresting as it has been for more than a decade.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Miftan posted:

I'm not as active as I used to be with posting, but I try to keep up with the thread every day. I'm happy to probate all you degenerates who post in favour of chocolate oranges as well as the occasional racist.

Njan99 is a fine poster nowadays even if his posting style is a cross of "cheeky lad" and "panel show oops I wasn't supposed to say that! ;)", but that's not ideal for an ik imo

You sold post more OP

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

fuctifino posted:

TW: I never thought I'd ever write the following.
Genuinely have never seen the option to remove somebody from Ignore (or Buddy) list, which is the part of why I tend to wait until somebody has proven themselves a really, really tedious oval office before using it. Someone’s going to have to screenshot the “remove” button for me because I only see “add” even for people that are already on there.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/emilyhewertson/status/1708984955554955378

TACD posted:

Genuinely have never seen the option to remove somebody from Ignore (or Buddy) list, which is the part of why I tend to wait until somebody has proven themselves a really, really tedious oval office before using it. Someone’s going to have to screenshot the “remove” button for me because I only see “add” even for people that are already on there.

Try this link

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Oct 3, 2023

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Oh ha it really is just one of the main links at the top of the page :downs: thanks

What a ratchet way of managing it though

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Top far right of UCP, the beige strip. :thumbsup:

On the plus side i regret none of the idiots i've put on Ignore. :shrug:

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

I don't think Koos is advocating for changing the thread, just using those advanced debate club skills to note that if we want more moderation itt then it's either add more IKs or change the current detent where D&D mods don't touch the thread (which is fairly strictly adhered to). No pressure to change the latter.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Appoint me IK and I'll ban those two cunts then promptly resign.

Edit: gently caress autocorrect

keep punching joe fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Oct 3, 2023

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Careful what you wish for

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

keep punching joe posted:

EngPol is a very cursed concept, imagine a whole thread of it.

Wall-to-wall fitted gammon.

DesperateDan posted:

line up three IK's and keep the one who probates the most people after a week, it will be fuckin' hilarious

3 IKs enter, 1 IK leaves.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

IngPol's Ministry of Posts

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

forkboy84 posted:

You sold post more OP

I know, but real life keeps getting in the way of me getting sick owns on bad posters. Also this thread has some real quality regulars so by the time I'm caught up someone has usually articulated what I was thinking much better than I would have.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Jesus Christ

Next Tory leader?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Farage has been hovering around the tories a lot recently. Wonder what his game plan is. Knowing him it's going to be beyond terrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

OwlFancier posted:

If you really want someone to go mad with power and start a kangaroo court to run people out of the thread I can do that, it's not hard. But I had thought generally I was in the outlier on that position.

I would at the least say that I don't actually see why some jumped up little oik who has done nothing but cause problems gets to make suggestions about where the thread should be relocated to, it works perfectly well here and has for a long time.

Very much this. This thread has been around a decade or more, as have many of its posters. It's basically an institution. Someone who just jumped in a couple of weeks ago with the clear intention to troll it manages to get it moved/split/replaced? They're going to view that as a victory for them and rightly so. I would go so far as to say they made that suggestion in bad faith.

Also, are we sure these two people who kramered into the thread and derailed it with bad takes aren't actually the same people who did the same thing a month ago or so?

feedmegin fucked around with this message at 10:58 on Oct 3, 2023