Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

mdemone posted:

I agree and I was married for eight years to one, a very high quality one at that.

Many people are saying!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/RKRigney/status/1708887426469359641

https://twitter.com/RKRigney/status/1708897780679291318

I understand everything has RGB bs now but you can turn that off unless you're trying to piss off the judge

A gamer lawyer working for a real estate huckster that notoriously never delivers on anything or pays anyone? $20 says she's a Star Citizen!

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

lol imagine your future hanging on the words of donald trump junior

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Over/under on Jr. bringing up George Soros in his testimony?

gregday
May 23, 2003

Don Jr. please do a mountain of cocaine and get on the stand.

BDawg
May 19, 2004

In Full Stereo Symphony
I hope Trump whines about not getting to defend himself against the bench decision like Alex Jones did with the default judgment.

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

BigglesSWE posted:

Over/under on Jr. bringing up George Soros in his testimony?

65%

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
So, I'm no real estate mogul here but I have property and recently took out a mortgage loan on the one house I own.

In what world do I just get to write down my own inflated valuation and the bank says "ok"? Same with property taxes? I don't get to just tell the state government that my house is only worth $60,000 so here's a hundred bucks. I've had appraisers and inspectors and adjusters and all kinds of poo poo up my rear end and

I only own ONE home. Borrowing loving 50 grand on it took months of paperwork, documentation, inspections and bureaucratic itemizing proving the merits of my application.

Trump just fills his poo poo in with crayons and the banks and tax collectors just rubber stamp this nonsense and take him at his word?

Or is there more to it?

EDIT

And why the gently caress does Trump want a jury trial? I thought he was bitching that he couldn't get a fair trial in NYC, DC, Fulton County or anywhere except West Memphis, Arkansas.

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Oct 3, 2023

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

BiggerBoat posted:

And why the gently caress does Trump want a jury trial? I thought he was bitching that he couldn't get a fair trial in NYC, DC, Fulton County or anywhere except West Memphis, Arkansas.

It's still 12 chances to get a diehard chud in who votes not guilty* regardless of the evidence and causes a mistrial

*I know it's a civil suit and so does he and so does the juror. He still votes "not guilty"

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

BiggerBoat posted:

So, I'm no real estate mogul here but I have property and recently took out a mortgage loan on the one house I own.

In what world do I just get to write down my own inflated valuation and the bank says "ok"? Same with property taxes? I don't get to just tell the state government that my house is only worth $60,000 so here's a hundred bucks. I've had appraisers and inspectors and adjusters and all kinds of poo poo up my rear end and

I only own ONE home. Borrowing loving 50 grand on it took months of paperwork, documentation, inspections and bureaucratic itemizing proving the merits of my application.

Trump just fills his poo poo in with crayons and the banks and tax collectors just rubber stamp this nonsense and take him at his word?

Or is there more to it?

EDIT

Everybody involved at every step of the way is taking their cut and becoming wildly rich, and then is introduced to "our friends" who continue involving them in shittier, riskier grifts. getting out means having all your wealth and reputation taken away.

Nobody stands to make an extra dollar on your mortgage so maybe try flying your mortgage branch manager to your private Pacific Island first, see how much of a discount that gets you

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

BiggerBoat posted:

Or is there more to it?

EDIT

Sir, this is America. The Rich and Powerful do not operate under the same circumstances as lowly peons. Getting a loan for $50k means that you're a little guy and should be bullied and mistreated. Getting a loan for $50 million means that you're a big shot and should be treated as a valued customer.

I mean, how do you even expect an organization to launder any money or successfully juke the IRS on a measly pocket change loan? How are you wetting any beaks with that chump change?

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Your honor, my mafia client's cocaine and heroin empire, police bribery and extortion rings greatly benefited the local economy in my neighborhood and filled the banks coffers with millions of dollars. Some of this money was used to throw an annual parade in Little Italy where kids got to see fireworks. Hard working police officers could finally buy nice homes and expensive cars. Small businesses in our community no longer had to worry about arson and vandalism destroying their shops. We saved the prosecutor's office hundreds of thousands of dollars in expensive legal fees by murdering witnesses that not only avoided expensive trials but also, when a case did go to trial, by compensating hard working jurors for their service who had to miss work.

