Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Loren posted:

Ha yes I'll go diesel on my surface trains and use that extra electric capacity for the metro. Perfect! Thanks

If you are doing a realistic mode game, another note is that actually getting metro trains onto the line is a bit fiddly.

I think last time I did it, you have to buy them at the border (or produce them at your train factory) and then use a locomotive to pick them up as cargo, same as you do for getting carriages to depots so you can assemble trains out of them. Then you need to ship them to a depot except the depot needs to have normal rails on one side, and metro rails on the other side, and also ideally a bypass rail connecting both directly so that your track constructors can get past.

Then you should be able to launch the metro trains from the train depot after delivering them with a normal loco.

Metro systems also are inherently one way only, in the sense that the stations have dedicated in/out directions, and also you can't do any sort of junction underground or with elevated rail. Tunnels and elevated sections can't be junctioned so your metro system can only do linear paths from station to station and needs to be running at ground level if you want to do switches, so a ground level section near your metro depot is a good idea so you can handle junctioning into the metro loop from the depot. There are underground "end stations" however which I think allow your trains to do U turns at the end of the line.

They're a tremendous amount of faff to set up, and also honestly kind of dubiously useful because they can't connect directly to other commuter rail services and they don't go very fast. But the upside is that you can build very high capacity transit systems with minimal above-ground footprint, you can connect the stations to a quite wide area using tunnel footpaths, so if you have a very big city and an industry relatively close by, you can use them to supply workers there. They are also presumably a quite effective passenger rail system if you want to build a central service district of a city and have people rail in to use them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Since going realistic mode, I have only ever electrified my trains in specific, busy corridors - usually areas where I tend to have more “shuttle” style trains that I don’t want go out of their way to go find fuel. I used to do this frequently with passenger trains but since you can now fuel end stations this isn’t so necessary. (and I think almost every single passenger line should have an end station for spacing, road or rail.)

Loren
Nov 9, 2005
Master of Chaos
I am not in realistic mode on this play through. I placed some Metro stations and dug tunnels using auto build with rubles, thinking my 8 million in oil profits would easily finance it. Holy crap it's expensive. So now I'm building up the construction industry necessary to build it myself. Time to build a giant steel refinery complex... (Love this game!)

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Most of that cost is going to be in labour hours for the tunnelling, you really need TBMs for metro construction.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

All right, I'm finally financially stable on a post-research run, and it only took 5 years and all my starting money plus loans, and a lot of headache along the way. Overview of the republic, then a few questions.

The main city of my republic. Economy runs 50% on clothing exports from those southern factories - yes, pollution is still a problem, but we're working on it. I was running out of easily serviceable space at the time, besides the left-hand side that I abandoned and repurposed for more industry once I started having a population boom. Foolishly I didn't leave myself any space for the electronics complex on the left to have a rail hookup, so hopefully this doesn't wreck me with truck traffic (it will wreck me with truck traffic). But that's effectively just a make-work program because I can't get enough people working to fully utilize the population I have.

The other 50% of my economy comes from the oil fields just off screen to the right, which feed into Oil City. We'll get there.

Primary construction complex. I already planned out a second one to the east, but this one is servicing everything for now. Not much to say. There's also my coal mine in the background - I ended up opting for oil and solar power instead (more on that later) so this is just a cheap export until I get my iron mines open.

Welcome to Oil City. The solar array was grafted in to a) give a buffer between the city and the power plant/refinery that I definitely wouldn't build in, b) serve as backup power when the oil power plant inevitably loses staff since people can walk to the solar plant. Regular and hazardous waste dumps near the refinery since it produces enough of both to need them.

I marvel at the stupidity of gravel mining every time I have to build one of these mines. Everything about gravel in W&R sucks and I hate setting it up. There's nothing to really look at here but it's the one part I didn't catch on any screenshots even partially.

