Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
If I could give an example of what the last few days in this thread have been.

Poster A takes a huge poo poo in the street.

Poster B decides that instead of just walking past it, they'll call the council to come clean it up.

Poster C decides to roll around in it and spread the poo poo even wider.

Poster A comes back and shits in the street again.

Repeat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Definitely take your lead from one of the two cunts loving the thread up though, mods, they’re definitely the ones who should be listened to.

Rugz
Apr 15, 2014

PLS SEE AVATAR. P.S. IM A BELL END LOL

josh04 posted:

My understanding is that general site rules apply but it's trusted that local thread IKs will apply them more appropriately than out-region mods who usually deal with US-specific stuff.

So then nothing needs doing. The local IK is trusted to maintain the appropriate culture of the thread, therefore the current state is the intended state.

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

SixFigureSandwich posted:

Related, how would Sunak actually cancel HS2? Approval for the stretch to Manchester for example has already passed through Parliament as a Hybrid Bill, as I understand it. Would he just direct the Treasury not to give them the money for it?

Still legally required to complete the line with no funding, it's built as OO guage :britain:

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Solefald
Jun 9, 2010

sleepy~capy

josh04 posted:

My understanding is that general site rules apply but it's trusted that local thread IKs will apply them more appropriately than out-region mods who usually deal with US-specific stuff. This arrangement pre-dates the new D&D rules which I think everyone agrees would basically destroy the communities in these threads.

e: for clarity i am not a d&d mod or d&d-mod-adjacent

Thanks for clarifying! I wasn't aware there were special rules in place. It seems kinda dumb so I'll just swerve this thread from now on. :3:

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

frankenbeans posted:

I very rarely post in this thread apart from recent umbrella thanks. I was always worried that I'd post something dumb and people will think I'm a oval office.

So with that in mind.. gently caress the tories, Keith is a useless oval office, Birmingham was fine when I was there the other night. London smelt like poo last time I was there. Beef Monster munch.

I think that's covered all the bases. Like, subscribe, and click the little bell, etc.

And RIP Camrath, his fudge and posting were both top-tier.
more posts from lurkers like this and fewer from those other cunts.

Just make pretty much any thread regular IK, I nominate OwlFancier

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

OwlFancier would make for a good IK probably, yeah.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 11:31 on Oct 3, 2023

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Monica Bellucci posted:

So, it works on a hodgepodge of understood rules, outdated rulings and decorum that is not in fact innate.

As above, so below.

Sounds exactly like the British legal system tbh.
No written constitution, some actual laws, lots of case law made up on the hoof!

I think this thread is fine as it is - ok so it sometimes goes off into multi-page derails (eg the 10 page dogs derail a couple of weeks back) but just means I go and kick my heels on reddit or Melon Husk's site til it dies down.

Desiderata
May 25, 2005
Go placidly amid the noise and haste...
It's nice to know that the conjured narrative event "Ed Milliband couldn't even eat a bacon sandwich properly" and the insistence "actually the Labour left are the ones who are antisemitic" continue to coexist peacefully in the pages of UK's media in 2023.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I have been reading UKMT for years and years (Thanks to the Jam Man) and it exists in D&D but from before the D&D rule change up.

Yes this thread can be easily trolled now and then, but it exists with different tone than the C-spam one and the GBS one. Things here can be more serious and more angry, whereas C-spam is more jokey and more twitter links, and the GBS one is a chat thread. The thread specific IK, gauvanaut, was given because he creates the thread each time and seems the best person to be watching.

I have assisted in kicking people out of here in the past though, for doom posting and being pissflaps. Bobby Thompson was the most recent one who got told to leave and both Rugs and Crystal Thenis are pretty reminiscent of them, just not the hilarity of wanting to start a fight in a pub car park. We can do that again if needs be but I actually thought the discussion and debate of their bad posts (despite being heated) was pretty good.

I certainly will not look to them for ideas about the place considering it has been this way for as long as I can recall and there are tons of people and posters who like reading and contributing. I have no issue being Gauvanauts backup here.

