Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

Sardonik posted:

Don't worry too much about the minutiae, just focus on the core dynamic of short sellers, who make bets that a company is going to lose value, vs stockholders, who want the value to go up.

Or more specifically the ridiculous knots that the Apes twist that dynamic into.

I will say that it could have probably used a more plain explanation of what a short is - I know he gave the technically correct definition but burying it among the ape-speak at the beginning made it more confusing that it might need to be for those who didn't know. Still a great video, but I could see that losing people.

That being said, the entire time all I could think of was that moment from The Dark Knight where some rando at WayneTech confronts Morgan Freeman's character with a threat to reveal Batman's identity and Freeman's response was effectively "So you've got proof that Bruce Wayne has billions of dollars invested in military hardware that's able to take down entire criminal organizations with nobody seeing a thing and you're planning to blackmail him?"

Hey guys, I think I found a hole in their plan. And this one was a ride - I've never been one for Reddit so unlike all his other conspiracy ones this was 99% new to me besides the initial short squeeze.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

stillvisions posted:

I will say that it could have probably used a more plain explanation of what a short is - I know he gave the technically correct definition but burying it among the ape-speak at the beginning made it more confusing that it might need to be for those who didn't know. Still a great video, but I could see that losing people.

I mean he does explain it plainly after that. With a history of the practice and everything

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
My understanding of all the terms in Dan Olson's video is limited, and definitely not helped by watching it in chunks over the course of days. Often I would feel like Zoolander, "But what is MOASS?"

But yeah, the real draw of the story is the sheer insanity of the Apes believing that they will become god kings of the world because they own some shares in Gamestop.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
the opening of 2001 but the apes are going crazy and killing each other over stonks and nfts lol

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Alacron posted:

My understanding of all the terms in Dan Olson's video is limited, and definitely not helped by watching it in chunks over the course of days. Often I would feel like Zoolander, "But what is MOASS?"

But yeah, the real draw of the story is the sheer insanity of the Apes believing that they will become god kings of the world because they own some shares in Gamestop.

I appreciate that Dan saw the opportunity to say the word "MOASS" as often as he could for two straight hours and just rode that horse right into oblivion.

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002

The BBBY apes have been freaking out all day because one of them had a glitch showing $25/share and they cant stop screaming at each other about how that's not enough money. Whenever someone suggests what enough money per share would be, that person gets screamed at for that number being too low, get called a psyop shill, and get banned. It's so awesome

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
MOASS is a Stormlight character.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

HolePisser1982 posted:

The BBBY apes have been freaking out all day because one of them had a glitch showing $25/share and they cant stop screaming at each other about how that's not enough money. Whenever someone suggests what enough money per share would be, that person gets screamed at for that number being too low, get called a psyop shill, and get banned. It's so awesome

anyone who is critical of them actually loves Mt. Everest Star Citizen covid Short Sellers

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

BBBY is still going to the moon because [spins wheel] ice cream

https://twitter.com/UCopy417/status/1709103470924435502

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

repiv posted:

BBBY is still going to the moon because [spins wheel] ice cream

https://twitter.com/UCopy417/status/1709103470924435502

Honestly the way some of these people behave is enough to get them sectioned.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

I've been seeing people say not to watch dumb money, is it bad?

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

The Saddest Rhino posted:

I've been seeing people say not to watch dumb money, is it bad?
If I had to guess, the movie's going to suffer from the same kind of bad interpretations as Wolf of Wall Street and The Big Short, and that it will almost certainly energize the apes towards even dumber financial decisions.

Also it's 100% not going to even acknowledge that apes exist.

Paul Dano, tho. Love me some Paul Dano.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!

The 7th Guest posted:

for tom scott's regular channel, 30 minutes is practically a quinton reviews length

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QqRREz0iBes

Wish Tom did a couple more vids while he was in Chile. He covered Cybersyn in one of his quiz show eps ages ago but the format kinda sucked

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1KzcZZ_3vL8

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
I watched the video yesterday and understood what MOASS stood for but I already forgot because even my usually stubborn brain realized this was information to be safely ejected ASAP

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

the opening of 2001 but the apes are going crazy and killing each other over stonks and nfts lol
one of the nft cartoon series probably actually did put bored apes in 2001 opening since i can't imagine they had any original thoughts in their head

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

the only thing I really knew about these “apes” was that a bunch of nerds bought gamestop stocks at the start of the pandemic when it happened, but that quickly faded into obscurity for me afterwards. I was not prepared for the sheer insanity this whole mess had devolved into over the last two years.

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.
Whang's video today is more interesting for the fact that it's sponsored *by* SomethingAwful. That seems like a bit of a shift.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUTHEX7mR_0

So if we see a random wave of new folks, well, that might be why.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

Insurrectionist posted:

I watched the video yesterday and understood what MOASS stood for but I already forgot because even my usually stubborn brain realized this was information to be safely ejected ASAP

MOASS is what yo momma have

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack

stillvisions posted:

That being said, the entire time all I could think of was that moment from The Dark Knight where some rando at WayneTech confronts Morgan Freeman's character with a threat to reveal Batman's identity and Freeman's response was effectively "So you've got proof that Bruce Wayne has billions of dollars invested in military hardware that's able to take down entire criminal organizations with nobody seeing a thing and you're planning to blackmail him?"