We eliminated from the streets hundreds of drug dealers.

We fail to see how this is somehow a crime, your honor.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

BiggerBoat posted:

Your honor, my mafia client's cocaine and heroin empire, police bribery and extortion rings greatly benefited the local economy in my neighborhood and filled the banks coffers with millions of dollars. Some of this money was used to throw an annual parade in Little Italy where kids got to see fireworks. Hard working police officers could finally buy nice homes and expensive cars. Small businesses in our community no longer had to worry about arson and vandalism destroying their shops. We saved the prosecutor's office hundreds of thousands of dollars in expensive legal fees by murdering witnesses that not only avoided expensive trials but also, when a case did go to trial, by compensating hard working jurors for their service who had to miss work.

Yes, all the way up to the very last point. They know it's a normal-people crime to do these things, because normal people would just gently caress it up. The laws don't apply to the elite genius of Trump; he should be trusted to safely and honorably commit these crimes, to the benefit of everybody.

The DA going after the genius elite Trump with normal-people laws is bullshit and will destroy America by taking away all that profit. Probably to give it to heroin users for free! The DA is so greedy and corrupt, they are stealing Trump's cash when there are no victims of his crimes to repay. Right into their pockets. Sad!

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
To be slightly fair to Trump, the reason his properties weren't handled like a typical mortgage is that they are actually really hard to value. That is also part of the reason he was able to fudge so many of the numbers. He just got greedy/desperate and fudged things that are easily disprovable to an absurd degree (like Mar-a-Lago somehow being 3x larger on the inside than the outside).

But, for a normal house, you can get a general idea of the value by the size of land, the going rate for other plots of land in the area, and the expense of the house. For Trump's properties, you have to try and guess estimated value from revenue, the "value" of the Trump brand (which Trump claims is $3 billion), and the non-tangible costs of the building and residency restrictions on the properties because of their designation as "private clubs."

Even if everyone was operating in a completely honest fashion, it would still be pretty difficult to get an objective and measurable value of Trump's name or what MAL's estimated revenue will be if Trump doesn't own it or go there anymore, etc.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

azflyboy posted:

Am I missing something here, or is "The banks made money!" basically a complete non-sequitur?

My understanding of the case was that the crime was Trump making poo poo up on the loan applications and tax filings, so the banks making money has absolutely nothing to do with it.

Nobody told hin that sini plenis piscis isn't actually a real legal precedent.

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

His buildings weren't even hard to value. There were assessors that came in to figure out how much Trump's buildings were worth. Trump just took their numbers and tripled them / added hundreds of millions to the valuation for fraudulent reasons.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

TOTAL EXONORATION

thank you, your Honor

:chaostrump:

small butter
Oct 8, 2011

So how hosed is Trump with this case? Will he be living in poverty, or will he move in with Jared and Ivanka? I assume they're billionaires as well and not in much legal jeopardy.

Also, didn't I hear that Trump tried to argue with the county that Mar a Lago was worth only $18m when they appraised it at $22m back in 2020? If so, isn't that an admittance?

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

small butter posted:

So how hosed is Trump with this case? Will he be living in poverty, or will he move in with Jared and Ivanka? I assume they're billionaires as well and not in much legal jeopardy.

Also, didn't I hear that Trump tried to argue with the county that Mar a Lago was worth only $18m when they appraised it at $22m back in 2020? If so, isn't that an admittance?

He got a summary judgement against him for a reason.