On to the questions:
  • There's basically no way to reliably keep a 500-slot refinery operating besides rail service for workers, is there? Buses are not going to keep up even as I expand this town, and I only have so far to expand it since my second main coal deposit is directly north of the town (where the road and railroad end, just past there between the two groups of trees is where the coal field starts). I have rail service planned out for my iron mines and will likely install some for the steel mill (and used it for the steel mill on my last successful run), it's just painful to do staffing by bus as is. Grafting a passenger line into this setup... will probably suck, though, so I guess I'll have to save it for a future planned city.
  • When do trains reserve their destination? My three-train loader you can see at the customs office keeps jamming up with multiple slots in the customs office open, because all the trains seem to reserve the same destination slot and will just wait for the train that's there to leave instead of taking the open slots instead.
  • Is there any way to get trains in a distribution office to auto-dump their leftover cargo when they return? My garbage disposal trains keep getting their cars clogged with "0.003t Biological Waste" and poo poo like that where the car is effectively empty, but it never degrades in vehicles so I can't use it until I manually clear it out. This is probably the biggest annoyance with the trash system right now, is the contamination of cars in ways that prevents them from getting used. I don't even have anything but mixed waste and hazardous waste going to the dumps - everything else is rare enough (maybe one truck a month) that I just have the truck take it directly to the border, so I'm not even sure how this contamination is happening. I already nearly had a trash overflow from not noticing it the first time.

Thanks in advance.

SkyeAuroline fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Oct 1, 2023

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

First answers!

1. Trams! Technically rail but I’m feeding a steel mill with one tram line. You’re mostly right though, rail is really what you want, generally speaking.

2. Are you totally sure this isn’t a signaling/intersection/train length issue? Not totally discounting what you’re seeing because that is a little weird, in the screenshot even, but I’ve reliably filled up the train slots in a border station. (At least on my last save, which was some time and a whole patch ago.)

3. Probably not, but is it a destination that can’t accept bio waste? I’ve noticed that waste can get a lot more finicky and easy to miss “oh, I’m not actually allowed to do <x> and it’s taken a lot of breaking my brain into shape to work through that. If there isn’t a problem like that, it might just be Bad Game Behavior.

Second, nice pics! One thing you can avoid, if you like, is building loops through stations. Trains auto flip if they need to. (But maybe you’re making an aesthetic choice to not flip!)

You’re overbuilding gravel in a way I don’t understand. Your buffer storage of crushed stone isn’t really solving anything, nor do you need that many mines for crushed stone. Without a modded gravel processing facility with a conveyor input, your system’s limit is always going to be how fast a truck can enter the building, dump their load, and get out. The only time this isn’t true is if you don’t have trucks queuing at the gravel processing, which you do. Since you can’t really meaningfully affect their speed in and out of the building, the best you can do is make sure they have the largest load possible (or said another way: use the biggest truck.) Make sure they’re told to wait until unloaded.

This might still cause blips with no input in the gravel processing, but so what? There’s absolutely no need to worry about instantaneous or brief drops in productivity.

It can be easy to exhaust gravel if you’re exporting it or it’s products. I like to export cement early, and that will require essentially a dedicated gravel processing facility if you want to keep a cement factory highly productive. This is also true for panels.

If you aren’t exporting either of those, just make a buffer storage of gravel for each and let them be frequently, even mostly idle. It’s pretty tough to build a big enough construction fleet to outpace a single gravel processor unless you have little to no buffer storages or are exporting panels, gravel, or cement.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
Unmodded gravel factories have a conveyor input now

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Benagain posted:

Good to know - I've been using this modded one with the turnaround so I apparently missed that. That's one step of the process I can remove in the future.

Anime Store Adventure posted:

First answers!

1. Trams! Technically rail but I’m feeding a steel mill with one tram line. You’re mostly right though, rail is really what you want, generally speaking.

2. Are you totally sure this isn’t a signaling/intersection/train length issue? Not totally discounting what you’re seeing because that is a little weird, in the screenshot even, but I’ve reliably filled up the train slots in a border station. (At least on my last save, which was some time and a whole patch ago.)

3. Probably not, but is it a destination that can’t accept bio waste? I’ve noticed that waste can get a lot more finicky and easy to miss “oh, I’m not actually allowed to do <x> and it’s taken a lot of breaking my brain into shape to work through that. If there isn’t a problem like that, it might just be Bad Game Behavior.