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022
Has any iteration of this thread been called the car park of ideas?

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

frankenbeans posted:

And RIP Camrath, his fudge and posting were both top-tier.

Wait, what? Oh for gently caress's sake, time to go digging through a dozen pages of petty nonsense.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Monica Bellucci posted:

I don't think so but it's not too late for this one to be.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Nilbop posted:

Wait, what? Oh for gently caress's sake, time to go digging through a dozen pages of petty nonsense.

p35 - post by Klepsie

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

I also nominate OwlFancier for IK, under the campaign slogan “halfway there already”.

(Seriously though I think OwlFancier should do it, he consistently engages in solid good faith with these cretins and would be a fine judge of when “enough is enough”)

Edit for clarity: when I say “these cretins” I am gesturing to indicate myself and all other posters

Tesla was right
Apr 3, 2009

Whats with all the robot sex avatars?

Klepsie posted:

His funeral is this Saturday, 7 October.

His wife has asked, quote, "Could you ask the goons if they'd do some more bluescreen H fudge meme photos please?"

My friend took some photos of him when they met him at Conclave of Chaos and has been holding onto them in case of a memorial. I think they include him getting into sword fights. Do you want me to post them here?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Monica Bellucci posted:

Lol

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
I love Owly but I think he’d not be a great IK - like NJAN but the opposite way. Make me an IK and I’ll immediately stop posting or ever reading the thread as I flee from responsibility like a peasant being attacked by a swarm of grunts in WC3. Or a peon the other way round. Which reminds me of one of my favourite things to say out loud to my mate when he tries to get my attention.

SOMETHING NEED DOING?

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
WORK, WORK

DreddyMatt
Nov 25, 2002
MY LACK OF KNOWLEDGE OF CURRENT EVENTS IS EXCEEDED ONLY BY MY UNQUENCHABLE THIRST FOR PISS. FUK U AMERIKKKA!!

Desiderata posted:

It's nice to know that the conjured narrative event "Ed Milliband couldn't even eat a bacon sandwich properly" and the insistence "actually the Labour left are the ones who are antisemitic" continue to coexist peacefully in the pages of UK's media in 2023.

I get what you mean, but is "Ed Milliband can't even eat a bacon sandwich without looking weird" anti-Semitic?

Like, I know he has Jewish parents, but the fact that he's eating bacon butties at all suggest that he's not practicing/keeping kosher. Like, it feels more like 'man looks weird while eating' in general

I don't remember what the headlines to the news stories were, so maybe there was a lot of hay being made out of the sandwich filling of choice.

Or maybe I've got it all wrong, and he's actually very devout, but had some dip poo poo adviser whispering in his ear that he needs a bacon sarnie to get himself over with the common man, and he had to choke it down holding back tears, in the hope that It would get him elected. But that doesn't seem as likely

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

DreddyMatt posted:

I get what you mean, but is "Ed Milliband can't even eat a bacon sandwich without looking weird" anti-Semitic?

Like, I know he has Jewish parents, but the fact that he's eating bacon butties at all suggest that he's not practicing/keeping kosher. Like, it feels more like 'man looks weird while eating' in general

I don't remember what the headlines to the news stories were, so maybe there was a lot of hay being made out of the sandwich filling of choice.

Or maybe I've got it all wrong, and he's actually very devout, but had some dip poo poo adviser whispering in his ear that he needs a bacon sarnie to get himself over with the common man, and he had to choke it down holding back tears, in the hope that I'd get him elected. But that doesn't seem as likely
Racists very rarely pick their targets based on whether they're practicing their religion or not.

Anyway give me the grey star, I'll use it exclusively to chain probe Rugz and Crystal until you take it or them away. That is a promise.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Just caught up with all the excre excitement.

I see Crystal Thenis flounced already. Congrats, also threadbanned.

Rugz, post better.

