Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

grittyreboot posted:

Starfield: There's a Vanguard quest where you have to find a guy on Mars. I go to Mars and a dude at the bar tells me he's in hiding, but will tell me where he is if I clear out an abandoned mine full of spacers. Fair enough. I return to the dude and he gives me a key for a door in the SAME EXACT MINE I just killed my way through. So I had to spend a few minutes wandering through that mine, except now there's nothing to do but go to the very furthest end of it just to have the guy I tried to find in the first place tell me to meet at the same bar I just left. Then all they do is tell me to go to New Atlantis. I just feel we could've skipped a few steps here.

If you just do the same quest but from the bartender you end up at the same mine only without having to backtrack. That quest is dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

grittyreboot posted:

Starfield: There's a Vanguard quest where you have to find a guy on Mars. I go to Mars and a dude at the bar tells me he's in hiding, but will tell me where he is if I clear out an abandoned mine full of spacers. Fair enough. I return to the dude and he gives me a key for a door in the SAME EXACT MINE I just killed my way through. So I had to spend a few minutes wandering through that mine
You should have ascended the elevator at the end of your first visit, which you can then fast-travel back to and descend.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Strom Cuzewon posted:

My problem with the directional parries is that it felt like half the attack animations were too wavy and noisy for you to be able to accurately read which direction you needed to parry in. So I ended up relying on the HUD plugin to show me which direction to parry in, which uses up precious equipment slots, and makes me feel like i'm playing a David Cage game instead of being a badass murdering cyborg murdering cyborgs.

In my experience implant slots weren't all that precious because your options are kept really limited throughout the game, so I never felt like I was giving up anything to have the parry arrows on all game. But what it did do was make the parrying kind of mindless and uninteresting. Once you understand the timing you basically can't be touched by regular attacks, ever. Which is probably why then as you get further in the game bosses especially start throwing out lots more unblockable projectile attacks or spamming long combo attacks that can theoretically be perfectly parried but you probably won't be able to keep up. Or they just dump status effects on you.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

The Lone Badger posted:

You should have ascended the elevator at the end of your first visit, which you can then fast-travel back to and descend.

I searched for the elevator but I didn't find it. I was a little buzzed at the time.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

I am begging game developers here: if you interact with NPCs and objects in your game world by pressing UP, make it so that the only way to interact with it is by pressing straight up with the control stick, or just make us use the D-Pad. Lone Fungus has some tough platforming, and next to a tough jumping section they put a little interactive doohickey that lets you fly around a little eyeball, so you can scope out the jumps ahead of time. The problem is that this jumping section needs to start right next to where the little doohickey is, and anywhere above exactly 2 O'Clock and 10 O'Clock on the control stick technically counts as "up" on the control stick. So when I'm trying to jump up, and to the left, I'm naturally pressing that way on the control stick, taking control of the little doohickey. It's really loving with me.

bawk has a new favorite as of 20:36 on Sep 30, 2023

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
doohickey

bossy lady
Jul 9, 1983

bawk posted:

I am begging game developers here: if you interact with NPCs and objects in your game world by pressing UP, make it so that the only way to interact with it is by pressing straight up with the control stick, or just make us use the D-Pad. Lone Fungus has some tough platforming, and next to a tough jumping section they put a little interactive doohickey that lets you fly around a little eyeball, so you can scope out the jumps ahead of time. The problem is that this jumping section needs to start right next to where the little doohickey is, and anywhere above exactly 2 O'Clock and 10 O'Clock on the control stick technically counts as "up" on the control stick. So when I'm trying to jump up, and to the left, I'm naturally pressing that way on the control stick, taking control of the little doohickey. It's really loving with me.

IDK what it is but in like the past year or so I've started to notice how few games do this.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
Despite choosing the "female" character in Far Cry 5, they still constantly refer to me as "he," or "him." The subtitles try to obscure it by changing it to "'em" but you can hear it. "He" is just real obvious.

Come on, try harder.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

credburn posted:

Despite choosing the "female" character in Far Cry 5, they still constantly refer to me as "he," or "him." The subtitles try to obscure it by changing it to "'em" but you can hear it. "He" is just real obvious.

