Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
I did a two-person Dalriada once with a random, it was pretty sick tbh. took a long rear end time though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

Boy, you gotta carry that weight
Carry that weight a long time

Olesh posted:

-Yeah but your comparisons were bad and wrong. You were wrong to make them, and people were right to correct you with more accurate comparisons.
how can listing statistics of clear rates of content be bad and wrong? it's information that is pertinent to the original topic of discussion, that is, that there isn't enough casual content in endwalker. those statistics prove my point for me! players are not engaging in side content in endwalker nearly to the extent that they are engaging in side-content in shadowbringers.

-You were comparing casual, story difficulty content to 4 player savage content, how is that more fair that comparing DRS and criterion?
it's all under the umbrella of content that isn't 8 man savage raiding, sure. trying to pug DRS in tyol 2023 and trying to pug criterion in tyol 2023 are both equally fruitless without using established communities to get progress.

-You absolutely could. This is a weird sentence, but I assume by external planning tool you mean something like raidplan.io or toolbox.gg. Anyway, patently false; we were working on DRS right when it came out and certainly none of that existed back then. If you're talking instead about something like the BA organization groups to schedule runs, those existed, sure, but you didn't have to use them. Maybe that's not true nowadays, but I sure as poo poo did successful pick-up groups for DRS back when it came out, though, prior even to release of the proofs of mettle. The only "external planning tool" used was Discord, so that someone who knew the mechanics could explain them and call out what needed to be done.
yes, discord is the external planning tool that i am referring to. good luck clearing DRS in PF without voice comms or scheduling runs or anything along those lines.

-This is a strange and spurious complaint. Almost nobody in non-JP servers completes hard content using the duty finder, and extremes are no exception.
i've helped around 40 people complete first-time synced extremes in mentor roulettes this month on NA servers, so this is patently untrue. you're just pushing a line from people that want to get guildhests in their mentor roulettes to get the mount faster :)

-And yet, there's two versions - criterion and criterion (savage). I think the people that developed the content think that one of those is savage difficulty (the one labeled savage), and the non-savage criterion is... easier. On a difficulty scale, it's harder than extremes and easier than savage content. There's no preexisting term for content that fits between those two levels. If extreme trials are your comfort zone, I can understand why you would label the difficulty level of criterion as "savage" - it's harder than what you're used to! But people who are comfortable with savage trials dub the difficulty of criterion as closer to "extreme" than "savage". There IS a savage version of criterion, but it's not the one you had trouble with.
i've cleared this tier but thanks for patronizing me! anyways, in this interview with the creators of criterion dungeons they admit that the base difficulty is on par with savage raids. https://www.inverse.com/gaming/ffxiv-variant-criterion-dungeons-interview

"It’s somewhat similar to designing eight-player raids in that we’re creating two separate difficulties, but variant dungeons are about as hard as a four-player dungeon whereas criterion dungeons are equivalent to Savage"

-There is no "content longevity" problem nor a need to specifically plan for it. You want to do criterion six months/a year from now? Great, find three other people and go do it. It's a 50% lower bar than doing EXs.
there absolutely is, orthos 21-30 was dead within a month of release. it's bad for leveling jobs compared to bozja so the only people running orthos are doing so with a premade or solo. you have no reason to do variant dungeons after you complete all routes. you have no reason to do criterion dungeons after you acquire the mount and other rewards. as soon as dawntrail hits the most effective methods for acquiring endwalker relics will be eureka/bozja as they're the best source of poetics. it's a 50% lower bar if you don't consider that EX's have better rewards than criterion dungeons!!

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Frida Call Me posted:

how can listing statistics of clear rates of content be bad and wrong? it's information that is pertinent to the original topic of discussion, that is, that there isn't enough casual content in endwalker. those statistics prove my point for me! players are not engaging in side content in endwalker nearly to the extent that they are engaging in side-content in shadowbringers.

"More people have completed older content than newer content." Yeah. That's probably gonna be the case a lot of the time.

Out of sincere curiosity, what percentage of people should have to clear a piece of content for it to be worthy of being in the game?

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

This is all well thought and and well said and I appreciate it but also you can easily rebuke Frida's points with

"Person running community built entirely around ferrying people through one specific piece of content very adamant that other content is actually bad and no one wants to do it and you should want to join their group instead."

It explains away all their weird assumptions and complaints like it being harder to find a group for it or learn it without using outside help while also running a group made specifically cause finding people to clear BA is hard and learning it without most of the group knowing what to do already even harder.

It's actually 24 min 48 Max.

krile krew doesn't do BA. so gently caress off with your incorrect assumptions.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

can everybody just loving quit it

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

The big thing about the foray zones is that as soon as they become even the slightest bit outdated they become loving slogs, IMO. They're designed around the idea that there will be people running around and doing poo poo to make the area feel alive and the goals go by quickly, and when you don't have that mass of people they just loving suck and you're left running around grinding mettle/elemental levels on trash mobs.

