Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

I've seen Demons already, want to watch new movies only this month.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Demon Witch Child

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

PKMN Trainer Red posted:

There's two levels of horror quizzes:

1. The normal person quiz, with questions like, 'What is the name of the camp that Jason stalks in Friday the 13th?'

2. The one run by horror people, with questions like, 'Name four of the rowdy teenagers from Return of the Living Dead'.

It's usually the first one, but sometimes it's an absolute treat when you stumble into the second one.

I feel like my brain must know what it's doing, so it's okay to forget the names of all the characters in beloved movies I've seen a bunch of times.

Jack Deth, I remember that name.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

dorium posted:

If you can find a way to watch My Little Eye you should watch My Little Eye. It’s early in the month but it’s going to end up my personal new favorite discovery this year. What a picture! Don’t look at the cast list though. Just watch the movie.
How did you watch it?

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Shrecknet posted:

I've seen Demons already, want to watch new movies only this month.

The Wailing is a favourite

that Shudder one about the livestream posession was silly and fun too but I can't remember what it's called. edit: The Cleansing Hour!

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Host really showed me I'm getting old cuz I feel like I almost had a heart attack watching it

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
i appreciate that The Exorcist III (now watching on TUBI!!!!) understands that the glue that connects the series is incredible bromances (often centered around movie dates)

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Kinderman’s such a weird dude, he considered Karras a close friend when they had what? Two or three interactions at the most? Completely unhinged cop logic.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
has anyone happened to catch Suitable Flesh at a screening? I was curious if it was any good. Previews gave me skinemax vibes tbh

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

A fat guy, a watermelon, and a stack of magazines?
Family.
The award for best team name last night went to “Bela Lugosi’s Dad”

It was a crowd pleaser

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
https://mubi.com/en/lists/j-horror-8cca93b0-9bfd-475f-b545-b034f1898583
If somebody needs an October Challenge, this is like 3 years worth.

PKMN Trainer Red posted:

That's a REALLY new release. And a pretty niche film, what on earth question was it that the answer was Enys Men?

Who's to say. I was mostly interested in catching it because it was in academy ratio and shot on 16.

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

https://mubi.com/en/lists/j-horror-8cca93b0-9bfd-475f-b545-b034f1898583
If somebody needs an October Challenge, this is like 3 years worth.

Who's to say. I was mostly interested in catching it because it was in academy ratio and shot on 16.

You definitely should, I liked it (but I do love folk horror, and have a strong tolerance for slooooooow movies).

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Every single criticism was exactly what I expected so it didn't deter me, I just missed like a 4 day long window to see it on the big screen.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

ruddiger posted:

Kinderman’s such a weird dude, he considered Karras a close friend when they had what? Two or three interactions at the most? Completely unhinged cop logic.

I was thinking that it probably has something to do with the transition from book to film, where it's easier for a book to show the passage of time versus a 2 hour movie. But that actually doesn't make a ton of sense in this case because Kinderman doesn't meet Karras until Burke Dennings dies, and from that point how much time really goes by before the end? A few weeks? A month?

I guess it's really just that Kinderman is a lonely guy and he happens to meet Karras who is struggling with his faith and very much open to connecting with someone who he can just talk to and go to movies with. So it works for both of them and the friendship clicks right away.

The relationship with Dyer in Exorcist III is a lot better obviously, because it feels like a longstanding established friendship(and the actors have great chemistry).

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Sae Enys Men on a decently big screen and man every piece of grain was about the size of my head.

Beautiful film.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

ruddiger posted:

Look it's either the drunk priest or the fish in the bathtub and we all know how he feels about that.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Crescent Wrench posted:

I want to know what happened in the four minutes between these posts.

iirc, that was when they introduced a new character who spoke entirely in sassy millenial speak.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Basebf555 posted:

I was thinking that it probably has something to do with the transition from book to film, where it's easier for a book to show the passage of time versus a 2 hour movie. But that actually doesn't make a ton of sense in this case because Kinderman doesn't meet Karras until Burke Dennings dies, and from that point how much time really goes by before the end? A few weeks? A month?

I guess it's really just that Kinderman is a lonely guy and he happens to meet Karras who is struggling with his faith and very much open to connecting with someone who he can just talk to and go to movies with. So it works for both of them and the friendship clicks right away.

The relationship with Dyer in Exorcist III is a lot better obviously, because it feels like a longstanding established friendship(and the actors have great chemistry).

In the movie it's played like he's making a pass at Karras, which is very funny.

Class3KillStorm
Feb 17, 2011

Basebf555 posted:

Having just watched The Exorcist again, they do elide a lot of random time between scenes, but I got the impression that days or even weeks at a time would go by between visits from Karras. Especially before he gets a chance to talk to the Cardinal to formally request an exorcism. So, it's possible that Kinderman and Karras had struck up a brief friendship in between all of that time and just never talked shop, as it were. (Also that Regan ended up strapped to that bed for like a solid month or two.)