And he’s not gonna be destitute, probably, but it’s gonna mostly just be whatever he has in liquid assets and PAC stuff for him for a while. Which isn’t great with the whole ever mounting legal bills and presidential campaign things he’s got going on.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
It's going to be amazing watching Trump suck up every penny of Right Wing fundraising he can, and then immediately syphon it off to his pockets and lawyers. The only thing that's going to keep all the other races afloat is the sheer number of millionaire psychopaths, and the vast nature of their fortunes.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

BiggerBoat posted:

uh yeah that's just deutsch bank that you're describing

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Not really legal troubles related but this is a scathing iinside look at what a complete scumbag Trump is

https://www.cnn.com/2023/10/02/politics/john-kelly-donald-trump-us-service-members-veterans/index.html

Exclusive: John Kelly goes on the record to confirm several disturbing stories about Trump

I'd quote some excerpts but the whole thing is worth a read and pretty short.

Get ready for calls of what lying liar John Kelly is and him to the list of people picking on poor Donald.

Or it's fake news.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

small butter posted:

It doesn’t change his situation at all.

If he doesn’t win the presidency, he ends up in jail (of some kind) and the sharks come out for whatever money he has left, which I imagine won’t be much.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

BiggerBoat posted:

Not really legal troubles related but this is a scathing iinside look at what a complete scumbag Trump is

https://www.cnn.com/2023/10/02/politics/john-kelly-donald-trump-us-service-members-veterans/index.html

Exclusive: John Kelly goes on the record to confirm several disturbing stories about Trump

Get ready for calls of what lying liar John Kelly is and him to the list of people picking on poor Donald.

Or it's fake news.

These stories always piss me off because everyone's willing to talk poo poo years later for a book deal but nobody did a drat thing at the time

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

kelly falls into the camp of "unhappy that trump was ultimately more interested in his own glory than in purely advancing white nationalism" and might be one of the single biggest monsters from his administration

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

These stories always piss me off because everyone's willing to talk poo poo years later for a book deal but nobody did a drat thing at the time

Everything Kelly is saying there was public at the time. It's worse than "nobody did a drat thing", they all saw and heard it happen live and stood by him anyway. Kelly can sing his tunes all he wants now, he was there supporting Trump when it happened because it personally benefited him to do so.

Kelly isn't even showing remorse for being the longest standing chief of staff to the worst president. He's making noise to benefit from this book deal, another grift from a career piece of poo poo.

elhondo
Sep 20, 2012
Grimey Drawer
What book deal are people talking about? The article mentions books that are already published and not authored by Gen Kelly.

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

elhondo posted:

What book deal are people talking about? The article mentions books that are already published and not authored by Gen Kelly.

I took it to mean in the more general sense. "People aren't willing to do anything at the time when there's an opportunity to get paid later for airing out dirty laundry."

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

BiggerBoat posted:

Or it's fake news.

In which, Kelly finds his spine after the fact.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

FizFashizzle posted:

It doesn’t change his situation at all.

If he doesn’t win the presidency, he ends up in jail (of some kind) and the sharks come out for whatever money he has left, which I imagine won’t be much.

This case is a civil fraud case, so there is no chance of jail.

The worst punishment he could get would be having all of his businesses dissolved, paying all the profits he made from the fraudulent sales back, and paying $250 million in penalties and damages.

gregday
May 23, 2003

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

This case is a civil fraud case, so there is no chance of jail.

The worst punishment he could get would be having all of his businesses dissolved, paying all the profits he made from the fraudulent sales back, and paying $250 million in penalties and damages.

If he doesn’t win the presidency, he’s going to jail for the other crimes.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

BiggerBoat posted:

Then....why did you post it to the Trump Legal Troubles thread?

For actual Trump Legal Trouble:
https://twitter.com/Jose_Pagliery/status/1709211542237901009

That strips away what some interpreted as Trump's largest quasivictory yesterday. Also, Chutkan set a deadline for his lawyers to apply for their security clearances. (Jose is a Daily Beast reporter)

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery

Paracaidas posted:

Then....why did you post it to the Trump Legal Troubles thread?

For actual Trump Legal Trouble:
https://twitter.com/Jose_Pagliery/status/1709211542237901009

That strips away what some interpreted as Trump's largest quasivictory yesterday. Also, Chutkan set a deadline for his lawyers to apply for their security clearances. (Jose is a Daily Beast reporter)

"Every use of false financial statements in business starts the statute of limitations running again" lol so like, yesterday.