Second, nice pics! One thing you can avoid, if you like, is building loops through stations. Trains auto flip if they need to. (But maybe you’re making an aesthetic choice to not flip!)

You’re overbuilding gravel in a way I don’t understand. Your buffer storage of crushed stone isn’t really solving anything, nor do you need that many mines for crushed stone. Without a modded gravel processing facility with a conveyor input, your system’s limit is always going to be how fast a truck can enter the building, dump their load, and get out. The only time this isn’t true is if you don’t have trucks queuing at the gravel processing, which you do. Since you can’t really meaningfully affect their speed in and out of the building, the best you can do is make sure they have the largest load possible (or said another way: use the biggest truck.) Make sure they’re told to wait until unloaded.

This might still cause blips with no input in the gravel processing, but so what? There’s absolutely no need to worry about instantaneous or brief drops in productivity.

It can be easy to exhaust gravel if you’re exporting it or it’s products. I like to export cement early, and that will require essentially a dedicated gravel processing facility if you want to keep a cement factory highly productive. This is also true for panels.

If you aren’t exporting either of those, just make a buffer storage of gravel for each and let them be frequently, even mostly idle. It’s pretty tough to build a big enough construction fleet to outpace a single gravel processor unless you have little to no buffer storages or are exporting panels, gravel, or cement.

1. Okay, that's kind of what I figured.
2. Nope, because the same trains will use all 3 slots on the customs house in any given configuration. It's just that occasionally they seem like they only want to go into a specific slot and will only move when that specific slot is freed up. Signals are all fine, everything is straightforward.
3. It's the customs house, so it should be able to - I'm making sure that it's turned on next time. The weird thing is that there's no source of the odd waste types to even be loaded into the trains; I'm not doing waste separation yet, so all that's being produced is construction waste (handled directly by the demo offices, and not showing up in the trains), mixed waste, and hazardous waste. I don't even know where this stuff is coming from.

I do the loops for aesthetic preference, but not all of my stations have them. The unloading station for consumer goods in the main city is a dead end one, for example. As far as the gravel, I didn't want trucks trying to go all the way from the quarries up to the gravel processing plant and back (with all the downtime that 35 kph max speed trucks would imply there), so the crushed stone buffer is to prevent them from having to do the whole drive. It's wasteful and overbuilt but it's what solved this particular situation, and it was relatively cheap to do. We'll see once I have domestic cement production how things go there.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Benagain posted:

Oh hell yes

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

SkyeAuroline posted:

There's basically no way to reliably keep a 500-slot refinery operating besides rail service for workers, is there?

Have you heard the good news about our lord and saviour, cable cars?

Legit they're really good if you just want to connect a housing block to a big industrial building without actually having to put one near the other. Also quite quick to build comparatively? Much easier with helicopters but you can just drag a dirt road out to build the towers.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Benagain posted:

It's funny that I missed this because I haven't played an unmodded one for a long time. I didn't use conveyors for the longest time, but I at the very least had one with a one-way turnaround.

e: man, gently caress. This is my longest save... Maybe ever, or at least in a very long time. It's extremely tough, but I finally had to disable Realistic in as way that's more than a minor annoyance. I got a really bad death spiral because I had slightly too few boxcars available at a train distro that got suddenly used to feed a new warehouse complex (chemicals and maintenance parts, but far away) and didn't get around to the food warehouses again in time. The last hard save I have where I could fix it is way, way too long ago to really get it out of the hole, because its started a systemic failure.

I do really love that even this deep in the game a relatively weird, sort of minor thing can ripple through your system. Really tests robustness and I've learned even more and had new ideas about how to better ensure stability. (The solution is to build even more, lol.)

Whenever I start my next save, I'm going to pick such an easier map. I don't mind the vertical nature of this one, but I have exactly one Medium customs for both NATO and the Soviets, which means I have exactly one train platform for all of my poo poo.