But yeah, that friendship with Father Dyer feels a lot more believable in part 3. Both because the characters feel like they have years of backstory now and because George C. Scott is an incredible actor.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Real talk if anyone is in a position to get one of these, my kid would absolutely love it

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Punkin Spunkin posted:

How did you watch it?

conjured it with a summoning circle.

MrGreenShirt
Mar 14, 2005

Hell of a book. It's about bunnies!

Shrecknet posted:

Demons and specifically demonic possession is my absolute least favorite kind of spookadoodle but I need it for the horror challenge, someone rec me a good one that isn't The Pope's Exorcist.

The Last Exorcism is, imo, an all-time highlight of an otherwise fairly mediocre subgenre.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Just a FYI that talking about or encouraging or explaining how to practice witchcraft, how to summon demons, speak to the dead, use a summoning circle, consort with spirits or any other supernatural methodology is a probatable offense. We don't encourage our posters to practice the dark arts.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Oct 3, 2023

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
i summon ur mom last night, heh heh

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Hollismason posted:

Just a FYI that talking about practicing witchcraft, how to summon demons, speak to the dead, use a summoning circle or any other supernatural methodology is a probatable offense. We don't encourage our posters to practice the dark arts.

What me and the devil do behind closed doors is both consensual and sensual. I would hope the moderators of SomethingAwful would be against intruding upon my privacy.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Hollismason posted:

Just a FYI that talking about practicing witchcraft, how to summon demons, speak to the dead, use a summoning circle or any other supernatural methodology is a probatable offense. We don't encourage our posters to practice the dark arts.

That's a dumb rule, this is supposed to be a comedy forum, not some safe space hugbox.

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Maybe I'm just a freeze peach warrior, but I will never stop saying

Belial, Behemoth, Beelzebub
Asmodeus, Satanas, Lucifer

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
The world between the living and the dead is thinner in the month of October and we have to consider the safety of the posters.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

I'm going to visit a friend at the end of this month, and he was saying "yeah I got these friends, they're throwing a freaky fetish party for Halloween, they usually rent out a whole old mansion for it, I can get us in" and I immediately said "Absolutely not, Have you ever seen a horror movie? I'm the fat funny guy so I got even odds at surviving, but you are chum"

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

MrGreenShirt posted:

The Last Exorcism is, imo, an all-time highlight of an otherwise fairly mediocre subgenre.

Throwing another vote for Last Exorcism. It's dope if you can tolerate found footage.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Hollismason posted:

Just a FYI that talking about or encouraging or explaining how to practice witchcraft, how to summon demons, speak to the dead, use a summoning circle, consort with spirits or any other supernatural methodology is a probatable offense. We don't encourage our posters to practice the dark arts.

Asking for clarification, but is that a blanket classification of the dark arts, the Hot Topic Goth witchery, the listened to too much Stevie Nicks witchery, or the just doing it for shock value types?

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Hollismason posted:

The world between the living and the dead is thinner in the month of October and we have to consider the safety of the posters.

https://x.com/Tottykins1/status/1709215949956497829?s=20.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Hollismason posted:

The world between the living and the dead is thinner in the month of October

Unlike yo’ mama.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Shrecknet posted:

Demons and specifically demonic possession is my absolute least favorite kind of spookadoodle but I need it for the horror challenge, someone rec me a good one that isn't The Pope's Exorcist.

Would Possessor count, or does it need to be demonic possession?

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

moths posted:

Would Possessor count, or does it need to be demonic possession?
sadly it must be demonic. I was raised atheist (not Christmas Christian but actual atheist) so devils/demons never spooked me at all. Looked through my LB and I legit only have 3 demon/devil movies across 607 horror watches

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

A fat guy, a watermelon, and a stack of magazines?
Family.

Shrecknet posted:

sadly it must be demonic. I was raised atheist (not Christmas Christian but actual atheist) so devils/demons never spooked me at all. Looked through my LB and I legit only have 3 demon/devil movies across 607 horror watches

Would Drag Me to Hell count? Or does possession have to be the focus of the movie?

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

Shrecknet posted:

Have you seen Talk to Me?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Deadite posted:

Would Drag Me to Hell count? Or does possession have to be the focus of the movie?

Doesn't have to be about possession necessarily, just anything with The Devil and/or demons.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

MrGreenShirt posted:

Another recommendation for The Last Exorcism, which is good as hell even if I spent the entire running time trying to place where else I'd seen the lead guy he's also Howard Hamlin in Better Call Saul.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer

Snooze Cruise posted:

i summon ur mom last night, heh heh

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

This is one the quickest draws on a warning, offending post, and probation I've ever seen.