Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

priznat posted:

Lmao. I just loved Hannibal’s “yeah but I wasn’t listening so somebody bring me up to speed please”

That show gets the best cameos.

lmao it's such a good line

I say that to my boss in team meetings sometimes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
A new process is in the works between us and department B. This has been in the works for several months and we're at the point we're just waiting for B to handle it all internally before we go live. New CTIO is yelling to make it happen yesterday.

We wrote the procedure and flow charts for them to follow. We wrote all of the documentation they'll ever need. We then hosted two training sessions to go over everything they'll need to know. We've made it clear that we're available 24/7 to assist in the handoff in case anything comes up. Department B decided out of the blue as of last week, that our training was no longer enough and they will not proceed without training from the corporate training department. So now we need to give the training that B has already had to the training department, so that they could give it to department B a 3rd time.

My 4 year old is less subtle with his stalling tactics than this.

e: I should mention, the two training sessions were identical, we did it to reinforce the knowledge transfer. What we're asking them to do is very easy, pretty basic, and is on something they should already have a general understanding of.

Renegret fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Oct 2, 2023

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Renegret posted:

My 4 year old is less subtle with his stalling tactics than this.

I dunno, he's probably more subtle about it than they are

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Eric the Mauve posted:

I dunno, he's probably more subtle about it than they are

he's not a smart kid

he learned from me after all

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Renegret posted:

he's not a smart kid

he learned from me after all

Av / post combo etc

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

It has been two zero days since last incident.
Big Super Slapstick Hunk
If he can get any knowledge out of you, he is in fact a smart kid.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

SerthVarnee posted:

If he can get any knowledge out of you, he is in fact a smart kid.

if the only thing he gets is a general disdain for authority figures and a desire to guillotine anyone with the term "chief" in their job title then I'll consider it a success.

And as an authority figure in his life, I can already say with confidence that he's not a fan of authority.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

This morning, my dotted-line Director sent out a 15-minute calendar meeting for this afternoon titled "Team Update" and requested everyone invited (~25 people) rearrange their calendars to attend. Okay, I go in expecting a major restructure or lay-offs. Nope. Sr. Manager who I barely work with is getting promoted, and the Director wanted to get everyone online together to congratulate him.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
:dance: I just got one of my reports a promotion and $22K raise. :dance:

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Sundae posted:

That's a nice accomplishment, especially in our current environment.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Sundae posted:

That sounds pretty amazing. You're doing the good manager thing again.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

mllaneza posted:

That's a nice accomplishment, especially in our current environment.

Gonna save my real victory lap for after I see if my other three promotion proposals went through. If they did, oh man. We'll see, though.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Sundae posted:

Nice!

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

Linked to current thread title, it is concerning how many videos companies have of people straight up dying and then get trotted out for safety awareness. Like I don't want to watch snuff films at work thanks.

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

A fat guy, a watermelon, and a stack of magazines?
Family.
My local transit authority has been having a hard time hiring bus drivers, so sometimes busses are just cancelled without notice. So when combined with RTO this leads to me waiting for a bus that doesn’t come, and then waiting 40 minutes for the next one.

This creates such rage in me that I never experienced when I was exclusively WFH. Good energy to bring into the office.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

Deadite posted:

My local transit authority has been having a hard time hiring bus drivers, so sometimes busses are just cancelled without notice. So when combined with RTO this leads to me waiting for a bus that doesn’t come, and then waiting 40 minutes for the next one.

This creates such rage in me that I never experienced when I was exclusively WFH. Good energy to bring into the office.

But the synergy of in-person collaboration and sudden sparks of unplanned innovation through chance hallway encounters makes it all worth it.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
hi

quick question

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

A fat guy, a watermelon, and a stack of magazines?
Family.

Good-Natured Filth posted:

But the synergy of in-person collaboration and sudden sparks of unplanned innovation through chance hallway encounters makes it all worth it.

Oh man I think I’ve complained about this before but I’m the only one on my team in this state but I’m still required to come to the office now. No amount of complaining can get me a work from home allowance.

RTO has really highlighted how little management cares about employee feedback. I’ve had two coworkers and a manager on a different team call out RTO as a big reason for leaving the company in their farewell emails

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck

Deadite posted:

Oh man I think I’ve complained about this before but I’m the only one on my team in this state but I’m still required to come to the office now. No amount of complaining can get me a work from home allowance.

I just joined a fairly large company after getting laid off from another large company in the tech layoffs. It was weird working at a remote only gig for 6 months, never meeting except via zoom, then getting laid off with 2000 other people I never met. Very isolating experience.

So I went into this new job glass half full, knowing the commute wasn’t too bad and I’d get to work with people again. 50% Hybrid, not the worst possible thing and it was one of the few places I got to the final round with anyway. (This was a very rough summer for job searching in tech, despite my 10+ YOE)

But it turns out my entire team is 90 minutes away at a different location. Not a single person here. So now I’m in a multi-billion dollar co-working space (we don’t get our own desk) and there’s talk of full RTO soon. Fortunately I can transfer teams after a certain point (and may look for a different and smaller job after a year), but it does make my eye twitch having to deal with traffic again just to be a literal number on an attendance sheet.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Deadite posted:

RTO has really highlighted how little management cares about employee feedback. I’ve had two coworkers and a manager on a different team call out RTO as a big reason for leaving the company in their farewell emails

We spent millions and millions of not our own personal, of course dollars on this steel and glass monument to our own magnificence and by god you are going to go there and pay homage.