Anime Store Adventure fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Oct 2, 2023

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

Whenever I start my next save, I'm going to pick such an easier map. I don't mind the vertical nature of this one, but I have exactly one Medium customs for both NATO and the Soviets, which means I have exactly one train platform for all of my poo poo.

It's so hard to find a good map. You want one with enough varied terrain to force interesting decisions, but enough space to plan out and build big cities. I love Passages, but like 75% of the map is unusable without heavy construction/terraforming.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Sorry all I heard was

Log082 posted:

heavy construction/terraforming.

:ussr:

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

I haven't messed with my passages save in months now but I need to load that up and take some screenshots of the absurdity I put together to access the highlands.

W&R: the only game where building on top of a plateau is a decade-long challenge.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Passages is still better than the one I'm on now.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2878454786

Now don't get me wrong, this is probably in my top 3 maps. I cannot stand most maps - people making maps either don't want to hand-touch anything, and/or don't understand that you should compress the scale dramatically. Yes, 1:1 scale Warsaw/Moscow/London/whatever whatever sounds neat, but in 1:1 scale in a metro area, you end up with basically "flat area with major river dividing." Then even when you get into 'handmade' maps, so many of them are *too* harsh and weird, feeling much gamier and more like a Tropico map - whether truly intentional or just a 'not great' mapper. And THEN, even if you find one you like that meets that, you have to see if it has an overbuilt + weird, lovely mods prebuilt area that's way too much to manage at the start and makes a bunch of poo poo for you. (Admittedly I've softened on a populated start a lot, but I still don't like maps with prebuilt industries and poo poo.) Along with this, you have to make sure they aren't absolutely loving you on resources, wherein you'd have to support 10 coal mines to approach sustaining a highly productive steel mill, little yet a nation's power and/or heating needs.

Anyway, I digress. Chryja is great in that it really does hit the right "scale" of features, for me. It makes areas feel distinct and separate and has plenty of areas for cool builds, some of which I've already shared (the canal, the coastal highway.) And I know I've shared a couple of these screenshots, but let me give a comprehensive look at just how much I'm using every inch of flat land - and mind you, many of these areas I end up with some guilt that terraforming is free and I'm disrespecting the natural topology because this is with pretty heavy terraforming almost anywhere I've built.

The only big flat area pictured that's free is an area I've absolutely tortured to be flat to build my massive capital city in, spanning the canal area.

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019

Along with this, you have to make sure they aren't absolutely loving you on resources, wherein you'd have to support 10 coal mines to approach sustaining a highly productive steel mill, little yet a nation's power and/or heating needs.

Any maps you can recommend that gently caress you on resources? :D I usually have an opposite problem that when I search for map, all have huge amount of resources everywhere, where every resource site can fully supply steel mill or oil refinery. I would like to have some reason to spread out more. I always ended up either really packed near the starting location, or given up because building road/rail across a map to get to that single spot of uranium takes 10 years

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

Keep it between the buoys

Log082 posted:

It's so hard to find a good map. You want one with enough varied terrain to force interesting decisions, but enough space to plan out and build big cities. I love Passages, but like 75% of the map is unusable without heavy construction/terraforming.

I've always liked Fjordland. There's several interesting starting points, lots of water and some good sized open areas as well as steep mountain passes and foothills where all the good deposits are.

idrismakesgames
Nov 4, 2022
Starting to get into this game, going through the tutorials and the only thing im struggling with (including searching through the wiki) is knowing exactly WHAT mechanisms are needed for each unique building project.

For example I know for a road you need a dumper, excavator/bulldozer, paver and roller. but what do I need for an apartment building.

Aside from one paragraph that disapears in a tutorial box, I dont know where to find this information reliably? Maybe i've missed it on the wiki or in game?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

idrismakesgames posted:

Starting to get into this game, going through the tutorials and the only thing im struggling with (including searching through the wiki) is knowing exactly WHAT mechanisms are needed for each unique building project.

For example I know for a road you need a dumper, excavator/bulldozer, paver and roller. but what do I need for an apartment building.