I was listening to a news podcast the other day that went down what it all means and generally the trump org is hosed proper. It's definitely going into the receivership, which means that all the stuff gets sold. Buildings, office equipment, all of it. From that cash the creditors are then paid out, anyone who's owed money by the now-dead NY trump org, and whatever is left over Trump himself gets. So maybe he gets a big pile of cash, which (lol) counts as income so he'll take a big tax bath in April. And that's it, he'll still probably have a poo poo ton of money in just straight cash after all is said and done (depending on the debt breaks) but that's not real estate or buildings or anything he can put his name on.
So someone correct me then if I'm wrong, but the current hearings that he's sitting in on right now are the damages hearings right? Because the liquidation is due to (civil) crimes, this is to determine the damages owed to the government (?) that will be paid out from the proceeds of the receivership selling off all the assets? So the order of things getting money is civil penalties (tbd by this hearing) -> creditors -> mr. trump.
There might not be much left at the end of that chain.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

El Spamo posted:

"Every use of false financial statements in business starts the statute of limitations running again" lol so like, yesterday.

So maybe he gets a big pile of cash which (lol) counts as income so he'll take a big tax bath in April. And that's it, he'll still probably have a poo poo ton of money in just straight cash after all is said and done (depending on the debt breaks) but that's not real estate or buildings or anything he can put his name on.
So someone correct me then if I'm wrong, but the current hearings that he's sitting in on right now are the damages hearings right? Because the liquidation is due to (civil) crimes, this is to determine the damages owed to the government (?) that will be paid out from the proceeds of the receivership selling off all the assets? So the order of things getting money is civil penalties (tbd by this hearing) -> creditors -> mr. trump.
There might not be much left at the end of that chain.

I think that he has been supported by Other People’s Money all along. He has no money of his own. At all.

Most of his real-estate assets are leveraged to the hilt because he has been robbing Peter to pay Paul for decades, and it’s beginning to sound like his organizations are so far over-leveraged/in debt that settling everything will leave a debit. House arrest is going to be something of a challenge if he’s homeless.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

PainterofCrap posted:

I think that he has been supported by Other People’s Money all along. He has no money of his own. At all.

Most of his real-estate assets are leveraged to the hilt because he has been robbing Peter to pay Paul for decades, and it’s beginning to sound like his organizations are so far over-leveraged/in debt that settling everything will leave a debit. House arrest is going to be something of a challenge if he’s homeless.

Would be hilarious if he was

I work with the homeless! I know where he can go for some shelter this winter if they take everything including the Largo! there are some very nice churches that house on a rotating basis for the winter, should get him and the secret service officer who would have to bunk with him through like April.

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

El Spamo posted:

It's definitely going into the receivership,

There will be appeals, but the crimes are obvious and irrefutable, so unless he gets a state court on his side it's likely done.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

Generally speaking he could move the Trump org out of New York to another state like Delaware or something. His New York properties are hosed, but I don't really know how much of his empire that actually makes up.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Bad news if you wanted trump to testify.

https://twitter.com/nbcnews/status/1709241960697831816?s=46&t=JBd6ZXmGQ3LmWL-ineTnAA

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

PainterofCrap posted:

I was always baffled at the way the media kept portraying him as a multi-billionaire in the 2015-6 campaign season, because it was well known that he was broke, that all of his buildings were owned by other people and just his renting his name, that every dollar he made went to service his debts. Real rich guys don't spend their days doing desperate poo poo like get-rich-quick seminars and branded MLM vitamin supplements. And yet the media kept uncritically repeating claims that he was worth $3bn or $5bn or $10bn. It was maddening.

I am really looking forward to the court-ordered unwinding of his rattletrap business empire, not least because it will show just how little he actually owned. I can't wait.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Simplex posted:

Generally speaking he could move the Trump org out of New York to another state like Delaware or something. His New York properties are hosed, but I don't really know how much of his empire that actually makes up.

AFAIK it's essentially all his businesses and properties including Mar a Lago