Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arbetor
Mar 28, 2010

Gonna play tasty.

Applying a scaling percentage factor to the rewards based solely on time is a little blunt and clunky, but the dev is clearly responsive and active, so I think I will stick to this one. The one thing I really like so far is the quests. I see them as a version of challenges in other idle games, but they are a major change to how you play one of the minigames, an actual challenge, and not something I am going to have to do over and over and over every time I prestige something.

The depth dweller changes are also great, very happy with this patch (aside from the 8 hour thing, which is just cludgy.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

an iksar marauder
May 6, 2022

An iksar marauder glowers at you dubiously -- looks like quite a gamble.

Nea posted:

it's not mandatory at all. the rewards from school are as of follows:

for each subject you have unlocked, which only happens with global level, nothing you do inside of school will increase this, you get a number of books per hour, which you can use to increase the maximum level of certain upgrades.

for completing tests, you can get an amount of golden dust, which is effectively a short (in the realm of minutes) timeskip for only one feature at a time

so if you don't wanna gently caress around with it, you do not have to at all.

game just got patched to make fast resetting not nearly as good as 8 hour runs.

oh that's great to know, thank you

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title

Hand Row posted:

Not sure what you mean though for lack of indication on ready to upgrade. If it’s red you don’t have enough, white is good to go and orange is you need to increase your cap. And the button is dark for Buy if you can’t.
I meant that especially when things are paginated it's hard to tell at-a-glance what you can upgrade.

For the Village in particular you gotta scroll around through a whole sea of buildings, some of which like the Crane are hardly relevant except for "# of buildings" achievements.

The pagination tabs could have a little indicator about whether that page had something to buy, but it's probably better for them to not be there at all.

Nea posted:

game just got patched to make fast resetting not nearly as good as 8 hour runs.
Checking out the new patch now, dang these notes are intense. Is this this guy's full-time job??

Really appreciate the Depth Dweller tooltip now saying how long things will take.

The changes to make "fast" Horde prestige less attractive don't seem to do much to make Horde prestige feel good or worthwhile.

Gooboo posted:

These changes aim to reduce the gap between players with very fast prestiges and others who prestige one or two times a day.
I couldn't imagine wanting to do one or two Horde prestiges unless there was more automation.

GetDunked
Dec 16, 2011

respectfully
There's a bit of automation in horde in that you can have it automatically fight bosses and progress zones if you win, if that counts

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Looks like it drastically reduced gem prices for a bunch of things too, which is great. I like how responsive the dev is so far.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
The big thing the game needs is an "auto-buy upgrades" automation but I'm not sure it exists yet.

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

rouge means red in french
I don't like the entire Horde section. It feels way too active with the super short cooldown clickies.

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs

dipwood posted:

I don't like the entire Horde section. It feels way too active with the super short cooldown clickies.

Yeah the constant clicking is annoying (and I want to automate it asap), and I'd like at least an approximation of bones/second from the zone I'm in, similar to the scrap and ore/second in the mining screen.
e: another useful piece of information to have would be timers, just simple "how long until this resource is maxed" and "how long until you have enough resources for this purchase" tooltips. Would make evaluating whether an upgrade is reasonably attainable or not easier.

junan_paalla fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Oct 2, 2023

crime weed
Nov 9, 2009
okay yeah, gold cracks the garden mechanics wide open; for anyone who hasn't drop that gnome down & buy plant levels ASAP

Baddog
May 12, 2001
Can't figure out what "magical damage conversion" is doing in horde. Doesn't seem to be converting damage I'm doing. Is it converting damage I'm taking to physical? Hard to tell, but doesn't really seem to be doing that either.

All the biological/poison equipment seems to suck because bosses are so resistant to it.

Arbetor
Mar 28, 2010

Gonna play tasty.

Baddog posted:

Can't figure out what "magical damage conversion" is doing in horde. Doesn't seem to be converting damage I'm doing. Is it converting damage I'm taking to physical? Hard to tell, but doesn't really seem to be doing that either.

All the biological/poison equipment seems to suck because bosses are so resistant to it.

If you mouse over your damage number, it will say "Regular attacks happen every second and have the following damage distribution: <numbers>". With no equipment you do 100% physical damage, equipping the Fire Orb changes it to 2/3s physical, 1/3 magical, etc. (not 100% sure what the math is to get 50% magic damage conversion into 2/3s and 1/3). So when you run into enemies that are resistant to physical damage, one third of your damage isn't resisted. But enemies that resist magic will take less damage on the magical portion.

I think the idea with the biological/poison equipment is to use a trash mob setup with a lot of bio/poison, then a specific build for the boss. Which seems high maintenance for the game, but I also remember some of the boss fights in NGU, so I can't complain too much.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
Damage you are doing, at least for the orb. Mouse over the crossed swords for the breakdown. Bio damage sucking is because the corrupt eye does it as an add on to making bosses slightly more likely to drop a soul (and trashing your stats). Wish it just didn't bother with the damage so that all types get a chance.