Aside from one paragraph that disapears in a tutorial box, I dont know where to find this information reliably? Maybe i've missed it on the wiki or in game?

The only things you technically need for constructing any of the buildings are the vehicle types to bring all of the building resources. Dumpers, open trucks, probably covered trucks, possibly concrete trucks. Busses for workers if the construction site isn't close enough to a source of workers already.

There is other equipment that is optional, but helpful. Earth moving equipment acts as an automatic number of workers for the groundworks phase, so they can complete that phase all by themselves if you don't have any workers there. Construction cranes work as multipliers once you're erecting the structure, so that your workers will be more effective.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

idrismakesgames posted:

Ok so it is determined primarily by what stuff is made of, you need to be able to transport the stuff to the site, so if a building uses concrete, you need a cement mixer, if it uses gravel, you need a dump truck etc. You will pick up on what transports what fairly soon I imagine because it's central to how everything in the game works, but you can also check what the vehicles in a category can hold when you buy them, and match that with what the building you want to build is made of.

After that, literally everything can be done with human labour, this goes for roads too. You can just shovel people into the building site and the building will get built. But mechanisms speed it up by multiplying the speed of the work, and some mechanisms can work on their own, too. Excavators can do any excavation steps autonomously, and almost everything will have an excavation step. Gravel roads actually can be built only with dumpers and excavators which is helpful to know.

After excavation the other main step is assembling the frame of the building, which usually benefits from a crane, it won't work on its own but it will make any workers on site work much faster so it's advisable to get a couple.

There are also some steps which can't be assisted on some buildings, stuff like fitting out the interiors etc, that just takes as long as it takes.

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

Keep it between the buoys
And the distinction between road and tower cranes is that road cranes drive themselves to the site but work slower, and tower cranes work faster but need a big enough flatbed truck in the same CO to deliver them.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Just following up: turns out I had a screenshot of the "jammed" train loader on hand after all. The bottom train and farthest right train are on a direct line to/from the customs office and have used all three slots while I've been watching; the others are DO trains, and the DO dispatches to all three slots fine. Just every 5-10 minutes I'll get a situation like this where a customs office slot is open, the trains in the customs office aren't moving and are busy loading/unloading, and the remaining trains won't move even if forced. Train lengths are all short enough to fit the CO without tripping any signals, and they work properly most of the time.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

SkyeAuroline posted:

Just following up: turns out I had a screenshot of the "jammed" train loader on hand after all. The bottom train and farthest right train are on a direct line to/from the customs office and have used all three slots while I've been watching; the others are DO trains, and the DO dispatches to all three slots fine. Just every 5-10 minutes I'll get a situation like this where a customs office slot is open, the trains in the customs office aren't moving and are busy loading/unloading, and the remaining trains won't move even if forced. Train lengths are all short enough to fit the CO without tripping any signals, and they work properly most of the time.

Huh, I guess maybe just like you said - they're preselecting a platform at some point early on in the route. It's very strange, though! I admit I hadn't been watching my old customs house closely, but I don't recall ever observing that behavior, but I think I had only DO trains using the border.

commando in tophat posted:

Any maps you can recommend that gently caress you on resources? :D I usually have an opposite problem that when I search for map, all have huge amount of resources everywhere, where every resource site can fully supply steel mill or oil refinery. I would like to have some reason to spread out more. I always ended up either really packed near the starting location, or given up because building road/rail across a map to get to that single spot of uranium takes 10 years

I don't have too many that are *really* punishing, on account of I don't like ones where you're hunting for maybe 50% purity and have to spread a ton of mines out all over, but here's a few:
https://steamcommunity.com/workshop/filedetails/?id=2410556036
This guy makes decent maps with "less resource" versions that feel like they hit a good "difficult, not bullshit" tier.

https://steamcommunity.com/workshop/filedetails/?id=2780435332
Same case here, New Horizon's 2.0 and his other ones listed as less resources are kind of in the same boat.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2616441553
This isn't necessarily 'low' resources, but they're all in specific places and don't have a ton of spread out deposits.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2512383145
This map tries (and succeeds, mostly) in hiding good resource deposits in difficult to reach places.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

SkyeAuroline posted:

Very strange. Make a backup and submit that as a bug, but try deleting one of the signals adjacent to the train so that they're not blocked by it. See if they start moving.