When this is brought up, the answer is always somebody running in to say "Get together with Krile Krew and they'll boost you through it!" but that's bullshit imo. If getting through the content in a reasonable amount of time/effort requires dedicating Saturdays to having ringers haul you through it, then it's bad content.

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

Khizan posted:

The big thing about the foray zones is that as soon as they become even the slightest bit outdated they become loving slogs, IMO. They're designed around the idea that there will be people running around and doing poo poo to make the area feel alive and the goals go by quickly, and when you don't have that mass of people they just loving suck and you're left running around grinding mettle/elemental levels on trash mobs.

When this is brought up, the answer is always somebody running in to say "Get together with Krile Krew and they'll boost you through it!" but that's bullshit imo. If getting through the content in a reasonable amount of time/effort requires dedicating Saturdays to having ringers haul you through it, then it's bad content.

both forays are extremely active at pretty much all times on primal. of course, you'd have to actually enter the foray content to see that for yourself. was in southern front last night with 58 people in instance. was in an anemos on saturday night with 80 people.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

hexwren posted:

can everybody just loving quit it
Yes we're all quitting it because the game is dead and all the content is bad, try to keep up

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Frida Call Me posted:

both forays are extremely active at pretty much all times on primal. of course, you'd have to actually enter the foray content to see that for yourself. was in southern front last night with 58 people in instance. was in an anemos on saturday night with 80 people.

What about the instances that aren't the first leg of 4 consecutive ones? Especially the big filter that is still Pagos?

Martman
Nov 20, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
I just checked and there are ZERO players in eureka and bozja right now, on every server. What a joke

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

What about the instances that aren't the first leg of 4 consecutive ones? Especially the big filter that is still Pagos?

pagos sees more people in-zone than anemos most nights. pyros is generally the least populated but also the fastest to get through because of quicker crystal returns and the added power of logos actions, and mutations/adapations giving triple XP to mob kills (that stacks with chain bonus, fairy buff and harmony potions). hydatos sees tons of action pretty much all of the time due to it being BA-adjacent and needing tons of crystals to finish relics.

pagos with 200% echo isn't nearly as bad as it was on release. i legitimately enjoy helping people get through pagos.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Martman posted:

I just checked and there are ZERO players in eureka and bozja right now, on every server. What a joke

Bozja has died at last, Zepla validated.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Martman posted:

actually im in bozja rn

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Frida Call Me posted:

5 people is the maximum I've ever seen on my OCE servers and I was doing bozja quite a bit for levelling.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I am hearing reports that Tupac Shakur is alive and well in Bozja.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
I interrupt this dumb argument to let you all know -

:siren: PATCH IS UP - 2563 MB :siren:

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

Lord_Magmar posted:

5 people is the maximum I've ever seen on my OCE servers and I was doing bozja quite a bit for levelling.

OCE servers are pretty low-population compared to JP and NA servers - can tell this just from the lack of congestion tagged servers across datacenters. fortunately, bozja scales pretty well at low player counts. the majority of skirmishes scale, all CEs do, and you can do CLL/DAL with minimum 2 people (and it's great fun with a group of 5-8 people with worthwhile actions & essences).

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Frida Call Me posted:

OCE servers are pretty low-population compared to JP and NA servers - can tell this just from the lack of congestion tagged servers across datacenters. fortunately, bozja scales pretty well at low player counts. the majority of skirmishes scale, all CEs do, and you can do CLL/DAL with minimum 2 people (and it's great fun with a group of 5-8 people with worthwhile actions & essences).

The point is that anecdotal evidence is purely anecdotal and it's going to be heavily server reliant. Importantly doing the actual storylines does become a slog if only 5 people are around imo, and 2 people to do Dalraida still requires 1 other person to want to do Dalraida at all. Also, also, worthwhile actions and essences represents knowing what to do with actions and essences (which yeah in a prebuilt group is fine, with randoms it is not).

Edit: You really like the Foray zones and that's really cool, but I think that the inherent bias of liking them should be accounted for in evaluation. I think they're cool ideas implemented poorly, and a big part of that is how awful they feel if you don't have people around to help you.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

You've yet to answer my question. You've multiple times now touted achievement completion percentages as worthwhile metrics for comparing the value of in-game content.

So what percentage of players need to have completed that content for it to be considered valuable to you?

It seems like 45% completing a content questline means it is valuable, but 7.6% completing a further grind means it is not valuable. So what's the cutoff number?

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

Mordiceius posted:

You've yet to answer my question. You've multiple times now touted achievement completion percentages as worthwhile metrics for comparing the value of in-game content.

So what percentage of players need to have completed that content for it to be considered valuable to you?

It seems like 45% completing a content questline means it is valuable, but 7.6% completing a further grind means it is not valuable. So what's the cutoff number?

i thought i made it clear i wasn't going to respond to your posts in my previous response to your posts.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Frida Call Me posted:

i thought i made it clear i wasn't going to respond to your posts in my previous response to your posts.

But you're responding to their posts right now??????

(Sorry I couldn't stop the bit).