Come on, try harder.

Plot twist: it turns out the female character is trans, and every single person happens to be really lovely and passive-aggressive about misgendering.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

mm. don't think that's the case

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

credburn posted:

Come on, try harder.

They did such a 180 on this in Far Cry 6 because the female Dani absolutely knocks it out of the park, I honestly forgot the male Dani existed until I saw somebody else playing on Twitch.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Not being able to run in the Parade Outfit in DQXI is bullshit. I got places to go man, a whole world to save.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

bawk posted:

They did such a 180 on this in Far Cry 6 because the female Dani absolutely knocks it out of the park, I honestly forgot the male Dani existed until I saw somebody else playing on Twitch.
rear end Creed Greece was like that too. The Female option was so so much better.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Croccers posted:

rear end Creed Greece was like that too. The Female option was so so much better.

Like, unfathomably better.

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

Croccers posted:

Same with Cyberpunk too. Female V just had a waaay more characterful voice, especially whenever she was speaking as Johnny.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Croccers posted:

The only problem is that she was also great in the role she gets if you play as the guy. I don't know why they didn't go with the obvious solution: identical twins!

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I saw a tweet recently pointing out how it's basically universal that when there's a game that provides gender options for the protagonist, that also gives them extensive voice acting, the female voice is giving it the performance of a goddamn life while the male voice is Just Some Dude who occasionally raises their performance to a B+.

It was brought up about Cyberpunk 2077, but I can't think of a game where this doesn't apply.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

What's the deal with AssCreed Viking then? I picked the third option which I think changes between male and female protagonist, but so far it's been just the woman and the VA has been less than stellar

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
In Valhalla, you're a dude in Asgard, because you're a reincarnation of Odin who just happened to be a woman. That's it.

They're both pretty lifeless, especially after Kassaxios was the biggest and most charismatic horndog since Ezio.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The dude in F4 is better than the woman. Especially when high and sarcastic aka the best way to play

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
The dude in Fallout 4 was much better as Silver Shroud, which is the only metric.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
i thought the f4 lady va was way better, especially as the shroud, she just hammed up every line to within an inch of its life

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Cleretic posted:

I saw a tweet recently pointing out how it's basically universal that when there's a game that provides gender options for the protagonist, that also gives them extensive voice acting, the female voice is giving it the performance of a goddamn life while the male voice is Just Some Dude who occasionally raises their performance to a B+.

It was brought up about Cyberpunk 2077, but I can't think of a game where this doesn't apply.

Mass Effect at least shows that this can be down to direction rather than the voice actor. Mark Meer has a lot of range when directed appropriately, he voices most of the volus and krogan in the series for example. But for Shepard he was directed to be a serious, stoic space hero dude.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Also Mr.Sheffield in SR2 blows every other voice option out of the water, male and female.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

kazil posted:

What's the deal with AssCreed Viking then? I picked the third option which I think changes between male and female protagonist, but so far it's been just the woman and the VA has been less than stellar

I honestly prefer Guyvor VA-wise.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Elden Ring has the worst voiced protagonist. the AAAAAOUUUGGGG my lady does when I take a hit with significant knockback is branded into my mind

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I hate when videogame protagonists get decorum-poisoned in the face of severe bullshit. Clive from FF16 for example, in the main quest he's all let's gently caress the crystals up to force the world into a new age, WOO! and in some early sidequests he shows some of that passion, but towards the end of some of the sidequest lines he feels like he allows the fact that he cares about people get in the way of when they just are sucking, like in the desert town where everyone turns on the secret bearer despite him being the only reason they are still alive, and Clive's only response is to make excuses for them like "Oh, their pride was just hurt by the lie, maybe if we give them time..." No Clive, call them out to their faces, tell them that they are all pieces of poo poo that maybe you should have left to the bandits as they are worthless as a community. Get mean. Make them feel worse. Don't let them forget for a single moment that THEY ARE THE BAD GUY!