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Arbetor posted:

If you mouse over your damage number, it will say "Regular attacks happen every second and have the following damage distribution: <numbers>". With no equipment you do 100% physical damage, equipping the Fire Orb changes it to 2/3s physical, 1/3 magical, etc. (not 100% sure what the math is to get 50% magic damage conversion into 2/3s and 1/3). So when you run into enemies that are resistant to physical damage, one third of your damage isn't resisted. But enemies that resist magic will take less damage on the magical portion.

I think the idea with the biological/poison equipment is to use a trash mob setup with a lot of bio/poison, then a specific build for the boss. Which seems high maintenance for the game, but I also remember some of the boss fights in NGU, so I can't complain too much.

Ohh thanks! I was looking at the little triangle/square/circle icon to the right. Damage dealt/damage taken. But apparently that's a *different* multiplier than damage distribution, heh.

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title

crime weed posted:

okay yeah, gold cracks the garden mechanics wide open; for anyone who hasn't drop that gnome down & buy plant levels ASAP
I'm not sure it cracks anything open so much as it introduces another extremely slow building RNG-dependent resource that all the upgrades still require an assload of

but it moves things beyond the turnip stage, certainly

A (I assume) recently-added note tells you to put the gnome on the field. Prior to that, I thought the gnome might be discreetly finding gold for use in the Village tab. The resource shoulda been named worms or shells or glitter or anything not already used by another tab.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
NGU Idle: Is Chocolate supposed to be a large adventure stats wall? Also, are all normal challenges expected to be complete before you hit Evil?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Sivart13 posted:

Prior to that, I thought the gnome might be discreetly finding gold for use in the Village tab.

Speaking of this kind of thing, is there any interaction between games beyond "they all build the same global level to unlock things" and "the quests in the generals tab require you to do things in multiple games"?

Right now it feels like you're just playing multiple different idlers at once.

GetDunked
Dec 16, 2011

respectfully

Toshimo posted:

NGU Idle: Is Chocolate supposed to be a large adventure stats wall? Also, are all normal challenges expected to be complete before you hit Evil?

It's been a while, but I think conventional wisdom is everything but the no time machine challenge should be 100% done before Evil. I do recall chocolate being a pain in the rear end.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

I thought you dipped your toe into evil to get a few bonuses, the go back to normal to finish out the rest of the normal stuff. There are some low hanging evil perks that offer decent bonuses (might even just be a single “welcome to evil” or something perk). Not sure what else, but just those are fairly decent if I recall.

But yes, chocolate in normal has a pretty large stat hump, as it’s the last adventure zone of normal. There is a similar stat hump for the final adventure zone in evil if I recall.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Does food do anything in gooboo? Besides unlock the Treasury. Seems like my guys are fine starving to death.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

It's what gets converted to gold.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

I seem to be missing whatever upgrade is needed to get more tin capacity. It's stuck at 2 and the only upgrade I have that can use it requires 15.

Finally able to prestige the village after waiting 3 days and opening 4 packs to get a duplicate card. I don't like this mechanic at all, it's probably going to take a week to be able to prestige horde.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

Jabor posted:

Speaking of this kind of thing, is there any interaction between games beyond "they all build the same global level to unlock things" and "the quests in the generals tab require you to do things in multiple games"?

Right now it feels like you're just playing multiple different idlers at once.

I'm not as far as some people (only at star level 149), but it seems like the main thing linking them is star level and how all of them contribute to the same pool of achievements, which then feeds into gems and more buffs for whatever you're focused on right now. Modes linking different subgames definitely seems like something they could add as a later addition, though.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Xerol posted:

I seem to be missing whatever upgrade is needed to get more tin capacity. It's stuck at 2 and the only upgrade I have that can use it requires 15.

Finally able to prestige the village after waiting 3 days and opening 4 packs to get a duplicate card. I don't like this mechanic at all, it's probably going to take a week to be able to prestige horde.

You don't actually need cards in order to prestige. You just won't get a bonus card effect if you prestige without one.

Upgrading tin capacity needs you to be past floor 50.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Xerol posted:

Also, two points:

1) Once you reach 60, you get an additional sub-mechanic that produces the items you need to boost tin ore capacity.

2) Please don't wait until you have duplicate cards to slot in to prestige. You're stalling your progress completely to get one bonus that isn't even permanent, while also stopping you from getting more achievements to speed up gem drops which you need to get more cards in the first place.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

Well I'm dumb. Thought you had to slot a card to prestige.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Lurks With Wolves posted:

Also, two points:

1) Once you reach 60, you get an additional sub-mechanic that produces the items you need to boost tin ore capacity.