Hey guys, I think I found a hole in their plan. And this one was a ride - I've never been one for Reddit so unlike all his other conspiracy ones this was 99% new to me besides the initial short squeeze.

For me, as the video began to delve into the psychology of the memestock movement that led to this conspiracy all I could think of was this Simpsons bit...

logger
Jun 28, 2008

...and in what manner the Ancyent Marinere came back to his own Country.
Soiled Meat

So you are telling us to buy GME and we are going to make an ocean of money, got it.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

I must admit the first time I heard Dan use the phrase ‘wife changing amount of money’ I thought I misheard.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin
Refusing to explain the jargon until he absolutely has to helps drill down on the fact that, despite all of their silliness, the apes are terrible people. They're not angry at the system, they just want to be the ones in charge.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

slurp juice

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

stillvisions posted:

Whang's video today is more interesting for the fact that it's sponsored *by* SomethingAwful. That seems like a bit of a shift.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUTHEX7mR_0

So if we see a random wave of new folks, well, that might be why.

Lmao, that's actually quite cool.

I'll totally take a SomethingAwful sponsorship. Better than all the other shite.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

If you don't got sponsorblock and Adblock origins on at all times at this point I don't know what to say

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Olsen drops the word "apocalyptic" several times during the video so I was quite surprised he never took a turn to discuss literal apocalyptic religious cults organised around revealed secret knowledge whose memberships respond to the non-eventuation of the End by doubling down in faith and the same kind of twisted logic to rearrange their revelations to align with a new date.

Covermeinsunshine
Sep 15, 2021

Ghostlight posted:

Olsen drops the word "apocalyptic" several times during the video so I was quite surprised he never took a turn to discuss literal apocalyptic religious cults organised around revealed secret knowledge whose memberships respond to the non-eventuation of the End by doubling down in faith and the same kind of twisted logic to rearrange their revelations to align with a new date.

He already did something like that in "Search for flat earth"

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
That turn halfway into Dan's flat earth video is still some of the finest documentary "twists" I've ever seen. From "haha" to "oh no" in a few seconds.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

That's part of why I was surprised that connection was never explicitly made.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
i imagine he just didn't want to repeat himself

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

Froghammer posted:

Refusing to explain the jargon until he absolutely has to helps drill down on the fact that, despite all of their silliness, the apes are terrible people. They're not angry at the system, they just want to be the ones in charge.

Like the NFT set, they are the finance versions of incels - they agree that inequality exists, they're just angry to not be on the self-beneficial side of it.

Yvonmukluk posted:

I must admit the first time I heard Dan use the phrase ‘wife changing amount of money’ I thought I misheard.

When I saw the word "Cohencidence" early without Dan calling attention to it I assumed that was going to be a anti-Semitic dog whistle and was surprised in this case it's because of the name one of their messiahs. That being said I'm sure all the usual "Them" are waved about as well.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
there's kinda the parallel too there with like the fact that if most incels could stop the simmering resentment thing and dealt with getting a mild makeover they could probably stop being incels. like it's a fate no one puts on you but you. these ape guys all spend tons of time thinking about the stock market, and self-evidently have (or had) enough capital to blow it on a stupid stock purchase. if they were willing to do any kind of mild work or study or were willing to be patient they could make money on stocks. just, like, other stocks. the wallstreetbets redditors are all basically exactly one drop less ignorant than the apes but some of them make money on occasion.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Gaius Marius posted:

If you don't got sponsorblock and Adblock origins on at all times at this point I don't know what to say

I only discovered sponsorblock like a month and a half ago and now I can never go back.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?

Gaius Marius posted:

I mostly use the Youtube app on my iPhone. That's how the bastards get me to pay for premium every month.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

I mostly use the Youtube app on my iPhone. That's how the bastards get me to pay for premium every month.
You can just pay a one-time fee for Vinegar.

SponsorBlock is also available.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Edit: Iphone so nevermind anyway.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Yvonmukluk posted:

Loved that with this and several other terms, he just kept using the off-kilter parlance and didn't bother to explain anything until way deeper into the video. It's like doing world-building in a fictional setting. Don't pause for exposition, just immerse your audience!

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
It's the hazel Halloween special!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xhhql_gpDY

No.1 Special
Apr 4, 2011
Patrick H Willems - Who is Killing Cinema - A Murder Mystery

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQF82Kj-v0E

Seems like a downer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Ghostlight posted:

He doesn't have to, man; it's all there. Whether it's the Rapture, the Storm, the Day of the Rope, or MOASS, it's the same drat thing.