Delorence Fickle
Feb 21, 2011
Going from a position that was in a production quota/always on/docflow never stops environment to a "hurry up and wait" position is jarring as hell. There are days when I'm doing nothing, then one week in a month where there's an absolute deluge of work coming in.

I like it.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Sundae posted:

:perfect:

Renegret posted:

hi

quick question
⚰️

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Oct 3, 2023

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Renegret posted:

hi

quick question

Sorry just saw this whats up

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck

Lockback posted:

Sorry just saw this whats up

*sends zoom invite, no other message*

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
It's a "select all, mark as read" kind of day.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Nybble posted:

*sends zoom invite, no other message*

*Invite out of the blue from your boss for a 15 minute meeting tomorrow at 11am with no explanation*

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Trabant posted:

is there another kind of day?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

is there another kind of day?

select all shift+delete

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Deadite posted:

RTO has really highlighted how little management cares about employee feedback.

They only care if you agree with them and they can trumpet that. Otherwise go gently caress yourself.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

Trabant posted:

During the time when the preliminaries of Leoben suspended military operations, Napoleon was not anxious to reply immediately to all letters. He took a fancy to do, not exactly as Cardinal Dubois did, when he threw into the fire the letters he had received, saying, ‘There! my correspondents are answered,’ but something of the same kind. To satisfy himself that people wrote too much, and lost, in trifling and useless answers, valuable time, he told me to open only the letters which came by extraordinary couriers, and to leave all the rest for three weeks in the basket.

At the end of that time it was unnecessary to reply to four-fifths of these communications

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Xguard86 posted:

During the time when the preliminaries of Leoben suspended military operations, Napoleon was not anxious to reply immediately to all letters. He took a fancy to do, not exactly as Cardinal Dubois did, when he threw into the fire the letters he had received, saying, ‘There! my correspondents are answered,’ but something of the same kind. To satisfy himself that people wrote too much, and lost, in trifling and useless answers, valuable time, he told me to open only the letters which came by extraordinary couriers, and to leave all the rest for three weeks in the basket.

At the end of that time it was unnecessary to reply to four-fifths of these communications

Which is noteworthy because Napoleon was a prolific letter writer. He wrote a gently caress ton of letters, 36,000 known, probably more. Sometimes he was writing upwards of 20 a day, about all kinds of poo poo, like how he noticed that one of the footmen in a castle he was at seemed to be drinking too much and to watch out for that.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Awkward Davies posted:

Which is noteworthy because Napoleon was a prolific letter writer. He wrote a gently caress ton of letters, 36,000 known, probably more. Sometimes he was writing upwards of 20 a day, about all kinds of poo poo, like how he noticed that one of the footmen in a castle he was at seemed to be drinking too much and to watch out for that.

Napoleon definitely would have been a twitter superstar

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

"To comply with X you must implement a control to ensure Y and this includes third party tools"
"ok is that part of the third party onboarding process?"
"Yes"
"So can we point to that as our control?"
"No"
"Why not?"
"Because that's their control not yours"

Ah, the "out of control control function" strikes again! "Hey everybody, here's something we dreamt up that you all have to do, don't ask whether any other company does this or whether it's proportional to the problem, just do it. We will not tell you how to comply, only that you must evidence compliance, and you must come up with these individually, they cannot be shared. There is no funding for this.

You have one week."

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

It has been two zero days since last incident.
Big Super Slapstick Hunk
Reference your CEO and his/her excellent example in this regard as your reasoning for your specific arbitrary implementation.

When people ask for proof, mention that access to it is restricted but they could try to embarrass the CEO into making it publicly available.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

Awkward Davies posted:

Haha I didn't know that part. So he's just blasting everyone with his poo poo and accepting nothing on his end?

A true leader.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!
Hi, just checking in on the below, I hope you were able to answer their question!

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
This thread is making things happen on real life

5:15 invite to a 9:00 am meeting tomorrow to be a technical resource

"We will share the problem on the call"

Just send me the issue now. 99% I circle or error, maybe add an arrow or some lighting bolts, idgaf.

This does not need to be a verbal description or worse a zoom share of the error on your screen

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

Awkward Davies posted:

The original poo poo poster?

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Discendo Vox posted:

Hi, just checking in on the below, I hope you were able to answer their question!

I have to do that sometimes, as a sort-of shot across the bow. "Answer my underling's question. A manager has entered the e-mail chain, motherfucker."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Sundae posted:

I have to do that sometimes, as a sort-of shot across the bow. "Answer my underling's question. A manager has entered the e-mail chain, motherfucker."

"Don't make me tattle up the chain any further" is a pretty big part of my job