CVG posted:

I have no issue being Gauvanauts backup here.
I like this idea. :)

DreddyMatt posted:

Like, it feels more like 'man looks weird while eating' in general
I'd be a lot more charitable towards whatever they were going for if it wasn't straight off of the back of months of "he's a North London geek who's bad at sports and his dad is a rootless cosmopolitan Marxist intellectual who hates nations and he has two kitchens" dogwhistling. Like how it's near impossible to eat a slice of watermelon without looking weird but I'm sure you can imagine how the papers could turn that lovely.

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011

Is this what I think it is

DreddyMatt
Nov 25, 2002
MY LACK OF KNOWLEDGE OF CURRENT EVENTS IS EXCEEDED ONLY BY MY UNQUENCHABLE THIRST FOR PISS. FUK U AMERIKKKA!!

Guavanaut posted:

I'd be a lot more charitable towards whatever they were going for if it wasn't straight off of the back of months of "he's a North London geek who's bad at sports and his dad is a rootless cosmopolitan Marxist intellectual who hates nations and he has two kitchens" dogwhistling. Like how it's near impossible to eat a slice of watermelon without looking weird but I'm sure you can imagine how the papers could turn that lovely.

Aye, that's valid. I remember the mail publishing his dad's war diaries with front pages of "this man hates Britain"
And I guess the sun et al were happier to use anti Semitism before it became a tool to attack the left with

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Real Cool Catfish posted:

Absolutely.

Desiderata
May 25, 2005
Go placidly amid the noise and haste...

DreddyMatt posted:

Or maybe I've got it all wrong, and he's actually very devout, but had some dip poo poo adviser whispering in his ear that he needs a bacon sarnie to get himself over with the common man, and he had to choke it down holding back tears, in the hope that It would get him elected. But that doesn't seem as likely

I'd file it under, ish, somewhat at the time, and strangely more solidly the further we are away from the event. I mean take the following two points into consideration : 1) if you take enough photographs of anyone eating, you will get a photo of them looking awful, hell even just pausing a video of someone talking at any point can generate some hilarious expressions : Thus the initial event was completely manufactured by the press, there were thousands of photos to choose from, they picked that one, it became a thing for no obvious reason, it could and can be done for any public figure at any time, but it was done to Ed, here in this one instance. 2) after all these years of decay in 2023, it is still a bacon sandwich in the cultural memory, and it is still a key political memory of Ed Milliband. What was that photoshoot about or where the event even took place, are gone, none of the other details of the story are retained... but it is still not just a sandwich, or some food, but forever bacon, british bacon, choking in his throat. Why is this the one abiding memory of one of the few jewish political leaders to ever rise to the top of a major party in the UK. Strange isn't it, that it was captured this way, repeated endlessly, despite being one of the most banal and every day occurrences.

It all probably wouldn't be worth commenting on, and in the same general background UK media vileness space as "outspoken female political figure judged for her appearance", but the succeeding years the very same media having it both ways has put it in stark relief, and this earlier stuff is still able to simultaneously serve its original purpose and avoid being commented on. It's also worth remembering it was concurrent with explicit "his dad hated Britain", and a vaguer coded "why does he have two kitchens in his house".... but this one remained, vague and distant enough to be deniable, but pointed enough to be recalled.

It was never about the donkey jacket (Check it out in The Peoples History Museum Manchester), it was always about signalling that Micheal Foot was not proper, not the right sort. Much as this was always; Ed was not normal, you know, not one of us - whether for his origins or politics, that was the signal. A signal for "not proper, not the right sort" can always be found, and as we saw last time, the press will regularly rotate through options to find one that sticks... I'd maintain the british press hate the left for their politics, and seek a reason to ridicule that makes that less obvious, both coded antisemitism and vocal anti-antisemitism can in turn serve this purpose, the "reasons" given are not actually the driving factor, but a useful tool. What I find interesting here is the one that stuck, stuck so hard it still gets referenced even to this day in political discourse, a story with only its core greasy trief component remaining.