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019

I don't have too many that are *really* punishing, on account of I don't like ones where you're hunting for maybe 50% purity and have to spread a ton of mines out all over, but here's a few:
https://steamcommunity.com/workshop/filedetails/?id=2410556036
This guy makes decent maps with "less resource" versions that feel like they hit a good "difficult, not bullshit" tier.

https://steamcommunity.com/workshop/filedetails/?id=2780435332
Same case here, New Horizon's 2.0 and his other ones listed as less resources are kind of in the same boat.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2616441553
This isn't necessarily 'low' resources, but they're all in specific places and don't have a ton of spread out deposits.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2512383145
This map tries (and succeeds, mostly) in hiding good resource deposits in difficult to reach places.

Thanks, I'll try some of those. I've actually played on taiga and new horizons and these were fairly to my liking. Maybe I should just embrace the gameplay when money is no issue and it's just all about trying to unfuck my horrible infrastructure where everything is tightly packed together :classiclol:

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Thanks, I'll try some of those. I've actually played on taiga and new horizons and these were fairly to my liking. Maybe I should just embrace the gameplay when money is no issue and it's just all about trying to unfuck my horrible infrastructure where everything is tightly packed together :classiclol:

Ain't that a mood. Currently trying to get that electronics factory on the far left connected to my rail network in a manner that lets it reach the customs house still. Got it almost perfect... and then an autobuild fuckup (it somehow selected the entire map when I barely dragged and spent all my money in the span of a few frames) forced me to reload and lose the plan. For now I'm just using trucks. Smart of me to build a ring railroad around the city so I could graft in junctions where needed - dumb of me to build the electronics factory on the one side with no rail access. Lessons for the future I guess.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

The Chrjya one I linked prior is also good where there are a lot of resources, but they're hugely annoying to access being mostly in the mountains or (oil) in the water.

idrismakesgames
Nov 4, 2022

OwlFancier posted:

Ok so it is determined primarily by what stuff is made of, you need to be able to transport the stuff to the site, so if a building uses concrete, you need a cement mixer, if it uses gravel, you need a dump truck etc. You will pick up on what transports what fairly soon I imagine because it's central to how everything in the game works, but you can also check what the vehicles in a category can hold when you buy them, and match that with what the building you want to build is made of.

After that, literally everything can be done with human labour, this goes for roads too. You can just shovel people into the building site and the building will get built. But mechanisms speed it up by multiplying the speed of the work, and some mechanisms can work on their own, too. Excavators can do any excavation steps autonomously, and almost everything will have an excavation step. Gravel roads actually can be built only with dumpers and excavators which is helpful to know.

After excavation the other main step is assembling the frame of the building, which usually benefits from a crane, it won't work on its own but it will make any workers on site work much faster so it's advisable to get a couple.

There are also some steps which can't be assisted on some buildings, stuff like fitting out the interiors etc, that just takes as long as it takes.

Thanks so much! This all makes sense. Will dive into a new game in the next day or so. Super excited, the whole transport tycoon + complex city builder feels made just for me.

Any recommendation for first game starting condition baring in mind I have done all tutorials and watched a good few YouTubere play it.

idrismakesgames fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Oct 2, 2023

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Polikarpov posted:

And the distinction between road and tower cranes is that road cranes drive themselves to the site but work slower, and tower cranes work faster but need a big enough flatbed truck in the same CO to deliver them.

This game is so loving good.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

idrismakesgames posted:

Any recommendation for first game starting condition baring in mind I have done all tutorials and watched a good few YouTubere play it.

The real meat of the game is the realistic mode, but you can technically play realistic without turning it on, it just disables all the other options. I would probably say play without realistic for the first go which will let you pay money to teleport goods in to supply buildings without having to sort out the logistics of getting them there with trucks and roads, and it will also let you pay to finish construction.