2) Please don't wait until you have duplicate cards to slot in to prestige. You're stalling your progress completely to get one bonus that isn't even permanent, while also stopping you from getting more achievements to speed up gem drops which you need to get more cards in the first place.

Whoa, no, you don't need to get all the way to 60 you can get the sub-mechanic going as early as 50.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

Arbetor posted:

(not 100% sure what the math is to get 50% magic damage conversion into 2/3s and 1/3)

Figured this out: it's leaving your normal physical damage alone, and then adding an additional 50% magic damage on top of it. So you're ending up with 2 parts physical damage and 1 part magical damage. This clicked for me after seeing another item's description.

---

Infinity Gaia posted:

Whoa, no, you don't need to get all the way to 60 you can get the sub-mechanic going as early as 50.

Got this unlocked at 51 (why doesn't 50 have aluminum but 51 does?) but that doesn't seem to unlock any tin capacity upgrades.

Xerol fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Oct 3, 2023

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Xerol posted:

Got this unlocked at 51 (why doesn't 50 have aluminum but 51 does?) but that doesn't seem to unlock any tin capacity upgrades.

When aluminium dropped off when you went too deep, the game mentioned that aluminium will keep popping in on depths divisible by 3. (51/3=17)
I think it'll say so when you hover over the resource as well.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Infinity Gaia posted:

I think there's actually two different sub-mechanics there - the first one (that produces a resource you need) unlocks at 50, the second that lets you turn that resource into a different resource to upgrade your tin capacity unlocks at 60.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Jabor posted:

I think there's actually two different sub-mechanics there - the first one (that produces a resource you need) unlocks at 50, the second that lets you turn that resource into a different resource to upgrade your tin capacity unlocks at 60.

Oh, you're right, I guess I didn't realize they unlocked at different times because I basically pushed through those ten levels more or less in one go with a night's worth of idle resources.

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

Just starting out with Gooboo, and really enjoying the mix of mechanics. Of all the things it has, I think the over-capacity mechanism is one of the best I've seen in the genre. I like these games that have capacity limits and storage mechanisms, but the innovation of being able to still gather resources above the limit is a great change. You don't ever really feel like to have to check in right now because your resources are full. It's honestly brilliant. I'm sure it may have been used elsewhere in other games, but it's the first time I've seen it.

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

What's the deal with faith? My first village had the church producing 0.05/s for the first Church and showing that the second would bump production to 0.15/s. Now on my first reset I see the Church saying it produces 0.04/s and the second changes that to 0.12/s

Is this happening naturally because of progression (a gradual worsening of Faith production) or is it because the production keys off of something else I just have less of this time around, like pop?

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Had you refreshed the game between those resets? The dev is constantly tweaking things, and that might be one of them.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

KazigluBey posted:

What's the deal with faith? My first village had the church producing 0.05/s for the first Church and showing that the second would bump production to 0.15/s. Now on my first reset I see the Church saying it produces 0.04/s and the second changes that to 0.12/s

Is this happening naturally because of progression (a gradual worsening of Faith production) or is it because the production keys off of something else I just have less of this time around, like pop?

If you look at how faith cap works, it's much more lenient about overcapping than other things "You have reached the cap 11 times resulting in a reduction to 50% gain" oh okay then.

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

pixaal posted:

If you look at how faith cap works, it's much more lenient about overcapping than other things "You have reached the cap 11 times resulting in a reduction to 50% gain" oh okay then.

Yes I understand this, that's not my question. The base production went down on a baseline, per-church basis between resets. Nothing to do with the overcapping penalty.

Orvin posted:

Had you refreshed the game between those resets? The dev is constantly tweaking things, and that might be one of them.

Not seeing any changes to faith in the changelog for the last couple of versions. :shrug:

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

KazigluBey posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if there was a silent boost to your first run's church to make sure you get a decent amount of faith despite the fact that you'll be stalling out around that point. It's held steady at 4-12% for me over the 2/3 runs where I've actually paid attention to my church gains, so it can't be degrading that much.

crime weed
Nov 9, 2009

KazigluBey posted:

the progression i've always seen has been (x10^-2):

4 -> 12 -> 24 -> 36 (?)

not sure how you managed to get 5 -> 15, but it was likely either a bug or an older version (or some temporary modifier i guess)

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Gooboo: How do you get green crystals? The color suggests you get them from the dweller when you prestige but I can't find anything actually saying that.

crime weed
Nov 9, 2009

Sindai posted:

Gooboo: How do you get green crystals? The color suggests you get them from the dweller when you prestige but I can't find anything actually saying that.
green crystals are from dweller prestiges yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

The tooltip explains it, but might not show up until after you reach a milestone.