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

BioEnchanted posted:

I hate when videogame protagonists get decorum-poisoned in the face of severe bullshit. Clive from FF16 for example, in the main quest he's all let's gently caress the crystals up to force the world into a new age, WOO! and in some early sidequests he shows some of that passion, but towards the end of some of the sidequest lines he feels like he allows the fact that he cares about people get in the way of when they just are sucking, like in the desert town where everyone turns on the secret bearer despite him being the only reason they are still alive, and Clive's only response is to make excuses for them like "Oh, their pride was just hurt by the lie, maybe if we give them time..." No Clive, call them out to their faces, tell them that they are all pieces of poo poo that maybe you should have left to the bandits as they are worthless as a community. Get mean. Make them feel worse. Don't let them forget for a single moment that THEY ARE THE BAD GUY!

Congratulations, FFXVI, the only thing you learned from Persona 5 was the absolute worst thing it was possible to learn from it.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

And then what? "Hey, you guys loving suck, and you're worthless as a community!" - "Oh yeah? Who asked you? gently caress off along with the bearer if you love him so much!" L'ubor gets driven away. Villagers are now firmly entrenched against bearers and will be useless to Clive's plans. Bandits return and sack the place. Sooner or later the whole lot goes akashic and Clive will have to put them all down. Hope that brief hit of personal satisfaction was worth it.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Did I miss something? It's not like the end was "the village was saved but nothing changed because we live in a society".

In the end everyone comes around and realizes they were wrong and stuff.

WaltherFeng has a new favorite as of 10:41 on Oct 3, 2023

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Croccers posted:

IIRC it eventually came out that the devs just wanted to have Kassandra as the main character but Ubi execs said they had to have a guy option.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Kassandra is the better option but I still liked Alexios' real muscle-brained dolt energy.

Germansimp
May 28, 2013

muscles like this! posted:

IIRC it eventually came out that the devs just wanted to have Kassandra as the main character but Ubi execs said they had to have a guy option.

At least the Ubi execs forcing a male option in gave us this great bit:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mlN3Jrnj4Qc&t=42s

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

ishikabibble posted:

Same with Cyberpunk too. Female V just had a waaay more characterful voice, especially whenever she was speaking as Johnny.

Doing my second playthrough as Female V, haven't gotten to those parts yet.

Have been called C*** more times in the first 30 minutes than I think I've ever heard in my life.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Germansimp posted:

The way he just stands there hands on hips after that proclamation :lmao:

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

CzarChasm posted:

Doing my second playthrough as Female V, haven't gotten to those parts yet.

Have been called C*** more times in the first 30 minutes than I think I've ever heard in my life.

I started a new game to check out the update and I forgot just how LONG the game takes to get going.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Germansimp posted:

I love that quest so much.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

My Lovely Horse posted:

And then what? "Hey, you guys loving suck, and you're worthless as a community!" - "Oh yeah? Who asked you? gently caress off along with the bearer if you love him so much!" L'ubor gets driven away. Villagers are now firmly entrenched against bearers and will be useless to Clive's plans. Bandits return and sack the place. Sooner or later the whole lot goes akashic and Clive will have to put them all down. Hope that brief hit of personal satisfaction was worth it.

To make my point clearer as I was just kind of sore in that last post - in earlier sidequests Clive DOES call people out, although mainly at that garbage village by the imperial capital early on, so as the situation starts to deteriorate in this later game area the fact that he doesn't even challenge their basic points and that's what had riled me up, IE "but he lied to us!" "And you are proving exactly why that was necessary with this reaction, if he'd told you you'd have sold him into slavery." "He's a Bearer!" "So? Without which you'd be dead right now."

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

CzarChasm posted:

Yeah Night City goes hard on that for sure. If I didn't spend a fair amount of time around Glaswegians irl, it'd bother me more I suspect . But it definitely stands out.

Does male V get called something different?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Danger - Octopus! posted:

Yeah Night City goes hard on that for sure. If I didn't spend a fair amount of time around Glaswegians irl, it'd bother me more I suspect . But it definitely stands out.

Does male V get called something different?

He gets called a C***

(cock)