Once you are comfortable with the systems you can work towards turning the auto supply off and see how supplying a building works with distribution offices and direct lines.

I would set citizen reactions to low so they don't freak out about you not having all the services, and maybe turn off some of the citizen requirements if you're struggling to manage them all. You can generally do this mid playthrough so don't worry too much. Also give yourself as much money as you can to start cos you kinda need it to set up a functioning economy now.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

idrismakesgames posted:

Thanks so much! This all makes sense. Will dive into a new game in the next day or so. Super excited, the whole transport tycoon + complex city builder feels made just for me.

Play with energy on, but seasons/temperature off, imo. Seasons/Temp isn't hard once you understand the game fundamentals, but its something that will kill you pretty quickly and does tend to require enough of a spin-up that you can really bone yourself if you don't have an early enough save to go back to. You can also skip water/sewer - They're not difficult, but its just "more." I wouldn't start with Maintenance right now. For vehicles and buildings both, its pretty rough. Vehicles especially - I am still getting bit by not having adequately spread out facilities to maintain my vehicles. Garbage is definitely tough, too, but might be one of the things you want to turn on sooner than later to get a feel for.

Energy on for buildings and vehicles is a tiny bit punishing, but you'll easily understand "I need gas stations" and you should get in the habit quickly of learning to wire stuff up for electricity.

To what owl fancier said, try to understand some basic systems and work towards turning off auto supply. Understand direct lines and distribution offices. Try some things and see what works and what doesn't. Once you understand how to keep industries supplied and things delivered, you can start to slowly enable more systems. Personally, I'm a "oops I hosed up but I learned something. Time to restart" even for relatively minor things, and generally this game works well for that until you get into realistic saves with early start mods and craziness where you might spend absolutely tons of time just to spin up a new map. For you, though, and on a 'medium' difficulty, it doesn't hurt to experiment, try and maintain your systems, and then learn whether they work well or not.

Just to use an example of a learning process from this game: I used to like to put diesel refueling for my trains on little sidings in sort of less busy areas between the spurs that went to industries or warehouses and such. This was fine and it kept refueling trains off of the transit lines. I liked this - it didn't use a lot of space and kept things moving. Then I noticed that trains would sometimes realize that their closest refueling station wasn't actually in their intended direction of travel. Since trains can flip in stations, they'd usually now get stuck if they turned the wrong way. Stinks! I switched then to building a spur that could support a crossover interchange and the full length of a train flipping in the fuel station. This was okay, but used an absolute ton of land and required extra railroad building. (This was also before signals had "path" signal logic - I won't go into detail, but it made designs for good interchanges Bigger.) Finally I've learned to just stick my fuel stations just at the exit/entrance of spurs to stations. If a train has just loaded or unloaded and is low fuel, it can get it before it heads onto the transit tracks and potentially blocks things up. Sure, this can block up the spurs, but its not a big deal generally, and doesn't take long. It uses almost no extra land space, and fits conveniently in the design of the spur anyway.

The takeaway of the story isn't "just build your train refueling like this" but should instead be how you kind of approach problems in the game. Technically, I can have a successful rail system using any of those methods, but they come with pro's and con's. Ultimately though I sort of designed my own problem as well as the solution and improved the whole system step by step. If, for example, I wasn't making a transit line + spur network and instead had many much more smaller, bespoke 'shuttle' tracks, I might want to approach this differently. Maybe I electrify to sidestep this entirely, but now I need to think about the power usage of the network.

There's definitely going to be some Right and Wrong things to do - you can't hope to supply a steel mill's inputs with trucks, for example, and reading guides/watching youtubes can help you get the broad strokes certainly - but the ultimate power of the game is you design your own prison with all the decisions and assumptions you make and then have to try and live with or redesign your way out of the pitfalls.

TL;DR: It's one of the few games that feels like it hits the Systems Thinking part of my brain as opposed to other factory/transport games that feel more puzzle-solvey.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

quote:

you can't hope to supply a steel mill's inputs with trucks, for example

It's true! That's why you set up a number of aggregate storages with truck unloading stations that then feed into the steel mill.