Desiderata fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Oct 3, 2023

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Real Cool Catfish posted:

It is. USA is also suspect because of this quote from Reagan: "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Dabir posted:

Racists very rarely pick their targets based on whether they're practicing their religion or not.

Anyway give me the grey star, I'll use it exclusively to chain probe Rugz and Crystal until you take it or them away. That is a promise.

This is a platform I endorse.

DreddyMatt posted:

See, the thing is I'd give them the benefit of the doubt but something about the last 5 or 6 years years of hearing people being called antisemitic for literally anything so long as their politics are left of Michael Hesteltine means I'm not particularly inclined to do so.

Everyone looks weird while eating if you take a load of photos & pick the weirdest one. When you add it to all the *cosmopolitan elite* chat, it sure sounds like wink nudge dog whistles.

For all the talk that Ralph Miliband hated this country or what have you, but after escaping Belgium to arrive here in 1940 he signed up for the Royal Navy's Section Belge, and was involved in support of both Operations Overlord & Dragoon.

rocket_Magnet
Apr 5, 2005

:unsmith:

Miftan posted:

Absolutely.

I know the Russian, & English stories but Turkmenistan & Mexico?

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

rocket_Magnet posted:

I know the Russian, & English stories but Turkmenistan & Mexico?

The current Chairman of the Turkmen Council, and former President, apparently loving loves horses.

And that's just one word switch away from loving loving horses, so, y'know

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

In 2015 I also remember "two kitchens miliband" and as someone who was told that it was common in order to not mix meat and milk I wondered what the problem was. The press made it out like HE'S RICH!!! but back then I saw a lot of Jewish Brits being rather unhappy with the framing and in a modern context knowing how anti-Semitic the media is when jam hitler isn't in charge it seems pretty dogwhistley.

DreddyMatt
Nov 25, 2002

Desiderata posted:

. Why is this the one abiding memory of one of the few jewish political leaders to ever rise to the top of a major party in the UK. Strange isn't it, that it was captured this way, repeated endlessly, despite being one of the most banal and every day occurrences.

but this one remained, vague and distant enough to deniable, but pointed enough to be recalled.

What I find interesting here is the one that stuck, stuck so hard it still gets referenced even to this day in political discourse, a story with only it's core greasy trief component remaining.

Good response in all, but these bits especially are great points, and incredibly well written

Desiderata posted:

but it is still not just a sandwich, or some food, but forever bacon, british bacon, choking in his throat.

This is an M&S advert, I'm certain of it

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Also that head of state map made me worried that Lula had hosed a chicken but no it was Bolsonaro. Nazis are weird sex freaks and not in the good way.

Explains why he kept getting the poo poo pecked out of him by rhea birds tho, loving self-defence.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Jakabite posted:

I love Owly but I think he’d not be a great IK - like NJAN but the opposite way. Make me an IK and I’ll immediately stop posting or ever reading the thread as I flee from responsibility like a peasant being attacked by a swarm of grunts in WC3. Or a peon the other way round. Which reminds me of one of my favourite things to say out loud to my mate when he tries to get my attention.

SOMETHING NEED DOING?

Who was the glorious IK we had for few months that started :commissar: everyone for wrongthink.

I think they got too power mad and ascended from this plane of existence.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Thank god we're really going after the pressing issues of the day.

https://twitter.com/GillianKeegan/status/1708847479469359512

JoylessJester
Sep 13, 2012

Z the IVth posted:

Who was the glorious IK we had for few months that started :commissar: everyone for wrongthink.

I think they got too power mad and ascended from this plane of existence.

Wasn't it the the same person who re-appeared a few years later (ironically as an aggro Labour right-winger) .

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Thank god we're really going after the pressing issues of the day.

https://twitter.com/GillianKeegan/status/1708847479469359512

It's a good start, but replace schools with society.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
They should also ban computers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DreddyMatt
Nov 25, 2002
Mobile phones have been banned in schools since they became readily available back in the 90s. What the gently caress is this supposed to achieve? Now you get a criminal record for your crazy frog ringtone disrupting maths?