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

Lord_Magmar posted:

The point is that anecdotal evidence is purely anecdotal and it's going to be heavily server reliant. Importantly doing the actual storylines does become a slog if only 5 people are around imo, and 2 people to do Dalraida still requires 1 other person to want to do Dalraida at all. Also, also, worthwhile actions and essences represents knowing what to do with actions and essences (which yeah in a prebuilt group is fine, with randoms it is not).

Edit: You really like the Foray zones and that's really cool, but I think that the inherent bias of liking them should be accounted for in evaluation. I think they're cool ideas implemented poorly, and a big part of that is how awful they feel if you don't have people around to help you.

vast majority of the people posting in these threads are playing from NA servers so my anecdotal evidence carries more than weight than yours!

i've had great luck with starting DRN party finder groups, requiring pure essences, and people are down to bring lost actions to make the run faster. you just have to communicate with them.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Frida Call Me posted:

Sorry I called you out on your bad post.

And for the record, you said - "45% of players have completed the save the queen storyline"

Instead of comparing that to people doing floor 100 runs of Eureka Orthos, you should compare it to people who got the achievement for clearing floor 30 - which is the base story of the content - just like completing the "Save the Queen" quest. And you didn't do that because that number is 33% completion rate. Not too far off and that number will only go up over time.

And so you also pointed out - "7.6% of players have cleared orthos up to floor 100 once"

Well, that is something for the more "hardcore" players. Your average casual isn't doing that. So what's something worth comparing it to? Well I suggested comparing it to Delubrum Reginae (Savage), which is a 9.7% completion rate. Pretty similar. But that wasn't good enough for you because DRS requires a big group.

How about we compare to the percentage of people who have completed duels in Bozja. That's a solo activity. So that's something we can compare to a floor 100 clear of Orthos.

The Hypertuned Dabog duel has 1.8% completion rate.
The Menenius sas Lanatus duel has a 2.2% completion rate.
The Lyon the Beast King duel has a 2.0% completion rate.

Sure seems like no one likes doing duels. By your very metric, the devs probably shouldn't waste any resources in designing duels for whatever the next foray is. They have such a low completion rate.

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

as an FYI xivlauncher/dalamud doesn't handle the patch download well, you have to use the original launcher at the moment.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
On the flipside, the xivlauncher can potentially download the launcher update if the original launcher spits out an error.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

haven't used the original launcher in ages and now i've noticed that it's the first place i've seen a video game company actually change the twitter bird icon on their socials buttons to the stupid x :rip:

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
please bring back the servers the posts are getting worse

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Joe Chip posted:

Anybody have any good guides about maintaining GCD uptime on BLM? I am stuck around ~90% pretty consistently but I just can't seem to get above that. A lot of my downtime is just adjusting to mechanics/PF so maybe I just need to put in the hours?

Edit: If the answer is study XIVAnalysis I'm already there but I could use some pointers about what to look for.

I would honestly recommend asking in the balance discord and sharing a good log. In my experience they've always been super helpful and have actually combed through some of my logs in detail to give advice. There's also fight specific chats which might have what you're looking for too.

snohax
May 30, 2011

HackensackBackpack posted:

They should just make a new colour mage that's like a weird colour.

Platinum Mage. Our NPC mentor will be Bayonetta.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

i could see them naming a new caster class the Witch

Joe Chip
Jan 4, 2014

Xun posted:

I would honestly recommend asking in the balance discord and sharing a good log. In my experience they've always been super helpful and have actually combed through some of my logs in detail to give advice. There's also fight specific chats which might have what you're looking for too.

I joined this and it seems like the current discussion is about what to do if you drop Enochian and what the mana cutoff is for F3/B3. This is exactly what I needed thank you.

Just want to be clear no sarcasm here. I knew about the balance site but not the discord and this is a real game changer for me.

Joe Chip fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Oct 3, 2023

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kerrzhe posted:

i could see them naming a new caster class the Witch

That is Y'shola's custom class already.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

ImpAtom posted:

That is Y'shola's custom class already.

Isn't it Sorceress?

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I was able to do Eureka and Bozja content within the last year pretty consistently every weekday around 12PM CST during my lunch break. Maybe it's dried up a bit in the last month, but I'd say that's probably mogtomes taking all the attention.

There were some dead days, sure, but that I was able to routinely find other people to play with in old content at that particular time was pretty wild to me. That's my anecdote, thank you.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I think more content should be designed to be theoretically soloable. That way it turns from a dead end into a different kind of challenge.

I'm never completely bummed out that I can't find a team for Eureka Orthos, because then I can just try to solo Eureka Orthos instead, which is also fun.

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Oct 3, 2023

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

we should go back to locking the thread during patch

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
We need to go back to glam spamming

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

O gentle friend, share with me your bacon-scented wisdom

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?
What are y'all gonna do first when you login? My first goal is to catch up on the MSQ. I'll probably do Thaleia tomorrow so I can space things out.

Maybe some PVP here and there. I'm assuming /slump will be the Rank 5 reward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Starting with alliance raid unlock for the FC blind run. Then probably check up on the island.