Jokes aside, you'll likely want to use trains for passengers to the steel mill at the very least.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
I don't like playing with seasons, because the glare from the snow makes it very difficult to plan.

idrismakesgames
Nov 4, 2022

TL;DR: It's one of the few games that feels like it hits the Systems Thinking part of my brain as opposed to other factory/transport games that feel more puzzle-solvey.

Thanks to both you and Owl Fancier for the advice. Both post honestly just make me more excited to play.

Especially this last sentiment, it’s exactly what I’m looking for. I’m happy to fail miserably and learn, as long as that process is fun enough which it sounds lien it is.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Philippe posted:

I don't like playing with seasons, because the glare from the snow makes it very difficult to plan.

It would be nice if you could turn the glare down or off. Maybe if you emit enough soot to make the snow dirty?

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

The newest dev diary mentions they’re brightening nights, I wonder if they might not take a look at the snow also. Because I agree, the snow makes planning suck bad.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

I've discovered both the glory and the horror of metro systems. The glory: my refinery can suddenly support 400 people consistently where I was struggling to get more than 150 originally, and I think I can get that up to the full 500. The horror is twofold: only USD trains mean I've already run out of ability to fund more train sets, and holy hell are metro tunnels expensive. Half of it is surface running, there's only two stations and an end station, and it was still well over a million ruble project (autobuilt rail because I hate rail construction mechanics - I'm setting up an RCO to switch over anyway).

But hey, trains!

Palcontent
Mar 23, 2010

SkyeAuroline posted:

Can't make out the signal types super well but assuming these are chain signals, changing them to regular block signals should do the trick.

What I'm guessing is happening is that trains do initially path for a particular station slot when they set out, and only check for alternatives if they're otherwise going to be stopped at the entrance to a junction (no reason to recalculate if there are no immediate alternatives). In your screenshot this would occur when an incoming train approached the blue chain signal. That's not happening because chain signals can't propagate the blue state. As far as those stopped trains are concerned their output block signal is red and they have no immediate alternatives, so they won't pass the chain signal (even though it's green because the next chain signal is 'not-red'). You sometimes see all three customs slots full when three trains just happened to reserve the right slots.

Unlike in factorio, as far as I can think of there's no situation in w&r where you should put a chain signal in front of another chain signal.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Palcontent posted:

Can't make out the signal types super well but assuming these are chain signals, changing them to regular block signals should do the trick.

What I'm guessing is happening is that trains do initially path for a particular station slot when they set out, and only check for alternatives if they're otherwise going to be stopped at the entrance to a junction (no reason to recalculate if there are no immediate alternatives). In your screenshot this would occur when an incoming train approached the blue chain signal. That's not happening because chain signals can't propagate the blue state. As far as those stopped trains are concerned their output block signal is red and they have no immediate alternatives, so they won't pass the chain signal (even though it's green because the next chain signal is 'not-red'). You sometimes see all three customs slots full when three trains just happened to reserve the right slots.

Unlike in factorio, as far as I can think of there's no situation in w&r where you should put a chain signal in front of another chain signal.

Changing them to block signals didn't fix it (actually made it worse), but removing the chain signal where all three join has partially relieved the problem. Not completely, but enough that I don't have trains backed up 6 blocks from the loader any more.

Meanwhile my economy imploded while I was trying to fix that, and I need to figure out how to stabilize enough to pay my loans back...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palcontent
Mar 23, 2010

SkyeAuroline posted:

Changing them to block signals didn't fix it (actually made it worse)

Wait, so one of them would proceed to the blue chain signal and then stop there? That actually sounds like a bug if so. Because the problem you had initially is a more complex version of this situation:

Thinking about this finally made me understand something that had annoyed me in the past. Sometimes my trains heading into the customs house would barrel right through the final set of switches into the station, and sometimes they would come to a complete stop at the chain signal before proceeding. Which could be a real drag when it's a 500m oil train. It must be that they blow through when their initial target is open, and come to a stop when it's occupied. Still annoying, but not something I can change.